|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 08:15 AM EST||
HOUSTON, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans require an average of three-and-a-half days to adjust to daylight saving time, according to a new survey commissioned by Mattress Firm, Inc., yet less than half prepare for the lost hour of sleep.
The survey also revealed that 82 percent of Americans feel tired, groggy and irritable, as they adjust to the time change, and while more than half of adults indicate they need eight or more hours of sleep per night to feel well rested, only one-third of those polled receive the recommended seven and a half hours of sleep each evening.
"Americans do not sleep enough to adequately fuel their power-packed days," said Terry Cralle, registered nurse and certified clinical sleep educator. "We are all aware of the benefits of a good night's sleep, yet at the end of the day (literally), we aren't following proven sleep tips and making the necessary adjustments to improve our overall sleep health."
The survey also noted that stress levels and a good mattress were the top-two responses regarding what contributes to a good night's sleep. Yet, the survey also revealed that one in five adults sleep on a mattress that is nine years or older, which is past the healthy mattress lifespan of eight years, according to Cralle.
"People don't realize that an 8-year-old mattress can accumulate seven pounds of dead skin and 200 gallons of sweat in its lifetime," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO of Mattress Firm. "This can cause the mattresses' infrastructure to break down, compromising its ability to support your body, which results in excessive and unnecessary tossing and turning."
Cralle recommends proactively preparing for daylight saving time on March 9, by making long-term lifestyle modifications that will help with the adjustment to that lost hour of sleep. She offers the following eight tips to help adjust to daylight saving time:
- Replace Every 8—To ensure a good night's sleep, replace your mattress every eight years. Your mattress can nearly double in weight over that time, which can contribute to stiffness and numbness when you wake up, as well aggravate allergies and asthma. If you aren't sure how old your mattress is, check the tag.
- Medit8—If you sleep poorly due to stress, a few minutes of quiet time via meditation and other mind-relaxing tactics are a great way to begin your bedtime routine. Meditate while visualizing a calm environment and turn on soft music, which can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
- Activ8 your Heart R8—A recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that people who exercise get a better night's sleep. Plus, exercise can lift your mood, increase productivity and improve your overall physical health. Find an activity that you enjoy and make a habit of doing it regularly. It could be yoga, jogging, Zumba or hiking – it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you keep moving!
- Elimin8—Replace foods full of complex carbohydrates, sugar and other toxins with healthy fruits, veggies, proteins and grains. Healthy foods help us in sleeping longer, so skip the mid-afternoon sugar rush and reach for an apple instead.
- Decaffein8—Sleep and caffeine have a complicated relationship. The more tired you are; the more caffeine you tend to consume, but all that java makes it harder for you to fall asleep at night. Implement a mid-afternoon cutoff time for any caffeinated food or drinks and try to consume your most caffeinated beverage first thing in the morning.
- Deactiv8—Today our world runs on electronics, including mobile phones, iPads and HD TVs. Research proves that viewing electronics before bed wreaks havoc on your sleep patterns, actually stimulating the mind, rather than relaxing it. Pre-sleep alternatives are reading, writing in a journal or meditating. Also, try a good old fashioned alarm clock rather than your smart phone to avoid the temptation to power up before bed.
- Rejuvin8—Napping has several benefits including increased alertness, enhanced productivity and reduced mistakes and accidents. If you can fit one into your schedule, a 20 or 30-minute nap in a restful sleep environment can rejuvenate your day. However, it is important to nap smart so it does not disrupt to sleep you get at night.
- Regul8—To continually get a good night's sleep, dedicate yourself to a healthy sleep routine. By regulating the number of hours you sleep each night with a consistent bedtime and wake time, you will reinforce your body's sleep-wake cycle and have more energy when your alarm rings. Aim for seven and a half hours of sleep a night, make an effort to go to bed at the same time each night and establish a routine that lets your body know when it's time to wind down.
About Mattress Firm
Houston-based Mattress Firm is a high growth specialty retailer, recognized as the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, offering a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and related products from leading manufacturers. With more than 1,300 company-operated and franchised stores across 33 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, and highly-trained sales professionals. More information is available at mattressfirm.com.
SOURCE Mattress Firm
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 517
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,986
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,599
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,550
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 274
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 192
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 812
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 2, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,618
In 2014, the market witnessed a massive migration to the cloud as enterprises finally overcame their fears of the cloud’s viability, security, etc. Over the past 18 months, AWS, Google and Microsoft have waged an ongoing battle through a wave of price cuts and new features. For IT executives, sorting through all the noise to make the best cloud investment decisions has become daunting. Enterprises can and are moving away from a "one size fits all" cloud approach. The new competitive field has ...
Sep. 2, 2015 09:45 AM EDT
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Sep. 2, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 557
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 2, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,542
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Sep. 2, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 376
eCube Systems has released NXTmonitor, a full featured application orchestration solution. NXTmonitor, which inherited the code base of NXTminder, has been extended to support multi-discipline processes and will act as a DevOps utility in a heterogeneous enterprise environment. Previously, NXTminder was packaged with NXTera middleware to configure and manage Entera and NXTera RPC servers. “Since we are widening the focus of this solution to DevOps, we felt the need to change the name to NXTmon...
Sep. 2, 2015 09:00 AM EDT
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 2, 2015 09:00 AM EDT
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as...
Sep. 2, 2015 08:45 AM EDT