|By Business Wire||
|March 27, 2014 06:34 PM EDT||
FOSE, the largest, most comprehensive event serving the government technology community, is kicking off a day early this year with targeted half-day and full-day workshops designed to provide attendees with hands-on training in a variety of disciplines from winning government contracts to understanding the impact of the knowledge age. These new pre-event workshops, led by experts in the field, will take place on Monday, May 12, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., and will be followed by the FOSE 2014 conference and expo, May 13-15.
“By enhancing our attendees’ experience in 2014 with intensive and interactive workshops, FOSE is an even more valuable resource for government technology professionals,” said David Myers, event director, Government Events at 1105 Media. “At a single location, and in just a matter of days, FOSE attendees will be able to discover tools designed to help them do their jobs better, learn about best practices to improve agency operations and advance their personal career development with educational sessions and the opportunity to secure in-demand certifications.”
Full-day workshops, which cost $499 for government employees and contractors, and $599 for industry, include:
- “It’s the Knowledge Age. Do you know the impact on you personally?" – In 1993, Peter Drucker described a coming transformation, just as Knowledge Management (KM) appeared on the horizon. Most technologists think KM is just another IT application, but it’s really the first wave of a radical transformation. Drucker’s future is here, and as a result many individual career paths and organizations will be swallowed up by this transformation, especially those that don’t lead the adaptation. In this workshop custom-designed for FOSE, leader Douglas Weidner, chairman of the International Knowledge Management Institute and chief CKM Instructor at the KM Institute, will help participants assess their individual prospects and career opportunities, and for executives, explain the imperatives and implications of the Knowledge Age. Those who complete the workshop will gain credit toward either Certified Knowledge Practitioner (CKP)™ or Personal Knowledge Manager (PKM)™ certifications.
- Becoming a Certified Information Professional – Denise Bedford, Goodyear professor of Knowledge Management at Kent State University, will show how, in this fast-paced world of technology, it's not enough to be a deep subject matter expert – you have to understand the big picture. In this workshop, participants will learn what it means to be a certified information professional, including how they need broader skills set than what is traditionally found within records management, document management or IT departments. Today’s certified information professionals must understand the management, use and application of information, as well as the knowledge and social assets across the organization.
- Information Assurance (IA) for Managers – Led by Michael Riley, Information Systems Security Line of Business manager for Edgesource, this workshop will provide managers with topical information to complete their responsibilities for overseeing information security programs and employees. Attendees will participate in multiple group problem-solving exercises, including a risk assessment exercise.
- Introduction to Agile Business Intelligence – The challenges of meeting a growing demand by stakeholders for the ability to harvest information, gain insight, and share knowledge in support of proactive decision-making grows ever more important as data volume and complexity grow in our dynamic environment. This, coupled with a dramatic evolution of business intelligence and sophisticated analytics, will continue to drive user expectations of “anywhere, anytime, anyway” on-demand intuitive access. In this workshop, Karen Degner, an independent consultant with BlackBox Partners, will explore agile, lean and hybrid approaches to business intelligence (BI), data governance, data management and data warehouse. A Professional Development Unit (PDU) for each hour of training will be offered for the completion of this workshop.
Half-day workshops, which cost $299 for government employees and contractors, and $399 for industry, include:
- Information To Win™: FPDS-NG Beginner/Intermediate – Led by Guy Timberlake, chief visionary officer for The American Small Business Coalition, this interactive workshop will help neophytes and veterans of government contracting to develop a better understanding of and ability to use information they see and hear every day for decision-making related to finding and winning government contracts and subcontracts. Participants will learn how to leverage the data and information contained in the Federal Procurement Data System Next Generation (FPDS-NG), the primary source of government contracting historical transaction data used by free and fee-based information services.
- Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ – This workshop, also led by Timberlake, will change how participants look for, look at and use information. Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ is an abridged version of the Ethical Stalking for Government Contractors™, an eight-hour lecture and lab program that previous attendees credit with helping them to identify key market information not available through traditional information sources, and saving time and money for their companies in the area of opportunity identification and capture.
Workshop participants on May 12 can benefit from further education on May 13-15 at the free FOSE Expo, which brings together hundreds of vendors – from local suppliers to Fortune 500 companies that are among the most-trusted technology suppliers servicing government and private industry. Government personnel also receive entry to the FOSE conference program, featuring sessions on the proven tools and strategies presented by leading technology implementers in 7 tracks including: Cloud & Virtualization, Cybersecurity, Cybercrime and Cyberterrorism, Mobile Government, Big Data and Records Management , Project Management, and Acquisition and Procurement. Government contractors and industry personnel can attend the conference for one day, or all three days, at an economic rate. To register, visit the FOSE website.
For 37 years, FOSE has served as the nation's premier event for government technology professionals seeking tools and best practices to equip their agency for the 21st century. From policy updates—straight from the Hill—to exclusive insights from today's leading authorities to the most comprehensive showcase of technology in action—it's all at FOSE. For more information, visit www.FOSE.com. Please click here to register as press.
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,489
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 948
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,677
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,380
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,341
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,456
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,701
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 865
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,205
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,035
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,928
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,592
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,608
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,430
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,445