|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 05:30 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NEXT GENERATION OBJECT STORAGE SUMMIT
Managing vast amounts of data within IT and business systems has always been a challenge. But with the rise of cloud, social media, mobile devices, sensor generated data and other technologies, organizations are now struggling to deal with an explosion in information known as unstructured data. To solve the unstructured data challenge, DataDirect Networks (DDN) is introducing a major update to its flexible object storage platform that supports the entire data life cycle across multiple geographies, simply and efficiently. With today's launch of the DDNTM "WOS® 360" full-spectrum solution, customers can deploy the industry's most versatile object storage with flexible access choices through the WOS Connect development program. Whether they operate in one or multiple data centers around the globe, organizations that require high performance or archive storage will now benefit from the highly efficient, easy-to-manage and vastly scalable benefits of object storage.
- DDN today announced a significant update to its WOS object storage platform, adding next-generation software features and capabilities that now make WOS the most complete and versatile object storage platform in the industry.
- The shift to object-based storage is accelerating quickly as a means of solving today's unstructured data storage challenges. According to the February 11, 2014 Gartner report on the Critical Capabilities for Object Storage, "The explosion in unstructured data, which is growing at 40 to 60 percent on a yearly basis in most enterprises, has catapulted object storage as an inexpensive, scalable, self-healing, multitenant platform for storing petabytes of data."i
- Available immediately, the WOS 360 full-spectrum object storage update enables users to build a highly reliable, infinitely-scalable and efficient storage pool for all their unstructured data needs. The WOS 360 update redefines the architecture of scale-out storage infrastructures through a broad set of sophisticated new data protection, archive, collaboration and distribution capabilities designed specifically to meet the five key object storage requirements of customers today: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- With the latest WOS 360 technology, a single object storage platform can support the complete lifecycle of unstructured data. It has never been easier or more cost-effective, for users to tune storage and data protections options to meet the requirements of any data set, in any location and with any storage architecture as IT needs change.
- New scale-out advancements in the WOS 360 update include Global ObjectAssureTM which builds on DDN's existing data protection schemes and provides customers with the broadest data protection capabilities available.
- Scale out options can now leverage single data center, multiple data center for data protection and data sharing, as well as long-term retention archive storage with the introduction of the new WOS Archive Node hardware option.
- In addition to these latest software and hardware platform updates, the company is also accelerating the growth of its partner ecosystem with a new application integration program called WOS Connect. This partner development program enables seamless integration and compatibility testing with WOS technology, as end users and application providers integrate object storage into their environments.
Modern Large Scale Applications Require Modern Scale-Out Storage Repositories
- Today's data intensive applications require a new approach to storage that addresses the five key requirements customers consider when defining the architecture of their scale-out storage infrastructures: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- While traditional tiered storage architectures reduce the overall TCO of storing data, for large scale environments where multiple locations, data types or applications may coexist in a single infrastructure, this paradigm is increasingly impractical, prompting users to consider less complex and more efficient alternatives to the file system approach.
- WOS 360 addresses these challenges as a platform that is uniquely enabled through an underlying NoFS (No File System) architecture. Unlike most object storage platforms which still have a POSIX file system layer on the disk level, WOS technology was designed as a true object storage platform, with a flat, single layer address structure where objects are stored in a contiguous group of blocks so that disk operations are minimized, performance is maximized and disks are used at full capacity.
Broad Range of Data Protection Schemes Provides Users with Choice and Flexibility to Adapt to Changing Business Needs
- With preservation, retention and deletion of data a critical requirement, WOS 360 offers the industry's broadest range of object storage protection schemes, ranging from smart replication to the company's ObjectAssure erasure coding offerings. Unlike traditional dispersed erasure encoding techniques that limit the choice in number of sites or data protection levels, WOS technology is the only platform that provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding, affording customers full flexibility to select the protection scheme that best meets their needs. Data protection mechanisms are policy-based and can be set up as granularly as per object.
