|By PR Newswire||
|March 20, 2014 04:43 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the fourth quarter of 2013.
Main highlights for the period:
Financial & Operational Highlights
- In the 2013 fiscal year, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA of $180.7 million, 28.4% higher than that of 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin in 2013 reached 28.9% compared to 23.8% in 2012.
- In 4Q13, Adjusted EBITDA was $66.5 million with an Adjusted EBITDA margin of 42.1%, compared to $68.5 million and 40.0% in 4Q12, respectively.
- The Farming and Land Transformation businesses' Adjusted EBITDA in 4Q13 was 38.5 million, 17.6% higher than 4Q12. This increase is mainly explained by: (i) higher rice yields and white rice prices; (ii) an increase in cow productivity coupled with higher milk prices in the dairy business; and (iii) the sale of the San Martin and San Agustin farms which generated a $21.3 million gain in 4Q13 compared to a $19.4 million gain in 4Q12.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA grew by 29.6%, from $68.6 million in 2012 to $88.9 million mainly driven by: (i) operational and financial performance in the dairy and rice businesses; (ii) gains generated from our commodity hedge position; and (iii) the sale of five developed farms generating $28.2 million gains in 2013 compared to $27.5 million the previous year.
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, the fourth quarter of 2013 marked the conclusion of the 2013/14 sugarcane harvest. Favorable weather during the quarter allowed our mills to increase the pace of milling, which reached a total of 1.8 million tons, marking a 28.7% growth quarter-over-quarter. Adjusted EBITDA of our Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business during 4Q13 was $35.2 million with an EBITDA margin of 33.9%, compared to $42.3 million and 43.2% in 4Q12, respectively. This reduction was mainly driven by: (i) 9.2% lower TRS content as a result of the frost which impacted the Center-South region of Brazil in mid July 2013; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices; and (iii) the commercial strategy to carry sugar and ethanol inventories into the inter-harvest season to capture higher prices, postponing sales and margins to 1Q14.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA in 2013 totaled $115.2 million, 18.2% above 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin during the period expanded to 38.8% from 36.2%. The improvement in financial performance was primarily driven by a 43.0% increase in cane milling, resulting from (i) a 16.0% expansion of our sugarcane plantation, (ii) the ramp up of the Ivinhema mill which increased our nominal crushing capacity by 2.0 million tons, and (iii) a 4.6% increase in sugarcane yields. The growth in crushing and production was partially offset by: (i) a 5.4% reduction in TRS content; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices throughout the year; and (iii) our commercial strategy to increase year-end sugar and ethanol inventories by 58.6% and 45.5% respectively, as explained above.
- Consolidated Net Income in 2013 totaled a loss of $25.8 million, compared to a $9.3 million gain in 2012. Despite the 28.5% growth in Adjusted EBITDA, the net loss is mainly explained by: (i) a $55.7 million non-cash loss generated by the mark-to-market of our long term biological assets (primarily sugarcane); (ii) a 19.0 million loss resulting from the mark-to-market of currency derivatives used to hedge future US dollar inflows generated by our forward sugar sales; (iii) a $25.9 million increase in accrued interest expenses as a result of lower interest income, and higher interest expenses resulting from an increase in oustanding debt and lower capitalization of interests related to growth projects; and (iv) a $23.6 million foreign exchange loss, generated by the impact of the depreciation of the Brazilian Reais and Argentine Peso on our outsanding dollar-denominated debt.
- Farm Sales: During the fourth quarter, Adecoagro successfully sold the San Agustin and San Martin farms. The San Agustin farm was sold for $17.5 million, representing a 19% premium over the latest Cushman and Wakefield independent appraisal. The transaction generated $14.9 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 20.3%. The San Martin farm was sold for $7.8 million, representing a 15% premium over Cushman and Wakefield. The transaction generated $6.3 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 34%.
In aggregate, during 2013 Adecoagro monetized five farms or 14.2 thousand hectares of its developed land portfolio. All farms were sold at premiums to the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 30, 2013 and generated in aggregate $59.4 million dollars of cash proceeds and $28.2 million of Adjusted EBITDA.
- Sugar, Ethanol & Energy Expansion: The construction of the first phase of the Ivinhema mill was completed during the beginning of 2013 on schedule and budget. Ivinhema's milling operations commenced on April 25, 2013, with 2.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity, generating important synergies and efficiencies with the Angelica mill.
We are currently commencing the construction of the second phase of Ivinhema, which will expand milling capacity to 5.0 million tons per year by 2015, rather than 4.0 million tons as originally planned. The enlargement of Phase 2 will allow Ivinhema to enhance operational efficiencies and economies of scale, improving operating margins and accelerating free cash flow generation.
Phase 2 will consist of expanding the milling equipment, building a new fluidized bed boiler, 2 new electrical generators and expanding the sugar factory and ethanol distillery. Annual production is expected to increase to 300,000 tons of sugar, 240,000 cubic meters of ethanol and 360,000 MWh of energy exports. Total capital expenditure is estimated at BRL 583 million.
- Share Repurchase Program: On September 23, 2013, Adecoagro announced that its Board of Directors had authorized the implementation of a share repurchase program for up to 5% of the outstanding shares over the next 12-months. As of the date of this report, Adecoagro repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares or 1.9% of shares outstanding.
To read the full 4Q13 earnings release, please access ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 4Q13 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
Mar 21, 2014
11 a.m. (US EST)
12 p.m. Buenos Aires
12 p.m. Sao Paulo
4 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,483
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,295
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 774
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,430
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,260
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,240
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,913
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,316
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 28, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,005
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,407
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,322
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,300
The pace of innovation, vendor lock-in, production sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and managing risk… In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, will discuss how CIOs are challenged finding the balance of finding the right tools, technology and operational model that serves the business the best. He will discuss how clouds, open source software and infrastructure solutions have benefits but also drawbacks and how workload and operational portability between vendors...
May. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,868
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
May. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,496
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,196