|By PR Newswire||
|March 26, 2014 07:15 AM EDT||
PRINCETON, N.J., March 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Soligenix, Inc. (OTCQB: SNGX) (Soligenix or the Company), a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing products to treat serious inflammatory diseases where there remains an unmet medical need, as well as developing several biodefense vaccines and therapeutics, announced today its financial results for the year ended December 31, 2013.
Soligenix's revenues for the year ended were $3.2 million as compared to $3.1 million for the prior year. Revenues included the initiation of contracts with the US Department of Health and Human Service's Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) during the fourth quarter of this year in support of OrbeShield™ (oral beclomethasone 17,21-dipropionate or BDP) development in the treatment of gastrointestinal acute radiation syndrome (GI ARS).
Soligenix's net loss was $10.1 million, or $0.65 per share, as compared to $4.2 million, or $0.37 per share, for the year ended December 31, 2013 and 2012, respectively. Included in the net loss for the year ended December 31, 2013 is a non-cash charge of $3.7 million, or $0.24 per share, due to the change in fair value of the liability related to warrants issued in the Company's June 25, 2013 registered public offering as well as a $1.5 million non-cash charge related to the exclusive worldwide collaboration with Intrexon Corporation.
Research and development expenses were $5.1 million as compared to $2.6 million for the year ended December 31, 2013 and 2012, respectively. Included in the 2013 year end expenses is a $1.5 million non-cash charge related to the collaboration with Intrexon Corporation and costs related to a number of development programs including SGX942 in the treatment of oral mucositis, SGX203 in the treatment of pediatric Crohn's disease, and orBec® in the treatment of chronic gastrointestinal Graft-versus-Host disease (GI GVHD).
General and administrative expenses were $2.8 million as compared to $2.6 million for the year ended December 31, 2013 and 2012, respectively. This increase is primarily related to non-cash expenses for stock based compensation from stock options issued during the year.
For the year ended December 31, 2013, other net income/expense includes a $3.7 million, or $0.24 per share, non-cash charge related to the change in fair value of the liability for warrants issued in the Company's June 25, 2013 registered public offering.
As of December 31, 2013, the Company's cash position was $5.9 million.
Christopher J. Schaber, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer of Soligenix stated, "During the year we have made significant progress in both our BioTherapeutics and Vaccine/BioDefense business segments while extending our cash runway through the completion of a common stock offering which attracted new institutional investors, including an affiliated fund of Third Security, LLC, as well as through multi-year government grant and contract awards totaling up to approximately $32 million. We have advanced our development pipeline with the initiation of two Phase 2 clinical trials. The first with SGX942 in the treatment of oral mucositis in head and neck cancer, and the second with orBec® in the treatment of chronic GI GVHD. We have also expanded our pipeline through a worldwide exclusive collaboration with Intrexon Corporation that will focus on the joint development of a treatment for Melioidosis, a high priority biothreat and an area of unmet medical need."
Dr. Schaber continued, "We are very pleased with our success during 2013 and are focused on continuing to increase shareholder value through advancing our programs and pursuing opportunities in both of our business segments. I look forward to providing updates throughout the year and into 2015."
Soligenix's Key Highlights:
- On February 14, 2014, the Company announced the award by NIAID of a one year $300,000 Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant to support further preclinical development of SGX943 as a treatment for melioidosis. This award will allow the Company to conduct studies in collaboration with Tulane University.
- On January 16, 2014, the Company announced it received approximately $750,000, net of transaction costs, in non-dilutive funding via the State of New Jersey's Technology Business Tax Certificate Transfer Program.
- On January 15, 2014, the Company announced significant steps forward in the development of ThermoVax™, its proprietary vaccine thermostabilization platform technology. Recent studies have demonstrated the potential for heat-sensitive vaccines formulated using this technology to withstand temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) for up to one year. The underlying work has been conducted with the Company's proprietary ricin toxin vaccine (RiVax™) as part of a continuing program to evaluate the effectiveness of protein subunit vaccines to withstand extremes of temperature and other environmental stress conditions. These studies amplify and extend former evaluations that indicated retention of potency for at least six months at temperatures as high as 40 degrees Celsius, outside the range of typical vaccine storage conditions. The research and development of ThermoVax™ is currently being supported by a $9.4 million NIAID grant for biodefense vaccines to prevent ricin toxin and anthrax exposure.
- On January 6, 2014, the Company announced that it had appointed Richard Straube, MD, as its Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Straube is a board-certified pediatrician with clinical research experience in host-response modulation. He has had a long and distinguished career of more than 35 years in both academia and industry, most notably with Centocor, Ohmeda Pharmaceuticals, INO Therapeutics, and Stealth Peptides, Inc. Dr. Straube will lead Soligenix's clinical research with primary responsibility for the execution and completion of its multiple clinical programs, including its Phase 2 study in oral mucositis and its Phase 2/3 study in pediatric Crohn's disease.
- On December 5, 2013, the Company announced that it had initiated a Phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating SGX942, a first-in-class innate defense regulator (IDR), as a treatment for oral mucositis in patients undergoing chemoradiation therapy for head and neck cancer. This Phase 2 study is a multicenter trial focused on patients with tumors of the mouth and oropharynx who often experience debilitating oral mucositis as a consequence of tumor treatment with intensity modulated radiation and chemotherapy. The primary efficacy will be assessed on the basis of the incidence and duration of both ulcerative and severe oral mucositis throughout the course of radiation treatment.
