|By PR Newswire||
|March 31, 2014 02:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, March 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Dividend increase of 10% proposed
Burford Capital Limited ("Burford" or "the Company"), the world's largest provider of investment capital and risk solutions for litigation, announces its financial results for the full year ended 31 December 2013.
- A 25% increase in Burford's profit before tax for 2013to $42.5 million (2012: $34.1 million)
- Notable increases in income from both the litigation investment and insurance businesses:
- A 20% increase in litigation-related investment income reflecting continued portfolio activity and maturity
- A 29% increase in insurance income during the period of Burford's ownership reflecting strong performance of the historical book
- Continued strong investment returns: Since inception, 25 investments have generated $147 million in gross investment recoveries and $50 million net of invested capital (a 43% increase over 2012's $35 million), producing a 52% net return on invested capital
- Material increase in cash generation: in 2013, Burford generated $31.3 million of cash from the investment portfolio, an increase of 78% over 2012's $17.7 million
- Significant levels of activity in the insurance business, with more than $150 million in new business exposure written in 2013, exceeding 2011 and 2012 combined
- Ongoing demand for Burford's capital reflected in $62 million of new capital deployed in 2013 bringing commitments since inception to $419 million to 59 investments and current commitments to $264 million to 35 investments
- First major step towards a more appropriate capital structure with the successful issue of $40 million in contingent preferred shares to improve capital utilisation and balance sheet flexibility
- Active cost control, with operating costs declining by 10% over 2012
- Dividend increase of 10% to 5.23¢ per share proposed on top of last year's 30% increase
Sir Peter Middleton, Chairman of Burford, commented:
"Burford has achieved a significant amount in the past year, continuing to innovate and build the business in ways that sow the seeds for future growth. We remain grateful for the continued support of our investors and look forward to the continued evolution of the business."
Christopher Bogart, Chief Executive Officer of Burford, commented:
"2013 was another year of successful progress for Burford which saw continued significant growth in our levels of income and profits from both the litigation investment and insurance businesses and increased levels of activity throughout the business. We are excited to be at the forefront of this rapidly maturing and evolving industry."
Excluding the accounting impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and UK restructuring costs
A financial summary is set out below. Burford's complete annual report and audited accounts are attached in .pdf form to this RNS and are available at http://www.burfordcapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Burford_Capital_AR13_web.pdf The figures for taxation and profit after tax exclude the impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and the one-off UK Restructuring costs and are shown to assist in understanding of the underlying performance of the Company. All other figures presented are derived directly from the audited consolidated financial statements.
2013 2012 % change (US$000) Litigation-related investment income 38,847 32,457 20% Insurance-related income 20,910 16,152 29% Other income 903 5,628 Total income 60,660 54,237 12% Operating expenses - corporate and investment (11,367) (15,054) Operating expenses - insurance (6,779) (5,085) Profit before tax and the impacts relating to the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and UK Restructuring costs 42,514 34,098 25% Taxation* (2,276) (2,556) Profit after tax** 40,238 31,542 28%
* Taxation does not include deferred taxation credit on amortisation of embedded value intangible asset. ** This is profit after tax excluding the impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation, and UK Restructuring costs, which are included in the Consolidated Statement of Comprehensive Income on page 22 of the attached.
About Burford Capital
Burford Capital is the world's largest provider of investment capital and risk solutions for litigation with the largest and most experienced dedicated team in the industry. Burford is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange's AIM market under the ticker symbol BUR. Burford provides a broad range of corporate finance and insurance solutions to lawyers and clients engaged in significant litigation and arbitration around the world.
For more information about Burford, visit http://www.burfordcapital.com
Burford's complete annual report and audited accounts are available at http://www.burfordcapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Burford_Capital_AR13_web.pdf
For further information, please contact:
Macquarie Capital (Europe) Limited - NOMAD and Joint Broker
Steve Baldwin +44 (0)20 3037 2000
Espirito Santo Investment Bank - Joint Broker
John Llewellyn-Lloyd +44 (0)20 7456 9191
RBC Capital Markets - Joint Broker
Oliver Hearsey +44 (0)20 7653 4000
FTI Consulting - PR for Burford Capital
Edward Berry +44 (0)20 3727 1046
Laura Ewart +44 (0)20 3727 1160
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 176
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 326
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 143
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 336
Feb. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 118
Feb. 7, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 336
Feb. 7, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 144
Feb. 7, 2016 10:15 AM EST
Feb. 7, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 343
Feb. 7, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 140
Feb. 7, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 197
Feb. 7, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 110
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 714
Feb. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 359