|By PR Newswire||
|March 20, 2014 04:43 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the fourth quarter of 2013.
Main highlights for the period:
Financial & Operational Highlights
- In the 2013 fiscal year, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA of $180.7 million, 28.4% higher than that of 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin in 2013 reached 28.9% compared to 23.8% in 2012.
- In 4Q13, Adjusted EBITDA was $66.5 million with an Adjusted EBITDA margin of 42.1%, compared to $68.5 million and 40.0% in 4Q12, respectively.
- The Farming and Land Transformation businesses' Adjusted EBITDA in 4Q13 was 38.5 million, 17.6% higher than 4Q12. This increase is mainly explained by: (i) higher rice yields and white rice prices; (ii) an increase in cow productivity coupled with higher milk prices in the dairy business; and (iii) the sale of the San Martin and San Agustin farms which generated a $21.3 million gain in 4Q13 compared to a $19.4 million gain in 4Q12.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA grew by 29.6%, from $68.6 million in 2012 to $88.9 million mainly driven by: (i) operational and financial performance in the dairy and rice businesses; (ii) gains generated from our commodity hedge position; and (iii) the sale of five developed farms generating $28.2 million gains in 2013 compared to $27.5 million the previous year.
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, the fourth quarter of 2013 marked the conclusion of the 2013/14 sugarcane harvest. Favorable weather during the quarter allowed our mills to increase the pace of milling, which reached a total of 1.8 million tons, marking a 28.7% growth quarter-over-quarter. Adjusted EBITDA of our Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business during 4Q13 was $35.2 million with an EBITDA margin of 33.9%, compared to $42.3 million and 43.2% in 4Q12, respectively. This reduction was mainly driven by: (i) 9.2% lower TRS content as a result of the frost which impacted the Center-South region of Brazil in mid July 2013; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices; and (iii) the commercial strategy to carry sugar and ethanol inventories into the inter-harvest season to capture higher prices, postponing sales and margins to 1Q14.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA in 2013 totaled $115.2 million, 18.2% above 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin during the period expanded to 38.8% from 36.2%. The improvement in financial performance was primarily driven by a 43.0% increase in cane milling, resulting from (i) a 16.0% expansion of our sugarcane plantation, (ii) the ramp up of the Ivinhema mill which increased our nominal crushing capacity by 2.0 million tons, and (iii) a 4.6% increase in sugarcane yields. The growth in crushing and production was partially offset by: (i) a 5.4% reduction in TRS content; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices throughout the year; and (iii) our commercial strategy to increase year-end sugar and ethanol inventories by 58.6% and 45.5% respectively, as explained above.
- Consolidated Net Income in 2013 totaled a loss of $25.8 million, compared to a $9.3 million gain in 2012. Despite the 28.5% growth in Adjusted EBITDA, the net loss is mainly explained by: (i) a $55.7 million non-cash loss generated by the mark-to-market of our long term biological assets (primarily sugarcane); (ii) a 19.0 million loss resulting from the mark-to-market of currency derivatives used to hedge future US dollar inflows generated by our forward sugar sales; (iii) a $25.9 million increase in accrued interest expenses as a result of lower interest income, and higher interest expenses resulting from an increase in oustanding debt and lower capitalization of interests related to growth projects; and (iv) a $23.6 million foreign exchange loss, generated by the impact of the depreciation of the Brazilian Reais and Argentine Peso on our outsanding dollar-denominated debt.
- Farm Sales: During the fourth quarter, Adecoagro successfully sold the San Agustin and San Martin farms. The San Agustin farm was sold for $17.5 million, representing a 19% premium over the latest Cushman and Wakefield independent appraisal. The transaction generated $14.9 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 20.3%. The San Martin farm was sold for $7.8 million, representing a 15% premium over Cushman and Wakefield. The transaction generated $6.3 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 34%.
In aggregate, during 2013 Adecoagro monetized five farms or 14.2 thousand hectares of its developed land portfolio. All farms were sold at premiums to the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 30, 2013 and generated in aggregate $59.4 million dollars of cash proceeds and $28.2 million of Adjusted EBITDA.
- Sugar, Ethanol & Energy Expansion: The construction of the first phase of the Ivinhema mill was completed during the beginning of 2013 on schedule and budget. Ivinhema's milling operations commenced on April 25, 2013, with 2.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity, generating important synergies and efficiencies with the Angelica mill.
We are currently commencing the construction of the second phase of Ivinhema, which will expand milling capacity to 5.0 million tons per year by 2015, rather than 4.0 million tons as originally planned. The enlargement of Phase 2 will allow Ivinhema to enhance operational efficiencies and economies of scale, improving operating margins and accelerating free cash flow generation.
Phase 2 will consist of expanding the milling equipment, building a new fluidized bed boiler, 2 new electrical generators and expanding the sugar factory and ethanol distillery. Annual production is expected to increase to 300,000 tons of sugar, 240,000 cubic meters of ethanol and 360,000 MWh of energy exports. Total capital expenditure is estimated at BRL 583 million.
- Share Repurchase Program: On September 23, 2013, Adecoagro announced that its Board of Directors had authorized the implementation of a share repurchase program for up to 5% of the outstanding shares over the next 12-months. As of the date of this report, Adecoagro repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares or 1.9% of shares outstanding.
To read the full 4Q13 earnings release, please access ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 4Q13 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
Mar 21, 2014
11 a.m. (US EST)
12 p.m. Buenos Aires
12 p.m. Sao Paulo
4 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,728
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 25, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 414
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 280
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 355
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 25, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,241
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 25, 2017 01:14 PM EDT Reads: 168
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 25, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,158
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain.
Apr. 25, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,509
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 25, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 925
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 25, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 876
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTred processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Apr. 25, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,701
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 25, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,796
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 25, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 294
The goal of Continuous Testing is to shift testing left to find defects earlier and release software faster. This can be achieved by integrating a set of open source functional and performance testing tools in the early stages of your software delivery lifecycle. There is one process that binds all application delivery stages together into one well-orchestrated machine: Continuous Testing. Continuous Testing is the conveyor belt between the Software Factory and production stages. Artifacts are ...
Apr. 25, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,050
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 25, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,813