|By PR Newswire||
|March 20, 2014 04:43 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the fourth quarter of 2013.
Main highlights for the period:
Financial & Operational Highlights
- In the 2013 fiscal year, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA of $180.7 million, 28.4% higher than that of 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin in 2013 reached 28.9% compared to 23.8% in 2012.
- In 4Q13, Adjusted EBITDA was $66.5 million with an Adjusted EBITDA margin of 42.1%, compared to $68.5 million and 40.0% in 4Q12, respectively.
- The Farming and Land Transformation businesses' Adjusted EBITDA in 4Q13 was 38.5 million, 17.6% higher than 4Q12. This increase is mainly explained by: (i) higher rice yields and white rice prices; (ii) an increase in cow productivity coupled with higher milk prices in the dairy business; and (iii) the sale of the San Martin and San Agustin farms which generated a $21.3 million gain in 4Q13 compared to a $19.4 million gain in 4Q12.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA grew by 29.6%, from $68.6 million in 2012 to $88.9 million mainly driven by: (i) operational and financial performance in the dairy and rice businesses; (ii) gains generated from our commodity hedge position; and (iii) the sale of five developed farms generating $28.2 million gains in 2013 compared to $27.5 million the previous year.
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, the fourth quarter of 2013 marked the conclusion of the 2013/14 sugarcane harvest. Favorable weather during the quarter allowed our mills to increase the pace of milling, which reached a total of 1.8 million tons, marking a 28.7% growth quarter-over-quarter. Adjusted EBITDA of our Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business during 4Q13 was $35.2 million with an EBITDA margin of 33.9%, compared to $42.3 million and 43.2% in 4Q12, respectively. This reduction was mainly driven by: (i) 9.2% lower TRS content as a result of the frost which impacted the Center-South region of Brazil in mid July 2013; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices; and (iii) the commercial strategy to carry sugar and ethanol inventories into the inter-harvest season to capture higher prices, postponing sales and margins to 1Q14.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA in 2013 totaled $115.2 million, 18.2% above 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin during the period expanded to 38.8% from 36.2%. The improvement in financial performance was primarily driven by a 43.0% increase in cane milling, resulting from (i) a 16.0% expansion of our sugarcane plantation, (ii) the ramp up of the Ivinhema mill which increased our nominal crushing capacity by 2.0 million tons, and (iii) a 4.6% increase in sugarcane yields. The growth in crushing and production was partially offset by: (i) a 5.4% reduction in TRS content; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices throughout the year; and (iii) our commercial strategy to increase year-end sugar and ethanol inventories by 58.6% and 45.5% respectively, as explained above.
- Consolidated Net Income in 2013 totaled a loss of $25.8 million, compared to a $9.3 million gain in 2012. Despite the 28.5% growth in Adjusted EBITDA, the net loss is mainly explained by: (i) a $55.7 million non-cash loss generated by the mark-to-market of our long term biological assets (primarily sugarcane); (ii) a 19.0 million loss resulting from the mark-to-market of currency derivatives used to hedge future US dollar inflows generated by our forward sugar sales; (iii) a $25.9 million increase in accrued interest expenses as a result of lower interest income, and higher interest expenses resulting from an increase in oustanding debt and lower capitalization of interests related to growth projects; and (iv) a $23.6 million foreign exchange loss, generated by the impact of the depreciation of the Brazilian Reais and Argentine Peso on our outsanding dollar-denominated debt.
- Farm Sales: During the fourth quarter, Adecoagro successfully sold the San Agustin and San Martin farms. The San Agustin farm was sold for $17.5 million, representing a 19% premium over the latest Cushman and Wakefield independent appraisal. The transaction generated $14.9 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 20.3%. The San Martin farm was sold for $7.8 million, representing a 15% premium over Cushman and Wakefield. The transaction generated $6.3 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 34%.
In aggregate, during 2013 Adecoagro monetized five farms or 14.2 thousand hectares of its developed land portfolio. All farms were sold at premiums to the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 30, 2013 and generated in aggregate $59.4 million dollars of cash proceeds and $28.2 million of Adjusted EBITDA.
- Sugar, Ethanol & Energy Expansion: The construction of the first phase of the Ivinhema mill was completed during the beginning of 2013 on schedule and budget. Ivinhema's milling operations commenced on April 25, 2013, with 2.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity, generating important synergies and efficiencies with the Angelica mill.
We are currently commencing the construction of the second phase of Ivinhema, which will expand milling capacity to 5.0 million tons per year by 2015, rather than 4.0 million tons as originally planned. The enlargement of Phase 2 will allow Ivinhema to enhance operational efficiencies and economies of scale, improving operating margins and accelerating free cash flow generation.
Phase 2 will consist of expanding the milling equipment, building a new fluidized bed boiler, 2 new electrical generators and expanding the sugar factory and ethanol distillery. Annual production is expected to increase to 300,000 tons of sugar, 240,000 cubic meters of ethanol and 360,000 MWh of energy exports. Total capital expenditure is estimated at BRL 583 million.
- Share Repurchase Program: On September 23, 2013, Adecoagro announced that its Board of Directors had authorized the implementation of a share repurchase program for up to 5% of the outstanding shares over the next 12-months. As of the date of this report, Adecoagro repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares or 1.9% of shares outstanding.
To read the full 4Q13 earnings release, please access ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 4Q13 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
Mar 21, 2014
11 a.m. (US EST)
12 p.m. Buenos Aires
12 p.m. Sao Paulo
4 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 404
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 163
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 144
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 460
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Nov. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 538
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 27, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 535
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 309
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 383
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 396
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 305
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 490
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 27, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 216
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 27, 2015 09:15 AM EST Reads: 288
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Nov. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EST Reads: 376
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 27, 2015 07:45 AM EST Reads: 422