|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 04:30 PM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Farmers Insurance, one of the nation's largest multiline insurers, invites consumers to mark the arrival of spring as an opportunity to make their homes and automobiles safer with a series of easy-to-implement consumers tips. For example, many homeowners who have started their spring flower planting have chosen roses as the flower of choice, not just for their beauty, but because of the added benefit that thorny bushes under windows or other entrances can help deter burglars.
"Farmers wants consumers to know there are easy and useful things they can do to better protect the things they care about," said Paul Quinn, Assistant Vice President of Farmers Insurance. "Spring time is a great time for homeowners to take a few minutes to improve their lives and make their homes and automobiles safer."
With the advent of a new season, Farmers suggests now is a good time to:
- Update passwords – There has been a great deal of attention recently about cyber security breaches and their impact on consumers. Homeowners can help protect themselves by regularly changing their passwords. And while they're at it, they shouldn't choose passwords that are too obvious, like birthdays, names of pets or favorite animals, etc.
- Check car tires – For many drivers across the country, this past winter was tougher than most. With the skies clearing, now would be a good time to inspect tires for any unusual wear and tear and to check the tread depth. Using a penny to check – inserting a penny headfirst into the groove, if the top of Lincoln's head is completely visible, it's time to get new tires,
- Clean the chimney – Not only was this winter tougher than most, it was also colder than most. For many homeowners, that means the chimney got a lot more use than usual. Rather than waiting for next winter to arrive, have your chimney professionally cleaned now and avoid the rush later in the year,
- Avoid animals on the road – As the weather begins to warm, it's not just we humans who start spending more time outdoors to enjoy nature and our surroundings, our wildlife friends – from deer to squirrels and raccoons and other furry friends – also wander out onto our roads. Drivers should watch for more animals on the road and should be extra cautious at dusk and at dawn since that is when deer are most active,
- Pool safety – The warmer weather will also sound the clarion call to hit the swimming pool and the spa. If these have been out of use for the winter, be sure that all the equipment is in proper working order before anyone puts a toe into the water. Also, review all the usual safety tips with youngsters who may use the pool – no swimming alone, be sure to have a portable phone nearby in case of emergencies, keep children away from drains, pipes or other openings, and this would also be a good time to take that special first-aid/CPR class you've been promising to take,
- Smoke detectors – An oldie but a goodie. Virtually everyone is aware that when we change our clocks for daylight savings time we should also change the batteries in our smoke detectors…but how many of us have actually done it. So, here's your second chance, go change the batteries now,
- Prepare for emergencies – While it's never too late to develop an emergency plan, it's much better to do it now, before the actual emergency. Every person should know what to do in the event of a tornado, wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, flood or other event that tends to occur. Farmers has a web site, www.farmers.com/disaster_plan to help homeowners get started.
Additional tips to help consumers are available at smart.farmers.com.
Farmers Insurance Group of Companies is a leading U.S. insurer group of automobiles, homes and small businesses and also provides a wide range of other insurance and financial services products. Farmers Insurance is proud to serve more than 10 million households with more than 20 million individual policies across all 50 states through the efforts of over 50,000 exclusive and independent agents and nearly 24,000 employees.
The Farmers Exchanges are three reciprocal insurers (Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange and Truck Insurance Exchange), including their subsidiaries and affiliates, owned by their policyholders. Farmers Group, Inc., along with its subsidiaries, manages the non-claims insurance operations of the Farmers Exchanges. Farmers Group, Inc. is wholly owned by the Zurich Insurance Group. For more information about Farmers, visit its Web site at www.farmers.com or at www.Facebook.com/FarmersInsurance.
SOURCE Farmers Insurance
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,131
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,948
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,873
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's [email protected] at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, high-productivity enterprise web applications for any device. SmartClient couples the industry’s broadest, deepest UI component set with a java server framework to deliver an end-...
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,049
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,768
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,701
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,355
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,030
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,203
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,142
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 26, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,258
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,558
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 682