|By Marketwired .||
|March 4, 2014 02:58 PM EST||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 03/04/14 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are still in party mode. Carnival and Mardi Gras celebrations may be winding down, but you won't have to wait too long for the next big reason to party -- St. Patrick's Day. On March 17th, the world will be celebrating the lucky Irish and the "fun" experts at Cheapflights.ca have compiled a Top 17 St. Patrick's Day Party Towns around the world where the streets (and pubs) will be lined with "green".
The lively Irish culture and influence reaches to every corner of the world. Below are seven of our picks for top St. Patrick's Day party towns (from a specially extended list of 17) found on this side of the pond. These are all spots where Irish music, song, dance and culture ... and a pint of Guinness (or two) will be on tap for St. Paddy's Day.
- Boston, Mass., United States - About 1 million celebrants flock to South Boston each year and new Mayor Martin J. Walsh may be there too, as talks are ongoing about including gay organizations in the festivities after a two-decade ban. It was in Boston that Saint Patrick's Day was first observed (by the Charitable Irish Society of Boston if you're wondering) but New York got in there first, holding a parade in 1762. It's the second-largest parade in the US though (again, New York is in first place). Along with the marching bands, colourful floats, Irish dancers, Veterans, St. Patricks, Storm Troopers and Darth Vaders that skip along the sea of green from West Broadway to Dorchester Avenue on March 16, there's a 5k road race and plenty of Craic Agus Ceol (fun and music) and, of course, a plethora of Irish pubs to have it in. Note: March 17 is also Evacuation Day, which marks the time following the Siege of Boston in the American Revolutionary War, when the British forces were evacuated from the city of Boston.
- New York, N.Y., United States - The world's oldest and largest parade is run entirely by volunteers. Some families have been volunteering, turning a stretch of New York green, for generations. There has been a St. Patrick's Day parade in New York since March 17, 1762. Although the day has become synonymous with exuberant, alcohol-fueled shenanigans, there's no drinking allowed along the parade route: Fifth Avenue between 44th Street and 79th Street. There's also a ban on gay rights groups or marchers with gay pride signs so the St Pat's For All parade in Queens, now in its 15th year, is another option.
- Chicago, Ill., United States - There are several miracles associated with St. Patrick. He converted the Pagan Irish to Christianity, brought people back from the dead (as well as a horse and some mad cows owned by his aunt). The greatest, of course, was driving the snakes out of Ireland. So, it makes sense that a river might miraculously turn green for a few hours on March 17. Every year, with a little bit of help from the local plumbers union, the Chicago River magically turns green; this year, the river will be dyed March 15 at 10 a.m. The city's parade route starts at the corner of Columbus Drive and Balbo then meanders North to Monroe. In another Chicago-inspired miracle, the White House fountains in Washington, D.C. will flow green. The link? Michelle Obama, a Chicagoan.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada - As one of the founding groups of Montreal, the Irish have always had their place in the Francophone city. This year, the parade is March 16 (the 191st consecutive parade starts from the corner of du Fort Street at noon and marches east as far as Phillips Square), but the United Irish Societies of Montreal start to celebrate in February by raising the Irish community flag outside Place Ville Marie. There's a Mass of Anticipation in early March, and an Awards Banquet at the end of the month puts a seal on the season. Partner pubs are a roll call of pure Irish-ness: Hurley's Irish Pub, McKibbin's Pub, Kelly's Pub, Old Dublin Pub and Duffy's Pub all serve coffee and breakfast before the parade and thousands of pints of the black stuff afterwards.
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Half a million spectators wearing some little shred of green line the parade route between Bloor Street and Queen Street at Nathan Philips Square. The Toronto St. Patrick's Day Parade is a festival of St. Patrick, Ireland, Canada and multiculturalism. There are colourful, spectacular floats from a variety of cultural groups. 2013's parade featured 70 marching sections and 28 bands. This year, at the 27th annual parade, there will be an Olympic gold medalist Grand Marshal (Katie Taylor, a boxer - the current Irish, European, World and Olympic Champion), dancers from the Native Canadian Centre and marchers from Scouts Canada. The Toronto festivities have some heavyweight sponsors including Aer Lingus, Jump into Ireland and McDonald's, which might be a popular place to wind up (Shamrock Shake, anyone?) after the St. Patrick's Day Pub Crawl March 15.
- Montserrat, Caribbean - Montserrat, a lush little island in the Caribbean is also nicknamed the Emerald Isle. That's where the similarity to the other Emerald Isle ends. Looking at temperature and rainfall, Montserrat enjoys a balmy 17-degree average temperature with about 400mm of rain each year. In Ireland, the average temperature is 10 degrees and average annual rainfall can be in the region of 1400mm. Montserrat has a strong Irish heritage, however: In the 17th century Irish Catholics, persecuted on other Caribbean islands, found a welcome home on Montserrat. The same Irish Catholics had originally been banished from Ireland by Oliver Cromwell. This is also the only country outside Ireland where St. Patrick's Day is a public holiday. A week-long St. Patrick's Festival (March 9-18) is held; it's a fun fusion of Irish, African and Caribbean culture, and one of Montserrat's most popular annual events. The festivities feature a Freedom Run and the Masqueraders (masked street dancers) will dance and prance to the sound of fifes and drums.
- New Orleans, La., United States - The St. Patrick's Day festivities in New Orleans run March 13-23. The city's Irish heritage stretches back to the 1840s, and in the home of Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day is done a little differently. It's the only parade where you can leave with the ingredients for a traditional Irish meal. During the Metairie Road St. Patrick's Day Parade -- the largest of the parades -- float riders chuck green beads and trinkets for the spectators to catch. They also pass down potatoes, carrots, cabbages, onions and seasonings for an Irish stew. But we don't know if the meat is distributed! The annual Metairie Road St. Patrick's Day Parade will take place from 11 a.m. until around 3 p.m. March 16. There are six parades in total and festivities are spread throughout the Greater New Orleans Area, including Jefferson Parish, the French Quarter and the Irish Channel.
Clearly, there are plenty of party options in the Americas for St. Patrick's Day. However, if you find yourself in any of the remaining corners of the world -- Europe, Asia or Africa -- then check out these towns where you are sure to have a memorable St. Paddy's Day: Dublin, Ireland; London, England; Birmingham, England; Cape Town, South Africa; Moscow, Russia; Tokyo, Japan; Seoul, South Korea; Munich, Germany; Bologna, Italy; and Sydney, Australia. To read the details on these and Cheapflights.ca's complete Top 17 St. Patrick's Day Party Towns, visit www.cheapflights.ca/travel/top-17-st-patricks-day-party-towns.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 15 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2534588
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 29, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 829
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,728
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Mar. 29, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,772
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,871
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,199
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 761
Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls "Bimodal IT," where business struggle to apply modern tools and practices to traditional monolithic applications. But these existing assets can be modernized and made more efficient without havin...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,646
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 327
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,244
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 738
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,844
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,298
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,299
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,274