- On December 2, 2013, the Company announced that it had initiated a Phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating orBec® (oral BDP) as a treatment for the gastrointestinal (GI) manifestations of chronic Graft-versus-Host disease (GVHD). This Phase 2 study is a multicenter, pilot study enrolling patients that have received allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation at least 100 days earlier, have documented chronic GVHD in at least one organ outside the GI tract, and have a mucosal biopsy consistent with GI GVHD. The primary efficacy objective of the study is to estimate the proportion of subjects with chronic GVHD with GI involvement who achieve a complete response, partial response or minimal response of GI GVHD signs and symptoms when treated with orBec® for up to 16 weeks. The study is partially funded by a National Cancer Institute (NCI) SBIR grant award of approximately $300,000.
- On November 21, 2013, the Company announced that it signed a stock purchase agreement with Lincoln Park Capital Fund, LLC, providing an initial investment in Soligenix of $600,000 and the availability of additional periodic investments at the Company's sole discretion of up to $10.0 million over a 36 month term.
About Soligenix, Inc.
Soligenix is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing products to treat serious inflammatory diseases where there remains an unmet medical need, as well as developing several biodefense vaccines and therapeutics. Soligenix is developing proprietary formulations of oral BDP (beclomethasone 17,21-dipropionate) for the prevention/treatment of gastrointestinal disorders characterized by severe inflammation, including pediatric Crohn's disease (SGX203), acute radiation enteritis (SGX201) and chronic Graft-versus-Host disease (orBec®), as well as developing its novel innate defense regulator (IDR) technology SGX942 for the treatment of oral mucositis.
Through its BioDefense Division, Soligenix is developing countermeasures pursuant to the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) Strategic Plan of 2011-2016 for inclusion in the US government's Strategic National Stockpile. Soligenix's biodefense products in development are a recombinant subunit vaccine called RiVax™, which is designed to protect against the lethal effects of exposure to ricin toxin and VeloThrax™, a vaccine against anthrax exposure. RiVax™ has been shown to be well tolerated and immunogenic in two Phase 1 clinical trials in healthy volunteers. Both RiVax™ and VeloThrax™ are currently the subject of a $9.4 million National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) grant supporting development of Soligenix's new vaccine heat stabilization technology known as ThermoVax™. Soligenix is also developing OrbeShield™ for the treatment of gastrointestinal acute radiation syndrome (GI ARS) under a BARDA contract award valued up to $26.3 million and a NIAID contract award valued up to $6.4 million. OrbeShield™ has previously demonstrated statistically significant preclinical survival results in a canine model of GI ARS funded by the NIAID. Additionally, Soligenix has an exclusive worldwide collaboration with Intrexon Corporation (NYSE: XON) focused on the joint development of a treatment for Melioidosis, a high priority biothreat and an area of unmet medical need.
For further information regarding Soligenix, Inc., please visit the Company's website at www.soligenix.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that reflect Soligenix, Inc.'s current expectations about its future results, performance, prospects and opportunities, including but not limited to, potential market sizes, patient populations and clinical trial enrollment. Statements that are not historical facts, such as "anticipates," "estimates," "believes," "intends," "potential," or similar expressions, are forward-looking statements. These statements are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual events or results in future periods to differ materially from what is expressed in, or implied by, these statements. Soligenix cannot assure you that it will be able to successfully develop, achieve regulatory approval for or commercialize products based on its technologies, particularly in light of the significant uncertainty inherent in developing vaccines against bioterror threats conducting preclinical and clinical trials of vaccines, obtaining regulatory approvals and manufacturing vaccines, that product development and commercialization efforts will not be reduced or discontinued due to difficulties or delays in clinical trials or due to lack of progress or positive results from research and development efforts, that it will be able to successfully obtain any further funding to support product development and commercialization efforts, including grants and awards, maintain its existing grants which are subject to performance requirements, enter into any biodefense procurement contracts with the US Government or other countries, that it will be able to compete with larger and better financed competitors in the biotechnology industry, that changes in health care practice, third party reimbursement limitations and Federal and/or state health care reform initiatives will not negatively affect its business, or that the US Congress may not pass any legislation that would provide additional funding for the Project BioShield program. These and other risk factors are described from time to time in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, Soligenix's reports on Forms 10-Q and 10-K. Unless required by law, Soligenix assumes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements as a result of new information or future events.
SOURCE Soligenix, Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 12, 2016 06:00 PM EST Reads: 401
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 12, 2016 06:00 PM EST
When building large, cloud-based applications that operate at a high scale, it’s important to maintain a high availability and resilience to failures. In order to do that, you must be tolerant of failures, even in light of failures in other areas of your application. “Fly two mistakes high” is an old adage in the radio control airplane hobby. It means, fly high enough so that if you make a mistake, you can continue flying with room to still make mistakes. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee...
Feb. 12, 2016 04:45 PM EST
DevOps is not just last year’s buzzword. Companies with DevOps practices are 2.5x more likely to exceed profitability, market share, and productivity goals. But how do you enable high performance? What can you do right now to start? Find out from DevOps experts including Gene Kim, co-author of "The Phoenix Project," and the Dynatrace Center of Excellence.
Feb. 12, 2016 04:30 PM EST
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 12, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 189
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Feb. 12, 2016 04:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 12, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 425
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 12, 2016 03:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 449
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Feb. 12, 2016 02:15 PM EST
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 12, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 230
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 12, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 229
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 263
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 108
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 12, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 499