|By Marketwired .||
|March 27, 2014 10:42 AM EDT||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 03/27/14 -- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced more than $11 million in additional funding to help meet widespread humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic (CAR).
"Canada remains profoundly concerned by the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the Central African Republic," said Minister Paradis. "The humanitarian situation has deteriorated at an alarming rate, violence has devastated many parts of the country since early 2013, and hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced. Canada will provide additional humanitarian assistance to trusted partners working on the ground to help them address the urgent needs and save lives."
The Government of Canada is providing support to key partners such as the United Nations World Food Programme, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, and UNICEF, to address the needs of those most affected by the inter-communal violence, looting, destruction of housing and property, displacement, and grave human rights abuses.
- The United Nations is estimating that 2.5 million people-more than half of the Central African Republic's population-are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
- Over the course of 2013, Canada provided close to $7 million in humanitarian assistance to those affected by the crisis in CAR. This amount more than doubled the total Canadian humanitarian assistance provided to those affected in that country in 2012.
- In 2013, Canada was the sixth-largest humanitarian country donor responding to the needs in CAR.
- On February 11, 2014, Canada's Minister of International Development and La Francophonie announced $5 million in new humanitarian assistance to address urgent needs in CAR.
February 11, 2014, Announcement of additional humanitarian assistance from Canada to CAR
Follow us on Twitter: @DFATD_DEV
Canada Providing Additional Humanitarian Assistance to the Central African Republic
The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today announced additional funding to address the urgent humanitarian needs in the Central African Republic.
The funding in humanitarian assistance initiatives, totalling more than $11 million, will be allocated in the following way:
1. Action Against Hunger ($1 million) - Through this project, Action Against Hunger will improve the health and nutritional status of malnourished children in Bangui and surrounding areas through: -- screening 174,000 children under five years old for malnutrition; -- treating 6,120 children suffering from severe acute malnutrition; -- treating 8,000 children under five years old suffering from malaria; and -- providing medical and nutritional supplies, equipment, and health- worker training for 15 health centres. 2. Food and Agriculture Organization ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved food security for 60,000 vulnerable people through the provision of: -- equipment and training for vulnerable women to carry out agricultural income-generating activities; -- seeds, tools and small livestock to vulnerable households; and -- agricultural and nutritional training to enhance farming skills and diversify nutritional food consumption. 3. International Committee of the Red Cross ($3 million) - Canada's support will contribute to meeting the health, food security, water and sanitation, and protection needs of conflict-affected people through the provision of: -- safe drinking water and sanitation facilities for up to 530,000 people; -- food rations for up to 25,000 people; -- emergency shelter and basic household items for up to 12,500 people; -- seeds, tools and assistance to herder households benefiting up to 49,850 vulnerable farmers; -- medical supplies, equipment, vaccinations, and medical training enabling three health facilities to provide primary and secondary health care; -- protection services for survivors of sexual violence and reunification support to reunite minors with their families; and -- representations to armed groups regarding misconduct against civilians. 4. Doctors Without Borders ($3 million) - Through this project, Doctors Without Borders will address the urgent health needs of up to 181,000 people in the Ouham region through the provision of: -- primary and secondary emergency health care; -- basic immunizations for children; -- treatment for children with malnutrition; and -- support to epidemiological surveillance to monitor and control disease outbreaks. 5. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs ($350,000) - Canada's support will contribute to providing the following throughout the Central African Republic: -- improved coordination of humanitarian agencies to ensure an effective and needs-based humanitarian response; -- improved communications tools and increased surge capacity of clusters in areas of high humanitarian need; -- effective support to humanitarian agencies in security analysis and civil-military relations; and -- management of joint funding mechanisms to respond to evolving humanitarian priorities. 6. UNICEF ($1.5 million) - Canada's support will contribute to improved health, water and sanitation services, access to essential household items, and child protection services for more than 2.2 million vulnerable people in the Central African Republic through the: -- treatment of 16,800 children under five years old with severe acute malnutrition; -- vaccination of 739,000 children against measles; -- provision of safe, reliable water to 650,000 people; -- improvement of sanitation services for 150,000 displaced people; -- reunification of 1,200 children, formerly associated with armed groups, with their families; -- provision of comprehensive services to 2,000 survivors of sexual violence; and -- provision of antimalarial bed nets to 744,000 children and pregnant women. 7. United Nations World Food Programme ($1 million) - Canada's support will contribute to the provision of food and nutrition assistance to more than 1.25 million persons affected by conflict in the Central African Republic through: -- general food distribution; -- blanket and targeted supplementary feeding for children under five years old, as well as pregnant and lactating women; and -- emergency school feeding. 8. World Food Programme-United Nations Humanitarian Air Service ($500,000) - Canada's support will contribute to ensuring that humanitarian efforts reach beneficiaries through the provision of: -- safe and reliable passenger air service for more than 65 humanitarian organizations and donor agencies to 27 locations in the country; -- transportation of light cargo (e.g. medicines) for humanitarian agencies; and -- timely medical and security evacuations for humanitarian staff.
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,344
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
Most organizations prioritize data security only after their data has already been compromised. Proactive prevention is important, but how can you accomplish that on a small budget? Learn how the cloud, combined with a defense and in-depth approach, creates efficiencies by transferring and assigning risk. Security requires a multi-defense approach, and an in-house team may only be able to cherry pick from the essential components. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Vlad Friedman, CEO/Founder o...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,819
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,389
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,172
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,837
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,153
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 987
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 813
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 25, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,217
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,249
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,642
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,160
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,875
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,489