|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 02:27 PM EDT||
STRATHAM, N.H., April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Timberland released its 2013 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) performance data. The brand first started reporting annual CSR data in 2001. Timberland's persistent commitment to reduce its impact on the environment, while at the same time creating positive impact within its supply chain and in communities worldwide, yielded many notable strides in 2013.
Timberland's 2013 CSR Report presents data against four key pillars identified as priorities for the brand: product, climate, factories and service. From closing in on its one millionth volunteer service hour, to increasing the use of recycled, organic or renewable materials in its products, 2013 highlights include:
PRODUCT– bringing sustainable style to new heights through increased use of eco-conscious materials.
- In 2013, 70% of Timberland® footwear incorporated recycled, organic or renewable (ROR) materials.
- Ninety-eight percent (98%) of footwear leather volume was sourced from Silver or Gold-rated tanneries, as rated by the Leather Working Group, an independent group of tanneries and footwear brands that has established a protocol to assess the compliance and environmental performance of tanneries, and to promote sustainable and appropriate environmental business practices within the footwear leather industry.
- Rubber is one of the heaviest and most impactful materials in footwear; Green Rubber™ outsoles reduce that impact by substituting virgin rubber with 42% post-industrial recycled latex. In 2013, Timberland expanded the use of Green Rubber™ material across its product lines. Through 2013, the brand has produced over 13 million pairs of Green Rubber outsoles using 4 million pounds of recycled rubber. That's up from 9 million pairs and 2.8 million pounds of recycled rubber through 2012 year-end.
- In 2013, Timberland diverted another 50 million plastic bottles from landfills – bringing the total to 128 million -- through the use of recycled PET in its footwear product lines. This reflects a 64% increase year-over-year.
CLIMATE – new carbon reporting structure elevated to parent company in 2013.
- In 2013, the management and tracking of the carbon emissions associated with owned and operated facilities was transitioned to Timberland's parent company, VF Corporation.
- In this new reporting structure, data related to Timberland's emissions will be reported separately in May.
FACTORIES – striving to have a positive impact on the communities in which we work.
- In 2013, Timberland furthered its "beyond compliance, beyond factory walls" approach to social and environmental impacts in its supply chain through a variety of projects promoting the welfare of employees and their communities.
- 2013 projects included a community child care center in India, financial literacy programs in India and health awareness programs in Bangladesh.
- Timberland continued to utilize Social Accountability International's (SAI's) Social Fingerprint tool for benchmarking and guiding factories in developing best-in-class social/labor management systems. Seventy percent (70%) of Timberland's global footwear and apparel production was sourced from factories meeting "Level 3" criteria of SAI's benchmark, exceeding the brand's goal of 51%.
SERVICE – pulling on our boots to make a difference around the globe; one million hours in our sights.
- Timberland closed out 2013 approaching a major volunteerism milestone – its one-millionth service hour served by employees. Timberland's Path of Service™ program was launched in 1992; as of December 31, 2013, Timberland employees around the world had volunteered a cumulative total of 992,264 service hours. The brand expects to achieve its one-millionth service hour this spring, in concert with its Earth Day service events.
- Around the globe, thousands of Timberland employees completed 65,388 hours of community service in 2013, many of which were dedicated to the company's two major service events – Serv-a-palooza (Timberland's annual global community service event) and Earth Day.
- Timberland made significant strides toward its goal of planting 5 million trees by 2015. Since setting this goal in 2010, the brand has supported the planting of 4.5 million trees. In 2013 alone, Timberland employees and business partners planted 1,042,485 trees.
- Timberland's emphasis on volunteerism is part of its 20-year tradition of giving employees up to 40 hours of paid time each year to engage in community service.
"As a brand, Timberland evaluates itself against the positive impacts we can make on the world," said Patrik Frisk, president of Timberland. "Environmental stewardship, which is our heritage, is a huge part of this - but we are also pleased with the progress we made last year within our factory communities, our sustainable supply chain and through community service projects. Of course, we always strive to do better, and our goal is to raise the bar and create even deeper impact in 2014."
Given Timberland's vision of being the largest, most sustainable outdoor lifestyle brand on earth, a key area of focus for 2014 will be continuing to innovate on the product side, increasing its use of recycled, organic and renewable materials across all categories, while also delivering the versatile styling today's consumers demand. Timberland will also continue to identify opportunities to enrich the lives of its factory workers and communities; just last month, the brand partnered with Planet Water to install two water towers in the Dominican Republic, providing much-needed clean drinking water to thousands of local workers and community members.
"The push to create sustainable impacts across our business and the communities in which we operate around the world is deeply engrained in Timberland's strategic vision," added Frisk. "Putting our values into action is never siloed and is never a one-off. As we grow as a brand, in my eyes that creates more opportunity for us to do more good. I extend my thanks to our teams and business partners worldwide who, with their service and commitment, have helped make this vision a reality."
To see the full 2013 results, visit http://responsibility.timberland.com/reporting/goals-and-progress.
Timberland, a wholly owned subsidiary of VF Corporation, is a global leader in the design, engineering and marketing of premium-quality footwear, apparel and accessories for consumers who value the outdoors and their time in it. Timberland markets products under the Timberland®, Timberland PRO®, and Timberland Boot Company® brands, all of which offer quality workmanship and detailing and are built to withstand the elements of nature. The company's products can be found in leading department and specialty stores as well as Timberland® retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, South America, South Africa and the Middle East. Timberland's dedication to making quality products is matched by the company's commitment to "doing well and doing good" -- forging powerful partnerships among employees, consumers and service partners to transform the communities in which they live and work. To learn more about Timberland, please visit www.timberland.com.
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 754
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,037
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 929
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 988
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,072
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 719
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,794
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 934
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 24, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,649
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,842
Cloud computing changed data analytics for good. It enabled companies to drastically decrease resources and architecture previously assigned with business intelligence departments. It also enabled laymen to run advanced business analytics. Cloud was also the architecture of choice for storing and processing big data. Data piling is a continuous process, which is going to explode with emerging Internet of Things concept. Answer to this issue developers found in new concept called fog computing. ...
May. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,821
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,355
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,080
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,849