|By PR Newswire||
|April 1, 2014 01:52 PM EDT||
WASHINGTON, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- During the month of April, the Beer Institute will recognize Alcohol Awareness Month and the significant progress being made in reducing drunk driving and underage drinking with the support of major brewers and beer importers.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, drunk-driving fatalities have decreased 51 percent since 1982 and 21 percent over the past five years. Brewers and beer importers are committed to ending this preventable issue, and invest in a host of community-level programs to promote safe rides home, designated drivers and responsible drinking.
Further, the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows record low levels of underage drinking among 12-17 year-olds. The Beer Institute applauded the record lows as evidence that efforts to discourage underage drinking are working, but noted that much more work remains to be done.
"Brewers and beer importers are deeply committed to responsibility. We invest in programs that encourage responsible consumption, and help keep beer out of the hands of underage consumers," said Chris Thorne, Beer Institute Vice President of Communications. "Especially as students look forward to prom and graduation celebrations, we encourage parents to talk with their kids about alcohol use. You have the greatest influence on your child's drinking decisions."
While the historical trends point to record low rates of alcohol misuse, Thorne said that major brewers will continue investing toward the goal of reducing misuse to zero. Most adults who drink do so responsibly. And health research shows that moderate beer consumption is associated with a variety of potential health benefits including stronger bones, decreased risk of heart disease and reduction in stroke occurrence.
"Beer is the one drink with a consistent and customary portion—typically a 12 oz. can or bottle—and more than 90 percent of beer sold is 4.6 percent Alcohol By Volume (ABV) or less. You can't over pour a beer, which makes it the perfect choice for those who choose to moderate their consumption. Consumed responsibly, beer brings people together, and it is no wonder that beer's the top choice at celebrations and occasions across America," Thorne noted.
Specific responsibility efforts being made by brewers and beer importers include:
- More than 30 years ago, Anheuser-Busch launched its first alcohol responsibility campaign, "Know When to Say When." Since 1990, the Anheuser-Busch Family Talk About Drinking program has helped parents talk with their children about underage drinking, and today offers a parent guide on Facebook to help match parenting styles with the cognitive development of children. Through the company's WE I.D. program, Anheuser-Busch and its nationwide network of wholesalers have distributed tools to help hundreds of thousands of retail accounts serve and sell alcohol responsibly, and post signage to remind consumers they will be asked to show a valid I.D. to purchase alcohol. The in-stadium Budweiser/Bud Light Good Sport designated-driver program has been implemented with 98 professional sports teams with in-game messages and promotions to reward and encourage adults 21 and up to pledge to be a designated driver. Through innovative programming, Bud Light continues to bring alcohol responsibility to the forefront. In 2013, the free Bud Light Taxi app launched to help adults connect, with one button, to a local cab company. In January 2014, Bud Light gave away 4,800 safe rides home in 48 hours with the help of a popular ride-sharing service. On September 19, 2014, Anheuser-Busch employees and wholesalers will celebrate the fifth annual Global Be(er) Responsible Day by spending a day out in the trade to encourage adults to designate a driver.
- MillerCoors implements a number of drunk driving prevention programs throughout the year to help their customers get home safely. This includes the Miller Lite and Coors Light Free Rides programs, which have expanded to 16 communities across the country and have provided over 4 million safe rides since the programs' inception. In 2013, MillerCoors partnered with Hailo, the world's highest rated taxi app, to bring $3 million worth of taxi rides to Boston, Chicago and New York over the holiday season. Furthermore, the brewer continues its sponsorship of a national cab dispatch service, 1-800-TAXICAB, that includes a downloadable app, and supports designated driver programs across the country. Through these programs, an online pledge, and advertising, MillerCoors recently surpassed its goal of being 10 Million Strong Against Drunk Driving early and will now work to engage millions more. The brewer is committed to preventing underage drinking and partners with the Responsible Retail Forum to enhance the existing skills of retailers through the Respect 21 program, assisting almost 2,000 retailers in keeping alcohol out of the hands of those under the legal drinking age. MillerCoors also partners with organizations like TEAM Coalition and Health Communications, Inc. to provide training to concessionaires, stadium operations staff and servers. Constellation Brands Beer Division works to include an element of responsible programming in major sponsorships like the U.S. Open of Surfing in Huntington Beach, Calif., which draws over 500,000 spectators, by encouraging consumers to use public transportation to travel around the event and then home safely. Constellation Beer Division also partners with public transportation providers, like the Chicago Transit Authority and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, to offer safe-rides home over Cinco de Mayo and other holiday time periods.
- As the first alcohol company to place a responsibility message on all of its television, radio and print advertising, HEINEKEN USA has had a longstanding commitment to the responsible consumption of its products. In 2013, the company took it a step further by integrating its newly launched Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale with its Taxi Magic partnership, providing thousands of consumers of age with discount codes to get a safe ride home. For its distributors, the company recognizes partners who go above and beyond to promote responsible consumption through its annual 1864 Award for Responsibility. From partnering with local law enforcement to community programs and employee incentives, HEINEKEN USA works with distributors to help elevate responsible consumption everywhere. HEINEKEN USA is also a founding partner of the Health Alliance on Alcohol, a partnership between HEINEKEN USA and renowned hospitals, aimed at reducing underage drinking by offering free downloadable e-books and other resources to parents and mentors to encourage discussions with teens about alcohol.
Government statistics and other research show that these and other programs to prevent alcohol misuse could be paying off:
- Indicators show record low levels of underage drinking among 12-17 year-olds, according to the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Since record keeping began in 2002, past-month drinking is down 27 percent; binge drinking has declined 33 percent; and heavy drinking has dropped 48 percent.
- Another government study, the Monitoring the Future survey of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders' drug and alcohol use, reported that alcohol use and binge drinking continued their long term declines in 2013, reaching their lowest points in the history of the study.
- A 2013 annual survey from the University of California Los Angeles reveals that the percentage of college freshmen who spent 6 or more hours "partying" in a typical week during their senior year of high school reached a new record low. Down 65 percent since 1987, when the question was first asked. The survey also revealed that 35 percent of college freshmen reported drinking beer in 2013, down 53 percent from its peak in 1982 (73.7 percent).
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, drunk-driving fatalities have decreased 51 percent since 1982 and 21 percent over the last five years alone.
"Keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors and teaching responsible drinking habits is something that all Americans, not just our brewers and beer importers, should encourage," Thorne concluded. "We will continue working with parents, educators, law enforcement and community groups to promote the safe and legal consumption of beer in communities across the nation."
The Beer Institute is the national trade association for the American brewing industry, representing both large and small brewers, as well as importers and industry suppliers. First founded in 1863 as the U.S. Brewers Association, the Beer Institute is committed today to the development of sound public policy and to the values of civic duty and personal responsibility: www.BeerInstitute.org. Connect with us @BeerInstitute and on Facebook.
SOURCE The Beer Institute
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 29, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,549
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be? In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 29, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,547
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,441
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,080
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi LTD., will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) will be featuring the Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) portfolio. This is the industry’s only offering that allows organizations to bring together object storage, file sync and share, cloud storage gateways, and sophisticated search an...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 816
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,340
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 29, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,540
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 29, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,002
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,295
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,581
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 29, 2017 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,640
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 29, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,371
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at Dell EMC, introduced a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organization...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,837
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,061
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 29, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,359