|By PR Newswire||
|March 18, 2014 02:30 PM EDT||
PASADENA, Texas, March 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Each stage of life comes with different gifts and challenges – and the art of maintaining a balanced, healthy lifestyle includes being able to understand the physiological metamorphoses that occur at each distinct "Age and Stage" to best ensure overall health and well-being. As we enter our 50's, certain body changes make it more important than ever to adopt healthy cardio and physical health protocols to stay in top gear, and provide our hearts with optimal protection. And, who doesn't want to stay trim, youthful looking, energized, and have the support of a well-functioning cardio vascular system to keep us on our game as we age?
Best-selling author and nutritionist Keri Glassman and Kaneka Nutrients, manufacturer of the top heart health ingredient Ubiquinol, the active form of CoQ10, offer up some salient tips to help everyday folks "age like a star" as they top the big 50 – with a special eye on cardio wellness.
Navigating our Bodies' Unique "Ages and Stages"
It's no surprise that our bodies crave different forms of nutritional support at different periods of growth and development. That's because each phase of life brings a series of varied physiological and metabolic changes. When we're kids, moms preach the importance of "eating our vegetables" to glean the multitude of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other healthy compounds that growing bodies require; in our 20's, it's all about getting enough iron, calcium and protein; in our 30's, women, in particular, need folates for their child-bearing years, along with omega 3 fatty acids and calcium to combat emerging bone loss; and in our 40's, fiber, vitamin D and vitamin C take center stage.
Nutritional needs through the decades change because of the ages and stages of our changing lives. Even up until the age of 50, many of us take our health for granted and pay little attention, in particular, to our cardio well-being. But our heart health can naturally decline as we age – and there are specific nutritional needs that come into laser focus as we enter this "fabulous" decade.
The Fabulous Fifties: A Time of Change for Women … and Men
The 50's are a time of immense physiological change – especially for women. Just as our physical appearance starts to change as collagen production decreases, we become more vulnerable to heart health risks and cardio disease than our younger counterparts. Not only does cardio health become increasingly important during this time, but many women experience the onset of menopause, which brings a host of hormonal and metabolic shifts to the body's eco system. And, for both men and women, things start moving a little slower once we surpass this age milestone.
As our metabolism slows, we typically start to store increased belly fat and experience an overall decrease in muscle mass. This is why appropriate caloric intake during this decade becomes more essential than ever before – with an emphasis on nutrient dense food and ingredient choices.
But the 50's are also a life stage filled with vibrant living and full of family activities, professional achievement and recreation. So how can eager "Quinquagenarians" maintain their zest for life, while also helping to keep their heart in top form?
What's Important to Focus on at 50+
- Integrate Monounsaturated Fats (MUFAs) into a healthy diet: It may seem counterintuitive to fight fat with fat, but fats help moderate hormones, appetite, insulin response and vitamin absorption, all of which are especially vital to women during menopause. But all fats are not created equal. Increasing MUFAs can lower your cholesterol. Choosing foods like nuts, olive oil, avocado, and tahini are a good, nutritious and heart healthy option.
- Tap the power of super nutrients for better heart health. Heart disease is the number one killer of women (and total deaths in the United States) and now is your time to prevent it. Ubiquinol, the active form of Coenzyme Q10, is an antioxidant that provides energy for a strong and healthy heart helping to protect and strengthen it. Our bodies naturally produce CoQ10, but as we age, we lose the ability to convert CoQ10 to Ubiquinol. You can get Ubiquinol in small amounts from food sources like beef shoulder, chicken breast, tuna and avocado, but most people will need to supplement their diet. Glassman recommends a Ubiquinol supplement for both men and women starting at age 40 and certainly into the 50's and beyond. (Additionally, studies also show that taking proactive measures to buoy heart health with Ubiquinol is something that even younger generations are starting to really embrace – so that by the time they enter their fifth decade, they're already reaping the cardio benefits.)
- Stay hydrated. Important at every age and stage of life, water makes up about 60 percent of your body weight and every system in your body depends on water. With age, we lose our ability to conserve water and some medications can cause dehydration, too. Don't wait for your body to tell you it's thirsty, because it may be too late!
- Avoid a "processed" foods diet. Select instead a high-fiber, low sodium diet. High salt in-take can spike blood pressure and lead to unhealthy hypertension which puts our hearts at risk. Processed foods are traditionally loaded with higher sodium. When "on the go," opt for portable snacks such as fresh turkey slices, hard-boiled eggs, and air-popped popcorn instead of sodium-packed over-the-counter, grocery check-out stand items such as potato chips that make a tempting but poor health choice.
- Make this the "just say no" decade. If you haven't already done away with proven heart and overall health vices such as the overuse of alcohol and smoking, your 50's is a great time to swear off these offenders. Both not only take a toll on the cardio-vascular system, but they prematurely age and damage the liver, lung and other organs – and smoking decreases elasticity and collagen production in the skin, leading to a less youthful appearance.
Equally important to overall heart protection and overall healthy aging is to have a good sense of your cardio history. Make a commitment to assessing your personal heart health and determine if you are at risk for cardiovascular disease through a lab work-up and evaluation that includes your cholesterol information and blood pressure reading.
For more information on keeping your heart and body in prime form at age 50 and beyond, please visit www.ubiquinol.org.
CarryOn Public Relations
CarryOn Public Relations
SOURCE Kaneka Nutrients
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 26, 2017 07:00 AM EST
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and G...
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 4,272
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 6,286
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Onalytica. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 5,774
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Feb. 26, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 4,844
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Feb. 26, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 8,495
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 26, 2017 03:15 AM EST Reads: 2,027
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Feb. 26, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,760
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 2,338
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 13,723
Feb. 26, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 4,781
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 6,219
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists discussed how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations might...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 5,225
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,745
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,507