|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 05:30 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NEXT GENERATION OBJECT STORAGE SUMMIT
Managing vast amounts of data within IT and business systems has always been a challenge. But with the rise of cloud, social media, mobile devices, sensor generated data and other technologies, organizations are now struggling to deal with an explosion in information known as unstructured data. To solve the unstructured data challenge, DataDirect Networks (DDN) is introducing a major update to its flexible object storage platform that supports the entire data life cycle across multiple geographies, simply and efficiently. With today's launch of the DDNTM "WOS® 360" full-spectrum solution, customers can deploy the industry's most versatile object storage with flexible access choices through the WOS Connect development program. Whether they operate in one or multiple data centers around the globe, organizations that require high performance or archive storage will now benefit from the highly efficient, easy-to-manage and vastly scalable benefits of object storage.
- DDN today announced a significant update to its WOS object storage platform, adding next-generation software features and capabilities that now make WOS the most complete and versatile object storage platform in the industry.
- The shift to object-based storage is accelerating quickly as a means of solving today's unstructured data storage challenges. According to the February 11, 2014 Gartner report on the Critical Capabilities for Object Storage, "The explosion in unstructured data, which is growing at 40 to 60 percent on a yearly basis in most enterprises, has catapulted object storage as an inexpensive, scalable, self-healing, multitenant platform for storing petabytes of data."i
- Available immediately, the WOS 360 full-spectrum object storage update enables users to build a highly reliable, infinitely-scalable and efficient storage pool for all their unstructured data needs. The WOS 360 update redefines the architecture of scale-out storage infrastructures through a broad set of sophisticated new data protection, archive, collaboration and distribution capabilities designed specifically to meet the five key object storage requirements of customers today: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- With the latest WOS 360 technology, a single object storage platform can support the complete lifecycle of unstructured data. It has never been easier or more cost-effective, for users to tune storage and data protections options to meet the requirements of any data set, in any location and with any storage architecture as IT needs change.
- New scale-out advancements in the WOS 360 update include Global ObjectAssureTM which builds on DDN's existing data protection schemes and provides customers with the broadest data protection capabilities available.
- Scale out options can now leverage single data center, multiple data center for data protection and data sharing, as well as long-term retention archive storage with the introduction of the new WOS Archive Node hardware option.
- In addition to these latest software and hardware platform updates, the company is also accelerating the growth of its partner ecosystem with a new application integration program called WOS Connect. This partner development program enables seamless integration and compatibility testing with WOS technology, as end users and application providers integrate object storage into their environments.
Modern Large Scale Applications Require Modern Scale-Out Storage Repositories
- Today's data intensive applications require a new approach to storage that addresses the five key requirements customers consider when defining the architecture of their scale-out storage infrastructures: scalability, accessibility, efficiency, reliability and performance.
- While traditional tiered storage architectures reduce the overall TCO of storing data, for large scale environments where multiple locations, data types or applications may coexist in a single infrastructure, this paradigm is increasingly impractical, prompting users to consider less complex and more efficient alternatives to the file system approach.
- WOS 360 addresses these challenges as a platform that is uniquely enabled through an underlying NoFS (No File System) architecture. Unlike most object storage platforms which still have a POSIX file system layer on the disk level, WOS technology was designed as a true object storage platform, with a flat, single layer address structure where objects are stored in a contiguous group of blocks so that disk operations are minimized, performance is maximized and disks are used at full capacity.
Broad Range of Data Protection Schemes Provides Users with Choice and Flexibility to Adapt to Changing Business Needs
- With preservation, retention and deletion of data a critical requirement, WOS 360 offers the industry's broadest range of object storage protection schemes, ranging from smart replication to the company's ObjectAssure erasure coding offerings. Unlike traditional dispersed erasure encoding techniques that limit the choice in number of sites or data protection levels, WOS technology is the only platform that provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding, affording customers full flexibility to select the protection scheme that best meets their needs. Data protection mechanisms are policy-based and can be set up as granularly as per object.
