|By Marketwired .||
|April 7, 2014 10:41 AM EDT||
ATLANTA, GA--(Marketwired - April 07, 2014) - According to the CDC, 1.1 million people in the U.S. currently are living with HIV, and an additional 50,000 people become infected with HIV each year. Of those infected with HIV, more than 15,000 people die of AIDS each year in the U.S. In an effort to provide this community with qualified information and resources, Sharecare, the online health and wellness engagement platform created by Dr. Mehmet Oz and WebMD founder Jeff Arnold, today announced its Top 10 Social HealthMakers on HIV and AIDS, a list of the most influential experts leading online conversations about the often polarizing and controversial aspects associated with the varying stages of HIV.
- Bob Leahy: Diagnosed with HIV in 1993, Leahy has become an AIDS activist and is the editor of Positive Lite, Canada's globally-read digital HIV magazine by and for people living with HIV, while also writing for TheBody.com.
- Michael Carter: Diagnosed with HIV at the age of 24 in 1991, Carter is freelance editor at NAM, one of the world's leading sources of independent, accurate information on HIV and AIDS.
- Mark King: Since testing positive for HIV in 1985, King writes about living with HIV through his blog, My Fabulous Disease, which chronicles his life as an HIV-positive gay man recovering from substance abuse, writes for The Huffington Post and is the author of A Place Like This, his memoir of life in Los Angeles during the dawn of the AIDS epidemic.
- Aaron Laxton: Diagnosed with HIV in 2011, Laxton is the voice behind the HIV/AIDS Activism/Advocacy Report, a blog focused on addressing issues related to improving the quality of life for those living with HIV/AIDS, and My HIV Journey on TheBody.com.
- Winnie McCroy: Reporting on women's news, HIV health stories and HIV/AIDS research findings, McCroy is the national health and HIV editor at EDGE, the largest network of local lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender news and entertainment portals in the world, serving 1.1 million dedicated readers.
- Justin Terry-Smith: After testing HIV positive in 1999, Terry-Smith is one of the most public African Americans living with HIV, authoring his own blog, Justin's HIV Journal, and writing for TheBody.com.
- Rae Lewis-Thornton: Diagnosed with HIV at the age of 23 and presently having full-blown AIDS, Lewis-Thornton writes on her namesake blog and POZ, a leading print and online magazine for people living with HIV/AIDS. She also served as a contributing editor of a CBS series of first-person stories on living with AIDS, earning her an Emmy Award.
- Sean Strub: Diagnosed with HIV more than 33 years ago, Strub became the first openly HIV-positive person to run for the U.S. Congress in 1990. He has since gone on to create POZ and presently serves as the director of the Sero Project, a network of people with HIV fighting for freedom from stigma and injustice. His new book Body Counts: A Memoir of Politics, Sex, AIDS and Survival was released in January 2014.
- Liz Highleyman: Highleyman is a medical writer and the editor-in-chief of HIVandHepatitis.com, an educational resource providing news and information about HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C, and her writings can also be found on POZ.
- Mark Mascolini: Mascolini is a medical journalist who writes about HIV news, research and global policies for the International AIDS Society, the world's leading independent association of HIV professionals.
For more tips and tools for managing HIV and AIDS, go to https://www.sharecare.com/health/hiv-aids. Additionally, Sharecare has curated a list of featured experts who actively answer questions on the site about HIV and AIDS at https://www.sharecare.com/experts/hiv-aids.
Methodology: Sharecare Social HealthMakers are among the most influential people in health and wellness on the web, driving conversations on the leading edge of many health topics. They address a wide range of issues within specific topic areas while demonstrating consistent impact across multiple interactive channels -- such as Twitter, Facebook, videos and blogs. This impact is measured through a proprietary algorithm based on more than 100 individual metrics developed and powered by WCG, the leading digital marketing and communications agency, quantifying topic relevance, syndication, presence and reach. Earlier Sharecare lists have identified Social HealthMakers in multiple sclerosis, men's health, fitness, mental health, diabetes, nutrition and more.
Sharecare is a health and wellness engagement platform that helps people to live healthier lives by connecting them to personalized resources including local healthcare providers, high-quality information from experts, interactive programs and clinical decision support tools, including its iOS-exclusive app AskMD. The power behind Sharecare is a unique, social Q&A format that provides the collective wisdom of America's top experts -- greatly simplifying the search for health information -- and its scientifically-based health risk assessment, the RealAge® Test, taken by more than 33 million people and validated in peer-reviewed journal PLOS ONE as a more accurate predictor of mortality than calendar age and the Framingham Risk Score. Created by Jeff Arnold and Dr. Mehmet Oz in partnership with Harpo Productions, Sony Pictures Television and Discovery Communications, Sharecare allows people to ask, learn and act upon questions of health and wellness, creating an active community where knowledge is shared and put into practice -- simply said, sharing care. Launched in 2010, Sharecare is based in Atlanta.
Founded and led by chairman and CEO Jim Weiss, WCG is focused on integrated business solutions in the areas of innovation, change and growth for the world's leading companies and brands. WCG serves clients through a network of offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Austin, Los Angeles and London. For more than a decade, WCG's seasoned professionals have specialized in providing analytics, content, engagement and strategy to a diverse set of clients across the consumer, technology, healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.
The following files are available for download:
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,704
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,462
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,463
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,122
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,643
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,488
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,186
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,688
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 30, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,346
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 30, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,133
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,079
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,292
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,506
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,749
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-ti...
Jul. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,199