|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 03:30 AM EDT||
FRIMLEY, England, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Australian recommendation adds to clinical recommendations in the Czech Republic, Poland and funding decisions in regions of Germany and Italy
- Recommendations highlight support for inclusion of Bexsero on routine childhood immunisation schedules to help protect against this devastating disease
- Bexsero is licensed in the EU, Canada and Australia and has been available privately since 2013, with more than 500,000 doses shipped to date,,,,
Novartis has announced that Australia has joined the growing number of countries where following licensure, Bexsero®▼ (Meningococcal Group B Vaccine [rDNA, component, adsorbed]) has received a clinical recommendation for the vaccine's routine use to help protect against meningitis B. These recommendations follow recent access milestones for Bexsero in multiple regions across Europe, including some regions of Italy and Germany. Bexsero is the only broad coverage vaccine to help protect against meningitis B, a potentially deadly disease that disproportionately affects infants and adolescents,.
Australia's advisory body on immunisation matters, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), has recommended Bexsero for all young Australians, with an emphasis on infants and children under 2 years of age and adolescents 15-19 years of age. Inclusion in the National Immunisation Program is under consideration.
In Europe, Bexsero continues to gain endorsements from health authorities and experts:
- In Italy, the Basilicata region recommends Bexsero for the routine vaccination of infants and will have an active call to parents that includes providing the vaccine free of charge. The Board of Calendario per la Vita, comprised of the country's foremost scientific societies, has recommended Bexsero for all infants with three doses in the first year of life and one dose at 13 months of age.
- In Germany, more than 35 statutory sickness funds (semi-public health insurance providers) have chosen to voluntarily reimburse Bexsero for all children (ages 2 months to 18 years). Bexsero is also recommended by the German Academy of Child and Adolescent Medicine (DAKJ), a leading paediatric association,.
- Poland has a clinical recommendation for routine vaccination with Bexsero for infants, children and adolescents (starting at 2 months of age).
- In addition, the Czech Vaccinology Society has recommended vaccination with Bexsero for infants, toddlers and children (aged 2 months to 10 years), adolescents (ages 13-15 years) and other high-risk individuals.
"For a vaccine-preventable disease, every child lost or disabled is one too many," said Andrin Oswald, Division Head, Novartis Vaccines. "These regional milestones are a testament to the public health benefits of Bexsero and we are hopeful that governments around the world will continue to act with a sense of urgency to help protect those most vulnerable from the devastation of meningitis B."
Meningitis B is a rare but aggressive and often deadly disease; it is the leading cause of meningococcal disease and septicaemia in the developed world,. Meningitis B can kill or cause serious life-long disabilities within 24 hours of onset, leaving little time for intervention. Vaccination is therefore the best defence against this aggressive disease.
Bexsero is the only licensed broad coverage vaccine approved in the European Union, Canada and Australia to help protect against meningitis B,,,, and has been available privately since 2013 in an ever-increasing number of countries with more than 500,000 doses shipped to date. Bexsero was also recently provided to students at Princeton University and the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) in the United States (US) under an Investigational New Drug (IND) designation from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which was issued in response to meningitis B outbreaks on these campuses,. To date, over 30,000 doses of Bexsero have been distributed in the US.
The foregoing release contains forward-looking statements that can be identified by words such as "recommendation," "recommendations," "potentially," "recommended," "under consideration," "continues," "recommends," "will," "call," "hopeful," "continue," "can," or similar terms, or by express or implied discussions regarding potential additional marketing approvals for Bexsero, or regarding potential future revenues from Bexsero. You should not place undue reliance on these statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on the current beliefs and expectations of management regarding future events, and are subject to significant known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialise, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements. There can be no guarantee that Bexsero will be submitted or approved for sale in any additional markets, or at any particular time. Nor can there be any guarantee that Bexsero will be commercially successful in the future. In particular, management's expectations regarding Bexsero could be affected by, among other things, unexpected regulatory actions or delays or government regulation generally; the uncertainties inherent in research and development, including unexpected clinical trial results and additional analysis of existing clinical data; global trends toward health care cost containment, including ongoing pricing pressures; the company's ability to obtain or maintain proprietary intellectual property protection; general economic and industry conditions; unexpected manufacturing issues, and other risks and factors referred to in Novartis AG's current Form 20-F on file with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. Novartis is providing the information in this press release as of this date and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this press release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Novartis provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care, cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals, preventive vaccines and diagnostic tools, over-the-counter and animal health products. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2013, the Group achieved net sales of USD 57.9 billion, while R&D throughout the Group amounted to approximately USD 9.9 billion (USD 9.6 billion excluding impairment and amortisation charges). Novartis Group companies employ approximately 136,000 full-time-equivalent associates and operate in more than 140 countries around the world.
