|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 02:00 AM EDT||
- Analysis of G20 nations highlights shifts in emphasis
PHILADELPHIA, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Intellectual Property & Science business of Thomson Reuters, the world leader in providing intelligent information to businesses and professionals, today released The Research and Innovation Performance of the G20, a report that mines scientific research and patent information across the G20 for insights into the global strategies of the world's leading economies.
The study, which analyzed citation patterns in scientific research papers and the patent portfolios of the G20 over a ten-year-period, found that emerging markets, notably China and India, have made strides in closing the research and innovation gap with developed nations. The research also finds that while both emerging and developed nations have dramatically expanded the world's total research capacity over the last decade, the US and EU have begun to lose ground in total world share of new research. The US has also begun to show declines in total global influence of its research.
"As the dynamics of scientific research and innovation evolve around the world, the future picture of the global economy comes into focus," said Basil Moftah, president, Thomson Reuters IP & Science. "Thomson Reuters is uniquely poised, given our vast content, analytic tools and internal intellectual capital, to uncover such insights and provide valuable perspectives to governments, corporations and institutions around the world."
Following are some of the key findings:
- Leaders' Landscape Shifts: The one-time giants of global research and innovation have begun to lose ground. The world share of scientific research papers from the US has fallen from 33 percent in 2003 to 27.8 percent in 2012, while the EU has declined 3 percent over the same period. Additionally, while domestic patent volume has grown steadily from 2003 to 2012 in the US and Europe by annual rates of 2 percent and 1.4 percent respectively, the Chinese rate of growth dwarfs those figures at 29 percent. Also of note, American innovation accounts for 56 percent of all US patent applications, down from 63 percent in 2003, and seven of the top ten patenting companies in the US have headquarters in Asia.
- Peer-Reviewed Papers Spike in China and India: Chinese peer-reviewed papers accounted for 14 percent of the world's share in 2012, up from: 5.6 percent in 2002 and < 0.5 percent at the start of the 1980s. India produced twice as many published research papers in 2012 as it did in 2003.
- Australia, France and Great Britain Show Strongest Gains in Scientific Influence among Developed Nations: Senior research producers, such as Australia, France and Great Britain, recorded significantly higher rates in their production of highly cited research papers between 2002 and 2011, while the US was the only major developed nation to lose ground over the same period by this measure.
- Physical Science and Chemistry Drive Chinese Innovation: Central to China's surge in scientific output has been the country's increased focus in physical sciences – particularly materials science, chemistry and physics. In these fields, along with engineering, mathematics, and geosciences, China recorded its largest shares of the world's highly cited papers in the period between 2002 and 2011. China also increased its invention patent applications from 40,000 in 2003 to over 400,000 in 2012, partly due to the government's concentration on domestic innovation. Forty-five percent of the world's natural products and 43 percent of its engineering inventions come from China, whereas just 5.25 percent of the globe's digital computer inventions originate there.
- India's Research Citation Influence Lags Output, Patents Volumes Remain Volatile: Over the last ten years, India has increased its production of scientific research by some 146 percent and now accounts for 3.6 percent of the total world share of research production. However, the country's contribution of highly cited papers as a percentage of total output has remained comparatively low. Patent activity in the region has oscillated between 4,000 and 7,000 patents per year since data became widely available in 2005, but two thirds of all Indian patent applications are from foreign concerns seeking protection for their inventions in India.
"This study is further proof of the globalization of science and innovation; it is not just a trend, the movement is here to stay," said Gordon Macomber, managing director for Thomson Reuters Scientific and Scholarly Research. "It also demonstrates the role scientific research and innovation play within the global economy."
"Within the G20 nations, there is a strong correlation between research activity and economic output," said David Brown, managing director for Thomson Reuters IP Solutions. "Scientific research leads to patents, and although the patent review process can stretch up to seven years, both activities are used over the long term as proxies for innovation."
The full report, Research and Innovation Performance of the G20, provides detailed snapshots of research citation and patent filing metrics for each G20 nation, along with a detailed commentary on key trends shaping the research and innovation agenda in each region. Data for this report were compiled using Thomson Reuters Web of Science™, InCites™ and Derwent World Patents Index®.
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization. For more information, go to www.thomsonreuters.com.
“RackN is a software company and we take how a hybrid infrastructure scenario, which consists of clouds, virtualization, traditional data center technologies - how to make them all work together seamlessly from an operational perspective,” stated Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 24, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 3,661
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 24, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,731
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,392
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,920
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,278
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 24, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,020
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 24, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 4,498
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,741
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 5,930
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,740
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 11,749
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 6,534
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,878
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 24, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 3,079
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 24, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 4,837