|By PR Newswire||
|March 19, 2014 11:08 AM EDT||
WILMINGTON, Mass., March 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- In today's competitive business environment, 'You are what you wear."
In the minds of consumers, employees outfitted in work clothing that's mismatched, dirty, disheveled, or just poorly made, can call into question the quality of products or services they provide.
By the same token, workers who dress in clean, attractive uniforms can have the opposite effect: customers will attribute positive impressions to the company itself, and that help the bottom line.
Studies have shown that the quality of work clothing can also have an effect on its wearers and their productivity. It's what researchers at Northwestern University refer to as "enclothed cognition."
In an interview with ABC News, Adam Galinsky, a professor of management at Northwestern who authored the "enclothed cognition" study says wearers have a tendency to "take on the (quality) characteristics of (their) clothes." Translated simply, that means if you dress in quality workwear, you'll perform your work in a quality manner.
So how can you tell if work apparel is actually made well? "The devil is in the details," says Adam Soreff, Director of Marketing for UniFirst Corporation (www.unifirst.com), a leading manufacturer and supplier of work uniforms and related services such as laundering, maintenance, mending, and program management of employee apparel programs for businesses throughout the U.S. and Canada. He continued, "You should read and compare fabric labels, and examine work clothing closely to assess overall quality."
Here are 10 tips for identifying quality uniforms and work apparel:
1. Look for fabrics made from "ring spun" fibers. Such fibers help make work apparel more durable, softer, and lighter to wear. Ring spun fibers also allow work clothing to retain its shape so wearers don't appear disheveled but, instead, project a continuous professional image.
2. Take a close look at the stitching. The tighter the stitching pattern or the number stitches per inch (SPI), is a good indicator of quality. For a quick test: grab the fabric at the seams with both hands and gently pull. The threads should hold securely.
3. Look for two-piece construction on shirt collars. Known as a "banded collar," this extra construction method adds rigidity to collars, creating a more professional appearance. When do you want one-piece construction? Think pajamas.
4. Check for triangular sewn tacks on pocket corners. Such tacks strengthen the stress points where pockets most often tear.
5. Test for sewn-in collar stays. These are almost always made of thin plastic pieces that are inserted into the tips of collars during the manufacturing process to help them retain shape and prevent curling. Lift a collar to reveal the underside and feel for the stay. Is there a nice tight pocket formed from stitching to keep it in place at the pointed collar tip? For work shirts, collar stays should be stitched down to the bottom ply of the collar to prevent shifting or fall out.
6. Examine shirt cuffs for lining. Flip the shirt cuff inside out: Is it two-ply? If so, the fabric has been folded in half and stitched together to form the outside and the lining of a quality cuff. This adds strength and a nice heft to the sleeves to help keep them comfortably in place.
7. Examine pants pockets for topstitching. Topstitches are sewn parallel to a seam or along a hem to help fabric facings stay in place and provide a crisply styled edge to pant pocket openings.
8. Look for wider belt loops and back pockets. Narrow pocket openings, especially, can be annoying while performing certain work tasks. And larger work belts will have less room to move with you, causing discomfort, and will eventually rip narrower loops.
9. Check Pant legs for ample bottom hems. Fold the bottom of the pant leg over and take a peek. How much fabric is doubled over and sewn there? A larger hem adds weight so pant legs drape better, and helps form a nicely defined hem crease.
10. Inspect fasteners. Whether buttons, snaps, Velcro®, or zippers, ensure that all fasteners on shirts and pants are sewn on securely. Button holes in well-made garments are often bound with thread for added durability; zippers should move freely up and down without hesitation.
Wearing uniforms and work apparel that meet these 10 criteria will help make more positive impressions with customers. Of course even a quality garment won't portray the right image if it's dirty, wrinkled, or in need of mending. And that's why managed uniform programs that include services like pick-up and delivery, laundering, pressing, mending, and automatic replacements are popular with companies that wish their employees to be "dressed for success."
UniFirst (NYSE: UNF), a North American leader in the supply and servicing of uniforms, workwear, and protective clothing, outfits more than 1.5 million workers each business day. The company's most popular brands include UniWeave®, SofTwill®, UniWear®, and Armorex FR®. UniFirst also offers Facility Service programs including floor mats, mops, and restroom products. For more information, contact UniFirst at 800-455-7654 or visit www.unifirst.com.
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,196
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,533
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 25, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,824
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 25, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,871
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,050
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 25, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,885
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 459
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,058
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,721
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 872
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 946
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 25, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,193
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 25, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,123
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 25, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,130