|By Marketwired .||
|March 27, 2014 10:42 AM EDT||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 03/27/14 -- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced more than $11 million in additional funding to help meet widespread humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic (CAR).
"Canada remains profoundly concerned by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the Central African Republic," said Minister Paradis. "The humanitarian situation has deteriorated at an alarming rate, violence has devastated many parts of the country since early 2013, and hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced. Canada will provide additional humanitarian assistance to trusted partners working on the ground to help them address the urgent needs and save lives."
The Government of Canada is providing support to key partners such as the United Nations World Food Programme, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, and UNICEF, to address the needs of those most affected by the inter-communal violence, looting, destruction of housing and property, displacement, and grave human rights abuses.
- The United Nations is estimating that 2.5 million people-more than half of the Central African Republic's population-are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
- Over the course of 2013, Canada provided close to $7 million in humanitarian assistance to those affected by the crisis in CAR. This amount more than doubled the total Canadian humanitarian assistance provided to those affected in that country in 2012.
- In 2013, Canada was the sixth-largest humanitarian country donor responding to the needs in CAR.
- On February 11, 2014, Canada's Minister of International Development and La Francophonie announced $5 million in new humanitarian assistance to address urgent needs in CAR.
February 11, 2014, Announcement of additional humanitarian assistance from Canada to CAR
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_DEV
Canada Providing Additional Humanitarian Assistance to the Central African Republic
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced additional funding to address the urgent humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic.
The funding in humanitarian assistance initiatives, totalling more than $11 million, will be allocated in the following way:
1. Action Against Hunger ($1 million) - Through this project, Action Against Hunger will improve the health and nutritional status of malnourished children in Bangui and surrounding areas through: -- screening 174,000 children under five years old for malnutrition; -- treating 6,120 children suffering from severe acute malnutrition; -- treating 8,000 children under five years old suffering from malaria; and -- providing medical and nutritional supplies, equipment, and health- worker training for 15 health centres. 2. Food and Agriculture Organization ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved food security for 60,000 vulnerable people through the provision of: -- equipment and training for vulnerable women to carry out agricultural income-generating activities; -- seeds, tools and small livestock to vulnerable households; and -- agricultural and nutritional training to enhance farming skills and diversify nutritional food consumption. 3. International Committee of the Red Cross ($3 million) - Canada's support will contribute to meeting the health, food security, water and sanitation, and protection needs of conflict-affected people through the provision of: -- safe drinking water and sanitation facilities for up to 530,000 people; -- food rations for up to 25,000 people; -- emergency shelter and basic household items for up to 12,500 people; -- seeds, tools and assistance to herder households benefiting up to 49,850 vulnerable farmers; -- medical supplies, equipment, vaccinations, and medical training enabling three health facilities to provide primary and secondary health care; -- protection services for survivors of sexual violence and reunification support to reunite minors with their families; and -- representations to armed groups regarding misconduct against civilians. 4. Doctors Without Borders ($3 million) - Through this project, Doctors Without Borders will address the urgent health needs of up to 181,000 people in the Ouham region through the provision of: -- primary and secondary emergency health care; -- basic immunizations for children; -- treatment for children with malnutrition; and -- support to epidemiological surveillance to monitor and control disease outbreaks. 5. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs ($350,000) - Canada's support will contribute to providing the following throughout the Central African Republic: -- improved coordination of humanitarian agencies to ensure an effective and needs-based humanitarian response; -- improved communications tools and increased surge capacity of clusters in areas of high humanitarian need; -- effective support to humanitarian agencies in security analysis and civil-military relations; and -- management of joint funding mechanisms to respond to evolving humanitarian priorities. 6. UNICEF ($1.5 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved health, water and sanitation services, access to essential household items, and child protection services for more than 2.2 million vulnerable people in the Central African Republic through the: -- treatment of 16,800 children under five years old with severe acute malnutrition; -- vaccination of 739,000 children against measles; -- provision of safe, reliable water to 650,000 people; -- improvement of sanitation services for 150,000 displaced people; -- reunification of 1,200 children, formerly associated with armed groups, with their families; -- provision of comprehensive services to 2,000 survivors of sexual violence; and -- provision of antimalarial bed nets to 744,000 children and pregnant women. 7. United Nations World Food Programme ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to the provision of food and nutrition assistance to more than 1.25 million persons affected by conflict in the Central African Republic through: -- general food distribution; -- blanket and targeted supplementary feeding for children under five years old, as well as pregnant and lactating women; and -- emergency school feeding. 8. World Food Programme-United Nations Humanitarian Air Service ($500,000) - Canada's support will contribute to ensuring that humanitarian efforts reach beneficiaries through the provision of: -- safe and reliable passenger air service for more than 65 humanitarian organizations and donor agencies to 27 locations in the country; -- transportation of light cargo (e.g. medicines) for humanitarian agencies; and -- timely medical and security evacuations for humanitarian staff.
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,308
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,573
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,050
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,633
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,025
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,961
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,449
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 625
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 728
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,438
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,285
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,539
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,040