|By Marketwired .||
|March 19, 2014 03:10 PM EDT||
MCLEAN, VA -- (Marketwired) -- 03/19/14 -- Freddie Mac (OTCQB: FMCC) released today its U.S. Economic and Housing Market Outlook for March, showing that despite rising mortgage rates and house prices, home sales will continue to increase this year as the labor market tightens and wages grow. A short preview video, and the complete March 2014 U.S. Economic and Housing Market Outlook, are available here.
- Projecting home sales to be up 3 percent in 2014, with new home construction increasing by almost 20 percent and house price appreciation moderating to an annual growth of 5 percent in 2014.
- Despite substantial progress, the labor market remains below its potential, with unemployment stubbornly high at 6.7 percent and total nonfarm payrolls below peak levels.
- In December 2007, the employment-to-population ratio was 62.7 percent. In February 2014, that ratio had declined to 58.8 percent.
- Of the 3.9 percentage point decline in the employment-to-population ratio, about 40 percent was driven by retiring baby boomers between December 2007 and February 2014.
- In February, construction employment was 5.9 million, 1.5 million less than December 2007.
- In February, annual growth in wages was at 2.5 percent, well above consumer price inflation.
Attributed to Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac vice president and chief economist.
"In order to have solid home sales in 2014 we need to see continued improvement in the labor market. Demographic headwinds have accounted for about 40 percent of the decline in the employment-to-population ratio. The remaining 60 percent is due largely to cyclical factors. Manufacturing and construction are the two sectors that have been slowest to recover. With increased economic growth these two sectors should start to improve. With more jobs, wage growth should continue to accelerate giving American households much needed income to help sustain the emerging purchase market."
Freddie Mac was established by Congress in 1970 to provide liquidity, stability and affordability to the nation's residential mortgage markets. Freddie Mac supports communities across the nation by providing mortgage capital to lenders. Today Freddie Mac is making home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. For more information please visit www.FreddieMac.com. Twitter: @FreddieMac
Dec. 3, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 780
Dec. 3, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,135
Dec. 3, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 3,918
Dec. 3, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 821
Dec. 3, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 693
Dec. 3, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 445
Dec. 3, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 700
Dec. 3, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 485
Dec. 3, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 1,354
Dec. 3, 2016 07:30 AM EST Reads: 708
Dec. 3, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 513
Dec. 3, 2016 06:30 AM EST Reads: 6,003
Dec. 3, 2016 05:45 AM EST Reads: 6,921
Dec. 3, 2016 05:30 AM EST Reads: 1,201
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it has become the most popular among the new wave of applications running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Relations at Redis Labs, shared the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Dec. 3, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 3,425