|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 04:28 PM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- CannaVest Corp. ("CannaVest" or "the Company") (OTCBB: CANV) reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2013.
Financial highlights for fiscal year 2013 include the following:
- Product sales of $2.154 million
- Gross margin of 59.1%
- Operating expenses of $2.891 million
- Operating loss of $(1.617 million)
- Net loss of $(2.3 million) representing a loss of $(0.23) per share
- Invested $750,000 to purchase 24.97% of the outstanding equity in KannaLife Sciences, Inc., a leading phytomedical company specializing in the development of pharmacological products derived from plants
- Purchased certain assets of PhytoSPHERE Systems in exchange for 5,825,000 shares of common stock and $950,000 in cash
CannaVest President and Chief Executive Officer, Michael J. Mona, Jr. commented on CannaVest 2013 performance, saying "I am pleased with our progress for 2013. Product sales were initiated in the third quarter and began to gain traction throughout the year. I look forward to ongoing progress and growth in 2014 as we continue to broaden our product lines, expand our sales network and bolster our management team. We have been successful at securing large quantities of product that give us a myriad of expansion opportunities going forward."
The Company is not presenting an overview of its Q4 financial performance or comparison to prior quarters as it has concluded that those comparisons would be in error. Management has determined that the previously issued financial statements contained in the Company's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2013, June 30, 2013 and September 30, 2013 (the "Forms 10-Q") should be restated because of errors associated with the purchase price allocation for the assets acquired related to PhytoSPHERE Systems. Specifically, management determined that the allocation of the purchase price as previously disclosed in the Forms 10-Q was not in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounts Principals ("GAAP").
The Company is in the process of preparing the restated Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2013, June 30, 2013 and September 30, 2013. The decision to restate the disclosure was discussed with the Company's independent registered public accounting firm and was made after discovery of such errors relating to its disclosures.
Financial results for the year ended December 31, 2013
- Product sales of $2,154,063 and gross profit of $1,273,593, representing a gross profit percentage of 59.1% for the year ended December 31, 2013 versus no sales or cost of revenues during 2012. This is the result of the Company restructuring in late 2012 and implementing its new business strategy of producing and selling hemp-based health and wellness products based on natural cannabidiol (CBD).
- Selling, general, and administrative expenses for the year ended December 31, 2013 were $2,366,450 compared to $43,018 for the year ended December 31, 2012. The increase of $2,323,432 was related to increases sales, marketing, administrative, legal and accounting expenses associated with the implementation of the Company's new business model throughout 2013. Expenses for the year ended December 31, 2013 also included a $400,000 provision for bad debts and $753,500 in amortization related to intangible assets purchased as part of the purchase of assets from PhytoSPHERE Systems, LLC that closed during 2013. The Company had no intangible assets during 2012.
- Research and development costs for the year ended December 31, 2013 were $524,476. The Company incurred no research and development costs for the year ended December 31, 2012. These costs included the cost of our laboratory facility, supplies, personnel, inventory used in process development, and amounts paid to third parties for product and process development. The Company did not have those activities ongoing during 2012.
- Interest expense was $372,109 for the year ended December 31, 2013 versus interest expense of $2,593 for the year ended December 31, 2012. Interest for the current year includes $161,583 interest accrued on the note payable to Roen Ventures plus $210,526 as amortization of the discount calculated on the note payable to Roen Ventures, LLC related to a beneficial conversion feature.
- A loss of $310,754 on our investment in KannaLife Sciences, Inc. This represents our pro rata share of KannaLife's total loss for the year ended December 31, 2013.
- An increase in cash by $2,243,239 to $2,243,670.
- A total of $4,879,234 used in operating activities versus $64,084 for the year ended December 31, 2012. A total of $2,602,166 was used on increases in inventory and prepaid inventory. In addition, $174,317 was used on prepaid expenses, $1,744,064 was used due to an increase in accounts receivable. This was offset by an increase in accounts payable of $24,622 and accrued expenses of $222,703. For the year ended December 31, 2013, net loss less depreciation and amortization resulted in a use of cash of $1,532,942 versus $45,611 in the year ended December 31, 2012. Cash used in operating activities included a decrease in accounts payable and accrued expenses of $20,223, offset by a decrease of prepaid expenses of $1,750.
- For the year ended December 31, 2013, the Company used $1,875,819 in investing activities. This included cash received from the acquisition of the assets of $50,775, less $226,594 used for the purchase of equipment, $950,000 paid to PhytoSPHERE Systems for the purchase of assets, and $750,000 invested in KannaLife Sciences. No cash was used in or provided by investing activities for the year ended December 31, 2012.
- A total of $8,998,292 was provided by financing activities for the year ended December 31, 2013, which included proceeds from the loan from Roen Ventures, LLC of $6,192,069, $2,731,423 received from the sale of common stock, and $175,000 received for common stock issued in 2014. This was offset by repayment of $100,000 to Roen Ventures, LLC. For the year ended December 31, 2012, net cash flows from financing activities included $63,347 in proceeds from a related party loan.
For further discussion of the Company's financial results for the year ended December 31, 2013, please refer to the Company's consolidated financial statements and related Management Discussion and Analysis, which can be found at www.cannavest.com or EDGAR at www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/webusers.htm.
About CannaVest Corp.
CannaVest is in the business of investing and developing hemp-based cannabinoid companies. CannaVest develops, produces, markets and sells end-consumer products to the nutraceutical industry containing the hemp plant extract, cannabidiol (CBD). Additionally, the company resells–to third parties–raw product acquired by CannaVest Corp. pursuant to its supply relationships in Europe. CannaVest Corp. seeks to take advantage of an emerging worldwide trend to re-energize the production of industrial hemp and to foster its many uses for consumers. Cannabinoids (cannabidiol/CBD) are natural constituents of the hemp plant, and CBD is derived from hemp stalk and seed. Additional information is available from OTCMarkets.com or by visiting www.cannavest.com.
FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA) DISCLOSURE
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.
This press release may contain certain forward-looking statements and information, as defined within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and is subject to the Safe Harbor created by those sections. This material contains statements about expected future events and/or financial results that are forward-looking in nature and subject to risks and uncertainties. Such forward-looking statements by definition involve risks, uncertainties and other factors, which may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of CannaVest Corp. to be materially different from the statements made herein.
CannaVest Corp. does not sell or distribute any products that are in violation of the United States Controlled Substances Act (US.CSA). The company does grow, sell and distribute hemp-based products and are involved with the federally legal distribution of medical marijuana-based products within certain international markets. Cannabidiol is a natural constituent of hemp oil.
2688 South Rainbow Avenue, Suite B
Las Vegas, NV 89146
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 26, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,421
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 26, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 379
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 641
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 674
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 26, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,915
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 663
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 26, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,525
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,297
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,927
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 552
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 413
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,411
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,974
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 635
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 584