|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 03:20 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of International Women's Day and its focus on women's social, political and economic advancement, nonprofit Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies® (TCRS) has released a study, Fourteen Facts About Women's Retirement Outlook (Fourteen Facts), to raise awareness of the financial risks women in the United States face and how they can improve their retirement outlook.
"Our research has found that women around the world are concerned that future generations of retirees will be worse off than current retirees," said Catherine Collinson, president of TCRS. "In the United States, women can take greater control of their financial futures by taking small steps today that can ultimately lead to a giant leap in terms of their long-term retirement readiness."
Based on select findings from the 14th Annual Transamerica Retirement Survey of Workers, Fourteen Facts highlights specific areas of opportunity for women (and offers comparisons to men). It also outlines some of the underlying reasons why women are at greater risk than men of not achieving a secure retirement, such as lower incomes, lower lifetime earnings, time out of the workforce to be a parent or caregiver, and longer life expectancies that drive a need for greater savings.
Fourteen Facts about women's retirement outlook are:
- Only 7 percent of women are "very confident" in their ability to fully retire with a comfortable lifestyle.
- Forty-three percent of women expect to work past age 70 or do not plan to retire.
- More than half (52 percent) plan to work after they retire.
- Most (65 percent) Baby Boomer women do not have a backup plan if forced into retirement sooner than expected.
- Fifty-three percent expect to self-fund their retirement through 401(k) or similar accounts or other savings and investments.
- Of women who have or plan to take time out of the workforce to be a caregiver, 74 percent believe it will negatively impact their ability to save for retirement.
- Forty-five percent of women work part-time so are less likely to have workplace retirement benefits.
- Sixty-one percent of women are offered a 401(k) or similar plan.
- Seventy-five percent of women who are offered an employee-funded plan participate in the plan.
- Six percent is the median contribution of women who participate in their employer's plan.
- Fifty-five percent of women are saving for retirement outside of work in an IRA, mutual fund, bank account, etc.
- The majority (59 percent) of women who estimate their financial need guess what their retirement savings needs would be rather than using a calculator or advisor.
- Only 35 percent of women use a professional financial advisor, most (79 percent) doing so for retirement investment recommendations.
- Many women (53 percent) want information that is easier to understand.
"How each woman ultimately plans on spending her retirement is unique, but the tools to help attain retirement readiness are common to all," said Collinson. "Women have made tremendous strides in recent decades in terms of educational attainment and careers. Now is the time to make even greater strides in achieving a financially secure retirement."
Seven specific steps that women can take to improve their retirement readiness include:
- Develop a retirement strategy and write it down. Envision your future retirement, formulate a goal for how much you will need to save each year (be sure to include employer-sponsored retirement plans and outside savings). When facing life's important decisions about whether to reduce work hours or take time out of the workforce to be a parent or caregiver, carefully consider the financial trade-offs and options to help mitigate the impact on long-term security.
- Calculate your retirement savings and income needs – and save at a level to achieve those needs.
- Consider retirement benefits as part of your total compensation. If your employer doesn't offer you a retirement plan, ask for one.
- If your employer offers a retirement plan, participate. Be sure that your annual salary deferral takes full advantage of employer matching contributions, if available. Contribute as much as you can.
- Get educated about retirement investing. Seek professional assistance if needed. Learn about possible ways to help make savings last longer including when to take withdrawals from retirement accounts to minimize taxes and penalties. Take advantage of the Saver's Credit if eligible.
- Have a backup plan in the event you are unable to work before your planned retirement. Identify potential cost-cutting lifestyle changes such as moving to a smaller home or taking on a roommate(s) and consider insurance products such as disability insurance and life insurance.
- Importantly, talk about retirement with family and close friends. An open dialogue with trusted loved ones about expectations of either needing to provide or receive financial support should be part of every woman's retirement strategy.
About Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies®
The Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies® (TCRS) is a division of Transamerica InstituteSM, a nonprofit, private foundation. TCRS is dedicated to educating the public on emerging trends surrounding retirement security in the U.S. Its research emphasizes employer-sponsored retirement plans, including companies and their employees, unemployed and underemployed workers, and the implications of legislative and regulatory changes. The Transamerica Institute is funded by contributions from Transamerica Life Insurance Company and its affiliates and may receive funds from unaffiliated third parties. For more information about TCRS, visit www.transamericacenter.org.
About the 14th Annual Retirement Survey
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies between January 21 – February 21, 2013, among a nationally representative sample of 3,651 full-time and part-time workers, including 1,902 women and 1,749 men. Potential respondents were targeted based on employment status and company size. Respondents met the following criteria: U.S. residents, age 18 or older, full-time workers or part-time workers in for-profit companies, and employer size of 10 or more. Results were weighted to account for differences between the population available via the Internet versus by telephone, and to ensure that each quota group had a representative sample based on the number of employees at companies in each employee size range. No estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.
SOURCE Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,425
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,254
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,234
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,910
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,313
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 28, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,396
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,314
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,292
The pace of innovation, vendor lock-in, production sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and managing risk… In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, will discuss how CIOs are challenged finding the balance of finding the right tools, technology and operational model that serves the business the best. He will discuss how clouds, open source software and infrastructure solutions have benefits but also drawbacks and how workload and operational portability between vendors...
May. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,863
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,491
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,189
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 27, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 761
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
May. 27, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,484
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,858