|By PR Newswire||
|April 12, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Gennady Timchenko, the founder and beneficial shareholder of Volga Group, has given an exclusive interview to Sergey Brilev on the Russian TV programme "News on Saturday" ("Vesti v subbotu"). During the interview Mr Timchenko commented in detail on a number of topics.
Partnership with China
- "Russia's turn towards China is partially due to Europe pushing us away in recent years. By working with Chinese partners, we can also demonstrate to the Europeans that we have new opportunities and promising markets in the Asia-Pacific region."
- "China is an area where we need to be present. Lots of companies want to supply their products to China. Australia and other countries are building LNG production facilities. We need to keep pace and not hold back on cooperation with China."
- "We have been working with the Chinese for several years on serious projects including Yamal LNG. This is a highly complex project in economic terms. It is a mark of our success that we have been able to reach agreement with our Chinese partners quickly and bring them on board as shareholders in Yamal LNG. It is important that we keep up the pace and achieve all of the plans we have set out by the start of 2017. Then we will be able to start supplies of LNG to China in 2Q 2017."
- "Building big businesses such as this one creates large numbers of new jobs in Russia. Businesses also create new tax revenues, which in future will be used to pay public-sector workers and address social issues."
- "I also have good relationships with European businessmen. It is likely that I will stay on as co-chairman of the Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. I have also received an offer to head a similar Russian-Chinese advisory body, which in all probability I will readily accept."
US sanctions list
- "I found out that I had been included on the list from the news. I had assumed that this was a possibility, but still to have it confirmed was slightly unexpected, although something of a badge of honour for me. I think that this is a judgement on my investments in Russia - in the energy and petrochemicals sector, in infrastructure construction and the foodstuffs industry."
- "Europe has not announced any sanctions against me. However, there have been some complications as a result of the American sanctions, as some banks have started creating difficulties for business. In effect, the American authorities are making life difficult for European banks."
- "We assumed that this could happen, and took care of our funds held with European banks ahead of time. All of these funds are now in Russia and are being securely held by our Russian banks."
- "My stake in Gunvor was less than 50%. Essentially I was not obliged to sell the shares, but I did so in order not to create problems for the company, which is growing fast and today is one of the top three energy traders worldwide."
On calls to use the ruble as the settlement currency for Russian exports
- "We have examined these proposals and are already in talks with our counterparties, many of whom are prepared to consider the idea. To start with we are talking about switching to settlement in euros, but given that European sanctions remain a possibility we may also use the ruble for settlement, as well as the renminbi for doing business with China. We are ready for this, and it seems that our Chinese partners are also prepared to give the idea serious consideration."
Relations with Europe
- "European leaders today have a poor understanding of the global situation and the consequences of meddling in these or those processes. Western media present events in Russia in a thoroughly negative light. Yes, we have problems, and these need to be covered. But the fact remains that there is a propaganda campaign being waged against Russia. And this is disturbing."
- "I have never concealed my dual citizenship. People involved in state business should probably declare their dual citizenship if they have it. I do not see this as an infringement of any human rights."
About Volga Group
One of the largest investment groups in Russia, Volga Group has investments in 18 core companies, located mainly in Russia. The three core strategic investment areas are energy, logistics and infrastructure. Volga Group also has investments in the financial services and consumer goods sectors. The Group's largest holdings include Novatek (23%), Sibur (37.3%), Transoil (80%), STG Group (63%).
For media inquiries:
Mr. Anton Kurevin
Communications Director, Volga Advisors
Email: [email protected]
Tel.: +7-495-777-38-98 (extn. 711)
Mr. Stuart Leasor
Email: [email protected]
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
Apr. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 887
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 895
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 557
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Apr. 30, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,448
Between the mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Charles Kendrick, CTO & Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how business and devel...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,718
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 355
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,754
New Relic, Inc. has announced a set of new features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud that offer IT operations teams increased visibility, and the ability to diagnose and resolve performance problems quickly. The new features further IT operations teams’ ability to leverage data and analytics, as well as drive collaboration and a common, shared understanding between teams. Software teams are under pressure to resolve performance issues quickly and improve availability, as the comple...
Apr. 29, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,413
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, will draw upon their own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He will also discuss the implementation of microservices in data and applicat...
Apr. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,705
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,792
See storage differently! Storage performance problems have only gotten worse and harder to solve as applications have become largely virtualized and moved to a cloud-based infrastructure. Storage performance in a virtualized environment is not just about IOPS, it is about how well that potential performance is guaranteed to individual VMs for these apps as the number of VMs keep going up real time. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in product and marketing at Tintri, will discu...
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 656
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,644
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,677