|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 12:41 PM EST||
CABOT, Vt., March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the major obstacles many of us face on the path to eating a healthy diet is the same we face when it comes to goals like exercising more, taking a class, volunteering, or starting a business. The modern schedule is so crammed with activities, responsibilities, and commitments that we're often unable to set aside time for even the most important things, like our health. A lifestyle filled with poor food decisions will only add more stress to busy days, which can negatively affect health even further; obviously, something an individual struggling to find the time to eat healthy cannot afford. In observance of National Nutrition Month, Cabot Creamery's Registered Dietitians have developed a list of simple meal management tips, along with a few easy to prepare and delicious recipes, to help us continue to eat better and feel great.
"One of the best parts of March for many people is the beginning of daylight savings time," says Regan Jones, Cabot Health Team Member and Registered Dietitian. "As we 'spring forward,' it begins to stay lighter longer in the evenings, which allows us to fill up our schedules with sports practices and other outdoor adventures. The downside of these longer, busier nights is that many people find themselves struggling to eat healthy. Instead of giving in to fast food runs on these longer days, Cabot's Registered Dietitians want to show you that it's possible to eat healthy even when you're busy."
To keep busy families on track, the Cabot Health Team has created a list of simple tips that are easy to incorporate in any schedule:
- Make a meal plan. Take a little time to plan out your meals for the week before heading to the grocery store. This takes the guesswork out of figuring out what to make for dinner after a busy day and makes it easy to come home and prepare a quick, healthy meal.
- Use your crockpot. Slow-cooker meals, like Cabot's Lightenup! Rotisserie Chicken Chili, are about as simple as they come. Just dump everything into the pot, set the timer and dinner will be waiting for you when you get home.
- Fill your freezer. Instead of cooking just enough to feed your family for one meal, double the recipe and freeze half. On a busy night, simply pull the leftovers out of the freezer, reheat and serve.
- Prep food on the weekends. Spending even an hour on the weekend prepping food can make a huge difference during a busy week.
Prepping foods on the weekend is one of the smartest ways to make mealtime extremely quick and easy during the week. Save time on your busiest nights by:
- Bake some chicken breasts. Slice them up and use on salads and sandwiches.
- Chop some veggies and hard-boil some eggs for quick snacks.
- Cook a batch of high-protein, Greek-Style yogurt pancakes and freeze. When you need a quick breakfast, simply defrost a few, top with your favorite nut butter and eat!
- Make a big pot of soup that's loaded with beans, lean protein, and veggies - like Cabot's Lentil-Veggie Soup with Cheddar Croutons - for easy lunches and dinners.
- Mix together some Greek yogurt, chopped fruit and nuts and freeze in ice cube trays. Pop a few out on a busy day for a quick, protein-packed snack!
"On particularly busy days, you can also extend the feeling of fullness by adding protein to your meals," says Jones. "Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt are perfect. You can stir some Greek-Style yogurt into your favorite sauce just before serving for an added protein boost, top veggies with a little shredded cheese, or bake some quick breads or muffins with Greek-Style yogurt for extra protein and calcium."
For a full day of time saving tastes, try Cabot's High Protein Crunchy Pancakes for breakfast, Southwestern Corn, Avocado, & Pepper Jack Salad for lunch, Apple-Cheddar Crisps for a power snack, and Grilled Cheesy Portabello Caps with Turkey & Sage for a savory dinner. Find even more simple, satisfying recipes at cabotcheese.coop/recipes.
HIGH PROTEIN CRUNCHY PANCAKES
Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup "complete" buttermilk pancake mix
1/2 cup (2 scoops) Cabot Whey Protein Powder
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 cup water
1 cup Cabot 2% Strawberry Greek-Style Yogurt or Cabot 2% Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt
1. In food processor, combine pancake mix, whey protein powder and walnuts; process for 30 seconds or until walnuts are finely chopped.
2. Add water and process for 5 seconds or until blended; set aside.
3. Coat large skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto hot skillet or griddle (don't overcrowd pancakes) and cook for 1 minute or until bubbles appear. Turn over and cook until underside of pancake is golden. Serve topped with yogurt.
SOUTHWESTERN CORN, AVOCADO & PEPPER JACK SALAD
Makes 8 servings
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 ears fresh corn, husks removed and bases trimmed, or 2 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 California (Haas) avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
6 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1. Coarsely chop garlic. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mash into paste with blade of knife held sideways. Scrape into small bowl and whisk in oil, vinegar and pepper; set aside. (Alternatively, puree ingredients in blender.)
2. If using fresh corn, stand each ear up on end and cut down along cob with sharp knife, removing raw kernels in strips. Break up strips into kernels.
3. In large bowl, combine corn, avocados, cheddar, red peppers and cilantro or parsley. Pour reserved dressing on top and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Wash apple and slice into paper-thin (1/16 inch) rounds with mandoline or slicer.
3. Thinly slice cheddar with cheese slicer.
4. Place cheddar slice on apple slice; coat one side of second apple slice with flour and lay on top of cheese, flour side down. Press down on edges to seal and to encase cheese.
5. Bake on nonstick baking sheet for one hour; turn slices over and bake for approximately one hour more or until crisp. Let cool completely.
The chips can be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you have a small evergreen tree as a centerpiece, hang the apple chips on the tree as ornaments!
GRILLED CHEESEY PORTABELLO CAPS WITH TURKEY & SAGE
Makes 4 main-course servings
4 large portabello mushroom caps
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
4 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 ounces lean ground turkey
3 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar*, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Remove stems from mushroom caps. With spoon, scrape out and discard gills. Brush tops lightly with oil and set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix together shallots, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add turkey and knead together just until seasonings are evenly distributed. Divide turkey mixture among mushroom caps.
4. Place turkey-side-up on grill. Close lid (or cover with tent of foil) and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until turkey is cooked through to center.
5. Top with cheddar, cover again and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Widely known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by the 1200 dairy farm families of Agri-Mark, the Northeast's premier dairy cooperative, with farms located throughout New England and upstate New York. For more information on Cabot, visit: http://www.cabotcheese.coop.
Cabot Creamery Cooperative is the world's first cheese maker and dairy cooperative to achieve B Corporation Certification, a validation of its attention to environmental and social impacts on stakeholders.
Contact: Bob Schiers
1.888.214.9444 or [email protected]
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,696
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,790
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,196
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,312
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,455
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 400
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 365
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 831
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 28, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 425
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,093
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 375
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,773
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,119
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,637
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,101