|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
- Business Travel Spending Set To Grow 5.1% in 2014, 6.5% in 2015
- First Year Since 2010 Forecast Projects Increase in Business Travel Spend in all Five Markets
LONDON, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the voice of the global business travel industry, announces the results of its latest GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe report, a semi-annual analysis of the five most critical business travel markets in Europe: Germany, the UK, France, Italy and Spain. These five markets together form the lion's share of business travel in the region acting as a good barometer of the health of the entire European business travel market. The report, sponsored by Visa Inc., includes the GBTA BTI™; an index of business travel spending that distills market performance over a period of time.
Key highlights of the report include:
- Business travel spending among the five markets is expected to hit $186.5 billion USD (€137B) in 2014, a 5.1% growth over 2013. The projected rate of growth is expected to increase in 2015 as spending picks up another 6.5% growing to $198.6 billion USD (€157B).
- The outlook for four of the five markets included in our analysis, Germany, the UK, France and Spain, were all revised upward from our expectations in our GBTA BTI™ Outlook – Western Europe 2013H2.
- Improved business confidence and expectations for stronger economic growth and employment growth contributed to stronger expectations for both domestic and international outbound business travel in Western Europe.
- While the North – South divide still exists and Germany and the UK will again lead the way in business travel spending for the rest of the region, France, Italy and Spain now appear to be showing solid signs of recovery.
- 2014 is expected to be first year since 2010 that sees all five business travel markets included in our analysis witness gains in business travel spending.
"Continued signs of strength and progress in the European economy and gathering momentum suggest that 2014 will be a transition year, said Catherine McGavock, Regional Director for Europe for GBTA. "At long last the 2012-2013 recession appears to be over and the European economy on a more solid footing. While challenges remain, this is very positive news and bodes well for business travel growth as business confidence rises across the region."
"According to the report, stronger economic conditions are forecast to lead to an across-the-board increase in business travel throughout Western Europe," said Tad Fordyce, SVP, Global Commercial Solutions, Visa. "As 2014 progresses there are still economic hurdles to clear, but the overall forecast is trending in a positive direction."
Outlook Positive, But Challenges Remain
Of course risks to this fragile recovery and a more promising forecast are ever-present. The sovereign debt crisis is far from over, oil prices are always a danger given the potential for Middle East supply interruptions and emerging markets currency risk has also recently show the potential for financial shocks. A new worry is the concern over current rates of disinflation giving way to deflation which can lead households and businesses to delay purchases in anticipation of lower future prices causing aggregate spending to drop.
Country-Level Business Travel Outlooks
- The German economy continues to remain one of the most robust in all of Europe. GBTA expects business travel spending to grow 7% in 2014 and really pick up the pace in 2015 with 10.6% growth – an unprecedented rate for a market as developed as Germany's.
- Spending on domestic business travel is on the rise with expected growth of 7.2% in 2014 and another 12.2% in 2015.
- After rebounding with 5.3% growth in 2013, GBTA expects international outbound travel spending to increase 6.3% in 2014.
- GBTA expects strong performance in UK business travel over the next two years with total business travel spending near $43 billion USD (£25.7B) in 2014, up 4.4% from 2013. Spending will continue to pick up pace in 2015, advancing 5.1% to $45.2 billion USD (£27B).
- Domestic spending is poised for strong growth in 2014 and 2015, with projected growth of 5.0% and 6.9% respectively.
- International outbound business travel is projected to grow 3.2% in 2014 and 1.7% in 2015.
- GBTA forecasts total business travel spending will finally turn positive in 2014 after two years of decline growing 5.4% to $37 billion USD (€26.8B) and will see similar gains in 2015, expanding 5.5% to $39 billion USD (€30.6B).
- Domestic business travel spending continues is expected to pick up momentum over 2014 and 2015 with growth projected at 3.6% and 7.1% respectively.
- Snapping back from negative spending in 2013, international outbound spending is expected to grow aggressively in 2014 at 8.8%, before it will moderate in 2015 with 2.6% growth to $13.5 billion USD (€9.8B).
- Spanish business travel spending has fallen on an annual basis for 10 consecutive quarters, but after finally beginning to grow in the second quarter, GBTA expects a 4% rise in 2014 followed by another 5% increase in 2015 to $18.4 billion USD (€14.4B).
- Domestic business travel will pick up 2.5% in 2014 and quicken the pace in 2015, growing 5.2%
- Spending on international outbound will leap forward 10% in 2014 and moderate to 4.2% growth in 2015.
- GBTA expects the first quarter of 2014 will be the last quarter of annual spending declines forecasting 2.8% growth followed by another 2.8% growth in 2015 to $32 billion USD (€25.2B).
- After falling in 2013, spending on domestic business travel in Italy will grow 2.4% in 2014 with similar projected gains of 2.3% in 2015.
- Spending on international outbound business travel is projected to rise even more steeply than domestic spending with gains of 6.5% in 2014 and another 6.7% in 2015.
About the GBTA Foundation:
The GBTA Foundation is the education and research foundation of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), the world's premier business travel and corporate meetings organisation. Collectively, GBTA's 6,000-plus members manage over $340 billion of global business travel and meetings expenditures annually. GBTA provides its network of 21,000 business and government travel and meetings managers, as well as travel service providers, with networking events, news, education & professional development, research, and advocacy. The foundation was established in 1997 to support GBTA's members and the industry as a whole. As the leading education and research foundation in the business travel industry, the GBTA Foundation seeks to fund initiatives to advance the business travel profession. The GBTA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information, see gbta.org and gbta.org/foundation.
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,665
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 29, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,680
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,989
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 29, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,083
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,219
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,230
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yoseph Reuveni, Director of Software Engineering at Jet.com, will discuss Jet.com's journey into containerizing Microsoft-based technologies like C# and F# into Docker. He will talk about lessons learned and challenges faced, the Mono framework tryout and how they deployed everything into Azure cloud. Yoseph Reuveni is a technology leader with unique experience developing and running high throughput (over 1M tps) distributed systems with extre...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,223
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,438
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,099
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,724
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,452
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 28, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,717
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,237
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Jul. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 404
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,647