|By PR Newswire||
|March 18, 2014 08:56 PM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, March 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Viking Cruises (www.vikingcruises.com) today announced it has set a new world record with the inauguration of its newest Viking Longships™. In a multi-phased event taking place over 24 hours, the company christened 16 of its award-winning Viking Longships – nine were christened in Amsterdam; four were christened in Rostock, Germany; and three were christened in Avignon, France. The first-of-its kind ceremony was subsequently certified by a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ adjudicator as 'The Most Ships Inaugurated in One Day by One Company.' Viking already held the previous record, having christened 10 new ships in one day in 2013. Adding to the festivities, on Friday, March 21, Viking will also christen two new, unique river vessels in Porto, Portugal – bringing the total to 18 new ships launched across four countries in five days.
All of Viking's new ships will be deployed on its most popular itineraries in Europe, and 2014 marks the first year that the company's award-winning Longships will sail in France. A total of four Viking Longships will be deployed on Viking's itineraries in France, including one vessel dedicated specifically to the company's new Chateaux, Rivers & Wine itinerary in Bordeaux. Also, as a testament to the popularity of Viking's Portugal's River of Gold itinerary, the two new ships there will double the company's current capacity on the Douro River.
"Today we mark a new milestone for Viking and for modern river cruising. We are proud to celebrate the arrival of our newest ships, and it is an honor to have each one named by a prominent godmother," said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. "River cruising is the fastest-growing segment of travel, and it is in large part because of the enthusiasm of our guests and travel trade partners that we have enjoyed such success."
Recognizing the travel trade's contribution to the growth of the river cruise industry, Viking highlighted esteemed travel agent partners by naming them as ceremonial godmothers for seven of the 18 new ships. With cultural enrichment and privileged access at the heart of every experience Viking offers its guests, women representing distinct elements of travel, food, wine and entertainment were selected to honor that focus and serve as godmothers for another seven of the new ships. And in the spirit of strong business partners, Viking selected four valued representatives from the banking and shipping sectors to serve as godmothers for the additional four new ships. The full list of godmothers includes:
Amsterdam Christenings – March 17
- Mary Berry, Godmother to Viking Alsvin, is a legendary TV baker and cookbook author. She currently stars in the new series Mary Berry Cooks, which airs on BBC 2.
- Kathryn Burney-Mazza, Godmother of Viking Baldur, is the Executive Vice President of Sales for TravelSavers.
- Vicky Garcia, Godmother of Viking Magni, is the Co-Owner and Chief Operating Officer of American Express' Cruise Planners.
- Hanh Haley, Godmother of Viking Gullveig, is the partner of Travel Leaders Group Chairman Michael Batt.
- Sarah Henshall, Godmother of Viking Lif, is the Vice President of Travel & Branch Operations for AAA Carolinas.
- Geraldine Ree, Godmother of Viking Eistla, is the Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Expedia CruiseShipCenters.
- Anne Morgan Scully, Godmother of Viking Ingvi, is the President of McCabe World Travel, Virtuoso's top-producing agency.
- Ayako Ward, Godmother of Viking Delling, is a noted food and cruise travel writer and throughout her career has spent 25 years at sea, during which time she served as an interpreter and specialist in handling Japanese passengers, as well as serving as international hostess onboard the beloved ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2.
- Pam Young, Godmother of Viking Bestla, is the Vice President of Industry Relations for Travel Leaders Franchise Group.
Avignon Christenings – March 18
- Susi Barrie, Godmother of Viking Heimdal, is an award-winning author, broadcaster and wine personality, well known from BBC1's Saturday Kitchen.
- Mireille Mathieu, Godmother of Viking Buri, has sung on stages all over the world, and in duets with some of the finest singers of our time. Originally from Avignon, she is now celebrating a 50-year career. With more than 130 million albums, 1,200 songs in nine languages and 55 singles sold worldwide, Ms. Mathieu, or "Marianne de France" as she is called, is one of France's greatest artists.
- Anne Willan, Godmother of Viking Hermod, is recognized as one of the world's preeminent authorities on French cooking. She founded Ecole de Cuisine La Varenne in Paris and has had more than 50 years of experience as a teacher, author, culinary historian and food columnist. She is the author of more than 30 books, including her memoir, One Souffle at a Time: A Memoir with Recipes, which was released in 2013.
Rostock Christenings – March 18
- Marion Krase, Godmother of Viking Hlin, is a senior employee in the repair and new-building department at the Neptun Werft shipyard.
- Regula Oderbolz, Godmother of Viking Idi, is managing director at UBS AG Switzerland and heads Global Trade & Export Finance for the bank.
- Monica Petitpierre, Godmother of Viking Kvasir, is originally from the Brazilian metropolis of Sao Paolo, now lives in Switzerland and is now strongly involved with social projects in the health sector.
- Laura Pfleumer, Godmother of Viking Kara, is a corporate client assistant at UBS AG Switzerland and is responsible for the daily bank business of Viking.
Porto Christenings – March 21
- Laura Ferreira, Godmother to Viking Torgil, is the wife of Pedro Passos Coelho, the Prime Minister of Portugal, and is currently the Coordinator of the Medical and Rehabilitation Center in the Mira Sintra Educational Center for the Handicapped Citizen.
- Ana Moura, Godmother to Viking Hemming, is one of the most prestigious fadistas – or female fado singers – in Portugal. The primary subject of a 2011 article in The New York Times about the country's new fado movement, Ms. Moura is a Golden Globe® nominee and has collaborated with the Rolling Stones and Prince.
