|By Business Wire||
|April 8, 2014 07:01 AM EDT||
Geostellar, America’s first and largest online solar marketplace, announced today that it is partnering with PENSCO Trust Company, a leading alternative asset custodian, to crowdfund capital for the marketplace through the Geostellar Solar Energy Market Growth Fund.
Leveraging the equity crowdfunding provisions of the Federal JOBS Act, accredited investors can now participate in the $1 million Geostellar campaign at Return on Change (ReturnOnChange.com/Geostellar), an equity crowdfunding platform for “triple bottom line” companies that value the positive societal and environmental benefits of their work along with the financial profits.
“Until recently, only professional, well-connected investors could participate in the financing of promising ventures,” said David Levine, CEO of Geostellar. “With this offering, we’re setting a new standard for the availability, transparency and accountability of private companies in the sale of tax-advantaged securities.”
Geostellar has quickly raised more than $600,000, surpassing the reserve set for the campaign. A unique variable cap on the promissory note conversion price, which values the company at two-times the amount of money raised in the offering, balances risk and reward for investors. The security offering also provides all investors with such customary terms as anti-dilution provisions and superior liquidation preferences that are typically negotiated by sophisticated investors. CrowdCheck, an investor protection company for crowdfunding and online investments, is performing corporate due diligence on Geostellar for the benefit of investors.
“As more and more investors look for products that are socially and environmentally responsible to generate income, self-directed IRAs have grown in popularity over the last few years as a way to invest in privately held companies,” said PENSCO CEO Kelly Rodriques. “As a result, we’ve seen an increase in the number of investors that are using self-directed IRAs to invest in alternative investments in areas like solar energy and private company stock. We are excited about our partnership with Geostellar on this offering.”
In addition, four energy and technology industry leaders have joined Geostellar’s Board of Directors to ensure accountability to all stakeholders and to uphold the highest standards of corporate governance. With the CEO of the company, David Levine, serving as Chairman, the Board now includes the following members:
- Paul Feldman is an experienced executive in the energy business and technology industry who currently serves as Director (past Chairman) of the Midwest ISO, which manages electricity generation, transmission, monitoring and optimization across utilities in the midwest US, Board Leadership Fellow for the National Association of Corporate Directors and Advisor to the US Department of Energy. Among other roles, Mr. Feldman has served as General Manager for Enterprise Products at Novell, CEO of Columbia Energy, CEO of Utilicorp Energy Services and Vice President at AT&T.
- Tracy McKibben is a seasoned financial strategist with over 15 years experience in the energy sector who currently serves as the President & CEO of MAC Energy Advisors and Partner at Sphaera Energy. Previously, Ms McKibben served as a Managing Director and Head of Environmental Strategies for Citigroup Global Markets and advised the President of the United States, the National Security Advisor and Cabinet Secretaries as the Acting Senior Director of the National Security Council the Director of European Economic Affairs and EU Relations for the National Security Council. Upon first entering government service, Ms McKibben was appointed Special Counsel to the US Department of Commerce by the Secretary of Commerce Donald Evans. She began her career practicing law as a corporate litigation counsel for Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld after earning her Juris Doctor at Harvard Law School.
- Scott Rotruck is a key leader of Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC’s Government Relations, Energy and Shale Gas Practice Groups as the Director of Energy & Transportation Services. Mr. Rotruck’s prior experience includes serving as Vice President of Corporate Development and State Government Relations at Chesapeake Energy, fifteen years as an executive with Anker Energy and CONSOL, ten years in the railroad industry with CSX and Norfolk Southern Corporation and service in higher education as the Economic Development Director and Senior Advisor to the President of West Virginia University, where he also taught entrepreneurship in the WVU College of Business and Economics.
- Howard Teich, Ph.D. is an organizational depth psychologist, leadership coach and group facilitator serving both emerging companies in the Bay Area and established enterprises such as Clorox, Intel, HP, Microsoft, SAP and Wells Fargo. Dr. Teich is in private practice as a therapist and is the author of Solar Light, Lunar Light, a seminal work on complementarity in archetypal consciousness. In addition to his doctorate in clinical psychology, Dr. Teich holds a masters degree in business from the University of Oregon.
“We are proud to host Geostellar’s crowdinvesting campaign on our platform,” said Sang Lee, CEO of Return on Change. “Geostellar’s disruptive technology in the fast-growing solar energy sector creates an appealing opportunity for our investor community.”
