|By Marketwired .||
|March 12, 2014 03:05 AM EDT||
CHAMPAIGN, IL--(Marketwired - March 12, 2014) - For many men, making a commitment to exercise is not easy. Many have probably resisted it for so long that it's almost second nature to them now. But internationally recognized fitness and nutritional expert, writer, consultant, and personal trainer Ray Klerck, also a former Men's Health cover model, says there are many ways a guy can convince himself that making the decision to take better care of himself is the right thing to do.
In his new book, Body Trainer for Men (Human Kinetics, 2014), Klerck offers 11 easy-to-digest tips and tricks that men can use to motivate themselves. "You don't have to listen to them 100% but rather tailor them to your own personality and situation," he says. "Think of it as team building that'll make both your brain and body stronger, healthier, and fitter."
1. Combine the things you love. Klerck recommends things like cycling around a park followed by a healthy protein-rich picnic, taking the family to the beach and kicking a ball around, and doing sprints by chasing the ball around with the kids. "The trick to more fitness is integration," he explains. "The more you combine fitness with everyday activities, the less exhausting and time consuming it will be."
2. Put your stats in a public place. Klerck says you should write down current body fat, bench press max, body weight, or whatever is relevant to you and put it in a place where everyone can see it, such as in the office kitchen or on Facebook. Then aim to improve those results each week and draw attention to your motivational plight, spurring people to ask questions about it, which can then be turned to your advantage when those results start to improve.
3. Trick yourself into going for just eight minutes. On days when you don't feel all that strong, make only a small and undemanding requirement of your exercise sessions, such as a single set of a favorite exercise. Klerck points out that this way, you will never actually stop exercising; you will just have a few gaps in your training log.
4. Ask a friend to be brutally honest with you. "Swallow your pride and get your training partner to tell you what muscle groups are your weaknesses," Klerck advises. "Just tell him not to hold back, then sit back and take it on the chin. This will crack the whip." And if you are really brave, you will ask your wife or partner what is both attractive and unattractive about your appearance.
5. Sign up for an event. Klerck points out that this is a long-standing and very simple way of kick-starting motivation. Signing up for a 10K race, cycling meet, or fitness challenge gives you an end date for your training and will help you focus attention toward a definitive goal.
6. Link exercise to your longevity. Check your cholesterol and set a goal of lowering LDL cholesterol by 20 points and increasing HDL cholesterol by 5 points. "You'll decrease your risk of heart disease while providing yourself with a very important concrete goal," Klerck says.
7. Create competition. "Guys are hardwired for competition, so make a bet you can use to improve your performance," Klerck proposes. "Challenge your nemesis or friend, that swaggering co-worker or noisy neighbor, to a contest. The first person to bench 200 pounds or drop 10 pounds of fat wins." He also suggests adding a monetary or physical wager to the challenge.
8. Schedule a body fat test every two months for the rest of the year. Klerck explains that doing this establishes a clear end date for the simple goal of losing body fat and gaining muscle, and tangible results are the best motivator. He recommends doing the test at the same time of day each time because body fat can fluctuate.
9. Plan all your workouts well in advance. At the start of each month, schedule all workouts at once and cross them off as they're completed. If any are left undone at the end of the month, tack those on to the following month.
10. Get a hold of yourself. Klerck means this literally: "If you feel unmotivated or tempted, grab a handful of the flab around your belly. Wobble it then push your index finger into it until you feel something hard -- your abs. Do you want to see them? Well, get cracking, skip the burger, and get exercising."
11. Become a member of a new gym. "Hardcore gyms are full of people who don't care about watching a massive plasma screen while they run or lift weights," Klerck believes. "They come to the gym with a goal in mind and don't let distractions get in their way. Train there for just one week and you'll be equally inspired."
Using his specialized techniques, Ray Klerck has advised and trained numerous professional Men's Health cover models, readers, and celebrities to achieve world-class techniques. In Body Trainer for Men he offers a completely accessible resource tailored to the unique needs and goals of men.
To receive a review copy of Body Trainer for Men and/or to schedule an interview with Ray Klerck, please contact Maurey Williamson at [email protected] or (800) 747-4457, ext. 7890.
The following files are available for download:
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,837
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,110
"In the IoT space we are helping customers, mostly enterprises and industry verticals where time-to-value is critical, and we help them with the ability to do faster insights and actions using our platform so they can transform their business operations," explained Venkat Eswara, VP of Marketing at Vitria, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 363
SYS-CON Media announced today that CloudBees, the Jenkins Enterprise company, has launched ad campaigns on SYS-CON's DevOps Journal. CloudBees' campaigns focus on the business value of Continuous Delivery and how it has been recognized as a game changer for IT and is now a top priority for organizations, and the best ways to optimize Jenkins to ensure your continuous integration environment is optimally configured.
Jul. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 872
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 825
The most often asked question post-DevOps introduction is: “How do I get started?” There’s plenty of information on why DevOps is valid and important, but many managers still struggle with simple basics for how to initiate a DevOps program in their business. They struggle with issues related to current organizational inertia, the lack of experience on Continuous Integration/Delivery, understanding where DevOps will affect revenue and budget, etc. In their session at DevOps Summit, JP Morgenthal...
Jul. 6, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,508
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jul. 6, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,723
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist of Cloud Services at VMware, reviewed the changes that the cloud computing industry has gone through over the last five years and shared insights into what the next five will bring. He also chronicled the challenges enterprise companies are facing as they move to the public cloud. He delved into the "Hybrid Cloud" space and explained why every CIO should consider ‘hybrid cloud' as part of their future strategy to achie...
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,750
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,766
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,015
"The idea of polyglot persistence is you have to apply the right database for the job - you always have to have many different databases in play. We offer that whole system as a service," explained Raj Singh, Developer Advocate for IBM Cloud Data Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 715
SYS-CON Events announced today that WHOA.com, an ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud computing company, participated as “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which took place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WHOA.com is a leader in next-generation, ISO 27001 Certified secure cloud solutions. WHOA.com offers a comprehensive portfolio of best-in-class cloud services for business including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Secure Cloud Desk...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 898
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ ...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,027
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,839
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,288