|By PR Newswire||
|March 21, 2014 08:47 AM EDT||
MEMPHIS, Tenn., March 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As the nation recovers from the polar vortex and looks ahead to warmer weather, many homeowners are engaging in spring cleaning to spruce up their homes. Terminix®, the world's largest pest control provider, offers some simple tips to help reduce activity from the most common pests emerging in the months to come.
- Water from rain gutters should be directed away from the home and not be allowed to accumulate close to the foundation.
- Mosquitoes that bite in a person's yard are usually breeding nearby on the property or adjacent properties. Regularly empty standing water found in outdoor pots, saucers, barrels and "kiddie pools." Empty and refill birdbaths at least once a week.
- Switch outdoor lighting from mercury vapor lamps to sodium vapor lamps to attract fewer mosquitoes. Mercury vapor lights can be used to light areas and help to lure insects away from the house at night.
- Use a mesh screen on all windows, doors and ventilation openings. Screening will help prevent winged termites, mosquitoes and other flying insects from entering the home.
- Clean counters and floors regularly to eliminate food scraps that attract ants and cockroaches, and put away food in sealed containers. Do not allow pet food to sit out overnight.
- Pay extra attention to under appliances and sinks, as these areas are particularly vulnerable to cockroach infestations.
- Springtime is when many homeowners start leaving their pets outside more often, where they can unknowingly pick up pests such as fleas and ticks. In the event that they are brought into the home, fleas and ticks can hide in carpet fibers, furniture and crevices year-round. Vacuum regularly to combat these disease-carrying pests.
Basements, Garages and Attics
- Fix roof or plumbing leaks. The moisture from these allows termites to survive above ground.
- Ensure the attics and/or crawl spaces have sufficient ventilation. Research shows that proper ventilation creates an environment unsuitable for cockroaches and other pests.
- Avoid using plants like roses, shrubs and fruit trees that are prone to aphids and similar insects, which ants use as a primary food source. Layers of mulch and heavy vegetative ground covers hold the moisture needed by ants to thrive.
- Keep grass mowed, weeds pulled and leaf litter managed to deter fleas and ticks. Also trim tree branches and shrubs around the lawn edge to allow more sunlight penetration.
- Eliminate wood-to-soil contact. Any wood that simultaneously touches the soil and the home can provide termites with direct access to the structure. This includes keeping firewood or other wood debris from being stacked against the side of the home.
- Use soil to fill in low areas in lawns and landscaped sections where rainwater may accumulate and stand for more than seven days, which is all the time a mosquito needs to breed.
- Install an agitator in garden ponds or buy fish that eat mosquito larvae. The wave actions created by an agitator discourage female mosquitoes from laying eggs.
Terminix® is the world's largest pest control provider. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., Terminix services approximately 3 million residential and commercial customers in 47 states and 14 countries. Terminix provides pest control services and protection against termites, rodents and other pests threatening human health and/or safety. Terminix is a business unit of The ServiceMaster Company, LLC, one of the world's largest residential and commercial service networks. The company's brands include Terminix, American Home Shield®, ServiceMaster Clean®, Merry Maids®, Furniture Medic® and AmeriSpec®. To learn more about Terminix, visit www.Terminix.com.
With a global network of more than 7,000 company-owned, franchise and licensed locations, Memphis-based The ServiceMaster Company, LLC, is one of the world's largest residential and commercial service networks. The company's high-profile brands are Terminix®, American Home Shield®, ServiceMaster Clean®, Merry Maids®, Furniture Medic® and AmeriSpec®. Through approximately 13,000 corporate associates and a franchise network that independently employs an estimated 33,000 additional people, the ServiceMaster family of brands provided services and products to approximately 5 million customers during the last 12 months. The company's market-leading brands provide a range of residential and commercial services including termite and pest control; home warranties and preventative maintenance contracts; furniture repair; home inspections; home cleaning; janitorial services; and disaster restoration. Go to www.servicemaster.com for more information about ServiceMaster or follow the company at twitter.com/ServiceMaster or facebook.com/TheServiceMasterCo.
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 275
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,742
New Relic, Inc. has announced a set of new features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud that offer IT operations teams increased visibility, and the ability to diagnose and resolve performance problems quickly. The new features further IT operations teams’ ability to leverage data and analytics, as well as drive collaboration and a common, shared understanding between teams. Software teams are under pressure to resolve performance issues quickly and improve availability, as the comple...
Apr. 29, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,399
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, will draw upon their own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He will also discuss the implementation of microservices in data and applicat...
Apr. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,691
See storage differently! Storage performance problems have only gotten worse and harder to solve as applications have become largely virtualized and moved to a cloud-based infrastructure. Storage performance in a virtualized environment is not just about IOPS, it is about how well that potential performance is guaranteed to individual VMs for these apps as the number of VMs keep going up real time. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in product and marketing at Tintri, will discu...
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 626
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,771
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,602
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
As you respond to increasing requests for new analytics, you need fast and flexible technology in your arsenal so that you can deploy the right workload to the right platform for the need at hand. Do you need self-service and fast time to value? Do you have data and application control and privacy needs, along with strict SLAs to meet? IBM dashDB™ is data warehouse technology powered by in-memory computing and in-database analytics that are designed for fast results, scalability and more.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,539
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 851
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 852
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,405
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,409