|By PR Newswire||
|April 2, 2014 10:22 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC today affirmed its 'MOR CS2' commercial mortgage primary servicer ranking for Situs Asset Management LLC, and raised its commercial mortgage special servicer ranking for Situs Holdings, LLC to 'MOR CS1' from 'MOR CS2.' The affirmed primary servicer ranking and raised special servicer ranking are based on the following factors:
Primary Servicer Ranking:
- Stabilizing operations: Situs had high staff turnover rates during 2013 as the company made further organizational modifications as part of a revised business strategy initiated in early 2012. Signs now indicate that the company's employee turnover rate in 2014 should be much lower.
- Effective and strengthened technology: Situs has effective technology tools for its loan administration and portfolio management duties, which now involve more large-scale assets and customized reporting. In Morningstar's view, the company's conversion to a new servicing system in 2012, along with other completed technology enhancements, is strengthening its servicing capabilities.
- Solid professional experience and depth: Situs has retained an experienced professional staff and an organizational structure that promotes portfolio management accountability. Situs also has an effective training function.
- Sound internal audit and new compliance program: Situs has a multi-level internal audit function that examines its operations annually. Recently completed audits cited no material exceptions related to operational controls and procedures. Situs also established a formal compliance function for primary servicing in 2013.
- Effective portfolio management: Situs has diligent practices to monitor collateral performance and handle credit issues. The company has experience with highly structured assets, distressed portfolios, and providing investors customized surveillance and asset management.
- No commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) servicing history, yet robust client reporting capabilities: According to Morningstar, Situs has proven capabilities to deliver customized and detailed investor reporting. While the company has not yet served as a primary servicer for a government-sponsored entity or other CMBS, Situs services one securitized small-balance portfolio. The company also provides supplemental commercial real estate finance council (CREFC)-compliant portfolio surveillance reporting to certain CMBS investors.
Special Servicer Ranking:
- Extended record of asset resolution achievement: Situs demonstrates highly successful asset resolution performance results involving many challenging assets nationwide. Morningstar considers Situs to be a very adept CMBS special servicer.
- Very experienced professional team: Situs continues to have a highly experienced management team and asset managers. Adding further professional depth, the operation includes a dedicated asset management subsidiary for a bank-owned portfolio.
- Excellent technology: Situs uses a highly effective proprietary asset management system that is well-suited for CMBS reporting and integrated with the company's other applications.
- Well-controlled, diligent asset analytics and management: Situs has diligent and controlled asset analysis practices. The company also strengthened its real estate-owned (REO) property oversight by establishing an ongoing property management company audit program.
- Sound internal audit and compliance functions: The special servicing operation undergoes annual audits and has its own compliance function. Recently completed audits indicated no material exceptions related to operational controls and procedures.
- Effective conflicts of interest management: Situs is a CMBS special servicer for transactions in which two affiliated investors respectively hold first-loss positions and are the controlling class holders. In Morningstar's view, Situs has sound practices to manage any conflicts of interest in this regard.
As of Dec. 31, 2013, Situs' primary servicing portfolio consisted of 879 loans with an unpaid principal balance (UPB) of approximately $12.1 billion. The portfolio included one securitized transaction and three commercial real estate collateralized debt obligation (CRE CDO) transactions. As of Dec. 31, 2013, Situs was the named special servicer for 1,907 loans with an approximate UPB of $23.2 billion, including 18 CMBS transactions. The company's total active special servicing portfolio contained 320 assets with a combined UPB of approximately $2.4 billion. The active CMBS portfolio comprised 97 assets with a combined UPB of approximately $1.2 billion.
The forecast for both rankings remains Stable. As a primary servicer, Situs should continue to operate effectively to meet its clients' servicing and portfolio management requirements. Morningstar also believes the company will continue to maintain the practices and expertise to serve as a highly effective special servicer for CMBS and other investors.
To access Morningstar's operational risk assessment methodology and all published reports, please visit https://ratingagency.morningstar.com.
About Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC and Morningstar, Inc.
Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization (NRSRO) that specializes in structured credit research and ratings, and offers a wide array of services including new-issue ratings and analysis, operational risk assessments, surveillance services, data, and technology solutions.
Morningstar Credit Ratings' rankings, forecasts, and assessments contained in this press release are evaluations and opinions of non-credit related risks, and therefore, are not credit ratings within the meaning of Section 3 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 ("Exchange Act") or credit ratings subject to the Exchange Act requirements and regulations promulgated thereunder with respect to credit ratings issued by NRSROs.
Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for individual investors, financial advisors, asset managers, and retirement plan providers and sponsors. Morningstar provides data on approximately 446,000 investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on more than 10 million equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar also offers investment management services through its registered investment advisor subsidiaries and had approximately $159 billion in assets under advisement and management as of Dec. 31, 2013. The company has operations in 27 countries.
Morningstar, Inc. is not an NRSRO and its credit ratings on corporate and municipal issuers are not NRSRO credit ratings.
©2014 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.
Michelle Weiss, +1 267-960-6014 or [email protected]
SOURCE Morningstar, Inc.
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 9, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 3,973
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 9, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,644
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes how...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 5,110
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,199
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 878
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 702
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,172
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,239
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,672
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 964
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 8, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,892
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 337
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 398
"Qosmos has launched L7Viewer, a network traffic analysis tool, so it analyzes all the traffic between the virtual machine and the data center and the virtual machine and the external world," stated Sebastien Synold, Product Line Manager at Qosmos, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 960
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 953