|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2014 09:49 PM EDT||
Protecting the safety of pedestrians and motorists at railway crossings
OTTAWA, April 10, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today issued a Section 31 Notice and Order to VIA Rail to immediately address safety issues at six railway crossings in the Barrhaven community of Ottawa.
Under the authority of the Railway Safety Act, the Minister is taking key measures to protect the safety of pedestrians and motorists that use these railway grade crossings.
As a result of these measures VIA Rail must:
- have flagmen on site around the clock at the six affected crossings to provide manual crossing protection for all freight and passenger trains; and
- develop a long-term plan to manage safety at these railway crossings.
Transport Canada will have a railway safety inspector on-site to closely monitor the situation and verify compliance with the Railway Safety Act and related rules and regulations.
- The Order applies to the crossings located at Fallowfield, Woodroffe, the OC Transpo Transitway, Greenbank, Jockvale, and Standherd.
- An Order is issued to address an immediate threat to safety. It restricts a railway company's operations until certain terms and conditions are met.
- Transport Canada recently proposed new regulations to reduce collisions and save lives at railway crossings.
"The safety of Canadians is my top priority. That is why I am issuing this Order to ensure that passenger and freight trains are crossing safely at our intersections. I am confident that VIA Rail will take swift action to resolve these issues."
The Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
SOURCE Transport Canada
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,593
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,908
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 702
Aug. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,481
Aug. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 731
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,646
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 838
Aug. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 674
Aug. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,950
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 687
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,119
Aug. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 847
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,021
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 883