|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 06:30 AM EDT||
CALGARY, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Oncolytics Biotech Inc. (TSX:ONC, NASDAQ:ONCY) ("Oncolytics" or the "Company") today announced its financial results and operational highlights for the year ended December 31, 2014.
"In 2013, we reported data from a number of clinical studies, which included our first data correlating specific biomarkers with survival in NSCLC lung cancer patients and culminated with the reporting of our first randomized data in head and neck cancer," said Dr. Brad Thompson, President and CEO of Oncolytics. "Our randomized clinical program continues to move ahead with six sponsored studies currently enrolling patients in a range of indications. Each of these studies will advance in parallel with our ongoing head and neck program which we are currently in the process of designing a follow-on registration study for discussion with regulators."
Since January 1, 2013, specific highlights announced by the Company include:
Clinical Trial Results
- Top-line data for the endpoints in a double blinded, randomized clinical study examining REOLYSIN® in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with second-line platinum-refractory, taxane-naïve head and neck cancers (REO 018). An analysis was performed on an intent-to-treat basis of 118 patients with loco-regional head and neck cancer, with or without metastases. Patients in the control arm were treated with carboplatin and paclitaxel, while patients in the test arm were treated with carboplatin, paclitaxel and REOLYSIN. The analysis showed a median progression free survival (PFS) of 94 days (13.4 weeks) in the test arm (n=62), versus 50 days (7.1 weeks) in the control arm (n=56). The test arm maintained a PFS benefit over the control arm through five cycles of therapy. An analysis of 88 loco-regional patients that did not receive additional therapy following discontinuation of study treatment showed a median overall survival (OS) of 150 days (21.4 weeks) in the test arm (n=50), versus 115 days (16.4 weeks) in the control arm (n=38). REOLYSIN was deemed safe and well-tolerated by patients. The side effects experienced by patients in the test arm of the study were consistent with expectations based on outcomes of earlier clinical studies using REOLYSIN. Patients on the test arm of the study experienced a higher incidence of flu-like symptoms consistent with treatment with a virus, most commonly mild fever, chills, nausea and diarrhea, on both a per-patient and a per-cycle basis. Fewer patients required dose reductions of paclitaxel due to neuropathy or neurotoxicity on the test arm than the control arm (zero in the test arm versus six in the control arm; p=0.028). On this basis, the Company intends to explore the potential chemoprotective and neuroprotective properties of REOLYSIN in future clinical studies;
- Positive final results from a U.S. Phase 2 study examining the use of REOLYSIN in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with Kras or EGFR-activated tumors (REO 016). Response evaluation for 36 evaluable patients showed 11 partial responses (PR) (30%) (EGFR amplified, five; BRAF two; Kras, three; EGFR mutated, one), 21 stable disease (SD), and four progressive disease (PD). The data also correlated a number of molecular abnormalities with best response, PFS and one-year survival. Current data in these patients demonstrates that 20 of 36 evaluable patients (56%) survived a year or more. There were 13 patients with only EGFR mutations or amplifications, of whom nine (69.2%) survived a year or longer. Four of four (100%) patients with BRAF and EGFR amplification survived a year or longer;
- Final tumor response and PFS data from a U.S. Phase 2 clinical trial in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the lung (SCCLC) using intravenous administration of REOLYSIN in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel (REO 021). Of the 25 evaluable patients who had more than one cycle of therapy, 23 (92%) exhibited overall tumor shrinkage. When evaluated for best response, which is the best percentage response recorded on study compared to baseline, 10 patients (40%) had PR, while a further 14 (56%) showed SD, and one (4%), had PD. Using RECIST criteria to evaluate best overall response, 10 patients (40%) had PRs, 12 (48%) showed SD and three (12%), had PD. 31.8% of patients with sufficient follow up had a PFS greater than six months;
- Reaching the stage 1 endpoint in a U.S. Phase 2 clinical trial in patients with metastatic melanoma (REO 020) after only 14 patients were enrolled. The primary objective of this Phase 2 trial was to assess the antitumor effect of the treatment regimen in the study population in terms of objective response rates. The secondary objectives were to assess progression-free survival and overall survival for the treatment regimen; the disease control rate (complete response (CR) plus PR plus SD) and duration, and to assess the safety and tolerability of the treatment regimen in the study population. Three of the 14 patients exhibited a PR, and an additional seven patients had SD for a disease control rate of 71.5%; and
Positive preliminary results from a Phase 1 study examining the
intravenous administration of REOLYSIN in combination with FOLFIRI in
patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (REO 022) in a poster
presentation at the ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Of the 18
patients evaluable for response there was one PR and nine had SD. The
combined overall PFS of FOLFIRI-naïve and FOLFIRI-failed patients was
7.4 months. The authors concluded that the combination of REOLYSIN and
FOLFIRI was safe and well tolerated and resulted in disease control in
the majority of evaluable patients, including patients that had
previously progressed on Irinotecan.
- At December 31, 2013 the Company reported $27.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments; and
- Subsequent to year end, entry into a share purchase agreement with Lincoln Park Capital Fund, LLC that will provide an initial investment in Oncolytics of US$1.0 million and make available additional periodic investments of up to US$25.0 million over a 30-month term.
