|By PR Newswire||
|April 7, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, April 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 NAB Show, Booth #SL8016
- Deluxe Creative Services has deployed DataDirect Networks (DDN) WOS® object storage to address the massive storage and seamless sharing of digital content requirements critical to the filmmaking process, anywhere in the world.
- Faced with exponential data growth and a need to better manage the delivery demands of its feature-film workload, Deluxe sought an improved storage architecture that would relieve pressure on its expensive tier-one SAN, reduce reliance on LTO tape, and scale more easily across its global footprint.
- Following a full and competitive evaluation, Deluxe Creative Services met this challenge by deploying DDN™ WOS global object storage that ensures the maximum performance and data availability needed to meet fast turnarounds and rigorous project demands of the post-production and actively accessed archive workflow from around the globe.
- Deluxe Creative Services, through its respective Company 3, EFILM, Method Studios, and Beast brands, has played an important role in many acclaimed films, including the 2014 Oscar winner for Best Picture, "12 Years a Slave," and other box-office hits, such as "Captain Phillips," "Wolverine" and "Rush."
- A multi-site post-production house with offices in Los Angeles, New York, London, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver and various other sites, Deluxe Creative Services operates a 24x7 business with remote teams working together to address all aspects of post-production. Ensuring fast turnaround of digital content by automating workflows throughout the post-production lifecycle is key to delivering content whenever and wherever it's needed.
- With one of the largest pools of colorists and visual effects specialists in the industry, Deluxe feature films produce 300-500 TBs of raw camera masters with up to 50 MBs per frame, depending on format – image, color and sound – all of which doubles in size with 3D shows, increasing frame rates and ultra high-definition resolution.
- To meet these rigorous environment demands, DDN delivers an integrated active archive solution for migrating, preserving and accessing billions of files containing rich media content in partnership with ASG Software Solutions, using WOS object storage with ObjectAssure™ erasure coding and ASG-Digital Archiving (ADA). Deluxe benefits from this solution with improved uptime and data availability but with significantly less overhead cost than traditional disk storage platforms.
DDN's 'Pure' Object Architecture Optimized for Geographically Distributed Workforce
- The fully integrated DDN and ASG solution is based on ADA, a High Performance File Archiving Software solution for large data volumes, and WOS distributed object-based storage technology. The WOS-ADA solution leverages ADA archiving and data movement capabilities in conjunction with the WOS high-scale storage capabilities, high performance read/write abilities, efficient disk utilization and geographic replication.
- Upon rethinking its storage architecture, Deluxe is implementing eight WOS nodes with a total of 720 TBs of storage and an ADA archiving platform powered by four data movers; the company expects to scale beyond six petabytes in order to keep pace with ongoing expansion and project demands.
- To deliver storage performance that rivals Deluxe's SAN yet scales globally, DDN architected the WOS solution without an underlying file system. This architecture enables Deluxe Creative Services to achieve performance that matches its tier-one storage yet expands easily across its geographically distributed environment to meet the needs of its remote teams.
- As WOS nodes are deployed around the globe, a boost in productivity is being experienced at each location because finding content now is much easier and requires less effort.
- An additional benefit of WOS is increased data reliability as the platform offers a choice of data protection capabilities through ObjectAssure™, which provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding to safeguard data with very high durability and availability at multiple locations. Since Deluxe teams need to quickly access content and turn content rapidly, having a disaster recovery copy that they can replicate selectively gives the company an active DR site for an extra level of protection and higher workflow efficiency.
Phil Mendelson, CTO of Deluxe Creative Services
- "DDN and ASG offer the best technology in their respective fields, so we're confident our integrated solution will represent the best-of-breed in active archiving and fast data movement. As we roll out the deployment, we'll bring all the elements together in a cohesive ecosystem."
- "We're getting great throughput on our WOS platform. Bandwidth rivals what we get on a tier-one SAN but at a much lower total cost of ownership."
- "We're under a lot of pressure to turn materials around rapidly, so we need maximum uptime and data availability. WOS provides a disaster recovery copy that we can replicate selectively, giving us an active DR site for an extra level of protection."
- We're always expanding, so we expect to see WOS grow to 6 PBS pretty quickly. DDN is helping us build a model that is as effective as SAN storage but far more economical and scalable—I believe object storage is the future of network storage."
- Read the Deluxe case study
- More on DDN WOS Global Object Storage
- Read Gartner's view on DDN WOS
- Read IDC's view on DDN WOS
- Read about DDN and ASG's partnership
- More DDN customers deploy WOS Object Storage
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Follow the #StorageForMedia hashtag to join the storage for media conversation
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc. is a global leader in media and entertainment services for film, video and online content, from capture to consumption.
Since 1915, Deluxe has been the trusted partner for the world's most successful Hollywood studios, independent film companies, TV networks, exhibitors, advertisers and others, offering best-in-class solutions in production, post production, distribution, asset and workflow management and new digital solution-based technologies.
With operations in Los Angeles, New York and around the globe, the company employs nearly 6,000 of the most talented, highly honored and recognized artists and industry veterans worldwide. Deluxe is a wholly owned subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc. For more information visit www.bydeluxe.com.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DataDirect Networks (DDN)
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 5, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 286
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Sep. 5, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,671
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Sep. 5, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 316
Puppet Labs is pleased to share the findings from our 2015 State of DevOps Survey. We have deepened our understanding of how DevOps enables IT performance and organizational performance, based on responses from more than 20,000 technical professionals we’ve surveyed over the past four years. The 2015 State of DevOps Report reveals high-performing IT organizations deploy 30x more frequently with 200x shorter lead times. They have 60x fewer failures and recover 168x faster
Sep. 5, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 157
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes ab...
Sep. 5, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 767
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 5, 2015 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,653
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as...
Sep. 5, 2015 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 185
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, will discuss how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the ...
Sep. 5, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 126
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Sep. 5, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 454
Even though you are running an agile development process, that doesn’t necessarily mean that your performance testing is being conducted in a truly agile way. Saving performance testing for a “final sprint” before release still treats it like a waterfall development step, with all the cost and risk that comes with that. In this post, we will show you how to make load testing happen early and often by putting SLAs on the agile task board.
Sep. 5, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 118
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 5, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 522
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Sep. 5, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 555
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 5, 2015 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,730
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 5, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 153
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Sep. 5, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 153