For more information, please visit http://www.novartis.com.
Novartis is on Twitter. Sign up to follow @Novartis at http://twitter.com/novartis.
- EMA. Authorization Details for Bexsero. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/002333/human_med_001614.jsp& mid=WC0b01ac058001d124. Accessed March 2014.
- EMA. EU Member States. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/partners_and_networks/general/general_content_000219.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058003174e. Accessed March 2014.
- Health Canada. Bexsero. Available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/sbd-smd/drug-med/sbd_smd_2014_bexsero_147275-eng.php. Accessed March 2014.
- Australian Government: Department of Health: Therapeutic Goods Administration. Available at: http://www.tga.gov.au/pdf/auspar/auspar-meningococcal-131031.pdf. Accessed March 2014.
- Novartis Data on File.
- World Health Organization. Meningococcal Meningitis. Fact sheet 141. November 2012. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs141/en/index.html. Accessed March 2014.
- Cohn, A. et al. Changes in Neisseria meningitides Disease Epidemiology in the United States, 1998-2007: Implications for Prevention of Meningococcal Disease. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010:50. Accessed March 2014.
- Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation. Advice for immunisation providers regarding the use of Bexsero. http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/85A6879534C02B4DCA257B640002F38E/$File/ATAGI-advice-bexsero.pdf. Accessed March 2014.
- Proposta del Board del 'Calendario per la Vita' (Sltl, SIP, FIMP e FIMMG) sull'inserimento del vaccine anti-meningococco B nel calendario delle vaccinazioni dell'infanzia. Available at: http://www.panoramasanita.it/docs/documentocongiuntositifimpsipfimmg.pdf. Accessed on March 2014.
- Novartis Data on File.
- Deutsche Akademie fur Kinder - und Jugendmedizin E.V. Impfprophylaxe invasiver Erkrankungen mit Meningokokken der Serogruppe B. Available at: http://dakj.de/media/stellungnahmen/infektionskrankheiten-impffragen/2013-meningokokkenB-impfprophylaxe.pdf. Accessed March 2014.
- Poland Ministry of Health. W sprawie Programu Szczepień Ochronnych na rok 2014. http://www.gis.gov.pl/ckfinder/userfiles/files/EP/informacje%20dla%20podr%C3%B3%C5%BCuj%C4%85cych/PSO%202014.pdf. Accessed March 2014.
- Novartis Data on File.
- World Health Organization. Bacterial Meningitis. Available at: http://apps.who.int/nuvi/meningitis/en/. Accessed March 2014.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Princeton University Meningococcal Disease Outbreak. December 2013. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/outbreaks/princeton.html. Accessed March 2014.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. University of California, Santa Barbara Meningococcal Disease Outbreak. January 2014. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/outbreaks/ucsb.html. Accessed March 2014.
- Novartis Data on File.
Date of preparation: March 2014
Organizations planning enterprise data center consolidation and modernization projects are faced with a challenging, costly reality. Requirements to deploy modern, cloud-native applications simultaneously with traditional client/server applications are almost impossible to achieve with hardware-centric enterprise infrastructure. Compute and network infrastructure are fast moving down a software-defined path, but storage has been a laggard. Until now.
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,389
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,018
Kubernetes is a new and revolutionary open-sourced system for managing containers across multiple hosts in a cluster. Ansible is a simple IT automation tool for just about any requirement for reproducible environments. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Patrick Galbraith, a principal engineer at HPE, discussed how to build a fully functional Kubernetes cluster on a number of virtual machines or bare-metal hosts. Also included will be a brief demonstration of running a Galera M...
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,159
Unless your company can spend a lot of money on new technology, re-engineering your environment and hiring a comprehensive cybersecurity team, you will most likely move to the cloud or seek external service partnerships. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Darren Guccione, CEO of Keeper Security, revealed what you need to know when it comes to encryption in the cloud.
Dec. 5, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 4,642
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 922
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 613
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 5, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 734
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate with IBM Cloud Data Services, discussed...
Dec. 5, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 3,325
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 5, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,566
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 5, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,805
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Dec. 5, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 6,079
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 5, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 3,814
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 5, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 1,158
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 917
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Dec. 4, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 1,670