|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 08:15 AM EST||
HOUSTON, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans require an average of three-and-a-half days to adjust to daylight saving time, according to a new survey commissioned by Mattress Firm, Inc., yet less than half prepare for the lost hour of sleep.
The survey also revealed that 82 percent of Americans feel tired, groggy and irritable, as they adjust to the time change, and while more than half of adults indicate they need eight or more hours of sleep per night to feel well rested, only one-third of those polled receive the recommended seven and a half hours of sleep each evening.
"Americans do not sleep enough to adequately fuel their power-packed days," said Terry Cralle, registered nurse and certified clinical sleep educator. "We are all aware of the benefits of a good night's sleep, yet at the end of the day (literally), we aren't following proven sleep tips and making the necessary adjustments to improve our overall sleep health."
The survey also noted that stress levels and a good mattress were the top-two responses regarding what contributes to a good night's sleep. Yet, the survey also revealed that one in five adults sleep on a mattress that is nine years or older, which is past the healthy mattress lifespan of eight years, according to Cralle.
"People don't realize that an 8-year-old mattress can accumulate seven pounds of dead skin and 200 gallons of sweat in its lifetime," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO of Mattress Firm. "This can cause the mattresses' infrastructure to break down, compromising its ability to support your body, which results in excessive and unnecessary tossing and turning."
Cralle recommends proactively preparing for daylight saving time on March 9, by making long-term lifestyle modifications that will help with the adjustment to that lost hour of sleep. She offers the following eight tips to help adjust to daylight saving time:
- Replace Every 8—To ensure a good night's sleep, replace your mattress every eight years. Your mattress can nearly double in weight over that time, which can contribute to stiffness and numbness when you wake up, as well aggravate allergies and asthma. If you aren't sure how old your mattress is, check the tag.
- Medit8—If you sleep poorly due to stress, a few minutes of quiet time via meditation and other mind-relaxing tactics are a great way to begin your bedtime routine. Meditate while visualizing a calm environment and turn on soft music, which can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
- Activ8 your Heart R8—A recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that people who exercise get a better night's sleep. Plus, exercise can lift your mood, increase productivity and improve your overall physical health. Find an activity that you enjoy and make a habit of doing it regularly. It could be yoga, jogging, Zumba or hiking – it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you keep moving!
- Elimin8—Replace foods full of complex carbohydrates, sugar and other toxins with healthy fruits, veggies, proteins and grains. Healthy foods help us in sleeping longer, so skip the mid-afternoon sugar rush and reach for an apple instead.
- Decaffein8—Sleep and caffeine have a complicated relationship. The more tired you are; the more caffeine you tend to consume, but all that java makes it harder for you to fall asleep at night. Implement a mid-afternoon cutoff time for any caffeinated food or drinks and try to consume your most caffeinated beverage first thing in the morning.
- Deactiv8—Today our world runs on electronics, including mobile phones, iPads and HD TVs. Research proves that viewing electronics before bed wreaks havoc on your sleep patterns, actually stimulating the mind, rather than relaxing it. Pre-sleep alternatives are reading, writing in a journal or meditating. Also, try a good old fashioned alarm clock rather than your smart phone to avoid the temptation to power up before bed.
- Rejuvin8—Napping has several benefits including increased alertness, enhanced productivity and reduced mistakes and accidents. If you can fit one into your schedule, a 20 or 30-minute nap in a restful sleep environment can rejuvenate your day. However, it is important to nap smart so it does not disrupt to sleep you get at night.
- Regul8—To continually get a good night's sleep, dedicate yourself to a healthy sleep routine. By regulating the number of hours you sleep each night with a consistent bedtime and wake time, you will reinforce your body's sleep-wake cycle and have more energy when your alarm rings. Aim for seven and a half hours of sleep a night, make an effort to go to bed at the same time each night and establish a routine that lets your body know when it's time to wind down.
About Mattress Firm
Houston-based Mattress Firm is a high growth specialty retailer, recognized as the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, offering a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and related products from leading manufacturers. With more than 1,300 company-operated and franchised stores across 33 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, and highly-trained sales professionals. More information is available at mattressfirm.com.
SOURCE Mattress Firm
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 22, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 6,645
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 22, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,804
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 22, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,338
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 22, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,258
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Feb. 22, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 7,780
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 22, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,165
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Feb. 22, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 7,476
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Feb. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,515
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,375
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 22, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 941
Feb. 22, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,076
In the first article of this three-part series on hybrid cloud security, we discussed the Shared Responsibility Model and examined how the most common attack strategies persist, are amplified, or are mitigated as assets move from data centers to the cloud. Today, we’ll look at some of the unique security challenges that are introduced by public cloud environments. While cloud computing delivers many operational, cost-saving and security benefits, it takes place in a public, shared and on-demand ...
Feb. 22, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,492
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sudarshan Krishnamurthi, a Senior Manager, Business Strategy, at Cisco Systems, will discuss how IT and operational technology (OT) work together, as opposed to being in separate siloes as once was traditional. Attendees will learn how to fully leverage the power of IoT in their organization by bringing the two sides together and bridging the communication gap. He will also look at what good leadership must entail in order to accomplish this, and how IT managers ca...
Feb. 22, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,522
Feb. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 10,407
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,603