|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 02:27 PM EDT||
STRATHAM, N.H., April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Timberland released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) performance data. The brand first started reporting annual CSR data in 2001. Timberland's persistent commitment to reduce its impact on the environment, while at the same time creating positive impact within its supply chain and in communities worldwide, yielded many notable strides in 2013.
Timberland's 2013 CSR Report presents data against four key pillars identified as priorities for the brand: product, climate, factories and service. From closing in on its one millionth volunteer service hour, to increasing the use of recycled, organic or renewable materials in its products, 2013 highlights include:
PRODUCT– bringing sustainable style to new heights through increased use of eco-conscious materials.
- In 2013, 70% of Timberland® footwear incorporated recycled, organic or renewable (ROR) materials.
- Ninety-eight percent (98%) of footwear leather volume was sourced from Silver or Gold-rated tanneries, as rated by the Leather Working Group, an independent group of tanneries and footwear brands that has established a protocol to assess the compliance and environmental performance of tanneries, and to promote sustainable and appropriate environmental business practices within the footwear leather industry.
- Rubber is one of the heaviest and most impactful materials in footwear; Green Rubber™ outsoles reduce that impact by substituting virgin rubber with 42% post-industrial recycled latex. In 2013, Timberland expanded the use of Green Rubber™ material across its product lines. Through 2013, the brand has produced over 13 million pairs of Green Rubber outsoles using 4 million pounds of recycled rubber. That's up from 9 million pairs and 2.8 million pounds of recycled rubber through 2012 year-end.
- In 2013, Timberland diverted another 50 million plastic bottles from landfills – bringing the total to 128 million -- through the use of recycled PET in its footwear product lines. This reflects a 64% increase year-over-year.
CLIMATE – new carbon reporting structure elevated to parent company in 2013.
- In 2013, the management and tracking of the carbon emissions associated with owned and operated facilities was transitioned to Timberland's parent company, VF Corporation.
- In this new reporting structure, data related to Timberland's emissions will be reported separately in May.
FACTORIES – striving to have a positive impact on the communities in which we work.
- In 2013, Timberland furthered its "beyond compliance, beyond factory walls" approach to social and environmental impacts in its supply chain through a variety of projects promoting the welfare of employees and their communities.
- 2013 projects included a community child care center in India, financial literacy programs in India and health awareness programs in Bangladesh.
- Timberland continued to utilize Social Accountability International's (SAI's) Social Fingerprint tool for benchmarking and guiding factories in developing best-in-class social/labor management systems. Seventy percent (70%) of Timberland's global footwear and apparel production was sourced from factories meeting "Level 3" criteria of SAI's benchmark, exceeding the brand's goal of 51%.
SERVICE – pulling on our boots to make a difference around the globe; one million hours in our sights.
- Timberland closed out 2013 approaching a major volunteerism milestone – its one-millionth service hour served by employees. Timberland's Path of Service™ program was launched in 1992; as of December 31, 2013, Timberland employees around the world had volunteered a cumulative total of 992,264 service hours. The brand expects to achieve its one-millionth service hour this spring, in concert with its Earth Day service events.
- Around the globe, thousands of Timberland employees completed 65,388 hours of community service in 2013, many of which were dedicated to the company's two major service events – Serv-a-palooza (Timberland's annual global community service event) and Earth Day.
- Timberland made significant strides toward its goal of planting 5 million trees by 2015. Since setting this goal in 2010, the brand has supported the planting of 4.5 million trees. In 2013 alone, Timberland employees and business partners planted 1,042,485 trees.
- Timberland's emphasis on volunteerism is part of its 20-year tradition of giving employees up to 40 hours of paid time each year to engage in community service.
"As a brand, Timberland evaluates itself against the positive impacts we can make on the world," said Patrik Frisk, president of Timberland. "Environmental stewardship, which is our heritage, is a huge part of this - but we are also pleased with the progress we made last year within our factory communities, our sustainable supply chain and through community service projects. Of course, we always strive to do better, and our goal is to raise the bar and create even deeper impact in 2014."
Given Timberland's vision of being the largest, most sustainable outdoor lifestyle brand on earth, a key area of focus for 2014 will be continuing to innovate on the product side, increasing its use of recycled, organic and renewable materials across all categories, while also delivering the versatile styling today's consumers demand. Timberland will also continue to identify opportunities to enrich the lives of its factory workers and communities; just last month, the brand partnered with Planet Water to install two water towers in the Dominican Republic, providing much-needed clean drinking water to thousands of local workers and community members.
"The push to create sustainable impacts across our business and the communities in which we operate around the world is deeply engrained in Timberland's strategic vision," added Frisk. "Putting our values into action is never siloed and is never a one-off. As we grow as a brand, in my eyes that creates more opportunity for us to do more good. I extend my thanks to our teams and business partners worldwide who, with their service and commitment, have helped make this vision a reality."
To see the full 2013 results, visit http://responsibility.timberland.com/reporting/goals-and-progress.
Timberland, a wholly owned subsidiary of VF Corporation, is a global leader in the design, engineering and marketing of premium-quality footwear, apparel and accessories for consumers who value the outdoors and their time in it. Timberland markets products under the Timberland®, Timberland PRO®, and Timberland Boot Company® brands, all of which offer quality workmanship and detailing and are built to withstand the elements of nature. The company's products can be found in leading department and specialty stores as well as Timberland® retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, South America, South Africa and the Middle East. Timberland's dedication to making quality products is matched by the company's commitment to "doing well and doing good" -- forging powerful partnerships among employees, consumers and service partners to transform the communities in which they live and work. To learn more about Timberland, please visit www.timberland.com.
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 307
Successful transition from traditional IT to cloud computing requires three key ingredients: an IT architecture that allows companies to extend their internal best practices to the cloud, a cost point that allows economies of scale, and automated processes that manage risk exposure and maintain regulatory compliance with industry regulations (FFIEC, PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FISMA). The unique combination of VMware, the IBM Cloud, and Cloud Raxak, a 2016 Gartner Cool Vendor in IT Automation, provides a co...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,283
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 985
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,106
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,388
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,007
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 8,556
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,162
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 602
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 408
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 945
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,954
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,228
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,603
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,627