|By PR Newswire||
|March 12, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
BARCELONA, Spain, March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday opened its annual Microsoft in Education Global Forum by emphasizing the importance of student privacy and reaffirming its commitment to helping ensure that student data is never mined for advertising and marketing purposes. The opening keynote speech, which took place in front of an audience of 1,100, including innovative educators, school leaders and government officials from nearly 100 countries, also saw Microsoft highlight its end-to-end, best-in-class solutions with student success and career and college readiness at the forefront.
"Privacy concerns are holding educators back from making the most of modern technology and preparing students to succeed in today's workplace. At the same time, many solutions being used in the classroom are unintentionally putting student data at risk," said Anthony Salcito, vice president, Worldwide Education, Microsoft. "The private sector has a responsibility to give educators the tools and resources that inspire real learning and have a real impact, while ensuring privacy isn't a barrier to bringing new and innovative technologies into the classroom. This is why Microsoft is committed to taking every measure it can to ensure student information remains safe around the world. We will not, under any circumstance, mine students' data."
Microsoft technology is used in 98 percent of schools worldwide. The company's end-to-end education solutions take the risk out of deploying the latest technologies and solve educators' most pressing challenges across the following key areas:
- Productivity and creativity. Microsoft Office 365 Education, an enterprise-quality communication and collaboration tool available in the cloud, is currently used by 110 million students, faculty and staff. This always-on cloud service guarantees that student data will never be mined for advertising. Student Advantage, available for free through qualifying institutions, includes the entire Office suite and more than 4 million students are already getting Office 365 Professional Plus from their schools since it was launched in December 2013. Microsoft Office has also proved valuable to students; a recent IDC study found Microsoft Office proficiency is among the top 20 skills required for high-growth/high-salary occupations.
- Safer, more private search. Bing for Schools ensures students don't see search ads when using Bing and also enhances their privacy by preventing the use of data to create ad profiles — all with no compromise on the exceptional search experience delivered. No other major search engine can make the same promise.
- Management. Windows Intune is a cloud service that allows school IT administrators to manage Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS devices connected to their network over the Web, eliminating the need to own each device or to use onsite servers.
- Professional development. Microsoft offers resources to train teachers on new technology, including the Partners in Learning Network that reaches nearly 1 million educators worldwide and includes online professional development, how-to tutorials, and learning activities created by teachers for teachers.
- Technology training. The Microsoft IT Academy provides industry-leading technology skills to more than 8.5 million teachers and students in 130 countries to help bridge the technology skills gap. In addition, Microsoft has helped educators around the world successfully incorporate technology into the classroom to enhance the learning experience for their students through programs such as Teaching With Technology.
- Device choice. Microsoft works with its original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partners to bring better choice and quality and more affordable devices powered by Microsoft software and services to market for educators and students around the world.
- YouthSpark Initiative. Microsoft's focus on privacy in education is part of its overall commitment to empowering youth through opportunities for education, employment and entrepreneurship.
"We've chosen Microsoft because the company provides an end-to-end solution that meets all our needs — innovative and secured devices, best-in-class productivity, and collaboration apps and comprehensive management capabilities. In addition, the company provides the training and resources our educators need to ensure that our technology investments are successful," said Clayton Carnes, school leader, Hermit Park State School in Australia. "Microsoft's unwavering commitment to student privacy is also extremely important to us because we can rest assured that our students' data isn't being mined for advertising and marketing purposes. This commitment really sets Microsoft apart in the market."
Other news announced today included the following:
- Pearson and Microsoft are joining together to create new applications and advance a digital education model that prepares students to thrive in an increasingly personalized learning environment. One of the first collaborations in the U.S. between the two global companies will combine Pearson's Common Core system of courses with the groundbreaking capabilities of the Windows 8 touchscreen environment.
- Interactive education technology company Promethean World plc has committed to developing innovative Windows 8 apps and Office 365 integration for its platform ClassFlow, a cloud-based, classroom tool that enables teachers to create lesson plans, connect and deliver interactive content across multiple devices, and assess student understanding.
- BrainPOP has released its third Windows 8 app, BrainPOP ESL. BrainPOP ESL is a comprehensive English language learning program that uses engaging animated movies to model conversational English.
- In support of its long-term goal to make all systematic knowledge immediately computable and accessible to everyone, Wolfram|Alpha will deliver 22 Windows 8 apps for tablets, including the Wolfram|Alpha App,16 Course Assistant Apps, and 5 Reference Apps.
- Knewton Inc. and Microsoft announced a global alliance to promote adaptive learning and support Microsoft's partner and publisher ecosystem in personalizing content for students.
- A global partnership with CK-12 Foundation supports the development of innovative Windows 8 apps to provide students and teachers with access to a rich library of K–12 STEM content at no cost.
Now in its 10th year, the Microsoft in Education Global Forum brings together more than 1,100 of the most innovative and committed educators, school leaders and government officials from around the world — including more than 250 Expert Educators and 75 Mentor School leaders. Each year, the Global Forum provides an opportunity for education's best and brightest to learn from their peers, share classroom triumphs and challenges, and collaborate to help transform education for the 21st century.
Microsoft's focus on privacy in education is part of the YouthSpark initiative, our global commitment to empowering youth through opportunities for education, employment and entrepreneurship. In its first year alone, YouthSpark created new opportunities for more than 103 million young people in over 100 countries around the world.
The Microsoft in Education Global Forum is supported by Platinum- and Gold-level sponsors Pearson, Promethean, Dell Inc., Intel Corporation, Acer and the School Improvement Network.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,438
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 364
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 324
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 820
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 28, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 396
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,763
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,104
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,076
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 351
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,604
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,083
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,177
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,654
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,248
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,618