|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 05:30 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NEXT GENERATION OBJECT STORAGE SUMMIT
Managing vast amounts of data within IT and business systems has always been a challenge. But with the rise of cloud, social media, mobile devices, sensor generated data and other technologies, organizations are now struggling to deal with an explosion in information known as unstructured data. To solve the unstructured data challenge, DataDirect Networks (DDN) is introducing a major update to its flexible object storage platform that supports the entire data life cycle across multiple geographies, simply and efficiently. With today's launch of the DDNTM "WOS® 360" full-spectrum solution, customers can deploy the industry's most versatile object storage with flexible access choices through the WOS Connect development program. Whether they operate in one or multiple data centers around the globe, organizations that require high performance or archive storage will now benefit from the highly efficient, easy-to-manage and vastly scalable benefits of object storage.
- DDN today announced a significant update to its WOS object storage platform, adding next-generation software features and capabilities that now make WOS the most complete and versatile object storage platform in the industry.
- The shift to object-based storage is accelerating quickly as a means of solving today's unstructured data storage challenges. According to the February 11, 2014 Gartner report on the Critical Capabilities for Object Storage, "The explosion in unstructured data, which is growing at 40 to 60 percent on a yearly basis in most enterprises, has catapulted object storage as an inexpensive, scalable, self-healing, multitenant platform for storing petabytes of data."i
- Available immediately, the WOS 360 full-spectrum object storage update enables users to build a highly reliable, infinitely-scalable and efficient storage pool for all their unstructured data needs. The WOS 360 update redefines the architecture of scale-out storage infrastructures through a broad set of sophisticated new data protection, archive, collaboration and distribution capabilities designed specifically to meet the five key object storage requirements of customers today: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- With the latest WOS 360 technology, a single object storage platform can support the complete lifecycle of unstructured data. It has never been easier or more cost-effective, for users to tune storage and data protections options to meet the requirements of any data set, in any location and with any storage architecture as IT needs change.
- New scale-out advancements in the WOS 360 update include Global ObjectAssureTM which builds on DDN's existing data protection schemes and provides customers with the broadest data protection capabilities available.
- Scale out options can now leverage single data center, multiple data center for data protection and data sharing, as well as long-term retention archive storage with the introduction of the new WOS Archive Node hardware option.
- In addition to these latest software and hardware platform updates, the company is also accelerating the growth of its partner ecosystem with a new application integration program called WOS Connect. This partner development program enables seamless integration and compatibility testing with WOS technology, as end users and application providers integrate object storage into their environments.
Modern Large Scale Applications Require Modern Scale-Out Storage Repositories
- Today's data intensive applications require a new approach to storage that addresses the five key requirements customers consider when defining the architecture of their scale-out storage infrastructures: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- While traditional tiered storage architectures reduce the overall TCO of storing data, for large scale environments where multiple locations, data types or applications may coexist in a single infrastructure, this paradigm is increasingly impractical, prompting users to consider less complex and more efficient alternatives to the file system approach.
- WOS 360 addresses these challenges as a platform that is uniquely enabled through an underlying NoFS (No File System) architecture. Unlike most object storage platforms which still have a POSIX file system layer on the disk level, WOS technology was designed as a true object storage platform, with a flat, single layer address structure where objects are stored in a contiguous group of blocks so that disk operations are minimized, performance is maximized and disks are used at full capacity.
Broad Range of Data Protection Schemes Provides Users with Choice and Flexibility to Adapt to Changing Business Needs
- With preservation, retention and deletion of data a critical requirement, WOS 360 offers the industry's broadest range of object storage protection schemes, ranging from smart replication to the company's ObjectAssure erasure coding offerings. Unlike traditional dispersed erasure encoding techniques that limit the choice in number of sites or data protection levels, WOS technology is the only platform that provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding, affording customers full flexibility to select the protection scheme that best meets their needs. Data protection mechanisms are policy-based and can be set up as granularly as per object.
