|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
- Business Travel Spending Set To Grow 5.1% in 2014, 6.5% in 2015
- First Year Since 2010 Forecast Projects Increase in Business Travel Spend in all Five Markets
LONDON, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the voice of the global business travel industry, announces the results of its latest GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe report, a semi-annual analysis of the five most critical business travel markets in Europe: Germany, the UK, France, Italy and Spain. These five markets together form the lion's share of business travel in the region acting as a good barometer of the health of the entire European business travel market. The report, sponsored by Visa Inc., includes the GBTA BTI™; an index of business travel spending that distills market performance over a period of time.
Key highlights of the report include:
- Business travel spending among the five markets is expected to hit $186.5 billion USD (€137B) in 2014, a 5.1% growth over 2013. The projected rate of growth is expected to increase in 2015 as spending picks up another 6.5% growing to $198.6 billion USD (€157B).
- The outlook for four of the five markets included in our analysis, Germany, the UK, France and Spain, were all revised upward from our expectations in our GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe 2013H2.
- Improved business confidence and expectations for stronger economic growth and employment growth contributed to stronger expectations for both domestic and international outbound business travel in Western Europe.
- While the North – South divide still exists and Germany and the UK will again lead the way in business travel spending for the rest of the region, France, Italy and Spain now appear to be showing solid signs of recovery.
- 2014 is expected to be first year since 2010 that sees all five business travel markets included in our analysis witness gains in business travel spending.
"Continued signs of strength and progress in the European economy and gathering momentum suggest that 2014 will be a transition year, said Catherine McGavock, Regional Director for Europe for GBTA. "At long last the 2012-2013 recession appears to be over and the European economy on a more solid footing. While challenges remain, this is very positive news and bodes well for business travel growth as business confidence rises across the region."
"According to the report, stronger economic conditions are forecast to lead to an across-the-board increase in business travel throughout Western Europe," said Tad Fordyce, SVP, Global Commercial Solutions, Visa. "As 2014 progresses there are still economic hurdles to clear, but the overall forecast is trending in a positive direction."
Outlook Positive, But Challenges Remain
Of course risks to this fragile recovery and a more promising forecast are ever-present. The sovereign debt crisis is far from over, oil prices are always a danger given the potential for Middle East supply interruptions and emerging markets currency risk has also recently show the potential for financial shocks. A new worry is the concern over current rates of disinflation giving way to deflation which can lead households and businesses to delay purchases in anticipation of lower future prices causing aggregate spending to drop.
Country-Level Business Travel Outlooks
- The German economy continues to remain one of the most robust in all of Europe. GBTA expects business travel spending to grow 7% in 2014 and really pick up the pace in 2015 with 10.6% growth – an unprecedented rate for a market as developed as Germany's.
- Spending on domestic business travel is on the rise with expected growth of 7.2% in 2014 and another 12.2% in 2015.
- After rebounding with 5.3% growth in 2013, GBTA expects international outbound travel spending to increase 6.3% in 2014.
- GBTA expects strong performance in UK business travel over the next two years with total business travel spending near $43 billion USD (£25.7B) in 2014, up 4.4% from 2013. Spending will continue to pick up pace in 2015, advancing 5.1% to $45.2 billion USD (£27B).
- Domestic spending is poised for strong growth in 2014 and 2015, with projected growth of 5.0% and 6.9% respectively.
- International outbound business travel is projected to grow 3.2% in 2014 and 1.7% in 2015.
- GBTA forecasts total business travel spending will finally turn positive in 2014 after two years of decline growing 5.4% to $37 billion USD (€26.8B) and will see similar gains in 2015, expanding 5.5% to $39 billion USD (€30.6B).
- Domestic business travel spending continues is expected to pick up momentum over 2014 and 2015 with growth projected at 3.6% and 7.1% respectively.
- Snapping back from negative spending in 2013, international outbound spending is expected to grow aggressively in 2014 at 8.8%, before it will moderate in 2015 with 2.6% growth to $13.5 billion USD (€9.8B).
- Spanish business travel spending has fallen on an annual basis for 10 consecutive quarters, but after finally beginning to grow in the second quarter, GBTA expects a 4% rise in 2014 followed by another 5% increase in 2015 to $18.4 billion USD (€14.4B).
- Domestic business travel will pick up 2.5% in 2014 and quicken the pace in 2015, growing 5.2%
- Spending on international outbound will leap forward 10% in 2014 and moderate to 4.2% growth in 2015.
- GBTA expects the first quarter of 2014 will be the last quarter of annual spending declines forecasting 2.8% growth followed by another 2.8% growth in 2015 to $32 billion USD (€25.2B).
- After falling in 2013, spending on domestic business travel in Italy will grow 2.4% in 2014 with similar projected gains of 2.3% in 2015.
- Spending on international outbound business travel is projected to rise even more steeply than domestic spending with gains of 6.5% in 2014 and another 6.7% in 2015.
About the GBTA Foundation:
The GBTA Foundation is the education and research foundation of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the world's premier business travel and corporate meetings organisation. Collectively, GBTA's 6,000-plus members manage over $340 billion of global business travel and meetings expenditures annually. GBTA provides its network of 21,000 business and government travel and meetings managers, as well as travel service providers, with networking events, news, education & professional development, research, and advocacy. The foundation was established in 1997 to support GBTA's members and the industry as a whole. As the leading education and research foundation in the business travel industry, the GBTA Foundation seeks to fund initiatives to advance the business travel profession. The GBTA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information, see gbta.org and gbta.org/foundation.
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 21, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,915
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Oct. 21, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,805
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 21, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 584
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 21, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,786
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Oct. 21, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,477
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 21, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 911
Most of us already know that adopting new cloud applications can boost a business’s productivity by enabling organizations to be more agile and ready to change course in our fast-moving and connected digital world. But the rapid adoption of cloud apps and services also brings with it profound security threats, including visibility and control challenges that aren’t present in traditional on-premises environments. At the same time, the cloud – because of its interconnected, flexible and adaptable...
Oct. 21, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,680
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Robert Doyle, lead architect at eCube Systems, will examine the issues and need for an agile infrastructure and show the advantages of capturing developer knowledge in an exportable file for migration into production. He will introduce the use of NXTmonitor, a next-generation DevOps tool that captures application environments, dependencies and start/stop procedures in a portable configuration file with an easy-to-use GUI. In addition to captu...
Oct. 21, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and...
Oct. 21, 2016 03:54 PM EDT Reads: 216
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining senso...
Oct. 21, 2016 03:31 PM EDT Reads: 172
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 21, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 279
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Oct. 21, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,358
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 21, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 11,148
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,402
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,429