|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 04:30 PM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Farmers Insurance, one of the nation's largest multiline insurers, invites consumers to mark the arrival of spring as an opportunity to make their homes and automobiles safer with a series of easy-to-implement consumers tips. For example, many homeowners who have started their spring flower planting have chosen roses as the flower of choice, not just for their beauty, but because of the added benefit that thorny bushes under windows or other entrances can help deter burglars.
"Farmers wants consumers to know there are easy and useful things they can do to better protect the things they care about," said Paul Quinn, Assistant Vice President of Farmers Insurance. "Spring time is a great time for homeowners to take a few minutes to improve their lives and make their homes and automobiles safer."
With the advent of a new season, Farmers suggests now is a good time to:
- Update passwords – There has been a great deal of attention recently about cyber security breaches and their impact on consumers. Homeowners can help protect themselves by regularly changing their passwords. And while they're at it, they shouldn't choose passwords that are too obvious, like birthdays, names of pets or favorite animals, etc.
- Check car tires – For many drivers across the country, this past winter was tougher than most. With the skies clearing, now would be a good time to inspect tires for any unusual wear and tear and to check the tread depth. Using a penny to check – inserting a penny headfirst into the groove, if the top of Lincoln's head is completely visible, it's time to get new tires,
- Clean the chimney – Not only was this winter tougher than most, it was also colder than most. For many homeowners, that means the chimney got a lot more use than usual. Rather than waiting for next winter to arrive, have your chimney professionally cleaned now and avoid the rush later in the year,
- Avoid animals on the road – As the weather begins to warm, it's not just we humans who start spending more time outdoors to enjoy nature and our surroundings, our wildlife friends – from deer to squirrels and raccoons and other furry friends – also wander out onto our roads. Drivers should watch for more animals on the road and should be extra cautious at dusk and at dawn since that is when deer are most active,
- Pool safety – The warmer weather will also sound the clarion call to hit the swimming pool and the spa. If these have been out of use for the winter, be sure that all the equipment is in proper working order before anyone puts a toe into the water. Also, review all the usual safety tips with youngsters who may use the pool – no swimming alone, be sure to have a portable phone nearby in case of emergencies, keep children away from drains, pipes or other openings, and this would also be a good time to take that special first-aid/CPR class you've been promising to take,
- Smoke detectors – An oldie but a goodie. Virtually everyone is aware that when we change our clocks for daylight savings time we should also change the batteries in our smoke detectors…but how many of us have actually done it. So, here's your second chance, go change the batteries now,
- Prepare for emergencies – While it's never too late to develop an emergency plan, it's much better to do it now, before the actual emergency. Every person should know what to do in the event of a tornado, wildfire, hurricane, earthquake, flood or other event that tends to occur. Farmers has a web site, www.farmers.com/disaster_plan to help homeowners get started.
Additional tips to help consumers are available at smart.farmers.com.
Farmers Insurance Group of Companies is a leading U.S. insurer group of automobiles, homes and small businesses and also provides a wide range of other insurance and financial services products. Farmers Insurance is proud to serve more than 10 million households with more than 20 million individual policies across all 50 states through the efforts of over 50,000 exclusive and independent agents and nearly 24,000 employees.
The Farmers Exchanges are three reciprocal insurers (Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange and Truck Insurance Exchange), including their subsidiaries and affiliates, owned by their policyholders. Farmers Group, Inc., along with its subsidiaries, manages the non-claims insurance operations of the Farmers Exchanges. Farmers Group, Inc. is wholly owned by the Zurich Insurance Group. For more information about Farmers, visit its Web site at www.farmers.com or at www.Facebook.com/FarmersInsurance.
SOURCE Farmers Insurance
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,034
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,011
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 991
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,567
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 26, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 943
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,759
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,193
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,163
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,328
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,470
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,064
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 26, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,091
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,766
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,119