|By PR Newswire||
|March 25, 2014 11:06 AM EDT||
BOSTON, March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Massachusetts consumers, businesses and government agencies continued to benefit from Verizon's 2013 investment of more than $400 million including the additional construction of new fiber optics, now reaching more than 18,000 miles in the Bay State, enough to go more than halfway around the world.
And there is much more to come as Verizon continues to invest heavily in Massachusetts, building the world's most technologically advanced network of voice, data and video communications that will help continue to grow the economy in the Bay State.
"Verizon's investment in Massachusetts in recent years has been unprecedented," said Allison G. Cole, Verizon's New England region president of consumer and mass markets. "In the past five years our company has invested more than $2 billion in Massachusetts. No company has done more. Massachusetts is a leader in technology, education and healthcare, and the new state-of-the-art Verizon wireless and fiber-optic networks play a huge role in that.
"The technology sector continues to be an engine that is driving the Massachusetts economy, and it relies heavily upon advanced communications networks like Verizon's 4G LTE and fiber optic networks to spur economic development in Massachusetts," said Cole.
Last year, Verizon invested approximately $412 million in Massachusetts and deployed more fiber-optic cables and equipment, now totaling more than 18,000 miles. Major initiatives in 2013 in Massachusetts included:
- Expansion of Verizon's award-winning 100 percent FiOS voice, Internet and TV services to two more communities -- Medford and Raynham -- bringing competition and cable choice to residents and businesses in those communities. FiOS voice, Internet and TV services are now available to more than 1 million Massachusetts homes and businesses in 113 cities and towns.
- Installed 3,120 solar panels at its data center at 41 Alexander Rd. in Billerica. The panels cover about two acres of land and will save about 1.5 million kilowatt hours annually. The energy conservation project removes about 1,025 metric tons of carbon dioxide a year. That's equivalent to avoiding the carbon dioxide emissions of 214 cars annually. The project will save Verizon about $175,000 in energy costs annually.
- Improved phone service for thousands of Massachusetts residential and small-business customers who had repeat repair issues by upgrading their service from copper to the company's advanced, all-fiber infrastructure. Nationwide, Verizon now serves more landline customers on its all-fiber infrastructure than on its legacy copper network. Fiber is less susceptible than copper to moisture and water damage and offers a better overall service experience.
"Verizon's advanced networks enable commerce to thrive, businesses to open new markets, students to learn and parents to stay in touch with their children," said Cole. "Our new networks have removed traditional technological boundaries, empowering people and businesses to connect however, whenever and wherever they want. This 'borderless lifestyle' brings great benefits to our customers, employees, suppliers and communities."
Consumers, Small Businesses Take Quantum Leap for Innovative Services
Verizon's major wireline infrastructure programs in 2013 also included:
- Enhancing the FiOS Bandwidth Effect, which enables consumers and small businesses to harness huge amounts of broadband.
- FiOS Quantum, with speeds up to 500 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up, is America's fastest Internet. Other Quantum speeds include 300/65 Mbps, 150/65 Mbps, 75/35 Mbps and 50/25 Mbps. All Quantum tiers offer upload speeds that rival or exceed most download speeds offered by competitors.
- The ultra-fast speed delivers technology that gives people the best way to stream videos, conduct video chats and use multiple Internet devices simultaneously, among other bandwidth-intensive applications.
- Multi-player gaming advantages, with tremendous speed versus competitors.
- Delivering FiOS TV anytime, anywhere on a variety of devices:
- The FiOS Mobile App allows customers to manage their Verizon account and their life – wherever they are – on a variety of Internet-connected devices. Best of all, they can watch up to 31 channels outside the home and 91 channels inside the home, depending upon their TV package.
- FiOS TV Online, offering 71 channels over a broadband-connected PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Advanced, interactive search and navigational experience.
- Multi-Room DVR.
- Advanced, interactive TV Apps.
- Industry-leading 70,000-plus FiOS On Demand video titles customers can rent or own, plus premium on-demand content packages with sports, movie and international programming.
- Comprehensive choice including month-to-month plans and multiyear bundles.
- In-Home Agent application for automated self-service.
- Advanced, FiOS Digital Voice home phone service.
Enterprise Business Solutions Tailored to Meet Client Needs
Verizon Enterprise Solutions oversees all of Verizon's solutions for large-business, wholesale and government customers in Massachusetts and globally, including a portfolio of cloud and IT, enterprise mobility, security and advanced communications offerings. Its key client segments include healthcare, manufacturing and automotive, financial services and large government agencies. In 2013, Verizon:
- Acquired EdgeCast and the assets of upLynk to further the company's delivery of media and entertainment services. These acquisitions enable Verizon to enhance delivery of end-to-end video solutions for best-in-class TV Everywhere and superior experiences to customers such as studios, broadcasters, retailers and enterprises that seek high-performance digital experiences across all devices.
- Announced its next-generation public cloud platform, Verizon Cloud. Verizon Cloud offers large enterprises, mid-size companies and small development shops the agility and economic benefit of a generic public cloud along with the reliability and scale of an enterprise-level service with unprecedented control of performance and security. Verizon Cloud is currently in beta.
- Launched Converged Health Management, a remote patient-monitoring medical platform designed to help clinicians and patients manage patients' health in between doctor visits. Verizon's newest solution addresses the day-to-day communications gap that has historically existed between patients and clinicians.
- Introduced Managed Wireless ATM, a fully managed, wireless automated teller machine solution that banks can deploy to their remote ATMs, at events or for business continuity planning.
- Rolled out "In Drive" service in conjunction with insurance companies. In Drive, developed by Verizon Telematics, offers drivers an opportunity to save money on auto insurance, based on their driving habits.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 103 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries. A Dow 30 company with more than $120 billion in 2013 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 176,800. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at Verizon's online News Center at newscenter.verizon.com. The news releases are available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit newscenter.verizon.com/corporate/feeds.
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 218
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:00 AM EST Reads: 427
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 12, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 338
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 400
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 273
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 PM EST Reads: 226
Data-as-a-Service is the complete package for the transformation of raw data into meaningful data assets and the delivery of those data assets. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lakshmi Randall, an industry expert, analyst and strategist, will address: What is DaaS (Data-as-a-Service)? Challenges addressed by DaaS Vendors that are enabling DaaS Architecture options for DaaS
Feb. 11, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 363
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 11, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 122
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 11, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 219
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 11, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 392
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:30 PM EST
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 181
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 11, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 414
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 11, 2016 03:00 PM EST