- With the latest WOS update, DDN introduces Global ObjectAssure, a new kind of distributed erasure coding, designed for multi-site deployments where customers require very low-cost infrastructures for very large data sets. Global ObjectAssure, with local and global data protection capabilities, is designed for use cases in which low network overhead and high levels of data durability are key decision criteria.
- In addition to the new Global ObjectAssure capability, DDN continues to offer the following data protection schemes within WOS technology:
- Replication - allows for the highest levels of performance and data durability, and is typically implemented in content delivery and data collaboration scenarios where speed of access outweighs the increased cost of storing multiple complete copies of the data.
- Local Copy ObjectAssure - reduces storage overhead while maximizing durability for single-site deployments. This schema is often used as an alternative for traditional RAID for cost-efficient storage of frequently accessed and modified data. Often, an additional copy is stored on tape.
- Replicated ObjectAssure - offers data protection and disaster recovery by copying data to a second site. WOS object replication is highly WAN optimized, lowering the network overhead by up to 30 compared with traditional object storage replication strategies. This deployment scenario is typically selected for large object, multiple data center environments typically scene in web, content and cloud service environments.
WOS 360 and New DDN Archive Nodes Lower the TCO of Scale-out, Archive Infrastructures
- To meet customers' need to continually lower the overall cost of storage, DDN is also introducing the new, low-cost WOS Archive Node. For organizations looking to build large scale active archives, the Archive Node in combination with Global ObjectAssure helps drive down costs of the object storage environment even further.
WOS Connect Partner Program Accelerates Ecosystem Build Out, Providing Users with Increased Value
- DDN is also accelerating its partner ecosystem build out by connecting application and solution partners to deliver more value to customers. The WOS Connect program breaks the dependence on traditional file systems by enabling end users and partners to integrate with native RESTful APIs.
- WOS Connect further enables DDN partners to deliver integrated technology solutions supported by joint sales and marketing programs. In addition, the WOS Connect onboarding program helps educate and enable partners with valuable go-to-market training and tools.
- WOS 360 is shipping now in limited availability, and will be fully available by the end of March 2014.
Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer, DDN
- "As more organizations re-evaluate their storage architectures to meet the demands of modern massive scale environments, there is a rapid acceleration in the interest and deployment of object storage platforms. Some of the largest data environments in the web, cloud and research fields are DDN WOS customers. Our WOS 360 announcement today, which includes new software and the Archive Node hardware, reflects DDN's commitment to listening to our customers' business requirements and delivering technology to help solve their rapidly changing data storage needs."
Simon Robinson, Research Vice President, Storage and Information Management Practice, 451 Research
- "A growing number of organizations are measuring their unstructured data in terms of petabytes of capacity and trillions of files; this is a level of scale that moves beyond the capability of traditional file-based storage architectures. That a new approach is required is becoming clear, but at the same time IT managers are wary of introducing yet another silo into their storage infrastructure. Hence, those new architectures should be capable of meeting a broad range of business and information management requirements, spanning scale, efficiency, data protection and performance. With the introduction of its newest WOS solution, DDN has a software-based approach that moves past 'one size fits all' by recognizing that IT organizations require a flexible next-generation storage architecture that can be optimized for their own environments."
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on WOS 360
- Read the WOS 360 Whitepaper
- Learn more about the DDN-Hyve OCP Solution
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Join the conversation by following the #WOSdoesit hashtag on Twitter
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in massively scalable platforms and solutions for Big Data and Cloud Applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered organization. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
i Gartner "Critical Capabilities for Object Storage" by Arun Chandrasekaran, Alan Dayley, February 11, 2014
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DDN (DataDirect Networks)
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,634
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 803
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 28, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,340
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 16,319
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,299
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,427
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,447
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,286
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,648
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,234
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,465
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 27, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,051
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 890
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,891
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls ...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,273