- With the latest WOS update, DDN introduces Global ObjectAssure, a new kind of distributed erasure coding, designed for multi-site deployments where customers require very low-cost infrastructures for very large data sets. Global ObjectAssure, with local and global data protection capabilities, is designed for use cases in which low network overhead and high levels of data durability are key decision criteria.
- In addition to the new Global ObjectAssure capability, DDN continues to offer the following data protection schemes within WOS technology:
- Replication - allows for the highest levels of performance and data durability, and is typically implemented in content delivery and data collaboration scenarios where speed of access outweighs the increased cost of storing multiple complete copies of the data.
- Local Copy ObjectAssure - reduces storage overhead while maximizing durability for single-site deployments. This schema is often used as an alternative for traditional RAID for cost-efficient storage of frequently accessed and modified data. Often, an additional copy is stored on tape.
- Replicated ObjectAssure - offers data protection and disaster recovery by copying data to a second site. WOS object replication is highly WAN optimized, lowering the network overhead by up to 30 compared with traditional object storage replication strategies. This deployment scenario is typically selected for large object, multiple data center environments typically scene in web, content and cloud service environments.
WOS 360 and New DDN Archive Nodes Lower the TCO of Scale-out, Archive Infrastructures
- To meet customers' need to continually lower the overall cost of storage, DDN is also introducing the new, low-cost WOS Archive Node. For organizations looking to build large scale active archives, the Archive Node in combination with Global ObjectAssure helps drive down costs of the object storage environment even further.
WOS Connect Partner Program Accelerates Ecosystem Build Out, Providing Users with Increased Value
- DDN is also accelerating its partner ecosystem build out by connecting application and solution partners to deliver more value to customers. The WOS Connect program breaks the dependence on traditional file systems by enabling end users and partners to integrate with native RESTful APIs.
- WOS Connect further enables DDN partners to deliver integrated technology solutions supported by joint sales and marketing programs. In addition, the WOS Connect onboarding program helps educate and enable partners with valuable go-to-market training and tools.
- WOS 360 is shipping now in limited availability, and will be fully available by the end of March 2014.
Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer, DDN
- "As more organizations re-evaluate their storage architectures to meet the demands of modern massive scale environments, there is a rapid acceleration in the interest and deployment of object storage platforms. Some of the largest data environments in the web, cloud and research fields are DDN WOS customers. Our WOS 360 announcement today, which includes new software and the Archive Node hardware, reflects DDN's commitment to listening to our customers' business requirements and delivering technology to help solve their rapidly changing data storage needs."
Simon Robinson, Research Vice President, Storage and Information Management Practice, 451 Research
- "A growing number of organizations are measuring their unstructured data in terms of petabytes of capacity and trillions of files; this is a level of scale that moves beyond the capability of traditional file-based storage architectures. That a new approach is required is becoming clear, but at the same time IT managers are wary of introducing yet another silo into their storage infrastructure. Hence, those new architectures should be capable of meeting a broad range of business and information management requirements, spanning scale, efficiency, data protection and performance. With the introduction of its newest WOS solution, DDN has a software-based approach that moves past 'one size fits all' by recognizing that IT organizations require a flexible next-generation storage architecture that can be optimized for their own environments."
- More on DDN Object Storage
- More on WOS 360
- Read the WOS 360 Whitepaper
- Learn more about the DDN-Hyve OCP Solution
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Join the conversation by following the #WOSdoesit hashtag on Twitter
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in massively scalable platforms and solutions for Big Data and Cloud Applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered organization. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
i Gartner "Critical Capabilities for Object Storage" by Arun Chandrasekaran, Alan Dayley, February 11, 2014
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DDN (DataDirect Networks)
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 881
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,205
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 673
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 594
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,048
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,211
Hostway Services, Inc. and WSM International have partnered to deliver trouble free migration services for any organization that wishes to bring their IT infrastructure to Hostway's Azure managed cloud services. WSM is the leader in providing turn-key IT migration services since 2003 and is now the preferred provider to any Hostway customer that is seeking to move its computer infrastructure to the Hostway Azure-based cloud.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 226
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,725
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,996
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 433
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,057
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,624
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Jul. 27, 2016 09:17 AM EDT Reads: 189
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,352