Since debuting in 2012, Viking Longships have amassed a long list of prestigious awards. They recently topped Conde Nast Traveler's annual readers' Cruise Poll for best river cruise ships – with Viking Odin specifically being named the #1 top-ranking river cruise ship – and the entire class of vessels was named "Best New River Ships of 2012" in Cruise Critic's® Editors' Picks Awards.
Viking Longships integrate a patented corridor design and cutting-edge technology with comfortable amenities that reflect guest preferences and current travel trends. These new features include a revolutionary all-weather indoor/outdoor Aquavit Terrace that reinvents the onboard lounge experience by bringing the panoramic outdoor river scenery indoors with retractable floor-to-ceiling glass doors and allows guests to enjoy the views and dine al fresco. Accommodating 190 passengers in 95 staterooms, Viking Longships have a patented layout that allows for two Explorer Suites – the largest river cruise suites in Europe – as well as seven two-room Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom; 39 Veranda Staterooms with full-size verandas; and 22 French Balcony Staterooms. Additionally, all Longships have sustainability upgrades, such as onboard solar panels and organic herb gardens, and energy-efficient hybrid engines that also reduce vibrations for a remarkably smooth ride.
Inspired by the design of the Viking Longships, the company's two new vessels in Portugal will be smaller, hosting 106 passengers in 53 staterooms, but will tout many of the same popular features as Viking Longships – including an Aquavit Terrace, a wide variety of stateroom choices, onboard solar panels and an organic herb garden, as well as Viking's signature Scandinavian design aesthetic.
The expansion of Viking's fleet comes as a response to increased traveler demand for destination-focused cruises. In addition to the new Viking Longships and new vessels in Portugal, the company's first ocean ship, the 930-passenger Viking Star, is currently under construction and will set sail in early 2015.
For more information, event images and b-roll, contact [email protected]. For booking details, contact a travel agent or call Viking toll-free at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464).
About Viking Cruises
Viking Cruises offers destination-centric river and ocean cruising designed for experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Featuring onboard cultural enrichment and included shore excursions, Viking's journeys are competitively priced for genuine value. Debuting its maiden season of ocean cruising in 2015, the sophisticated state-of-the-art Viking Star will host 930 guests on itineraries in Scandinavia and the Baltic; and the Western and Eastern Mediterranean. As the world's leading river cruise line, since its 1997 inception the company has grown to a fleet of 52 river vessels (in 2014) offering scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, Ukraine, China, and Southeast Asia. Viking has been honored multiple times in Travel + Leisure's "World's Best" Awards and Conde Nast Traveler's "Gold List" as well as recognized by the editors of Cruise Critic as "Best River Cruise Line," with the entire Viking Longships fleet being named "Best New River Ships of 2012" in the website's Editors' Picks Awards. The travel trade has ranked Viking as the "Best River Cruise Line" by Travel Weekly, Recommend and Travel Agent magazines, "Best Cruise Line for Luxury River Cruises" at the Luxury Travel Advisor Awards of Excellence and as "Best Overall Cruise Line for River Cruising" and "Best River Cruise Line for Travel Agent Support" in TravelAge West's WAVE Awards. For additional information, contact Viking Cruises at 1‑855‑8-VIKING (1‑855‑884‑5464) or visit www.vikingcruises.com. To join the Viking communities online, visit www.facebook.com/vikingcruises, www.facebook.com/vikingoceans and www.facebook.com/vikingrivercruises.
SOURCE Viking Cruises
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Aug. 4, 2015 03:48 PM EDT
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Aug. 4, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 572
Scrum Alliance has announced the release of its 2015 State of Scrum Report. Almost 5,000 individuals and companies worldwide participated in this year's survey. Most organizations in the market today are still leading and managing under an Industrial Age model. Not only is the speed of change growing exponentially, Agile and Scrum frameworks are showing companies how to draw on the full talents and capabilities of those doing the work in order to continue innovating for success.
Aug. 4, 2015 02:45 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Aug. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 384
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by your analysts and designers, and the resulting application built by your developers, there is a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral out of control, and applications fall short of requirements. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, presented a new approach where business and development users collaborate – each using tools appropriate to their goals and expertise – to build mocku...
Aug. 4, 2015 01:30 PM EDT
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
Aug. 4, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 291
SYS-CON Events announced today that VividCortex, the monitoring solution for the modern data system, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, monitor, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex is the first unified suite of database monitoring tools specifically desi...
Aug. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 112
Graylog, Inc., has added the capability to collect, centralize and analyze application container logs from within Docker. The Graylog logging driver for Docker addresses the challenges of extracting intelligence from within Docker containers, where most workloads are dynamic and log data is not persisted or stored. Using Graylog, DevOps and IT Ops teams can pinpoint the root cause of problems to deliver new applications faster and minimize downtime.
Aug. 4, 2015 11:45 AM EDT
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, provided some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the datacent...
Aug. 4, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 115
Learn how you can use the CoSN SEND II Decision Tree for Education Technology to make sure that your K–12 technology initiatives create a more engaging learning experience that empowers students, teachers, and administrators alike.
Aug. 4, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 112
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Aug. 4, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 259
In a recent research, analyst firm IDC found that the average cost of a critical application failure is $500,000 to $1 million per hour and the average total cost of unplanned application downtime is $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion per year for Fortune 1000 companies. In addition to the findings on the cost of the downtime, the research also highlighted best practices for development, testing, application support, infrastructure, and operations teams.
Aug. 4, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 225
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Aug. 3, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 705
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 3, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 549
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Partnerships at Com...
Aug. 3, 2015 03:30 PM EDT