|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 02:27 PM EDT||
STRATHAM, N.H., April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Timberland released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) performance data. The brand first started reporting annual CSR data in 2001. Timberland's persistent commitment to reduce its impact on the environment, while at the same time creating positive impact within its supply chain and in communities worldwide, yielded many notable strides in 2013.
Timberland's 2013 CSR Report presents data against four key pillars identified as priorities for the brand: product, climate, factories and service. From closing in on its one millionth volunteer service hour, to increasing the use of recycled, organic or renewable materials in its products, 2013 highlights include:
PRODUCT– bringing sustainable style to new heights through increased use of eco-conscious materials.
- In 2013, 70% of Timberland® footwear incorporated recycled, organic or renewable (ROR) materials.
- Ninety-eight percent (98%) of footwear leather volume was sourced from Silver or Gold-rated tanneries, as rated by the Leather Working Group, an independent group of tanneries and footwear brands that has established a protocol to assess the compliance and environmental performance of tanneries, and to promote sustainable and appropriate environmental business practices within the footwear leather industry.
- Rubber is one of the heaviest and most impactful materials in footwear; Green Rubber™ outsoles reduce that impact by substituting virgin rubber with 42% post-industrial recycled latex. In 2013, Timberland expanded the use of Green Rubber™ material across its product lines. Through 2013, the brand has produced over 13 million pairs of Green Rubber outsoles using 4 million pounds of recycled rubber. That's up from 9 million pairs and 2.8 million pounds of recycled rubber through 2012 year-end.
- In 2013, Timberland diverted another 50 million plastic bottles from landfills – bringing the total to 128 million -- through the use of recycled PET in its footwear product lines. This reflects a 64% increase year-over-year.
CLIMATE – new carbon reporting structure elevated to parent company in 2013.
- In 2013, the management and tracking of the carbon emissions associated with owned and operated facilities was transitioned to Timberland's parent company, VF Corporation.
- In this new reporting structure, data related to Timberland's emissions will be reported separately in May.
FACTORIES – striving to have a positive impact on the communities in which we work.
- In 2013, Timberland furthered its "beyond compliance, beyond factory walls" approach to social and environmental impacts in its supply chain through a variety of projects promoting the welfare of employees and their communities.
- 2013 projects included a community child care center in India, financial literacy programs in India and health awareness programs in Bangladesh.
- Timberland continued to utilize Social Accountability International's (SAI's) Social Fingerprint tool for benchmarking and guiding factories in developing best-in-class social/labor management systems. Seventy percent (70%) of Timberland's global footwear and apparel production was sourced from factories meeting "Level 3" criteria of SAI's benchmark, exceeding the brand's goal of 51%.
SERVICE – pulling on our boots to make a difference around the globe; one million hours in our sights.
- Timberland closed out 2013 approaching a major volunteerism milestone – its one-millionth service hour served by employees. Timberland's Path of Service™ program was launched in 1992; as of December 31, 2013, Timberland employees around the world had volunteered a cumulative total of 992,264 service hours. The brand expects to achieve its one-millionth service hour this spring, in concert with its Earth Day service events.
- Around the globe, thousands of Timberland employees completed 65,388 hours of community service in 2013, many of which were dedicated to the company's two major service events – Serv-a-palooza (Timberland's annual global community service event) and Earth Day.
- Timberland made significant strides toward its goal of planting 5 million trees by 2015. Since setting this goal in 2010, the brand has supported the planting of 4.5 million trees. In 2013 alone, Timberland employees and business partners planted 1,042,485 trees.
- Timberland's emphasis on volunteerism is part of its 20-year tradition of giving employees up to 40 hours of paid time each year to engage in community service.
"As a brand, Timberland evaluates itself against the positive impacts we can make on the world," said Patrik Frisk, president of Timberland. "Environmental stewardship, which is our heritage, is a huge part of this - but we are also pleased with the progress we made last year within our factory communities, our sustainable supply chain and through community service projects. Of course, we always strive to do better, and our goal is to raise the bar and create even deeper impact in 2014."
Given Timberland's vision of being the largest, most sustainable outdoor lifestyle brand on earth, a key area of focus for 2014 will be continuing to innovate on the product side, increasing its use of recycled, organic and renewable materials across all categories, while also delivering the versatile styling today's consumers demand. Timberland will also continue to identify opportunities to enrich the lives of its factory workers and communities; just last month, the brand partnered with Planet Water to install two water towers in the Dominican Republic, providing much-needed clean drinking water to thousands of local workers and community members.
"The push to create sustainable impacts across our business and the communities in which we operate around the world is deeply engrained in Timberland's strategic vision," added Frisk. "Putting our values into action is never siloed and is never a one-off. As we grow as a brand, in my eyes that creates more opportunity for us to do more good. I extend my thanks to our teams and business partners worldwide who, with their service and commitment, have helped make this vision a reality."
To see the full 2013 results, visit http://responsibility.timberland.com/reporting/goals-and-progress.
Timberland, a wholly owned subsidiary of VF Corporation, is a global leader in the design, engineering and marketing of premium-quality footwear, apparel and accessories for consumers who value the outdoors and their time in it. Timberland markets products under the Timberland®, Timberland PRO®, and Timberland Boot Company® brands, all of which offer quality workmanship and detailing and are built to withstand the elements of nature. The company's products can be found in leading department and specialty stores as well as Timberland® retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, South America, South Africa and the Middle East. Timberland's dedication to making quality products is matched by the company's commitment to "doing well and doing good" -- forging powerful partnerships among employees, consumers and service partners to transform the communities in which they live and work. To learn more about Timberland, please visit www.timberland.com.
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,089
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,004
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:28 PM EST Reads: 134
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2017 New York The 7th Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. Chris Matthieu is the co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, a revolutionary real-time IoT platform recently acquired by Citrix. Octoblu connects things, systems, people and clouds to a global mesh network allowing users to automate and control design flo...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:54 AM EST Reads: 110
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 302
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,015
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 426
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 570
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 964
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU's GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes. In...
Dec. 6, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,175
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 545
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 6, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 2,146
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 6, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 3,968
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Dec. 6, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 5,819
"Qosmos has launched L7Viewer, a network traffic analysis tool, so it analyzes all the traffic between the virtual machine and the data center and the virtual machine and the external world," stated Sebastien Synold, Product Line Manager at Qosmos, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 713