|By PR Newswire||
|March 25, 2014 06:30 PM EDT||
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- During a presentation at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference, cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today previewed the forthcoming version of its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, showcasing a range of features that will let artists, animators and designers create the most realistic renders possible using a more efficient workflow on their workstations or in the cloud. OTOY also announced application support for Adobe After Effects, demonstrating the ability to import a complete 3D scene into the After Effects timeline which can then be edited in real-time. OctaneRender™ 2.0 builds on the incredible performance of previous versions, harnessing NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to dramatically accelerate rendering time. All of OTOY's technologies including OctaneRender™ are on display at the GPU Technology Conference at the OTOY booth, #512 in the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.
"As a long-time effects artist, it's my job to recreate reality through creative computer-generated rendering for some of the most well-known television programs and feature films. OctaneRender is one tool that continues to make my life much easier. It has been an integral part of the work I've created for projects such as Boardwalk Empire, Star Trek Into Darkness, and the upcoming Godzilla film, allowing me to spend more time refining my work and less time waiting for renders. Incredible quality and phenomenal speed define OctaneRender. I am excited to see how the program improves from here," said Steve Messing, Visual Effects Art Director.
"As an effects artist and supervisor who's worked on some of the biggest live action and animated film franchises, I've had the opportunity to use a wide variety of tools and technologies to bring creative visions to life. OctaneRender is without a doubt one of the most advanced render engines I've ever seen. It really feels we are finally nearing the point in time where the technology keeps up with the artist instead of being a creative bottleneck. The result is more iteration time, better images, and happier artists. We put OctaneRender through its paces for Space Station 76 to great effect, and I look forward to getting my hands on the bells and whistles included in the new version to see how the best got better," said Billy Brooks, Visual Effects Supervisor, Space Station 76, which premiered at the 2014 SXSW Film Festival.
"OctaneRender is the centerpiece of a suite of OTOY rendering technologies that epitomizes exacting realism and unparalleled performance," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "OctaneRender 2.0 will build on those pillars, harnessing NVIDIA GPUs both client-side and in the cloud to deliver even more accurate renderings in real-time through new features and workflow improvements that are a direct response to the artists, designers, and engineers who use the product every day."
"OctaneRender, coupled with the power of NVIDIA GPUs and the CUDA programming model, has proven to deliver exceptional results," said Andrew Cresci, General Manager, Manufacturing Industries, NVIDIA. "Using these tools, artists with demanding visualization needs can keep up with their increasingly complex and compute-heavy workloads."
OctaneRender™ 2.0 will include new features such as:
- Displacement mapping – Used to give objects depth and detail, displacement mapping allows the height of points on a surface to be adjusted based on an image value.
- Object motion blur – The blurring effect that simulates motion of inanimate objects in a rendered scene will be supported and can be applied independently of the camera movement.
- Hair and fur – An optimized hair render primitive is now available to allow rendering of hair or fur while reducing memory usage by 20 times compared to previous processes. OctaneRender™ 2.0 will also simulate the distribution and fluidity of movement of those primitives.
- OpenSubDiv surfaces – Pixar's powerful library for fast refinement of subdivision surfaces using the capabilities of graphics processors will be integrated within OctaneRender™. This useful technique in animation will conveniently be integrated into OctaneRender™'s user interface, allowing subdivision surface refinement specifically based on Pixar's OpenSubDiv implementation.
- Rounded edges – Artists will have the ability to easily and efficiently round the sharp edges of geometric objects without modifying and reloading the geometry. The process is done during rendering by special shader algorithms that recalculate normals near the sharp edges and corners to make them appear smooth allowing for the tuning of edge sharpness in real-time throughout rendering.
- Random color texture for instances – Useful for easily modifying the colors of instances which otherwise have the same material.
- Improved sky rendering – Using HDRI + Sun, OctaneRender™ 2.0 will enable the use of textures as sky backgrounds, and ensure that objects in the scene accurately reflect the loaded sky texture.
- Node folder structure – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will facilitate a cleaner, more organized workspace with a new folder structure that allows users to create packages of nodes, node graphs, and node trees, and organize them in folders along with thumbnails for easy identification.
- Region rendering – To save time on test renders, this feature will allow users to specify a region in the scene and partially preview rendered results in real-time.
- Network rendering – The rendering process can be made faster than ever by leveraging remote GPUs on render slaves connected via the network.
- Support for new display types – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will support new presets that can be used to render scenes directly for new display types including VR devices such as the Oculus Rift.
- Compatibility with Brigade – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will further expand its integration with Brigade, OTOY's cloud rendering technology for photorealistic next-generation games. Within Brigade, users will be able to open scenes created in OctaneRender™ and walk through those scenes in real-time over the cloud.
The Adobe After Effects plugin is expected to be released in the second half of 2014. To follow along with OctaneRender™ 2.0's progress, continue watching the OTOY blog at http://render.otoy.com/newsblog/.
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- Get screenshots of OctaneRender™ 2.0 in action here.
- Read about the new features introduced in the release of OctaneRender™ 1.5 here.
- For a demo of OTOY's technologies, visit the OTOY booth #512 at the GPU Technology Conference, March 24th to 27th at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, or arrange a meeting by contacting us here.
- Check out OTOY's panels at the GPU Technology Conference here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,811
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,577
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,399
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,693
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 25, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,486
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 916
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,600
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,238
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 25, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,529
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Sep. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,770
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,523
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,623