|By Marketwired .||
|March 27, 2014 10:42 AM EDT||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 03/27/14 -- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced more than $11 million in additional funding to help meet widespread humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic (CAR).
"Canada remains profoundly concerned by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the Central African Republic," said Minister Paradis. "The humanitarian situation has deteriorated at an alarming rate, violence has devastated many parts of the country since early 2013, and hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced. Canada will provide additional humanitarian assistance to trusted partners working on the ground to help them address the urgent needs and save lives."
The Government of Canada is providing support to key partners such as the United Nations World Food Programme, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, and UNICEF, to address the needs of those most affected by the inter-communal violence, looting, destruction of housing and property, displacement, and grave human rights abuses.
- The United Nations is estimating that 2.5 million people-more than half of the Central African Republic's population-are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
- Over the course of 2013, Canada provided close to $7 million in humanitarian assistance to those affected by the crisis in CAR. This amount more than doubled the total Canadian humanitarian assistance provided to those affected in that country in 2012.
- In 2013, Canada was the sixth-largest humanitarian country donor responding to the needs in CAR.
- On February 11, 2014, Canada's Minister of International Development and La Francophonie announced $5 million in new humanitarian assistance to address urgent needs in CAR.
February 11, 2014, Announcement of additional humanitarian assistance from Canada to CAR
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_DEV
Canada Providing Additional Humanitarian Assistance to the Central African Republic
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced additional funding to address the urgent humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic.
The funding in humanitarian assistance initiatives, totalling more than $11 million, will be allocated in the following way:
1. Action Against Hunger ($1 million) - Through this project, Action Against Hunger will improve the health and nutritional status of malnourished children in Bangui and surrounding areas through: -- screening 174,000 children under five years old for malnutrition; -- treating 6,120 children suffering from severe acute malnutrition; -- treating 8,000 children under five years old suffering from malaria; and -- providing medical and nutritional supplies, equipment, and health- worker training for 15 health centres. 2. Food and Agriculture Organization ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved food security for 60,000 vulnerable people through the provision of: -- equipment and training for vulnerable women to carry out agricultural income-generating activities; -- seeds, tools and small livestock to vulnerable households; and -- agricultural and nutritional training to enhance farming skills and diversify nutritional food consumption. 3. International Committee of the Red Cross ($3 million) - Canada's support will contribute to meeting the health, food security, water and sanitation, and protection needs of conflict-affected people through the provision of: -- safe drinking water and sanitation facilities for up to 530,000 people; -- food rations for up to 25,000 people; -- emergency shelter and basic household items for up to 12,500 people; -- seeds, tools and assistance to herder households benefiting up to 49,850 vulnerable farmers; -- medical supplies, equipment, vaccinations, and medical training enabling three health facilities to provide primary and secondary health care; -- protection services for survivors of sexual violence and reunification support to reunite minors with their families; and -- representations to armed groups regarding misconduct against civilians. 4. Doctors Without Borders ($3 million) - Through this project, Doctors Without Borders will address the urgent health needs of up to 181,000 people in the Ouham region through the provision of: -- primary and secondary emergency health care; -- basic immunizations for children; -- treatment for children with malnutrition; and -- support to epidemiological surveillance to monitor and control disease outbreaks. 5. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs ($350,000) - Canada's support will contribute to providing the following throughout the Central African Republic: -- improved coordination of humanitarian agencies to ensure an effective and needs-based humanitarian response; -- improved communications tools and increased surge capacity of clusters in areas of high humanitarian need; -- effective support to humanitarian agencies in security analysis and civil-military relations; and -- management of joint funding mechanisms to respond to evolving humanitarian priorities. 6. UNICEF ($1.5 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved health, water and sanitation services, access to essential household items, and child protection services for more than 2.2 million vulnerable people in the Central African Republic through the: -- treatment of 16,800 children under five years old with severe acute malnutrition; -- vaccination of 739,000 children against measles; -- provision of safe, reliable water to 650,000 people; -- improvement of sanitation services for 150,000 displaced people; -- reunification of 1,200 children, formerly associated with armed groups, with their families; -- provision of comprehensive services to 2,000 survivors of sexual violence; and -- provision of antimalarial bed nets to 744,000 children and pregnant women. 7. United Nations World Food Programme ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to the provision of food and nutrition assistance to more than 1.25 million persons affected by conflict in the Central African Republic through: -- general food distribution; -- blanket and targeted supplementary feeding for children under five years old, as well as pregnant and lactating women; and -- emergency school feeding. 8. World Food Programme-United Nations Humanitarian Air Service ($500,000) - Canada's support will contribute to ensuring that humanitarian efforts reach beneficiaries through the provision of: -- safe and reliable passenger air service for more than 65 humanitarian organizations and donor agencies to 27 locations in the country; -- transportation of light cargo (e.g. medicines) for humanitarian agencies; and -- timely medical and security evacuations for humanitarian staff.
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 16, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,527
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 16, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 5,206
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,579
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:35 PM EST Reads: 152
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 3,292
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,010
In a recent research, analyst firm IDC found that the average cost of a critical application failure is $500,000 to $1 million per hour and the average total cost of unplanned application downtime is $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion per year for Fortune 1000 companies. In addition to the findings on the cost of the downtime, the research also highlighted best practices for development, testing, application support, infrastructure, and operations teams.
Jan. 16, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,611
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 293
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,340
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 814
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 5,445
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 4,991
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,390
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 16, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,359
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 16, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 5,663