- With the latest WOS update, DDN introduces Global ObjectAssure, a new kind of distributed erasure coding, designed for multi-site deployments where customers require very low-cost infrastructures for very large data sets. Global ObjectAssure, with local and global data protection capabilities, is designed for use cases in which low network overhead and high levels of data durability are key decision criteria.
- In addition to the new Global ObjectAssure capability, DDN continues to offer the following data protection schemes within WOS technology:
- Replication - allows for the highest levels of performance and data durability, and is typically implemented in content delivery and data collaboration scenarios where speed of access outweighs the increased cost of storing multiple complete copies of the data.
- Local Copy ObjectAssure - reduces storage overhead while maximizing durability for single-site deployments. This schema is often used as an alternative for traditional RAID for cost-efficient storage of frequently accessed and modified data. Often, an additional copy is stored on tape.
- Replicated ObjectAssure - offers data protection and disaster recovery by copying data to a second site. WOS object replication is highly WAN optimized, lowering the network overhead by up to 30 compared with traditional object storage replication strategies. This deployment scenario is typically selected for large object, multiple data center environments typically scene in web, content and cloud service environments.
WOS 360 and New DDN Archive Nodes Lower the TCO of Scale-out, Archive Infrastructures
- To meet customers' need to continually lower the overall cost of storage, DDN is also introducing the new, low-cost WOS Archive Node. For organizations looking to build large scale active archives, the Archive Node in combination with Global ObjectAssure helps drive down costs of the object storage environment even further.
WOS Connect Partner Program Accelerates Ecosystem Build Out, Providing Users with Increased Value
- DDN is also accelerating its partner ecosystem build out by connecting application and solution partners to deliver more value to customers. The WOS Connect program breaks the dependence on traditional file systems by enabling end users and partners to integrate with native RESTful APIs.
- WOS Connect further enables DDN partners to deliver integrated technology solutions supported by joint sales and marketing programs. In addition, the WOS Connect onboarding program helps educate and enable partners with valuable go-to-market training and tools.
- WOS 360 is shipping now in limited availability, and will be fully available by the end of March 2014.
Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer, DDN
- "As more organizations re-evaluate their storage architectures to meet the demands of modern massive scale environments, there is a rapid acceleration in the interest and deployment of object storage platforms. Some of the largest data environments in the web, cloud and research fields are DDN WOS customers. Our WOS 360 announcement today, which includes new software and the Archive Node hardware, reflects DDN's commitment to listening to our customers' business requirements and delivering technology to help solve their rapidly changing data storage needs."
Simon Robinson, Research Vice President, Storage and Information Management Practice, 451 Research
- "A growing number of organizations are measuring their unstructured data in terms of petabytes of capacity and trillions of files; this is a level of scale that moves beyond the capability of traditional file-based storage architectures. That a new approach is required is becoming clear, but at the same time IT managers are wary of introducing yet another silo into their storage infrastructure. Hence, those new architectures should be capable of meeting a broad range of business and information management requirements, spanning scale, efficiency, data protection and performance. With the introduction of its newest WOS solution, DDN has a software-based approach that moves past 'one size fits all' by recognizing that IT organizations require a flexible next-generation storage architecture that can be optimized for their own environments."
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on WOS 360
- Read the WOS 360 Whitepaper
- Learn more about the DDN-Hyve OCP Solution
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Join the conversation by following the #WOSdoesit hashtag on Twitter
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in massively scalable platforms and solutions for Big Data and Cloud Applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered organization. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
i Gartner "Critical Capabilities for Object Storage" by Arun Chandrasekaran, Alan Dayley, February 11, 2014
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DDN (DataDirect Networks)
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,113
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 299
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,295
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,857
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,736
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,918
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,289
We’ve been doing it for years, decades for some. How many websites have you created accounts on? Your bank, your credit card companies, social media sites, hotels and travel sites, online shopping sites, and that’s just the start. We do it often without even thinking about it, quickly entering our personal information, our data, in a plethora of systems. Sometimes we’re not even aware of the information we are providing. It could be very personal information (think of the security questions you ...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,746
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,411
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:57 PM EDT Reads: 193
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Sep. 28, 2016 01:23 PM EDT Reads: 224
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 160
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,547
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,046