|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 12:22 PM EST||
TORONTO, March 5, 2014 /CNW/ - The Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) has launched new resources and is taking part in activities throughout Fraud Prevention Month to educate consumers about auto insurance fraud.
FSCO's new web portal, Fighting Fraud: What You Can Do, is designed to provide consumers with tips on how to avoid auto insurance fraud when shopping around for insurance as well as information on what to do after a collision.
Throughout the month of March, FSCO and the Toronto Police Service's Financial Crimes Unit are also running a special #fraudchat series for Fraud Prevention Month, featuring guest experts from the fields of law enforcement, journalism and internet security. #Fraudchat is a Twitter chat that takes place every Thursday from 9PM to 10PM EST on Twitter. To join in, members of the public simply need to follow the #fraudchat hashtag.
The #Fraudchat series for Fraud Prevention Month will cover the following topics:
- March 6: How and why people fall for scams, featuring Ellen Roseman, personal finance columnist, Toronto Star
- March 13: How to spot a scammer, featuring Dave Bellamy, Superintendent and Officer in Charge, GTA Financial Crime, Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- March 20: What to do if you're a victim of fraud, featuring Jessica Gunson, Crime Analyst, Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, and Dave Bellamy, Superintendent and Officer in Charge, GTA Financial Crime, Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- March 27: What's in your fraud prevention toolbox, featuring Robert Cairns, Web Designer, Social Media Consultant and Internet Security Specialist, RobertBcairns.com
FSCO will also be sharing weekly tips on fraud prevention via its Twitter account, @FSCOTweets, with the #FSCOTips hashtag.
These activities follow last week's #DontBeScammed event in which FSCO, alongside members of the Toronto Police Service and other organizations, kicked off Fraud Prevention Month with an educational event at St. Malachy Catholic School in Toronto. At this event, Terry Weller, FSCO's Head of Investigations, spoke to consumers about protecting themselves from auto insurance fraud when they're shopping around for insurance and when they've been in an accident. Highlights from the event can be viewed via the following links:
- #DontBeScammed Highlights (Video)
- Livestreamed #DontBeScammed Presentations (Video)
- Livestreamed #DontBeScammed Breakout Session on Cybercrime (Video)
- Transcript of #DontBeScammed Tweets
- See what you can do to protect yourself from auto insurance fraud
- Suspect auto insurance fraud? Submit a tip to FSCO
- Check out highlights from our Fraud Prevention Month Kickoff
- Watch the livestreamed presentations at our Fraud Prevention Month Kickoff
- Watch the livestreamed breakout session on cybercrime at our Fraud Prevention Month Kickoff
- Check out Live Tweets from our Fraud Prevention Month Kickoff
SOURCE Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 8, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,240
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 8, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,202
"This is specifically designed to accommodate some of the needs for high availability and failover in a network managed system for the major Korean corporations," stated Thomas Masters, Managing Director at InfranicsUSA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 263
Dec. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 502
Dec. 8, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 903
Dec. 8, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 970
Dec. 8, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,175
Dec. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 174
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 776
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 745
Dec. 8, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,177
Dec. 8, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 724
Dec. 8, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 473
Dec. 8, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,185
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 8, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,741