|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
- Business Travel Spending Set To Grow 5.1% in 2014, 6.5% in 2015
- First Year Since 2010 Forecast Projects Increase in Business Travel Spend in all Five Markets
LONDON, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the voice of the global business travel industry, announces the results of its latest GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe report, a semi-annual analysis of the five most critical business travel markets in Europe: Germany, the UK, France, Italy and Spain. These five markets together form the lion's share of business travel in the region acting as a good barometer of the health of the entire European business travel market. The report, sponsored by Visa Inc., includes the GBTA BTI™; an index of business travel spending that distills market performance over a period of time.
Key highlights of the report include:
- Business travel spending among the five markets is expected to hit $186.5 billion USD (€137B) in 2014, a 5.1% growth over 2013. The projected rate of growth is expected to increase in 2015 as spending picks up another 6.5% growing to $198.6 billion USD (€157B).
- The outlook for four of the five markets included in our analysis, Germany, the UK, France and Spain, were all revised upward from our expectations in our GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe 2013H2.
- Improved business confidence and expectations for stronger economic growth and employment growth contributed to stronger expectations for both domestic and international outbound business travel in Western Europe.
- While the North – South divide still exists and Germany and the UK will again lead the way in business travel spending for the rest of the region, France, Italy and Spain now appear to be showing solid signs of recovery.
- 2014 is expected to be first year since 2010 that sees all five business travel markets included in our analysis witness gains in business travel spending.
"Continued signs of strength and progress in the European economy and gathering momentum suggest that 2014 will be a transition year, said Catherine McGavock, Regional Director for Europe for GBTA. "At long last the 2012-2013 recession appears to be over and the European economy on a more solid footing. While challenges remain, this is very positive news and bodes well for business travel growth as business confidence rises across the region."
"According to the report, stronger economic conditions are forecast to lead to an across-the-board increase in business travel throughout Western Europe," said Tad Fordyce, SVP, Global Commercial Solutions, Visa. "As 2014 progresses there are still economic hurdles to clear, but the overall forecast is trending in a positive direction."
Outlook Positive, But Challenges Remain
Of course risks to this fragile recovery and a more promising forecast are ever-present. The sovereign debt crisis is far from over, oil prices are always a danger given the potential for Middle East supply interruptions and emerging markets currency risk has also recently show the potential for financial shocks. A new worry is the concern over current rates of disinflation giving way to deflation which can lead households and businesses to delay purchases in anticipation of lower future prices causing aggregate spending to drop.
Country-Level Business Travel Outlooks
- The German economy continues to remain one of the most robust in all of Europe. GBTA expects business travel spending to grow 7% in 2014 and really pick up the pace in 2015 with 10.6% growth – an unprecedented rate for a market as developed as Germany's.
- Spending on domestic business travel is on the rise with expected growth of 7.2% in 2014 and another 12.2% in 2015.
- After rebounding with 5.3% growth in 2013, GBTA expects international outbound travel spending to increase 6.3% in 2014.
- GBTA expects strong performance in UK business travel over the next two years with total business travel spending near $43 billion USD (£25.7B) in 2014, up 4.4% from 2013. Spending will continue to pick up pace in 2015, advancing 5.1% to $45.2 billion USD (£27B).
- Domestic spending is poised for strong growth in 2014 and 2015, with projected growth of 5.0% and 6.9% respectively.
- International outbound business travel is projected to grow 3.2% in 2014 and 1.7% in 2015.
- GBTA forecasts total business travel spending will finally turn positive in 2014 after two years of decline growing 5.4% to $37 billion USD (€26.8B) and will see similar gains in 2015, expanding 5.5% to $39 billion USD (€30.6B).
- Domestic business travel spending continues is expected to pick up momentum over 2014 and 2015 with growth projected at 3.6% and 7.1% respectively.
- Snapping back from negative spending in 2013, international outbound spending is expected to grow aggressively in 2014 at 8.8%, before it will moderate in 2015 with 2.6% growth to $13.5 billion USD (€9.8B).
- Spanish business travel spending has fallen on an annual basis for 10 consecutive quarters, but after finally beginning to grow in the second quarter, GBTA expects a 4% rise in 2014 followed by another 5% increase in 2015 to $18.4 billion USD (€14.4B).
- Domestic business travel will pick up 2.5% in 2014 and quicken the pace in 2015, growing 5.2%
- Spending on international outbound will leap forward 10% in 2014 and moderate to 4.2% growth in 2015.
- GBTA expects the first quarter of 2014 will be the last quarter of annual spending declines forecasting 2.8% growth followed by another 2.8% growth in 2015 to $32 billion USD (€25.2B).
- After falling in 2013, spending on domestic business travel in Italy will grow 2.4% in 2014 with similar projected gains of 2.3% in 2015.
- Spending on international outbound business travel is projected to rise even more steeply than domestic spending with gains of 6.5% in 2014 and another 6.7% in 2015.
About the GBTA Foundation:
The GBTA Foundation is the education and research foundation of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the world's premier business travel and corporate meetings organisation. Collectively, GBTA's 6,000-plus members manage over $340 billion of global business travel and meetings expenditures annually. GBTA provides its network of 21,000 business and government travel and meetings managers, as well as travel service providers, with networking events, news, education & professional development, research, and advocacy. The foundation was established in 1997 to support GBTA's members and the industry as a whole. As the leading education and research foundation in the business travel industry, the GBTA Foundation seeks to fund initiatives to advance the business travel profession. The GBTA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information, see gbta.org and gbta.org/foundation.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 7, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 136
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 314
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 185
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 257
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 370
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 138
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 555
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 360
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 182
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 149
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 331
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 343
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 127