|By PR Newswire||
|March 12, 2014 11:30 AM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that surveyed U.S. and European retinal specialists ascribe a moderate to high unmet need for wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD) therapies that improve visual acuity. In line with this finding, surveyed U.S. retinal specialists expect that they would prescribe Ophthotech's Fovista to 25 percent of their wet AMD patients. Fovista is an adjunctive, anti-platelet-derived growth factor that is being developed with the aim of improving visual acuity over monotherapy with existing anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) standards of care.
Other key findings from the DecisionBase report entitled Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration: How Receptive Are Retinal Specialists and Payers to Emerging Therapies Offering Vision Improvements or Greater Dosing Convenience?:
- Eylea and Lucentis: Eylea (Regeneron/Bayer HealthCare) achieves the position of current clinical gold standard in Decision Resources Group's proprietary drug comparator model, thanks to physician perception of its less frequent dosing relative to market leader Lucentis (Roche/Genentech/Novartis).
- Unmet need: Regardless of the incremental delivery benefit offered by Eylea, surveyed U.S. and European retinal specialists indicate that dosing frequency improvements remain an area of moderate to high unmet need in wet AMD.
- Formulary inclusion: Surveyed managed care organization pharmacy directors, however, appear disinclined to include new agents offering once every three months dosing on formulary when priced at a premium to current agents.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Nadja Rozovsky, Ph.D.:
- "With vision maintained and at times improved in the majority of patients treated with anti-VEGF therapies, interviewed experts highlight the need for new therapies that would yield greater gains in visual acuity, and clinical trial data suggest that the emerging therapy Fovista may partially fulfill this opportunity. Moreover, Decision Resources Group's adaptive choice-based conjoint analysis for wet AMD indicates a high prescribing likelihood among surveyed U.S. retinal specialists for a target product profile similar to that of Fovista."
- "Surveyed U.S. payers do not appear receptive to wet AMD therapies that offer only delivery frequency improvements, yet they are willing to include on formularies wet AMD therapies with lower risk of serious ocular side effects. Future wet AMD therapies offering less-invasive routes of administration, such as Ohr Pharmaceutical's squalamine eye drops, may be clinically differentiated not only on delivery convenience but also on safety by offering a potential reduction in the risk of serious delivery-related ocular side effects."
- Media members are welcome to attend our upcoming webinar based on this report entitled Emerging Wet AMD Treatments: How Receptive Are Retinal Specialists and Payers to Therapies Offering Greater Dosing Convenience or Vision Improvements? This presentation will be held on Wednesday, March 26, 2014. For more information, please contact Christopher Comfort at [email protected].
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,007
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,015
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,945
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,694
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,216
Oct. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,715
Oct. 28, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,164
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 741
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 8,652
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 782
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,722
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,411
Oct. 28, 2016 12:52 PM EDT Reads: 218
Oct. 28, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 741
Oct. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 634