|By PR Newswire||
|March 25, 2014 06:30 PM EDT||
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- During a presentation at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference, cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today previewed the forthcoming version of its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, showcasing a range of features that will let artists, animators and designers create the most realistic renders possible using a more efficient workflow on their workstations or in the cloud. OTOY also announced application support for Adobe After Effects, demonstrating the ability to import a complete 3D scene into the After Effects timeline which can then be edited in real-time. OctaneRender™ 2.0 builds on the incredible performance of previous versions, harnessing NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to dramatically accelerate rendering time. All of OTOY's technologies including OctaneRender™ are on display at the GPU Technology Conference at the OTOY booth, #512 in the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.
"As a long-time effects artist, it's my job to recreate reality through creative computer-generated rendering for some of the most well-known television programs and feature films. OctaneRender is one tool that continues to make my life much easier. It has been an integral part of the work I've created for projects such as Boardwalk Empire, Star Trek Into Darkness, and the upcoming Godzilla film, allowing me to spend more time refining my work and less time waiting for renders. Incredible quality and phenomenal speed define OctaneRender. I am excited to see how the program improves from here," said Steve Messing, Visual Effects Art Director.
"As an effects artist and supervisor who's worked on some of the biggest live action and animated film franchises, I've had the opportunity to use a wide variety of tools and technologies to bring creative visions to life. OctaneRender is without a doubt one of the most advanced render engines I've ever seen. It really feels we are finally nearing the point in time where the technology keeps up with the artist instead of being a creative bottleneck. The result is more iteration time, better images, and happier artists. We put OctaneRender through its paces for Space Station 76 to great effect, and I look forward to getting my hands on the bells and whistles included in the new version to see how the best got better," said Billy Brooks, Visual Effects Supervisor, Space Station 76, which premiered at the 2014 SXSW Film Festival.
"OctaneRender is the centerpiece of a suite of OTOY rendering technologies that epitomizes exacting realism and unparalleled performance," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "OctaneRender 2.0 will build on those pillars, harnessing NVIDIA GPUs both client-side and in the cloud to deliver even more accurate renderings in real-time through new features and workflow improvements that are a direct response to the artists, designers, and engineers who use the product every day."
"OctaneRender, coupled with the power of NVIDIA GPUs and the CUDA programming model, has proven to deliver exceptional results," said Andrew Cresci, General Manager, Manufacturing Industries, NVIDIA. "Using these tools, artists with demanding visualization needs can keep up with their increasingly complex and compute-heavy workloads."
OctaneRender™ 2.0 will include new features such as:
- Displacement mapping – Used to give objects depth and detail, displacement mapping allows the height of points on a surface to be adjusted based on an image value.
- Object motion blur – The blurring effect that simulates motion of inanimate objects in a rendered scene will be supported and can be applied independently of the camera movement.
- Hair and fur – An optimized hair render primitive is now available to allow rendering of hair or fur while reducing memory usage by 20 times compared to previous processes. OctaneRender™ 2.0 will also simulate the distribution and fluidity of movement of those primitives.
- OpenSubDiv surfaces – Pixar's powerful library for fast refinement of subdivision surfaces using the capabilities of graphics processors will be integrated within OctaneRender™. This useful technique in animation will conveniently be integrated into OctaneRender™'s user interface, allowing subdivision surface refinement specifically based on Pixar's OpenSubDiv implementation.
- Rounded edges – Artists will have the ability to easily and efficiently round the sharp edges of geometric objects without modifying and reloading the geometry. The process is done during rendering by special shader algorithms that recalculate normals near the sharp edges and corners to make them appear smooth allowing for the tuning of edge sharpness in real-time throughout rendering.
- Random color texture for instances – Useful for easily modifying the colors of instances which otherwise have the same material.
- Improved sky rendering – Using HDRI + Sun, OctaneRender™ 2.0 will enable the use of textures as sky backgrounds, and ensure that objects in the scene accurately reflect the loaded sky texture.
- Node folder structure – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will facilitate a cleaner, more organized workspace with a new folder structure that allows users to create packages of nodes, node graphs, and node trees, and organize them in folders along with thumbnails for easy identification.
- Region rendering – To save time on test renders, this feature will allow users to specify a region in the scene and partially preview rendered results in real-time.
- Network rendering – The rendering process can be made faster than ever by leveraging remote GPUs on render slaves connected via the network.
- Support for new display types – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will support new presets that can be used to render scenes directly for new display types including VR devices such as the Oculus Rift.
- Compatibility with Brigade – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will further expand its integration with Brigade, OTOY's cloud rendering technology for photorealistic next-generation games. Within Brigade, users will be able to open scenes created in OctaneRender™ and walk through those scenes in real-time over the cloud.
The Adobe After Effects plugin is expected to be released in the second half of 2014. To follow along with OctaneRender™ 2.0's progress, continue watching the OTOY blog at http://render.otoy.com/newsblog/.
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- Get screenshots of OctaneRender™ 2.0 in action here.
- Read about the new features introduced in the release of OctaneRender™ 1.5 here.
- For a demo of OTOY's technologies, visit the OTOY booth #512 at the GPU Technology Conference, March 24th to 27th at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, or arrange a meeting by contacting us here.
- Check out OTOY's panels at the GPU Technology Conference here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,086
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,053
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,034
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,254
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,213
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,138
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 982
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 452
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,877
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 482
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 772
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,362
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,509
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,113
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,123