|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
ITN Productions and the Association of British Dispensing Opticians joined forces to create a dedicated news programme called EYE TV News that premiered at this year's ABDO Conference and Exhibition. The aim is to develop eye health services and within that, promote the benefits of professional eye care. As ABDO general secretary, Sir Tony Garrett, expresses: "2 million people in the country are blind and a million of those cases were preventable." The news programme will provide a unified voice for the sector and allow the industry to better communicate the vital role that opticians play in public health.
The programme covers the latest topics in eye care, reveals innovative technologies, and features leadership interviews and professional comments:
- ABDO highlight the importance of clear eyesight for children's development and learning.
- ABDO College showcases how they are training the next generation of dispensing opticians to adapt to a changing sector.
- An interview with low vision expert Jennifer Brower discusses how she's helping those with the condition.
- Peter Black, ABDO President urging regular eye health checks for children. He also outlines the valuable role and complex requirements of a dispensing optician.
- Professor Mo Jalie talks about the latest developments in eye health,
- BBR's Managing Director Nick Rumney discusses the scope of practice in eye health and the changing role of optometrists.
- Professor Darren Shickle discusses awareness and the relationship between public health and eye health.
- There are exciting developments in contact lenses, according to Angela McNamee and Keith Cavaye.
- Driving footfall and being competitive are the key for independent opticians, says Paul Surridge.
- According to Tony Garrett more needs to be done to look at preventing blindness in the community.
- Eye tests can reveal much more about your health, and save lives, according to Jo Holmes.
To see the rest of the programme and more exclusive content from the industry's leading organisations, including highlights from ABDO 2014 conference, please visit the ITN Healthcare News channel.
If you missed EYE TV News that premiered at the 2014 ABDO conference, please visit our Healthcare News site for the following reports from leaders in the field:
- Alcon is the eye care division of the pharmaceutical giant Novartis, which is investing £4 billion pounds in R&D over the next five years.
- Bradford College is an outstanding provider of industry tailored training for the eye health sector which is celebrating the past 60 years in providing the best ophthalmic dispensing training in the north of England.
- CooperVision is one of the world's leading manufacturers of contact lenses and their mission is to support the practitioners with awareness campaigns and business support programmes that focus on patient retention and loyalty.
- Essilor showcases their latest 'Prevencia' coated lenses that protect patients from harmful blue light from laptops, computers, mobile devices and energy saving light bulbs.
- The Fife Society for the Blind are experts in visual loss and they are using their expertise to help people in the local area lead higher quality lives due to training, products and the services they offer.
- Kirk Originals is making a fresh new move on the market as a genuine British brand offering glasses that are true luxury accessories, expertly designed and hand-crafted by real craftspeople who have worked their way to the pinnacle of their profession.
- London Eye Hospital Pharma is introducing new technologies to the UK and to the world, like the Light Adjustable Lens, diabetic Retinal Rejuvenation Therapy and Femto laser cataract surgery - which creates a 3D micron-level scan of the eye then dissolves the cataract in just 30 seconds, without blades or stitches.
- Moorfields Pharmaceuticals is educating the general public, opticians and the CCGs on the benefits of early detection and treatment of dry eye.
- Independent opticians often struggle to keep up with large chains if they allow their computer systems to fall behind the rest of the market. In response, optical retail software developer, Ocuco is offering innovative technology and a suite of competitive tools that enables customers to retain their patients and grow their market share.
- It is Silhouette's 50th anniversary, and with that milestone it's time to work towards the next shift in eyewear fashion.
- TopCon is taking leaps in technology from existing fundus camera technology that demonstrates how health problems (not just those of the eye) can be detected.
- TRB Chemedica is educating opticians on dry-eye to raise awareness of VISMED eye drops, which offer relief from the discomfort caused by dry-eye. Many people suffering with dry-eye find themselves waiting long periods of time for treatment as the condition is not always fully understood by GPs.
About Healthcare News: Healthcare News is the latest industry-specific channel from ITN Productions' corporate production team, which works with trade bodies and associations to deliver high-quality news programming for individual vertical business sectors, producing videos about key industry topics, sharing best practice and updating on industry developments.
About ITN Productions: ITN Productions is ITN's central creative hub producing content for major global brands in the broadcast, online, mobile and corporate sectors.
About the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO): The ABDO Annual Conference and Exhibition took place on the 30th and 31st March 2014 at the Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth. ABDO is the main professional association for opticians in the UK which represents over 5,700 qualified dispensing opticians in the UK.
To learn more about the programme productions and/or enquire about ABDO please get in touch:
Healthcare News enquiries:
Head of Industry News
Email: [email protected]
For media enquiries about the ABDO conference please contact:
Michael R Potter FBDO
Head of Marketing and Communications
Association of British Dispensing Opticians
Email: [email protected]
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 8, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 2,158
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2017 New York The 7th Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. Chris Matthieu is the co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, a revolutionary real-time IoT platform recently acquired by Citrix. Octoblu connects things, systems, people and clouds to a global mesh network allowing users to automate and control design flo...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 722
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 927
With 15% of enterprises adopting a hybrid IT strategy, you need to set a plan to integrate hybrid cloud throughout your infrastructure. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steven Dreher, Director of Solutions Architecture at Green House Data, discussed how to plan for shifting resource requirements, overcome challenges, and implement hybrid IT alongside your existing data center assets. Highlights included anticipating workload, cost and resource calculations, integrating services on both sides...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 3,792
Unless your company can spend a lot of money on new technology, re-engineering your environment and hiring a comprehensive cybersecurity team, you will most likely move to the cloud or seek external service partnerships. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Darren Guccione, CEO of Keeper Security, revealed what you need to know when it comes to encryption in the cloud.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 4,812
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 1,029
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 8, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 1,296
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,115
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 AM EST Reads: 1,407
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 1,922
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 3,956
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 8, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,123
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 8, 2016 12:15 AM EST Reads: 1,347
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 7, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 875
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,196