|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 02:00 AM EDT||
PHILADELPHIA, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Intellectual Property & Science business of Thomson Reuters, the world leader in providing intelligent information to businesses and professionals, today released The Research and Innovation Performance of the G20, a report that mines scientific research and patent information across the G20 for insights into the global strategies of the world's leading economies.
The study, which analyzed citation patterns in scientific research papers and the patent portfolios of the G20 over a ten-year-period, found that emerging markets, notably China and India, have made strides in closing the research and innovation gap with developed nations. The research also finds that while both emerging and developed nations have dramatically expanded the world's total research capacity over the last decade, the US and EU have begun to lose ground in total world share of new research. The US has also begun to show declines in total global influence of its research.
"As the dynamics of scientific research and innovation evolve around the world, the future picture of the global economy comes into focus," said Basil Moftah, president, Thomson Reuters IP & Science. "Thomson Reuters is uniquely poised, given our vast content, analytic tools and internal intellectual capital, to uncover such insights and provide valuable perspectives to governments, corporations and institutions around the world."
Following are some of the key findings:
- Leaders' Landscape Shifts: The one-time giants of global research and innovation have begun to lose ground. The world share of scientific research papers from the US has fallen from 33 percent in 2003 to 27.8 percent in 2012, while the EU has declined 3 percent over the same period. Additionally, while domestic patent volume has grown steadily from 2003 to 2012 in the US and Europe by annual rates of 2 percent and 1.4 percent respectively, the Chinese rate of growth dwarfs those figures at 29 percent. Also of note, American innovation accounts for 56 percent of all US patent applications, down from 63 percent in 2003, and seven of the top ten patenting companies in the US have headquarters in Asia.
- Peer-Reviewed Papers Spike in China and India: Chinese peer-reviewed papers accounted for 14 percent of the world's share in 2012, up from: 5.6 percent in 2002 and < 0.5 percent at the start of the 1980s. India produced twice as many published research papers in 2012 as it did in 2003.
- Australia, France and Great Britain Show Strongest Gains in Scientific Influence among Developed Nations: Senior research producers, such as Australia, France and Great Britain, recorded significantly higher rates in their production of highly cited research papers between 2002 and 2011, while the US was the only major developed nation to lose ground over the same period by this measure.
- Physical Science and Chemistry Drive Chinese Innovation: Central to China's surge in scientific output has been the country's increased focus in physical sciences – particularly materials science, chemistry and physics. In these fields, along with engineering, mathematics, and geosciences, China recorded its largest shares of the world's highly cited papers in the period between 2002 and 2011. China also increased its invention patent applications from 40,000 in 2003 to over 400,000 in 2012, partly due to the government's concentration on domestic innovation. Forty-five percent of the world's natural products and 43 percent of its engineering inventions come from China, whereas just 5.25 percent of the globe's digital computer inventions originate there.
- India's Research Citation Influence Lags Output, Patents Volumes Remain Volatile: Over the last ten years, India has increased its production of scientific research by some 146 percent and now accounts for 3.6 percent of the total world share of research production. However, the country's contribution of highly cited papers as a percentage of total output has remained comparatively low. Patent activity in the region has oscillated between 4,000 and 7,000 patents per year since data became widely available in 2005, but two thirds of all Indian patent applications are from foreign concerns seeking protection for their inventions in India.
"This study is further proof of the globalization of science and innovation; it is not just a trend, the movement is here to stay," said Gordon Macomber, managing director for Thomson Reuters Scientific and Scholarly Research. "It also demonstrates the role scientific research and innovation play within the global economy."
"Within the G20 nations, there is a strong correlation between research activity and economic output," said David Brown, managing director for Thomson Reuters IP Solutions. "Scientific research leads to patents, and although the patent review process can stretch up to seven years, both activities are used over the long term as proxies for innovation."
The full report, Research and Innovation Performance of the G20, provides detailed snapshots of research citation and patent filing metrics for each G20 nation, along with a detailed commentary on key trends shaping the research and innovation agenda in each region. Data for this report were compiled using Thomson Reuters Web of Science™, InCites™ and Derwent World Patents Index®.
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization. For more information, go to www.thomsonreuters.com.
SOURCE Thomson Reuters
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,146
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,200
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,672
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 22, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,269
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,073
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,903
VeriStor Systems has announced that CRN has named VeriStor to its 2017 Managed Service Provider (MSP) 500 list in the Elite 150 category. This annual list recognizes North American solution providers with cutting-edge approaches to delivering managed services. Their offerings help companies navigate the complex and ever-changing landscape of IT, improve operational efficiencies, and maximize their return on IT investments. In today’s fast-paced business environments, MSPs play an important role...
Mar. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,769
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 22, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 759
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,115
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 747
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 500
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,197
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,145
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,347
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 797