|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
ITN Productions and the Association of British Dispensing Opticians joined forces to create a dedicated news programme called EYE TV News that premiered at this year's ABDO Conference and Exhibition. The aim is to develop eye health services and within that, promote the benefits of professional eye care. As ABDO general secretary, Sir Tony Garrett, expresses: "2 million people in the country are blind and a million of those cases were preventable." The news programme will provide a unified voice for the sector and allow the industry to better communicate the vital role that opticians play in public health.
The programme covers the latest topics in eye care, reveals innovative technologies, and features leadership interviews and professional comments:
- ABDO highlight the importance of clear eyesight for children's development and learning.
- ABDO College showcases how they are training the next generation of dispensing opticians to adapt to a changing sector.
- An interview with low vision expert Jennifer Brower discusses how she's helping those with the condition.
- Peter Black, ABDO President urging regular eye health checks for children. He also outlines the valuable role and complex requirements of a dispensing optician.
- Professor Mo Jalie talks about the latest developments in eye health,
- BBR's Managing Director Nick Rumney discusses the scope of practice in eye health and the changing role of optometrists.
- Professor Darren Shickle discusses awareness and the relationship between public health and eye health.
- There are exciting developments in contact lenses, according to Angela McNamee and Keith Cavaye.
- Driving footfall and being competitive are the key for independent opticians, says Paul Surridge.
- According to Tony Garrett more needs to be done to look at preventing blindness in the community.
- Eye tests can reveal much more about your health, and save lives, according to Jo Holmes.
To see the rest of the programme and more exclusive content from the industry's leading organisations, including highlights from ABDO 2014 conference, please visit the ITN Healthcare News channel.
If you missed EYE TV News that premiered at the 2014 ABDO conference, please visit our Healthcare News site for the following reports from leaders in the field:
- Alcon is the eye care division of the pharmaceutical giant Novartis, which is investing £4 billion pounds in R&D over the next five years.
- Bradford College is an outstanding provider of industry tailored training for the eye health sector which is celebrating the past 60 years in providing the best ophthalmic dispensing training in the north of England.
- CooperVision is one of the world's leading manufacturers of contact lenses and their mission is to support the practitioners with awareness campaigns and business support programmes that focus on patient retention and loyalty.
- Essilor showcases their latest 'Prevencia' coated lenses that protect patients from harmful blue light from laptops, computers, mobile devices and energy saving light bulbs.
- The Fife Society for the Blind are experts in visual loss and they are using their expertise to help people in the local area lead higher quality lives due to training, products and the services they offer.
- Kirk Originals is making a fresh new move on the market as a genuine British brand offering glasses that are true luxury accessories, expertly designed and hand-crafted by real craftspeople who have worked their way to the pinnacle of their profession.
- London Eye Hospital Pharma is introducing new technologies to the UK and to the world, like the Light Adjustable Lens, diabetic Retinal Rejuvenation Therapy and Femto laser cataract surgery - which creates a 3D micron-level scan of the eye then dissolves the cataract in just 30 seconds, without blades or stitches.
- Moorfields Pharmaceuticals is educating the general public, opticians and the CCGs on the benefits of early detection and treatment of dry eye.
- Independent opticians often struggle to keep up with large chains if they allow their computer systems to fall behind the rest of the market. In response, optical retail software developer, Ocuco is offering innovative technology and a suite of competitive tools that enables customers to retain their patients and grow their market share.
- It is Silhouette's 50th anniversary, and with that milestone it's time to work towards the next shift in eyewear fashion.
- TopCon is taking leaps in technology from existing fundus camera technology that demonstrates how health problems (not just those of the eye) can be detected.
- TRB Chemedica is educating opticians on dry-eye to raise awareness of VISMED eye drops, which offer relief from the discomfort caused by dry-eye. Many people suffering with dry-eye find themselves waiting long periods of time for treatment as the condition is not always fully understood by GPs.
About Healthcare News: Healthcare News is the latest industry-specific channel from ITN Productions' corporate production team, which works with trade bodies and associations to deliver high-quality news programming for individual vertical business sectors, producing videos about key industry topics, sharing best practice and updating on industry developments.
About ITN Productions: ITN Productions is ITN's central creative hub producing content for major global brands in the broadcast, online, mobile and corporate sectors.
About the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO): The ABDO Annual Conference and Exhibition took place on the 30th and 31st March 2014 at the Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth. ABDO is the main professional association for opticians in the UK which represents over 5,700 qualified dispensing opticians in the UK.
To learn more about the programme productions and/or enquire about ABDO please get in touch:
Healthcare News enquiries:
Head of Industry News
Email: [email protected]
For media enquiries about the ABDO conference please contact:
Michael R Potter FBDO
Head of Marketing and Communications
Association of British Dispensing Opticians
Email: [email protected]
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 30, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 362
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 426
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 432
Most of the IoT Gateway scenarios involve collecting data from machines/processing and pushing data upstream to cloud for further analytics. The gateway hardware varies from Raspberry Pi to Industrial PCs. The document states the process of allowing deploying polyglot data pipelining software with the clear notion of supporting immutability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Shashank Jain, a development architect for SAP Labs, discussed the objective, which is to automate the IoT deployment proces...
Nov. 30, 2015 01:12 PM EST
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 537
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 30, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 342
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 30, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 288
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry – resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time. In his general session at 17th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, an IBM Company, broke down what we have to work with, discussed the benefits and pitfalls and how we can best use them ...
Nov. 30, 2015 11:45 AM EST
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 217
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 30, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 462
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Nov. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EST Reads: 353
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now ...
Nov. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 290
The cloud. Like a comic book superhero, there seems to be no problem it can’t fix or cost it can’t slash. Yet making the transition is not always easy and production environments are still largely on premise. Taking some practical and sensible steps to reduce risk can also help provide a basis for a successful cloud transition. A plethora of surveys from the likes of IDG and Gartner show that more than 70 percent of enterprises have deployed at least one or more cloud application or workload. Y...
Nov. 30, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 506
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud, to a world of hybrid cloud, and to a world dominated by the APIs that make today's multi-cloud environments and hybrid clouds possible. In this Power Panel at 17th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the importance of customers being able to use the specific technologies they need, through environments and ecosystems that expose their APIs to make true ...
Nov. 30, 2015 08:00 AM EST Reads: 565
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Nov. 30, 2015 07:00 AM EST Reads: 383