|By PR Newswire||
|March 19, 2014 11:08 AM EDT||
WILMINGTON, Mass., March 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In today's competitive business environment, 'You are what you wear."
In the minds of consumers, employees outfitted in work clothing that's mismatched, dirty, disheveled, or just poorly made, can call into question the quality of products or services they provide.
By the same token, workers who dress in clean, attractive uniforms can have the opposite effect: customers will attribute positive impressions to the company itself, and that help the bottom line.
Studies have shown that the quality of work clothing can also have an effect on its wearers and their productivity. It's what researchers at Northwestern University refer to as "enclothed cognition."
In an interview with ABC News, Adam Galinsky, a professor of management at Northwestern who authored the "enclothed cognition" study says wearers have a tendency to "take on the (quality) characteristics of (their) clothes." Translated simply, that means if you dress in quality workwear, you'll perform your work in a quality manner.
So how can you tell if work apparel is actually made well? "The devil is in the details," says Adam Soreff, Director of Marketing for UniFirst Corporation (www.unifirst.com), a leading manufacturer and supplier of work uniforms and related services such as laundering, maintenance, mending, and program management of employee apparel programs for businesses throughout the U.S. and Canada. He continued, "You should read and compare fabric labels, and examine work clothing closely to assess overall quality."
Here are 10 tips for identifying quality uniforms and work apparel:
1. Look for fabrics made from "ring spun" fibers. Such fibers help make work apparel more durable, softer, and lighter to wear. Ring spun fibers also allow work clothing to retain its shape so wearers don't appear disheveled but, instead, project a continuous professional image.
2. Take a close look at the stitching. The tighter the stitching pattern or the number stitches per inch (SPI), is a good indicator of quality. For a quick test: grab the fabric at the seams with both hands and gently pull. The threads should hold securely.
3. Look for two-piece construction on shirt collars. Known as a "banded collar," this extra construction method adds rigidity to collars, creating a more professional appearance. When do you want one-piece construction? Think pajamas.
4. Check for triangular sewn tacks on pocket corners. Such tacks strengthen the stress points where pockets most often tear.
5. Test for sewn-in collar stays. These are almost always made of thin plastic pieces that are inserted into the tips of collars during the manufacturing process to help them retain shape and prevent curling. Lift a collar to reveal the underside and feel for the stay. Is there a nice tight pocket formed from stitching to keep it in place at the pointed collar tip? For work shirts, collar stays should be stitched down to the bottom ply of the collar to prevent shifting or fall out.
6. Examine shirt cuffs for lining. Flip the shirt cuff inside out: Is it two-ply? If so, the fabric has been folded in half and stitched together to form the outside and the lining of a quality cuff. This adds strength and a nice heft to the sleeves to help keep them comfortably in place.
7. Examine pants pockets for topstitching. Topstitches are sewn parallel to a seam or along a hem to help fabric facings stay in place and provide a crisply styled edge to pant pocket openings.
8. Look for wider belt loops and back pockets. Narrow pocket openings, especially, can be annoying while performing certain work tasks. And larger work belts will have less room to move with you, causing discomfort, and will eventually rip narrower loops.
9. Check Pant legs for ample bottom hems. Fold the bottom of the pant leg over and take a peek. How much fabric is doubled over and sewn there? A larger hem adds weight so pant legs drape better, and helps form a nicely defined hem crease.
10. Inspect fasteners. Whether buttons, snaps, Velcro®, or zippers, ensure that all fasteners on shirts and pants are sewn on securely. Button holes in well-made garments are often bound with thread for added durability; zippers should move freely up and down without hesitation.
Wearing uniforms and work apparel that meet these 10 criteria will help make more positive impressions with customers. Of course even a quality garment won't portray the right image if it's dirty, wrinkled, or in need of mending. And that's why managed uniform programs that include services like pick-up and delivery, laundering, pressing, mending, and automatic replacements are popular with companies that wish their employees to be "dressed for success."
UniFirst (NYSE: UNF), a North American leader in the supply and servicing of uniforms, workwear, and protective clothing, outfits more than 1.5 million workers each business day. The company's most popular brands include UniWeave®, SofTwill®, UniWear®, and Armorex FR®. UniFirst also offers Facility Service programs including floor mats, mops, and restroom products. For more information, contact UniFirst at 800-455-7654 or visit www.unifirst.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 23, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,415
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,172
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,981
"Peak 10 is a national cloud data center solutions managed services provider, and part of that is disaster recovery. We see a growing trend in the industry where companies are coming to us looking for assistance in their DR strategy," stated Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 23, 2017 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,058
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership abi...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,466
The essence of cloud computing is that all consumable IT resources are delivered as services. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, demonstrated the concepts and implementations of two important cloud computing deliveries: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). He discussed from business and technical viewpoints what exactly they are, why we care, how they are different and in what ways, and the strategies for IT to transi...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,656
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,704
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 886
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,892
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,313
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,099
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,255
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,645
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 23, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,287
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,937