|By PR Newswire||
|March 31, 2014 07:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, March 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Burford Capital Limited ("Burford" or "the Company"), the world's largest provider of investment capital and risk solutions for litigation, announces its financial results for the full year ended 31 December 2013.
- A 25% increase in Burford's profit before tax for 2013to $42.5 million (2012: $34.1 million)
- Notable increases in income from both the litigation investment and insurance businesses:
- A 20% increase in litigation-related investment income reflecting continued portfolio activity and maturity
- A 29% increase in insurance income during the period of Burford's ownership reflecting strong performance of the historical book
- Continued strong investment returns: Since inception, 25 investments have generated $147 million in gross investment recoveries and $50 million net of invested capital (a 43% increase over 2012's $35 million), producing a 52% net return on invested capital
- Material increase in cash generation: in 2013, Burford generated $31.3 million of cash from the investment portfolio, an increase of 78% over 2012's $17.7 million
- Significant levels of activity in the insurance business, with more than $150 million in new business exposure written in 2013, exceeding 2011 and 2012 combined
- Ongoing demand for Burford's capital reflected in $62 million of new capital deployed in 2013 bringing commitments since inception to $419 million to 59 investments and current commitments to $264 million to 35 investments
- First major step towards a more appropriate capital structure with the successful issue of $40 million in contingent preferred shares to improve capital utilisation and balance sheet flexibility
- Active cost control, with operating costs declining by 10% over 2012
- Dividend increase of 10% to 5.23¢ per share proposed on top of last year's 30% increase
Sir Peter Middleton, Chairman of Burford, commented:
"Burford has achieved a significant amount in the past year, continuing to innovate and build the business in ways that sow the seeds for future growth. We remain grateful for the continued support of our investors and look forward to the continued evolution of the business."
Christopher Bogart, Chief Executive Officer of Burford, commented:
"2013 was another year of successful progress for Burford which saw continued significant growth in our levels of income and profits from both the litigation investment and insurance businesses and increased levels of activity throughout the business. We are excited to be at the forefront of this rapidly maturing and evolving industry."
Excluding the accounting impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and UK restructuring costs
A financial summary is set out below. Burford's complete annual report and audited accounts are attached in .pdf form to this RNS and are available at http://www.burfordcapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Burford_Capital_AR13_web.pdf The figures for taxation and profit after tax exclude the impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and the one-off UK Restructuring costs and are shown to assist in understanding of the underlying performance of the Company. All other figures presented are derived directly from the audited consolidated financial statements.
2013 2012 % change (US$000) Litigation-related investment income 38,847 32,457 20% Insurance-related income 20,910 16,152 29% Other income 903 5,628 Total income 60,660 54,237 12% Operating expenses - corporate and investment (11,367) (15,054) Operating expenses - insurance (6,779) (5,085) Profit before tax and the impacts relating to the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation and UK Restructuring costs 42,514 34,098 25% Taxation* (2,276) (2,556) Profit after tax** 40,238 31,542 28%
* Taxation does not include deferred taxation credit on amortisation of embedded value intangible asset. ** This is profit after tax excluding the impact of the Burford UK acquisition, the 2012 Reorganisation, and UK Restructuring costs, which are included in the Consolidated Statement of Comprehensive Income on page 22 of the attached.
About Burford Capital
Burford Capital is the world's largest provider of investment capital and risk solutions for litigation with the largest and most experienced dedicated team in the industry. Burford is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange's AIM market under the ticker symbol BUR. Burford provides a broad range of corporate finance and insurance solutions to lawyers and clients engaged in significant litigation and arbitration around the world.
For more information about Burford, visit http://www.burfordcapital.com
Burford's complete annual report and audited accounts are available at http://www.burfordcapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Burford_Capital_AR13_web.pdf
For further information, please contact:
Macquarie Capital (Europe) Limited - NOMAD and Joint Broker
Steve Baldwin +44 (0)20 3037 2000
Espirito Santo Investment Bank - Joint Broker
John Llewellyn-Lloyd +44 (0)20 7456 9191
RBC Capital Markets - Joint Broker
Oliver Hearsey +44 (0)20 7653 4000
FTI Consulting - PR for Burford Capital
Edward Berry +44 (0)20 3727 1046
Laura Ewart +44 (0)20 3727 1160
SOURCE Burford Capital
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,043
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,668
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 24, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,283
Oct. 24, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,098
Oct. 24, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,047
Oct. 24, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 830
Oct. 24, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,925
Oct. 24, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,887
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 781
Oct. 24, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,572
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 964
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,481
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 760
Oct. 24, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,347
Oct. 24, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 884