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF FINANCIAL POSITION|
|Cash and cash equivalents||25,220,328||19,323,541|
|Total current assets||27,689,568||21,668,842|
|Property and equipment||532,459||409,248|
|Total non-current assets||532,459||409,248|
|Liabilities And Shareholders' Equity|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||6,008,661||7,291,310|
|Total current liabilities||6,008,661||7,291,310|
|Issued: December 31, 2013 - 84,803,818|
|December 31, 2012 - 76,710,285||228,612,564||198,155,091|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||79,698||(57,115)|
|Total shareholders' equity||22,213,366||14,786,780|
|Total liabilities and equity||28,222,027||22,078,090|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF LOSS AND COMPREHENSIVE LOSS|
|For the years ending December 31,||
|Research and development||18,506,064||31,402,625||23,386,685|
|Loss before the following||(23,898,724)||(36,688,050)||(28,721,267)|
|Write down of asset available for sale||—||—||(735,681)|
|Change in fair value of warrant liability||—||—||36,000|
|Loss before income taxes||(23,527,239)||(36,343,047)||(29,004,701)|
|Income tax expense||(5,408)||(30,474)||(40,000)|
Other comprehensive income items that may
be reclassified to net loss
|Net comprehensive loss||(23,395,834)||(36,313,135)||(29,005,542)|
|Basic and diluted loss per common share||(0.28)||(0.48)||(0.41)|
|Weighted average number of shares (basic and diluted)||83,530,981||76,102,062||70,911,526|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CHANGES IN EQUITY|
|As at December 31, 2010||155,439,610||4,108,652||19,399,489||(156,660)||(142,396,131)||36,394,960|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||39,159||(29,044,701)||(29,005,542)|
|Exercise of warrants||21,487,080||(1,455,025)||—||—||—||20,032,055|
|Exercise of stock options||355,876||—||(62,473)||—||—||293,403|
|Share based compensation||—||—||1,805,503||—||—||1,805,503|
|As at December 31, 2011||177,282,566||2,653,627||21,142,519||(117,501)||(171,440,832)||29,520,379|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||60,386||(36,373,521)||(36,313,135)|
|Issued, pursuant to a bought deal financing||19,386,903||376,892||—||—||—||19,763,795|
|Expiry of warrants||—||(2,653,627)||2,653,627||—||—||—|
|Exercise of stock options||1,485,622||—||(400,632)||—||—||1,084,990|
|Share based compensation||—||—||730,751||—||—||730,751|
|As at December 31, 2012||198,155,091||376,892||24,126,265||(57,115)||(207,814,353)||14,786,780|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||136,813||(23,532,647)||(23,395,834)|
|Issued, pursuant to a bought deal financing||30,218,796||—||—||—||—||30,218,796|
|Expiry of warrants||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Exercise of stock options||238,677||—||(59,437)||—||—||179,240|
|Share based compensation||—||—||424,384||—||—||424,384|
|As at December 31, 2013||228,612,564||376,892||24,491,212||79,698||(231,347,000)||22,213,366|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS|
|For the years ending December 31,||
|Net loss for the year||(23,532,647)||(36,373,521)||(29,044,701)|
|Amortization - property and equipment||131,623||109,275||92,590|
|Share based compensation||424,384||730,751||1,805,503|
|Change in fair value of warrant liability||—||—||(36,000)|
|Write down of asset available for sale||—||—||735,681|
|Unrealized foreign exchange loss||(89,721)||89,890||115,234|
|Net change in non-cash working capital||(1,374,172)||1,187,967||3,790,510|
|Cash used in operating activities||(24,440,533)||(34,255,638)||(22,541,183)|
|Acquisition of property and equipment||(254,834)||(126,412)||(257,790)|
|Redemption (purchase) of short-term investments||(32,416)||(32,441)||1,672,459|
|Cash provided by (used in) investing activities||(287,250)||(158,853)||1,414,669|
|Proceeds from exercise of stock options and warrants||179,240||1,084,990||14,824,658|
|Proceeds from public offering||30,218,796||19,763,795||—|
|Cash provided by financing activities||30,398,036||20,848,785||14,824,658|
|Increase (decrease) in cash||5,670,253||(13,565,706)||(6,301,856)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of year||19,323,541||32,918,751||39,296,682|
|Impact of foreign exchange on cash and cash equivalents||226,534||(29,504)||(76,075)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of year||25,220,328||19,323,541||32,918,751|
To view the Company's Fiscal 2013 Consolidated Financial Statements, related Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements, and Management's Discussion and Analysis, please see the Company's annual filings which will be available on www.sedar.com and on www.oncolyticsbiotech.com/for-investors/financials.
About Oncolytics Biotech Inc.
Oncolytics is a Calgary-based biotechnology company focused on the development of oncolytic viruses as potential cancer therapeutics. Oncolytics' clinical program includes a variety of human trials including a Phase III trial in head and neck cancers using REOLYSIN, its proprietary formulation of the human reovirus. For further information about Oncolytics, please visit: www.oncolyticsbiotech.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements, including the Company's belief as to the potential of REOLYSIN as a cancer therapeutic; the Company's expectations as to the success of its research and development programs in 2014 and beyond, the Company's planned operations, the value of the additional patents and intellectual property; the Company's expectations related to the applications of the patented technology; the Company's expectations as to adequacy of its existing capital resources; the design, timing, success of planned clinical trial programs; and other statements related to anticipated developments in the Company's business and technologies involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, which could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others, the availability of funds and resources to pursue research and development projects, the efficacy of REOLYSIN as a cancer treatment, the success and timely completion of clinical studies and trials, the Company's ability to successfully commercialize REOLYSIN, uncertainties related to the research and development of pharmaceuticals, uncertainties related to the regulatory process and general changes to the economic environment. Investors should consult the Company's quarterly and annual filings with the Canadian and U.S. securities commissions for additional information on risks and uncertainties relating to the forward-looking statements. Investors are cautioned against placing undue reliance on forward-looking statements. The Company does not undertake to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by applicable laws.
SOURCE Oncolytics Biotech Inc.
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,911
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,386
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,268
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 24, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,010
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 24, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 4,492
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,733
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 5,923
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,735
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 11,733
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 6,525
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,871
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 24, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 3,072
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 24, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 4,831
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EST Reads: 5,095
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 2,014