|By PR Newswire||
|March 23, 2014 07:17 AM EDT||
LONDON, March 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Lord Ashcroft Europe poll:
- Britain evenly divided on EU membership; 1 in 5 don't know
- 62% think other countries get more out of EU than Britain does
- Voters doubt Cameron will win better terms in renegotiation
Voters are evenly split over whether or not Britain should remain in the EU, according to new research from Lord Ashcroft. Nearly two thirds (62%) believe other countries seem to get more out of EU membership than Britain does, and voters are more likely to think the costs of membership outweigh the benefits (49%) than the reverse (31%).
The findings are published today in Europe on Trial, a report by Lord Ashcroft based on a poll of more than 20,000 people. He also held a discussion event involving 80 members of the public representing a cross-section of opinion towards Britain's relationship with Europe.
The research found:
- 41% think Britain should remain a member of the EU; 41% think we should leave. 18% said "don't know".
- 62% believe other countries get more out of EU membership than Britain does; only 23% think Britain seems to benefit at least as much as other EU members.
- More people think the costs of EU membership outweigh the benefits (49%) than that the benefits outweigh the costs (31%).
- Only 20% say they have confidence that David Cameron will be able to renegotiate a better deal for Britain within the EU; 72% do not. Of those who lack confidence, 51% doubt other countries will be prepared to make concessions however well Cameron argues; 26% doubt his ability as a negotiator; and 23% think he wants Britain to remain in the EU regardless.
- Just under seven in ten (69%) would rather live in Britain than anywhere else in Europe. Nearly one in five UKIP voters (19%) say they would rather live in another European country than in Britain.
- Voters are evenly divided over whether leaving the EU would damage trade between the UK and other EU countries (43%) or whether we would be able to do just as much trade with them as we do now (42%).
- People are slightly more likely to think being an EU member gives Britain more influence when dealing with China and the USA (40%) than less (31%) - but nearly three in ten (29%) don't know.
The research identified five segments of opinion towards Britain and the EU:
Committed Hostility (19% of the population): 95% say Britain should leave the EU; 86% say immigration is one of the three most important issues facing the country; 58% think UKIP would do the best job of managing Britain's relationship with Europe.
Discontented Sceptics (27% of the population): 88% think the costs of EU membership outweigh the benefits but only 68% want to leave; most likely to say the Conservatives would do the best job of managing relations with Europe but few are confident that Cameron's renegotiation will succeed.
Relaxed Status Quo (26% of the population): do not rate defending Britain's interests in Europe as one of the most important issues facing the country; two thirds think the benefits of membership outweigh the costs; 83% say Britain should stay in the EU.
Global Progressives (12% of the population): positive about EU membership; the only segment among whom a majority (86%) think Britain gets as much out of the EU as other countries do; younger, professional, more public sector workers and Labour voters.
Disengaged (15% of the population): younger, less likely to vote; 82% say they do not know if costs of membership outweigh benefits; 61% do not know whether Britain should remain an EU member.
In his introduction to the Europe on Trial report, Lord Ashcroft says:
"Those who say the whole country is clamouring for a referendum are wrong. Some, certainly, think it is the greatest question of our time. But even among the most hostile voters, only a third put Europe among the most crucial issues facing the country, and only a quarter think it important to them and their families. That is why Cameron's 'negotiate and decide' policy will please some voters but won't win the election all by itself.
"More to the point, many people say they don't know enough to make such a fundamental choice about Britain's future. Two thirds think what happens in the European Parliament matters to Britain, but three quarters have hardly a clue what goes on there. They do not feel in a position to decide.
"Part of the problem is that sceptics think the EU appeals most to a remote and privileged few, while many pro-Europeans think their opponents are narrow-minded and jingoistic. To everyone else, it seems a noisy argument in which facts are hard to come by and most of the participants seem more than a bit bonkers."
Lord Ashcroft concludes:
"For now, the sceptics are making the running. But my polling shows people will want to be reassured about our prospects outside the EU before making the leap - and that the better-off-outers in particular need to take care not to sound too batty.
"The pro side, meanwhile, seem hesitant about their case. Fear of the unknown is their greatest ally, but many voters want to hear more than a defensive message that Britain can't survive alone."
Notes to Editors
- Europe on Trial is available to download at http://www.LordAshcroftPolls.com, along with the full poll results and details of all Lord Ashcroft's research.
- 20,058 adults were interviewed online between 7 and 20 January 2014. Results were weighted to be representative of the population of Great Britain.
- A deliberative research event involving 80 members of the public representing a cross-section of opinion towards Britain and the EU was held in London on 6 March 2014.
- Lord Ashcroft KCMG PC is an international businessman, author and philanthropist. He is founder and Chairman of the Board of Crimestoppers, a member of the Board of the Imperial War Museum, Chairman of the Trustees of Ashcroft Technology Academy, Chancellor of Anglia Ruskin University and Treasurer of the International Democrat Union. From 2005 to 2010 he was Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party.
- His political books and research papers include Smell The Coffee (2005), Minority Verdict, What Future For Labour?, What Future For The Liberal Democrats? (2010), Crime, Punishment & The People, Project Blueprint, The Leadership Factor (2011), Degrees of Separation, The Armed Forces & Society, Blue Collar Tories, Project Red Alert, They're Thinking What We're Thinking: Understanding The UKIP Temptation (2012), What Are The Liberal Democrats For?, Marginal Territory, Are You Serious: Boris, The Tories And The Voters; Small Island: Public Opinion And The Politics Of Immigration (2013); and Cameron's Caledonian Conundrum (2013).
- You can follow Lord Ashcroft on Twitter: @LordAshcroft.
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 30, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,033
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 30, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,235
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,520
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,384
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,415
Providing the needed data for application development and testing is a huge headache for most organizations. The problems are often the same across companies - speed, quality, cost, and control. Provisioning data can take days or weeks, every time a refresh is required. Using dummy data leads to quality problems. Creating physical copies of large data sets and sending them to distributed teams of developers eats up expensive storage and bandwidth resources. And, all of these copies proliferating...
Mar. 30, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 6,764
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 30, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,425
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorageCraft Technology Corp, a global leader in backup and disaster, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The StorageCraft family of companies, founded in 2003, provides award-winning backup, disaster recovery, system migration and data protection solutions for servers, desktops and laptops in addition to powerful data analytics.
Mar. 30, 2017 03:17 PM EDT Reads: 287
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 30, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,101
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,504
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,051
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,030
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Mar. 30, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,038
HyperConvergence came to market with the objective of being simple, flexible and to help drive down operating expenses. It reduced the footprint by bundling the compute/storage/network into one box. This brought a new set of challenges as the HyperConverged vendors are very focused on their own proprietary building blocks. If you want to scale in a certain way, let’s say you identified a need for more storage and want to add a device that is not sold by the HyperConverged vendor, forget about it...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:58 PM EDT Reads: 254
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost ...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 643