|By PR Newswire||
|March 25, 2014 06:30 PM EDT||
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- During a presentation at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference, cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today previewed the forthcoming version of its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, showcasing a range of features that will let artists, animators and designers create the most realistic renders possible using a more efficient workflow on their workstations or in the cloud. OTOY also announced application support for Adobe After Effects, demonstrating the ability to import a complete 3D scene into the After Effects timeline which can then be edited in real-time. OctaneRender™ 2.0 builds on the incredible performance of previous versions, harnessing NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to dramatically accelerate rendering time. All of OTOY's technologies including OctaneRender™ are on display at the GPU Technology Conference at the OTOY booth, #512 in the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.
"As a long-time effects artist, it's my job to recreate reality through creative computer-generated rendering for some of the most well-known television programs and feature films. OctaneRender is one tool that continues to make my life much easier. It has been an integral part of the work I've created for projects such as Boardwalk Empire, Star Trek Into Darkness, and the upcoming Godzilla film, allowing me to spend more time refining my work and less time waiting for renders. Incredible quality and phenomenal speed define OctaneRender. I am excited to see how the program improves from here," said Steve Messing, Visual Effects Art Director.
"As an effects artist and supervisor who's worked on some of the biggest live action and animated film franchises, I've had the opportunity to use a wide variety of tools and technologies to bring creative visions to life. OctaneRender is without a doubt one of the most advanced render engines I've ever seen. It really feels we are finally nearing the point in time where the technology keeps up with the artist instead of being a creative bottleneck. The result is more iteration time, better images, and happier artists. We put OctaneRender through its paces for Space Station 76 to great effect, and I look forward to getting my hands on the bells and whistles included in the new version to see how the best got better," said Billy Brooks, Visual Effects Supervisor, Space Station 76, which premiered at the 2014 SXSW Film Festival.
"OctaneRender is the centerpiece of a suite of OTOY rendering technologies that epitomizes exacting realism and unparalleled performance," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "OctaneRender 2.0 will build on those pillars, harnessing NVIDIA GPUs both client-side and in the cloud to deliver even more accurate renderings in real-time through new features and workflow improvements that are a direct response to the artists, designers, and engineers who use the product every day."
"OctaneRender, coupled with the power of NVIDIA GPUs and the CUDA programming model, has proven to deliver exceptional results," said Andrew Cresci, General Manager, Manufacturing Industries, NVIDIA. "Using these tools, artists with demanding visualization needs can keep up with their increasingly complex and compute-heavy workloads."
OctaneRender™ 2.0 will include new features such as:
- Displacement mapping – Used to give objects depth and detail, displacement mapping allows the height of points on a surface to be adjusted based on an image value.
- Object motion blur – The blurring effect that simulates motion of inanimate objects in a rendered scene will be supported and can be applied independently of the camera movement.
- Hair and fur – An optimized hair render primitive is now available to allow rendering of hair or fur while reducing memory usage by 20 times compared to previous processes. OctaneRender™ 2.0 will also simulate the distribution and fluidity of movement of those primitives.
- OpenSubDiv surfaces – Pixar's powerful library for fast refinement of subdivision surfaces using the capabilities of graphics processors will be integrated within OctaneRender™. This useful technique in animation will conveniently be integrated into OctaneRender™'s user interface, allowing subdivision surface refinement specifically based on Pixar's OpenSubDiv implementation.
- Rounded edges – Artists will have the ability to easily and efficiently round the sharp edges of geometric objects without modifying and reloading the geometry. The process is done during rendering by special shader algorithms that recalculate normals near the sharp edges and corners to make them appear smooth allowing for the tuning of edge sharpness in real-time throughout rendering.
- Random color texture for instances – Useful for easily modifying the colors of instances which otherwise have the same material.
- Improved sky rendering – Using HDRI + Sun, OctaneRender™ 2.0 will enable the use of textures as sky backgrounds, and ensure that objects in the scene accurately reflect the loaded sky texture.
- Node folder structure – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will facilitate a cleaner, more organized workspace with a new folder structure that allows users to create packages of nodes, node graphs, and node trees, and organize them in folders along with thumbnails for easy identification.
- Region rendering – To save time on test renders, this feature will allow users to specify a region in the scene and partially preview rendered results in real-time.
- Network rendering – The rendering process can be made faster than ever by leveraging remote GPUs on render slaves connected via the network.
- Support for new display types – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will support new presets that can be used to render scenes directly for new display types including VR devices such as the Oculus Rift.
- Compatibility with Brigade – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will further expand its integration with Brigade, OTOY's cloud rendering technology for photorealistic next-generation games. Within Brigade, users will be able to open scenes created in OctaneRender™ and walk through those scenes in real-time over the cloud.
The Adobe After Effects plugin is expected to be released in the second half of 2014. To follow along with OctaneRender™ 2.0's progress, continue watching the OTOY blog at http://render.otoy.com/newsblog/.
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- Get screenshots of OctaneRender™ 2.0 in action here.
- Read about the new features introduced in the release of OctaneRender™ 1.5 here.
- For a demo of OTOY's technologies, visit the OTOY booth #512 at the GPU Technology Conference, March 24th to 27th at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, or arrange a meeting by contacting us here.
- Check out OTOY's panels at the GPU Technology Conference here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
ElasticBox, the agile application delivery manager, announced freely available public boxes for the DevOps community. ElasticBox works with enterprises to help them deploy any application to any cloud. Public boxes are curated reference boxes that represent some of the most popular applications and tools for orchestrating deployments at scale. Boxes are an adaptive way to represent reusable infrastructure as components of code. Boxes contain scripts, variables, and metadata to automate proces...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 128
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 268
To support developers and operations professionals in their push to implement DevOps principles for their infrastructure environments, ProfitBricks, a provider of cloud infrastructure, is adding support for DevOps tools Ansible and Chef. Ansible is a platform for configuring and managing data center infrastructure that combines multi-node software deployment, ad hoc task execution, and configuration management, and is used by DevOps professionals as they use its playbooks functionality to autom...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 123
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 4, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,628
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Sep. 4, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 540
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Sep. 4, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 587
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 384
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 447
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 313
Puppet Labs is pleased to share the findings from our 2015 State of DevOps Survey. We have deepened our understanding of how DevOps enables IT performance and organizational performance, based on responses from more than 20,000 technical professionals we’ve surveyed over the past four years. The 2015 State of DevOps Report reveals high-performing IT organizations deploy 30x more frequently with 200x shorter lead times. They have 60x fewer failures and recover 168x faster
Sep. 3, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 124
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small,...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 199
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 491
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and e...
Sep. 3, 2015 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 168
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Sep. 3, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 367
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Sep. 3, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 547