|By Business Wire||
|March 10, 2014 12:21 PM EDT||
Commercials promoting Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola from the recent Super Bowl broadcast generated the highest degree of lasting brand commitment that continued after the Super Bowl, according to a study and infographic released today by SDL (LSE: SDL).
The SDL study assembled relevant, targeted brand conversations before, during and after the Super Bowl and then analyzed the impact to brand awareness and sentiment in the weeks following the Super Bowl push. SDL has also created a best practices playbook to advise brands on how to create lasting impact on social channels. The playbook can be downloaded here.
While a popular Super Bowl commercial by insurance provider Esurance generated the highest level of social engagement on game day, the Budweiser, Cheerios and Coca-Cola ads sustained and increased their level of brand-related and advocacy conversations in the week following the game, the study found.
The Esurance commercial, offering a $1.5 million incentive for viewers to tweet the hashtag #esurancesaves30, elicited 309,992 social posts – nearly 10 times that of the nearest competitor. But three days after the Super Bowl, conversations mentioning the brand dropped off significantly.
Meanwhile, brand-related conversations about the Coca-Cola ad campaign – featuring clips of people singing “America the Beautiful” in different languages – actually increased as time went on, showing a sustained growth in excitement and brand commitment. Coke’s campaign generated more than 6,800 posts three days after the game – more than twice the amount generated by Esurance and down only 30 percent from game-day volumes. During that time, sentiment actually improved, with the split of positive posts increasing from 75 to 81 percent.
These brand insights are generated through SDL’s Customer Commitment DashboardTM (CCD) which provides companies with the ability to measure brand advocacy, purchase intent and engagement.
“Considering that brands are investing so much for Super Bowl spots, they want to ensure that they’re generating the right type of conversations and driving positive, lasting levels of brand engagement,” said Paige O’Neill, CMO at SDL. “Our analysis shows that to be successful, brands must combine a strong story with a tangible link to brand identity and an engaging incentive in order to transfer buzz into longer lasting brand uplift. Without those combined elements, buzz might spike, but it won’t be sustainable.”
The SDL study revealed additional insights concerning brands’ successful and unsuccessful advertising strategies for the 2014 Super Bowl. Best practices include the following:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for participation: Encourage, incentivize and even ask for social media sharing through the use of hashtags, social icons, contests, donations to a cause, and other social media calls to action. Campaigns that included social elements and specific calls to action had 4 percent higher Commitment Scores than those that didn’t. A cautionary note: Brands must be certain that their call to action is in harmony with the brand’s overall promise, because if not, sustained benefits will not accrue to the campaign.
- Take a stance: Don’t be afraid to take a stance on seemingly controversial social justice topics (e.g. gay rights, civil rights, military appreciation, women’s rights, etc.). Taking a stance generates high buzz, media attention, and in many cases a swell of support from consumers and brand fans. Campaigns that took a stance had scores that were 6 percent higher than those that didn’t.
- Continuity is key: Budweiser, Bud Light, Cheerios, Chrysler, Geico, and M&Ms built familiar campaign themes that have been seen either throughout previous Super Bowls or previous years of advertising. Having these consistent and familiar faces, themes, songs, etc. tied to the ad increased recall and brand commitment. Campaigns that built on themes from previous campaigns had scores that were 9 percent higher than stand-alone commercials.
- Putting the Stars Above the Brand: There was a lot of positive buzz about this year’s all-star commercial casts (RadioShack, Oikos, Jaguar, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Bud Light, Subway, Time Warner, Honda (Hug Fest)), but this buzz didn’t generate excitement about the brands or their products. Ads with all-star casts had scores that were significantly lower than those who only highlighted one celebrity or no celebrities.
- Keeping Things Too Simple: Commenters criticized certain brands (Dunkin’ Donuts, Sprint, Kindle, Jeep, Mazda, Verizon, etc.) for disappointing at the big game. They argued that every year ads get bigger and better at the Super Bowl, and that these brands failed to compete by providing simple commercials similar to other campaigns they run all year long. Brands that were criticized for keeping things “too simple” during the big game had scores that were 19 percent lower than competitors.
- Striking the Wrong Tone: Consumers complained that the tone of some commercials (Axe, Audi, GoDaddy, Mazda, SodaStream, Ford, Chrysler, etc.) contradicted long-held beliefs about the brands, or that certain celebrity endorsements that were perceived as off-brand. Brands must ensure that they conduct in-depth research to ensure that your ad or celebrity adds to the overall brand story or perceptions about your brand. Campaigns that were criticized for deviating from the brand had scores that were 4 percent lower than competitors.
To view the playbook and infographic, please visit: www.sdl.com/brand-advocacy
SDL (LSE: SDL) allows companies to optimize their customers’ experience across the entire buyer journey. Through its web content management, analytics, social intelligence, campaign management and translation services, SDL helps organizations leverage data-driven insights to understand what their customers want, orchestrate relevant content and communications, and deliver engaging and contextual experiences across languages, cultures, channels and devices.
SDL has over 1,500 enterprise customers, over 400 partners and a global infrastructure of 70 offices in 38 countries. We also work with 72 of the top 100 brands. For more information, please visit www.sdl.com.
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 4,301
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 935
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Dec. 7, 2016 02:24 PM EST Reads: 209
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,107
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,375
"Coalfire is a cyber-risk, security and compliance assessment and advisory services firm. We do a lot of work with the cloud service provider community," explained Ryan McGowan, Vice President, Sales (West) at Coalfire Systems, Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 947
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,188
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,103
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,143
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 392
"We are a custom software development, engineering firm. We specialize in cloud applications from helping customers that have on-premise applications migrating to the cloud, to helping customers design brand new apps in the cloud. And we specialize in mobile apps," explained Peter Di Stefano, Vice President of Marketing at Impiger Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:24 PM EST Reads: 216
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,078
President Obama recently announced the launch of a new national awareness campaign to "encourage more Americans to move beyond passwords – adding an extra layer of security like a fingerprint or codes sent to your cellphone." The shift from single passwords to multi-factor authentication couldn’t be timelier or more strategic. This session will focus on why passwords alone are no longer effective, and why the time to act is now. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Chris Webber, security strateg...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:35 PM EST Reads: 258
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 619
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 722