|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 11:45 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Distracted driving is a significant problem on America's roadways. According to the latest federal data, more than 3,328 were killed people and approximately 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving distracted drivers nationwide in 2012. These numbers are likely under-reported because of the difficulty in determining the role distraction plays in crashes.
To keep drivers safe, states across the country are joining with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's first coordinated national distracted driving enforcement campaign: U Drive. U Text. U Pay, running April 10-15. The full month of April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. While only one state qualified for federal distracted driving funds in 2014 (see funding chart) through the MAP-21 law (Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century), many states are using other limited resources to draw attention to the dangers of distracted driving.
GHSA Executive Director Jonathan Adkins notes, "States recognize that distracted driving is a serious challenge on our roadways. Now that nearly every state bans texting while driving, the focus is on enforcing those laws and reminding the public of the need to focus solely on driving while behind the wheel."
Below are just a few of the many state activities in support of the national campaign:
- California—The California Office of Traffic Safety is coordinating high visibility enforcement operations by the California Highway Patrol and more than 250 law enforcement agencies across the state. Press conferences will emphasize the startling statistics surrounding cell phone use while driving. Message boards highlighting these statistics will be set up in movie theaters and shopping malls, and TV commercials will warn drivers against becoming a distracted driving "zombie."
- Florida—The Florida highway safety office is reminding drivers to "Put it Down" through its statewide campaign. A total of 226 law enforcement agencies are participating in enforcement of the state's recently passed texting ban. Educational efforts include website banners, social media, and a proclamation from the Governor. Digital message boards will remind drivers not to text, and social media will spread awareness. The Orlando Sentinel is teaming up with Ford Driving Skills for Life on a booklet for high school seniors that highlights the dangers of texting while driving.
- Georgia—The Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) is using the U Drive. U Text. U Pay message online and through social media to spread the word about the dangers of texting and driving. In addition, GOHS's paid media will target adults in the 18-34 age range, focusing on women. A statewide earned media campaign will kick off Distracted Driving Awareness Month in advance of the enforcement period. Finally, GOHS staff has signed a pledge to be an example to both the Georgia motoring public and other state agencies that they will follow state law and not text and drive.
- Minnesota—The Minnesota Department of Public Safety/Office of Traffic Safety has stepped up enforcement running April 11-20. Media efforts include press conferences, news release templates for law enforcement, and high school PA announcements. The highway safety office will be live tweeting on April 11 and linking to its teen "body bag" You Tube video on Facebook. The office is also reaching out to diverse communities through African American, Hmong and Latino publications.
- New York—In addition to unveiling new campaign artwork on billboards, the Governor's Traffic Safety Committee (GTSC) is asking its more than 500 state, local and county police agencies to utilize grant funding to conduct high visibility, stepped up enforcement April 10-15, to coincide with NHTSA's campaign. Locals are being asked to work with their media outlets to arrange for press events during that timeframe. GTSC is utilizing its website and social media to alert the public to expect increased enforcement and using "bonus time" in its cable TV grant to air distracted driving messaging on TV and in social media formats. The NYS Thruway and DOT will support the campaign by posting messages on their variable message boards.
- Rhode Island—The Rhode Island Department of Transportation Office on Highway Safety is leveraging social media to remind teens that distracted driving can have deadly results. Specifically, the office is developing a series of YouTube videos featuring local teens, and will be running TV and radio spots the week prior to the enforcement campaign, involving 15 municipal police departments and the Rhode Island State Police (RISP). The highway safety office also is working in partnership with AT&T, the Rhode Island Attorney General and RISP on AT&T's It Can Wait campaign. This year, the campaign has visited more than 12 high schools, earning considerable local and statewide press coverage.
For a full list of state activities, go to www.ghsa.org/html/issues/distraction/april2014.html.
State distracted driving laws are at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html.
Visit the U.S. DOT's distracted driving website: http://distraction.gov.
For more information on the national campaign, see http://www.nhtsa.gov.
The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) is a nonprofit association representing the highway safety offices of states, territories, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. GHSA provides leadership and representation for the states and territories to improve traffic safety, influence national policy, enhance program management and promote best practices. Its members are appointed by their Governors to administer federal and state highway safety funds and implement state highway safety plans. Contact GHSA at 202-789-0942 or visit www.ghsa.org. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GHSAhq or follow us on Twitter @GHSAHQ.
SOURCE Governors Highway Safety Association
If you haven’t heard yet, CollabNet just put out some very big news for managing and gaining value from DevOps. We introduced CollabNet DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM) — a platform designed exclusively for providing a single pane of glass, dashboard, and traceability views across your DevOps toolchain and processes from planning to operations and that can be traced back to planning and development.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 861
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,226
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,041
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 659
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 388
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,238
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,137
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,966
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 7,468
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 2,281
"MathFreeOn.com is a line coding platform for engineers and scientists. When they want to solve an engineering problem and they have to use software - they have to pay a lot of money for licenses - but with MathFreeOn you don't have to pay a lot of money. Just go to our site and write the code and you can check the result right away," explained Simon Lee, CMO of MathFreeOn, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Cla...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 491
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 783
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,092
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,400
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,412