|By PR Newswire||
|April 7, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, April 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 NAB Show, Booth #SL8016
- Deluxe Creative Services has deployed DataDirect Networks (DDN) WOS® object storage to address the massive storage and seamless sharing of digital content requirements critical to the filmmaking process, anywhere in the world.
- Faced with exponential data growth and a need to better manage the delivery demands of its feature-film workload, Deluxe sought an improved storage architecture that would relieve pressure on its expensive tier-one SAN, reduce reliance on LTO tape, and scale more easily across its global footprint.
- Following a full and competitive evaluation, Deluxe Creative Services met this challenge by deploying DDN™ WOS global object storage that ensures the maximum performance and data availability needed to meet fast turnarounds and rigorous project demands of the post-production and actively accessed archive workflow from around the globe.
- Deluxe Creative Services, through its respective Company 3, EFILM, Method Studios, and Beast brands, has played an important role in many acclaimed films, including the 2014 Oscar winner for Best Picture, "12 Years a Slave," and other box-office hits, such as "Captain Phillips," "Wolverine" and "Rush."
- A multi-site post-production house with offices in Los Angeles, New York, London, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver and various other sites, Deluxe Creative Services operates a 24x7 business with remote teams working together to address all aspects of post-production. Ensuring fast turnaround of digital content by automating workflows throughout the post-production lifecycle is key to delivering content whenever and wherever it's needed.
- With one of the largest pools of colorists and visual effects specialists in the industry, Deluxe feature films produce 300-500 TBs of raw camera masters with up to 50 MBs per frame, depending on format – image, color and sound – all of which doubles in size with 3D shows, increasing frame rates and ultra high-definition resolution.
- To meet these rigorous environment demands, DDN delivers an integrated active archive solution for migrating, preserving and accessing billions of files containing rich media content in partnership with ASG Software Solutions, using WOS object storage with ObjectAssure™ erasure coding and ASG-Digital Archiving (ADA). Deluxe benefits from this solution with improved uptime and data availability but with significantly less overhead cost than traditional disk storage platforms.
DDN's 'Pure' Object Architecture Optimized for Geographically Distributed Workforce
- The fully integrated DDN and ASG solution is based on ADA, a High Performance File Archiving Software solution for large data volumes, and WOS distributed object-based storage technology. The WOS-ADA solution leverages ADA archiving and data movement capabilities in conjunction with the WOS high-scale storage capabilities, high performance read/write abilities, efficient disk utilization and geographic replication.
- Upon rethinking its storage architecture, Deluxe is implementing eight WOS nodes with a total of 720 TBs of storage and an ADA archiving platform powered by four data movers; the company expects to scale beyond six petabytes in order to keep pace with ongoing expansion and project demands.
- To deliver storage performance that rivals Deluxe's SAN yet scales globally, DDN architected the WOS solution without an underlying file system. This architecture enables Deluxe Creative Services to achieve performance that matches its tier-one storage yet expands easily across its geographically distributed environment to meet the needs of its remote teams.
- As WOS nodes are deployed around the globe, a boost in productivity is being experienced at each location because finding content now is much easier and requires less effort.
- An additional benefit of WOS is increased data reliability as the platform offers a choice of data protection capabilities through ObjectAssure™, which provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding to safeguard data with very high durability and availability at multiple locations. Since Deluxe teams need to quickly access content and turn content rapidly, having a disaster recovery copy that they can replicate selectively gives the company an active DR site for an extra level of protection and higher workflow efficiency.
Phil Mendelson, CTO of Deluxe Creative Services
- "DDN and ASG offer the best technology in their respective fields, so we're confident our integrated solution will represent the best-of-breed in active archiving and fast data movement. As we roll out the deployment, we'll bring all the elements together in a cohesive ecosystem."
- "We're getting great throughput on our WOS platform. Bandwidth rivals what we get on a tier-one SAN but at a much lower total cost of ownership."
- "We're under a lot of pressure to turn materials around rapidly, so we need maximum uptime and data availability. WOS provides a disaster recovery copy that we can replicate selectively, giving us an active DR site for an extra level of protection."
- We're always expanding, so we expect to see WOS grow to 6 PBS pretty quickly. DDN is helping us build a model that is as effective as SAN storage but far more economical and scalable—I believe object storage is the future of network storage."
- Read the Deluxe case study
- More on DDN WOS Global Object Storage
- Read Gartner's view on DDN WOS
- Read IDC's view on DDN WOS
- Read about DDN and ASG's partnership
- More DDN customers deploy WOS Object Storage
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Follow the #StorageForMedia hashtag to join the storage for media conversation
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc. is a global leader in media and entertainment services for film, video and online content, from capture to consumption.
Since 1915, Deluxe has been the trusted partner for the world's most successful Hollywood studios, independent film companies, TV networks, exhibitors, advertisers and others, offering best-in-class solutions in production, post production, distribution, asset and workflow management and new digital solution-based technologies.
With operations in Los Angeles, New York and around the globe, the company employs nearly 6,000 of the most talented, highly honored and recognized artists and industry veterans worldwide. Deluxe is a wholly owned subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc. For more information visit www.bydeluxe.com.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DataDirect Networks (DDN)
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,654
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 922
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 8, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,881
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 300
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 354
"Qosmos has launched L7Viewer, a network traffic analysis tool, so it analyzes all the traffic between the virtual machine and the data center and the virtual machine and the external world," stated Sebastien Synold, Product Line Manager at Qosmos, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 941
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 944
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,717
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,814
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 2,248
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,843
"We are a leader in the market space called network visibility solutions - it enables monitoring tools and Big Data analysis to access the data and be able to see the performance," explained Shay Morag, VP of Sales and Marketing at Niagara Networks, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 375
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,969
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 297
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,312