News Feed Item
11 Tips for Motivating a Guy to Exercise; In New Book, Former Chief Fitness Advisor for Men's Health Details How Men Can Get and Stay Motivated to Improve Their Physiques
|By Marketwired .
|March 12, 2014 03:05 AM EDT
CHAMPAIGN, IL--(Marketwired - March 12, 2014) - For many men, making a commitment to exercise is not easy. Many have probably resisted it for so long that it's almost second nature to them now. But internationally recognized fitness and nutritional expert, writer, consultant, and personal trainer Ray Klerck, also a former Men's Health
cover model, says there are many ways a guy can convince himself that making the decision to take better care of himself is the right thing to do.
In his new book, Body Trainer for Men
(Human Kinetics, 2014), Klerck offers 11 easy-to-digest tips and tricks that men can use to motivate themselves. "You don't have to listen to them 100% but rather tailor them to your own personality and situation," he says. "Think of it as team building that'll make both your brain and body stronger, healthier, and fitter."
1. Combine the things you love. Klerck recommends things like cycling around a park followed by a healthy protein-rich picnic, taking the family to the beach and kicking a ball around, and doing sprints by chasing the ball around with the kids. "The trick to more fitness is integration," he explains. "The more you combine fitness with everyday activities, the less exhausting and time consuming it will be."
2. Put your stats in a public place. Klerck says you should write down current body fat, bench press max, body weight, or whatever is relevant to you and put it in a place where everyone can see it, such as in the office kitchen or on Facebook. Then aim to improve those results each week and draw attention to your motivational plight, spurring people to ask questions about it, which can then be turned to your advantage when those results start to improve.
3. Trick yourself into going for just eight minutes. On days when you don't feel all that strong, make only a small and undemanding requirement of your exercise sessions, such as a single set of a favorite exercise. Klerck points out that this way, you will never actually stop exercising; you will just have a few gaps in your training log.
4. Ask a friend to be brutally honest with you. "Swallow your pride and get your training partner to tell you what muscle groups are your weaknesses," Klerck advises. "Just tell him not to hold back, then sit back and take it on the chin. This will crack the whip." And if you are really brave, you will ask your wife or partner what is both attractive and unattractive about your appearance.
5. Sign up for an event. Klerck points out that this is a long-standing and very simple way of kick-starting motivation. Signing up for a 10K race, cycling meet, or fitness challenge gives you an end date for your training and will help you focus attention toward a definitive goal.
6. Link exercise to your longevity. Check your cholesterol and set a goal of lowering LDL cholesterol by 20 points and increasing HDL cholesterol by 5 points. "You'll decrease your risk of heart disease while providing yourself with a very important concrete goal," Klerck says.
7. Create competition. "Guys are hardwired for competition, so make a bet you can use to improve your performance," Klerck proposes. "Challenge your nemesis or friend, that swaggering co-worker or noisy neighbor, to a contest. The first person to bench 200 pounds or drop 10 pounds of fat wins." He also suggests adding a monetary or physical wager to the challenge.
8. Schedule a body fat test every two months for the rest of the year. Klerck explains that doing this establishes a clear end date for the simple goal of losing body fat and gaining muscle, and tangible results are the best motivator. He recommends doing the test at the same time of day each time because body fat can fluctuate.
9. Plan all your workouts well in advance. At the start of each month, schedule all workouts at once and cross them off as they're completed. If any are left undone at the end of the month, tack those on to the following month.
10. Get a hold of yourself. Klerck means this literally: "If you feel unmotivated or tempted, grab a handful of the flab around your belly. Wobble it then push your index finger into it until you feel something hard -- your abs. Do you want to see them? Well, get cracking, skip the burger, and get exercising."
11. Become a member of a new gym. "Hardcore gyms are full of people who don't care about watching a massive plasma screen while they run or lift weights," Klerck believes. "They come to the gym with a goal in mind and don't let distractions get in their way. Train there for just one week and you'll be equally inspired."
Using his specialized techniques, Ray Klerck has advised and trained numerous professional Men's Health cover models, readers, and celebrities to achieve world-class techniques. In Body Trainer for Men
he offers a completely accessible resource tailored to the unique needs and goals of men.
To receive a review copy of
Body Trainer for Men
and/or to schedule an interview with Ray Klerck, please contact Maurey Williamson at [email protected] or (800) 747-4457, ext. 7890.
The following files are available for download:
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,324
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,480
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth?
In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,034
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,721
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi LTD., will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) will be featuring the Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) portfolio. This is the industry’s only offering that allows organizations to bring together object storage, file sync and share, cloud storage gateways, and sophisticated search an...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 680
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code.
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 673
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that Progress, a global leader in application development, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Enterprises today are rapidly adopting the cloud, while continuing to retain business-critical/sensitive data inside the firewall. This is creating two separate data silos – one inside the firewall and the other outside the firewall. Cloud ISVs oft...
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 479
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,017
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 841
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 958
As DevOps methodologies expand their reach across the enterprise, organizations face the daunting challenge of adapting related cloud strategies to ensure optimal alignment, from managing complexity to ensuring proper governance.
How can culture, automation, legacy apps and even budget be reexamined to enable this ongoing shift within the modern software factory?
Apr. 28, 2017 09:58 AM EDT Reads: 142
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 618
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 811
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 854