|By Business Wire||
|March 10, 2014 12:21 PM EDT||
Commercials promoting Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola from the recent Super Bowl broadcast generated the highest degree of lasting brand commitment that continued after the Super Bowl, according to a study and infographic released today by SDL (LSE: SDL).
The SDL study assembled relevant, targeted brand conversations before, during and after the Super Bowl and then analyzed the impact to brand awareness and sentiment in the weeks following the Super Bowl push. SDL has also created a best practices playbook to advise brands on how to create lasting impact on social channels. The playbook can be downloaded here.
While a popular Super Bowl commercial by insurance provider Esurance generated the highest level of social engagement on game day, the Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola ads sustained and increased their level of brand-related and advocacy conversations in the week following the game, the study found.
The Esurance commercial, offering a $1.5 million incentive for viewers to tweet the hashtag #esurancesaves30, elicited 309,992 social posts – nearly 10 times that of the nearest competitor. But three days after the Super Bowl, conversations mentioning the brand dropped off significantly.
Meanwhile, brand-related conversations about the Coca-Cola ad campaign – featuring clips of people singing “America the Beautiful” in different languages – actually increased as time went on, showing a sustained growth in excitement and brand commitment. Coke’s campaign generated more than 6,800 posts three days after the game – more than twice the amount generated by Esurance and down only 30 percent from game-day volumes. During that time, sentiment actually improved, with the split of positive posts increasing from 75 to 81 percent.
These brand insights are generated through SDL’s Customer Commitment DashboardTM (CCD) which provides companies with the ability to measure brand advocacy, purchase intent and engagement.
“Considering that brands are investing so much for Super Bowl spots, they want to ensure that they’re generating the right type of conversations and driving positive, lasting levels of brand engagement,” said Paige O’Neill, CMO at SDL. “Our analysis shows that to be successful, brands must combine a strong story with a tangible link to brand identity and an engaging incentive in order to transfer buzz into longer lasting brand uplift. Without those combined elements, buzz might spike, but it won’t be sustainable.”
The SDL study revealed additional insights concerning brands’ successful and unsuccessful advertising strategies for the 2014 Super Bowl. Best practices include the following:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for participation: Encourage, incentivize and even ask for social media sharing through the use of hashtags, social icons, contests, donations to a cause, and other social media calls to action. Campaigns that included social elements and specific calls to action had 4 percent higher Commitment Scores than those that didn’t. A cautionary note: Brands must be certain that their call to action is in harmony with the brand’s overall promise, because if not, sustained benefits will not accrue to the campaign.
- Take a stance: Don’t be afraid to take a stance on seemingly controversial social justice topics (e.g. gay rights, civil rights, military appreciation, women’s rights, etc.). Taking a stance generates high buzz, media attention, and in many cases a swell of support from consumers and brand fans. Campaigns that took a stance had scores that were 6 percent higher than those that didn’t.
- Continuity is key: Budweiser, Bud Light, Cheerios, Chrysler, Geico, and M&Ms built familiar campaign themes that have been seen either throughout previous Super Bowls or previous years of advertising. Having these consistent and familiar faces, themes, songs, etc. tied to the ad increased recall and brand commitment. Campaigns that built on themes from previous campaigns had scores that were 9 percent higher than stand-alone commercials.
- Putting the Stars Above the Brand: There was a lot of positive buzz about this year’s all-star commercial casts (RadioShack, Oikos, Jaguar, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Bud Light, Subway, Time Warner, Honda (Hug Fest)), but this buzz didn’t generate excitement about the brands or their products. Ads with all-star casts had scores that were significantly lower than those who only highlighted one celebrity or no celebrities.
- Keeping Things Too Simple: Commenters criticized certain brands (Dunkin’ Donuts, Sprint, Kindle, Jeep, Mazda, Verizon, etc.) for disappointing at the big game. They argued that every year ads get bigger and better at the Super Bowl, and that these brands failed to compete by providing simple commercials similar to other campaigns they run all year long. Brands that were criticized for keeping things “too simple” during the big game had scores that were 19 percent lower than competitors.
- Striking the Wrong Tone: Consumers complained that the tone of some commercials (Axe, Audi, GoDaddy, Mazda, SodaStream, Ford, Chrysler, etc.) contradicted long-held beliefs about the brands, or that certain celebrity endorsements that were perceived as off-brand. Brands must ensure that they conduct in-depth research to ensure that your ad or celebrity adds to the overall brand story or perceptions about your brand. Campaigns that were criticized for deviating from the brand had scores that were 4 percent lower than competitors.
To view the playbook and infographic, please visit: www.sdl.com/brand-advocacy
SDL (LSE: SDL) allows companies to optimize their customers’ experience across the entire buyer journey. Through its web content management, analytics, social intelligence, campaign management and translation services, SDL helps organizations leverage data-driven insights to understand what their customers want, orchestrate relevant content and communications, and deliver engaging and contextual experiences across languages, cultures, channels and devices.
SDL has over 1,500 enterprise customers, over 400 partners and a global infrastructure of 70 offices in 38 countries. We also work with 72 of the top 100 brands. For more information, please visit www.sdl.com.
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 363
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 459
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 126
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 147
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 214
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 181
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 276
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 264
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 169
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 431
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 871
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 222
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 337
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 225
Everyone talks about continuous integration and continuous delivery but those are just two ends of the pipeline. In the middle of DevOps is continuous testing (CT), and many organizations are struggling to implement continuous testing effectively. After all, without continuous testing there is no delivery. And Lab-As-A-Service (LaaS) enhances the CT with dynamic on-demand self-serve test topologies. CT together with LAAS make a powerful combination that perfectly serves complex software developm...
Aug. 30, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 190