|By Business Wire||
|March 10, 2014 12:21 PM EDT||
Commercials promoting Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola from the recent Super Bowl broadcast generated the highest degree of lasting brand commitment that continued after the Super Bowl, according to a study and infographic released today by SDL (LSE: SDL).
The SDL study assembled relevant, targeted brand conversations before, during and after the Super Bowl and then analyzed the impact to brand awareness and sentiment in the weeks following the Super Bowl push. SDL has also created a best practices playbook to advise brands on how to create lasting impact on social channels. The playbook can be downloaded here.
While a popular Super Bowl commercial by insurance provider Esurance generated the highest level of social engagement on game day, the Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola ads sustained and increased their level of brand-related and advocacy conversations in the week following the game, the study found.
The Esurance commercial, offering a $1.5 million incentive for viewers to tweet the hashtag #esurancesaves30, elicited 309,992 social posts – nearly 10 times that of the nearest competitor. But three days after the Super Bowl, conversations mentioning the brand dropped off significantly.
Meanwhile, brand-related conversations about the Coca-Cola ad campaign – featuring clips of people singing “America the Beautiful” in different languages – actually increased as time went on, showing a sustained growth in excitement and brand commitment. Coke’s campaign generated more than 6,800 posts three days after the game – more than twice the amount generated by Esurance and down only 30 percent from game-day volumes. During that time, sentiment actually improved, with the split of positive posts increasing from 75 to 81 percent.
These brand insights are generated through SDL’s Customer Commitment DashboardTM (CCD) which provides companies with the ability to measure brand advocacy, purchase intent and engagement.
“Considering that brands are investing so much for Super Bowl spots, they want to ensure that they’re generating the right type of conversations and driving positive, lasting levels of brand engagement,” said Paige O’Neill, CMO at SDL. “Our analysis shows that to be successful, brands must combine a strong story with a tangible link to brand identity and an engaging incentive in order to transfer buzz into longer lasting brand uplift. Without those combined elements, buzz might spike, but it won’t be sustainable.”
The SDL study revealed additional insights concerning brands’ successful and unsuccessful advertising strategies for the 2014 Super Bowl. Best practices include the following:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for participation: Encourage, incentivize and even ask for social media sharing through the use of hashtags, social icons, contests, donations to a cause, and other social media calls to action. Campaigns that included social elements and specific calls to action had 4 percent higher Commitment Scores than those that didn’t. A cautionary note: Brands must be certain that their call to action is in harmony with the brand’s overall promise, because if not, sustained benefits will not accrue to the campaign.
- Take a stance: Don’t be afraid to take a stance on seemingly controversial social justice topics (e.g. gay rights, civil rights, military appreciation, women’s rights, etc.). Taking a stance generates high buzz, media attention, and in many cases a swell of support from consumers and brand fans. Campaigns that took a stance had scores that were 6 percent higher than those that didn’t.
- Continuity is key: Budweiser, Bud Light, Cheerios, Chrysler, Geico, and M&Ms built familiar campaign themes that have been seen either throughout previous Super Bowls or previous years of advertising. Having these consistent and familiar faces, themes, songs, etc. tied to the ad increased recall and brand commitment. Campaigns that built on themes from previous campaigns had scores that were 9 percent higher than stand-alone commercials.
- Putting the Stars Above the Brand: There was a lot of positive buzz about this year’s all-star commercial casts (RadioShack, Oikos, Jaguar, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Bud Light, Subway, Time Warner, Honda (Hug Fest)), but this buzz didn’t generate excitement about the brands or their products. Ads with all-star casts had scores that were significantly lower than those who only highlighted one celebrity or no celebrities.
- Keeping Things Too Simple: Commenters criticized certain brands (Dunkin’ Donuts, Sprint, Kindle, Jeep, Mazda, Verizon, etc.) for disappointing at the big game. They argued that every year ads get bigger and better at the Super Bowl, and that these brands failed to compete by providing simple commercials similar to other campaigns they run all year long. Brands that were criticized for keeping things “too simple” during the big game had scores that were 19 percent lower than competitors.
- Striking the Wrong Tone: Consumers complained that the tone of some commercials (Axe, Audi, GoDaddy, Mazda, SodaStream, Ford, Chrysler, etc.) contradicted long-held beliefs about the brands, or that certain celebrity endorsements that were perceived as off-brand. Brands must ensure that they conduct in-depth research to ensure that your ad or celebrity adds to the overall brand story or perceptions about your brand. Campaigns that were criticized for deviating from the brand had scores that were 4 percent lower than competitors.
To view the playbook and infographic, please visit: www.sdl.com/brand-advocacy
SDL (LSE: SDL) allows companies to optimize their customers’ experience across the entire buyer journey. Through its web content management, analytics, social intelligence, campaign management and translation services, SDL helps organizations leverage data-driven insights to understand what their customers want, orchestrate relevant content and communications, and deliver engaging and contextual experiences across languages, cultures, channels and devices.
SDL has over 1,500 enterprise customers, over 400 partners and a global infrastructure of 70 offices in 38 countries. We also work with 72 of the top 100 brands. For more information, please visit www.sdl.com.
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,855
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 25, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,706
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,187
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,691
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,371
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 25, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,918
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 646
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 25, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 434
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,490
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,216
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,547
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,892
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,596
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 592
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,387