|By PR Newswire||
|March 25, 2014 06:30 PM EDT||
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- During a presentation at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference, cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today previewed the forthcoming version of its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, showcasing a range of features that will let artists, animators and designers create the most realistic renders possible using a more efficient workflow on their workstations or in the cloud. OTOY also announced application support for Adobe After Effects, demonstrating the ability to import a complete 3D scene into the After Effects timeline which can then be edited in real-time. OctaneRender™ 2.0 builds on the incredible performance of previous versions, harnessing NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to dramatically accelerate rendering time. All of OTOY's technologies including OctaneRender™ are on display at the GPU Technology Conference at the OTOY booth, #512 in the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.
"As a long-time effects artist, it's my job to recreate reality through creative computer-generated rendering for some of the most well-known television programs and feature films. OctaneRender is one tool that continues to make my life much easier. It has been an integral part of the work I've created for projects such as Boardwalk Empire, Star Trek Into Darkness, and the upcoming Godzilla film, allowing me to spend more time refining my work and less time waiting for renders. Incredible quality and phenomenal speed define OctaneRender. I am excited to see how the program improves from here," said Steve Messing, Visual Effects Art Director.
"As an effects artist and supervisor who's worked on some of the biggest live action and animated film franchises, I've had the opportunity to use a wide variety of tools and technologies to bring creative visions to life. OctaneRender is without a doubt one of the most advanced render engines I've ever seen. It really feels we are finally nearing the point in time where the technology keeps up with the artist instead of being a creative bottleneck. The result is more iteration time, better images, and happier artists. We put OctaneRender through its paces for Space Station 76 to great effect, and I look forward to getting my hands on the bells and whistles included in the new version to see how the best got better," said Billy Brooks, Visual Effects Supervisor, Space Station 76, which premiered at the 2014 SXSW Film Festival.
"OctaneRender is the centerpiece of a suite of OTOY rendering technologies that epitomizes exacting realism and unparalleled performance," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "OctaneRender 2.0 will build on those pillars, harnessing NVIDIA GPUs both client-side and in the cloud to deliver even more accurate renderings in real-time through new features and workflow improvements that are a direct response to the artists, designers, and engineers who use the product every day."
"OctaneRender, coupled with the power of NVIDIA GPUs and the CUDA programming model, has proven to deliver exceptional results," said Andrew Cresci, General Manager, Manufacturing Industries, NVIDIA. "Using these tools, artists with demanding visualization needs can keep up with their increasingly complex and compute-heavy workloads."
OctaneRender™ 2.0 will include new features such as:
- Displacement mapping – Used to give objects depth and detail, displacement mapping allows the height of points on a surface to be adjusted based on an image value.
- Object motion blur – The blurring effect that simulates motion of inanimate objects in a rendered scene will be supported and can be applied independently of the camera movement.
- Hair and fur – An optimized hair render primitive is now available to allow rendering of hair or fur while reducing memory usage by 20 times compared to previous processes. OctaneRender™ 2.0 will also simulate the distribution and fluidity of movement of those primitives.
- OpenSubDiv surfaces – Pixar's powerful library for fast refinement of subdivision surfaces using the capabilities of graphics processors will be integrated within OctaneRender™. This useful technique in animation will conveniently be integrated into OctaneRender™'s user interface, allowing subdivision surface refinement specifically based on Pixar's OpenSubDiv implementation.
- Rounded edges – Artists will have the ability to easily and efficiently round the sharp edges of geometric objects without modifying and reloading the geometry. The process is done during rendering by special shader algorithms that recalculate normals near the sharp edges and corners to make them appear smooth allowing for the tuning of edge sharpness in real-time throughout rendering.
- Random color texture for instances – Useful for easily modifying the colors of instances which otherwise have the same material.
- Improved sky rendering – Using HDRI + Sun, OctaneRender™ 2.0 will enable the use of textures as sky backgrounds, and ensure that objects in the scene accurately reflect the loaded sky texture.
- Node folder structure – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will facilitate a cleaner, more organized workspace with a new folder structure that allows users to create packages of nodes, node graphs, and node trees, and organize them in folders along with thumbnails for easy identification.
- Region rendering – To save time on test renders, this feature will allow users to specify a region in the scene and partially preview rendered results in real-time.
- Network rendering – The rendering process can be made faster than ever by leveraging remote GPUs on render slaves connected via the network.
- Support for new display types – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will support new presets that can be used to render scenes directly for new display types including VR devices such as the Oculus Rift.
- Compatibility with Brigade – OctaneRender™ 2.0 will further expand its integration with Brigade, OTOY's cloud rendering technology for photorealistic next-generation games. Within Brigade, users will be able to open scenes created in OctaneRender™ and walk through those scenes in real-time over the cloud.
The Adobe After Effects plugin is expected to be released in the second half of 2014. To follow along with OctaneRender™ 2.0's progress, continue watching the OTOY blog at http://render.otoy.com/newsblog/.
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- Get screenshots of OctaneRender™ 2.0 in action here.
- Read about the new features introduced in the release of OctaneRender™ 1.5 here.
- For a demo of OTOY's technologies, visit the OTOY booth #512 at the GPU Technology Conference, March 24th to 27th at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, or arrange a meeting by contacting us here.
- Check out OTOY's panels at the GPU Technology Conference here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,750
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,074
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,061
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 282
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,573
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,075
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,162
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,624
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,233
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:31 PM EDT Reads: 182
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,598
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,180
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,116
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,674
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,469