|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
ITN Productions and the Association of British Dispensing Opticians joined forces to create a dedicated news programme called EYE TV News that premiered at this year's ABDO Conference and Exhibition. The aim is to develop eye health services and within that, promote the benefits of professional eye care. As ABDO general secretary, Sir Tony Garrett, expresses: "2 million people in the country are blind and a million of those cases were preventable." The news programme will provide a unified voice for the sector and allow the industry to better communicate the vital role that opticians play in public health.
The programme covers the latest topics in eye care, reveals innovative technologies, and features leadership interviews and professional comments:
- ABDO highlight the importance of clear eyesight for children's development and learning.
- ABDO College showcases how they are training the next generation of dispensing opticians to adapt to a changing sector.
- An interview with low vision expert Jennifer Brower discusses how she's helping those with the condition.
- Peter Black, ABDO President urging regular eye health checks for children. He also outlines the valuable role and complex requirements of a dispensing optician.
- Professor Mo Jalie talks about the latest developments in eye health,
- BBR's Managing Director Nick Rumney discusses the scope of practice in eye health and the changing role of optometrists.
- Professor Darren Shickle discusses awareness and the relationship between public health and eye health.
- There are exciting developments in contact lenses, according to Angela McNamee and Keith Cavaye.
- Driving footfall and being competitive are the key for independent opticians, says Paul Surridge.
- According to Tony Garrett more needs to be done to look at preventing blindness in the community.
- Eye tests can reveal much more about your health, and save lives, according to Jo Holmes.
To see the rest of the programme and more exclusive content from the industry's leading organisations, including highlights from ABDO 2014 conference, please visit the ITN Healthcare News channel.
If you missed EYE TV News that premiered at the 2014 ABDO conference, please visit our Healthcare News site for the following reports from leaders in the field:
- Alcon is the eye care division of the pharmaceutical giant Novartis, which is investing £4 billion pounds in R&D over the next five years.
- Bradford College is an outstanding provider of industry tailored training for the eye health sector which is celebrating the past 60 years in providing the best ophthalmic dispensing training in the north of England.
- CooperVision is one of the world's leading manufacturers of contact lenses and their mission is to support the practitioners with awareness campaigns and business support programmes that focus on patient retention and loyalty.
- Essilor showcases their latest 'Prevencia' coated lenses that protect patients from harmful blue light from laptops, computers, mobile devices and energy saving light bulbs.
- The Fife Society for the Blind are experts in visual loss and they are using their expertise to help people in the local area lead higher quality lives due to training, products and the services they offer.
- Kirk Originals is making a fresh new move on the market as a genuine British brand offering glasses that are true luxury accessories, expertly designed and hand-crafted by real craftspeople who have worked their way to the pinnacle of their profession.
- London Eye Hospital Pharma is introducing new technologies to the UK and to the world, like the Light Adjustable Lens, diabetic Retinal Rejuvenation Therapy and Femto laser cataract surgery - which creates a 3D micron-level scan of the eye then dissolves the cataract in just 30 seconds, without blades or stitches.
- Moorfields Pharmaceuticals is educating the general public, opticians and the CCGs on the benefits of early detection and treatment of dry eye.
- Independent opticians often struggle to keep up with large chains if they allow their computer systems to fall behind the rest of the market. In response, optical retail software developer, Ocuco is offering innovative technology and a suite of competitive tools that enables customers to retain their patients and grow their market share.
- It is Silhouette's 50th anniversary, and with that milestone it's time to work towards the next shift in eyewear fashion.
- TopCon is taking leaps in technology from existing fundus camera technology that demonstrates how health problems (not just those of the eye) can be detected.
- TRB Chemedica is educating opticians on dry-eye to raise awareness of VISMED eye drops, which offer relief from the discomfort caused by dry-eye. Many people suffering with dry-eye find themselves waiting long periods of time for treatment as the condition is not always fully understood by GPs.
About Healthcare News: Healthcare News is the latest industry-specific channel from ITN Productions' corporate production team, which works with trade bodies and associations to deliver high-quality news programming for individual vertical business sectors, producing videos about key industry topics, sharing best practice and updating on industry developments.
About ITN Productions: ITN Productions is ITN's central creative hub producing content for major global brands in the broadcast, online, mobile and corporate sectors.
About the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO): The ABDO Annual Conference and Exhibition took place on the 30th and 31st March 2014 at the Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth. ABDO is the main professional association for opticians in the UK which represents over 5,700 qualified dispensing opticians in the UK.
To learn more about the programme productions and/or enquire about ABDO please get in touch:
Healthcare News enquiries:
Head of Industry News
Email: [email protected]
For media enquiries about the ABDO conference please contact:
Michael R Potter FBDO
Head of Marketing and Communications
Association of British Dispensing Opticians
Email: [email protected]
Wooed by the promise of faster innovation, lower TCO, and greater agility, businesses of every shape and size have embraced the cloud at every layer of the IT stack – from apps to file sharing to infrastructure. The typical organization currently uses more than a dozen sanctioned cloud apps and will shift more than half of all workloads to the cloud by 2018. Such cloud investments have delivered measurable benefits. But they’ve also resulted in some unintended side-effects: complexity and risk. ...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 1,593
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Robert Doyle, lead architect at eCube Systems, will examine the issues and need for an agile infrastructure and show the advantages of capturing developer knowledge in an exportable file for migration into production. He will introduce the use of NXTmonitor, a next-generation DevOps tool that captures application environments, dependencies and start/stop procedures in a portable configuration file with an easy-to-use GUI. In addition to captur...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 3,446
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Feb. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,314
SYS-CON Events announced today that Conference Guru has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. A valuable conference experience generates new contacts, sales leads, potential strategic partners and potential investors; helps gather competitive intelligence and even provides inspiration for new products and services. Conference Guru works with conference organizers to pass great dea...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,921
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, discussed DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He also covered various styles and...
Feb. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 3,344
Feb. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 7,560
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 24, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,862
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Feb. 24, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 461
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 24, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 730
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his general session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore...
Feb. 24, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 773
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, ...
Feb. 24, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 4,714
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 24, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 5,484
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Feb. 24, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 891
Both SaaS vendors and SaaS buyers are going “all-in” to hyperscale IaaS platforms such as AWS, which is disrupting the SaaS value proposition. Why should the enterprise SaaS consumer pay for the SaaS service if their data is resident in adjacent AWS S3 buckets? If both SaaS sellers and buyers are using the same cloud tools, automation and pay-per-transaction model offered by IaaS platforms, then why not host the “shrink-wrapped” software in the customers’ cloud? Further, serverless computing, cl...
Feb. 24, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,995
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 24, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 3,828