Federal securities law defines an accredited investor as one of the following:
- A natural person who has individual network, or joint net worth with the person’s spouse, that exceeds $1 million at the time of the purchase, excluding the value of the primary residence of such person.
- A natural person with income exceeding $200,000 in each of the two most recent years or a joint income with a spouse exceeding $300,000 for those years and a reasonable expectation of the same income level in the current year.
About $18 trillion are currently held in tax-qualified retirement accounts such as IRAs, 401(k)s and Roth IRAs. This represents an important new source of capital to finance the growth of socially and environmentally positive ventures, create jobs, fuel innovation and grow the economy. The funds raised in this equity crowdfunding campaign will be used to develop, release and promote the next generation of the Geostellar solar energy marketplace and Solar Mojo app for iOS, an important new multi-user platform that directly connects homeowners, community partners, solar providers and independent agents, scheduled for launch on May 22nd at the US Department of Energy SunShot Grand Challenge Summit 2014.
Geostellar is America’s first and largest online solar marketplace, helping homeowners secure the best deal on solar energy by comparing and tailoring a wide variety of installation and financing plans. Through advanced simulations on an intuitive social platform, Geostellar lowers the cost of solar, making it more competitive with conventional electricity. The result is more accessible, affordable and plentiful clean solar power for America. The company is the recipient of numerous awards, including selection as an IHS Energy Innovation Pioneer, the Global Cleantech100, the Global Cleantech Cluster Association’s Best of Solar and the AlwaysOn GoingGreen Global 200. Visit www.geostellar.com.
PENSCO Trust Company has been helping investors use their retirement account funds to invest in real estate, private equity and other non-exchange traded assets since 1989. As the industry’s premier self-directed IRA custodian, we know exactly what it takes to buy, hold and sell alternative assets in retirement accounts.
As the trusted custodian of over $10 Billion in assets, PENSCO works with over 50,000 clients across the U.S.
To learn more, visit www.pensco.com or call (855) 291-4733.
About Return on Change
Return on Change is an online crowdinvesting platform connecting startups and investors. Working with companies in the CleanTech, EdTech, Life Science, Tech, and Social Enterprise industries, their mission is simple- to efficiently connect entrepreneurs and investors through technology and crowdinvesting from front to back.
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,800
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jul. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,760
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,007
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,400
Big Data engines are powering a lot of service businesses right now. Data is collected from users from wearable technologies, web behaviors, purchase behavior as well as several arbitrary data points we’d never think of. The demand for faster and bigger engines to crunch and serve up the data to services is growing exponentially. You see a LOT of correlation between “Cloud” and “Big Data” but on Big Data and “Hybrid,” where hybrid hosting is the sanest approach to the Big Data Infrastructure pro...
Jul. 23, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,770
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., and Logan Best, Infrastructure & Network Engineer at Webair, focused on real world deployments of DDoS mitigation strategies in every layer of the network. He gave an overview of methods to prevent these attacks and best practices on how to provide protection in complex cloud platforms. He also outlined what we have found in our experience managing and running thousands of Linux and Unix ...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,652
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,859
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,421
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-ti...
Jul. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 837
"Software-defined storage is a big problem in this industry because so many people have different definitions as they see fit to use it," stated Peter McCallum, VP of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,336
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 23, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 772
With 15% of enterprises adopting a hybrid IT strategy, you need to set a plan to integrate hybrid cloud throughout your infrastructure. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steven Dreher, Director of Solutions Architecture at Green House Data, discussed how to plan for shifting resource requirements, overcome challenges, and implement hybrid IT alongside your existing data center assets. Highlights included anticipating workload, cost and resource calculations, integrating services on both sides...
Jul. 23, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,874
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yoseph Reuveni, Director of Software Engineering at Jet.com, will discuss Jet.com's journey into containerizing Microsoft-based technologies like C# and F# into Docker. He will talk about lessons learned and challenges faced, the Mono framework tryout and how they deployed everything into Azure cloud. Yoseph Reuveni is a technology leader with unique experience developing and running high throughput (over 1M tps) distributed systems with extre...
Jul. 23, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,985
"We are a well-established player in the application life cycle management market and we also have a very strong version control product," stated Flint Brenton, CEO of CollabNet,, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,709