|By PR Newswire||
|April 12, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Gennady Timchenko, the founder and beneficial shareholder of Volga Group, has given an exclusive interview to Sergey Brilev on the Russian TV programme "News on Saturday" ("Vesti v subbotu"). During the interview Mr Timchenko commented in detail on a number of topics.
Partnership with China
- "Russia's turn towards China is partially due to Europe pushing us away in recent years. By working with Chinese partners, we can also demonstrate to the Europeans that we have new opportunities and promising markets in the Asia-Pacific region."
- "China is an area where we need to be present. Lots of companies want to supply their products to China. Australia and other countries are building LNG production facilities. We need to keep pace and not hold back on cooperation with China."
- "We have been working with the Chinese for several years on serious projects including Yamal LNG. This is a highly complex project in economic terms. It is a mark of our success that we have been able to reach agreement with our Chinese partners quickly and bring them on board as shareholders in Yamal LNG. It is important that we keep up the pace and achieve all of the plans we have set out by the start of 2017. Then we will be able to start supplies of LNG to China in 2Q 2017."
- "Building big businesses such as this one creates large numbers of new jobs in Russia. Businesses also create new tax revenues, which in future will be used to pay public-sector workers and address social issues."
- "I also have good relationships with European businessmen. It is likely that I will stay on as co-chairman of the Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. I have also received an offer to head a similar Russian-Chinese advisory body, which in all probability I will readily accept."
US sanctions list
- "I found out that I had been included on the list from the news. I had assumed that this was a possibility, but still to have it confirmed was slightly unexpected, although something of a badge of honour for me. I think that this is a judgement on my investments in Russia - in the energy and petrochemicals sector, in infrastructure construction and the foodstuffs industry."
- "Europe has not announced any sanctions against me. However, there have been some complications as a result of the American sanctions, as some banks have started creating difficulties for business. In effect, the American authorities are making life difficult for European banks."
- "We assumed that this could happen, and took care of our funds held with European banks ahead of time. All of these funds are now in Russia and are being securely held by our Russian banks."
- "My stake in Gunvor was less than 50%. Essentially I was not obliged to sell the shares, but I did so in order not to create problems for the company, which is growing fast and today is one of the top three energy traders worldwide."
On calls to use the ruble as the settlement currency for Russian exports
- "We have examined these proposals and are already in talks with our counterparties, many of whom are prepared to consider the idea. To start with we are talking about switching to settlement in euros, but given that European sanctions remain a possibility we may also use the ruble for settlement, as well as the renminbi for doing business with China. We are ready for this, and it seems that our Chinese partners are also prepared to give the idea serious consideration."
Relations with Europe
- "European leaders today have a poor understanding of the global situation and the consequences of meddling in these or those processes. Western media present events in Russia in a thoroughly negative light. Yes, we have problems, and these need to be covered. But the fact remains that there is a propaganda campaign being waged against Russia. And this is disturbing."
- "I have never concealed my dual citizenship. People involved in state business should probably declare their dual citizenship if they have it. I do not see this as an infringement of any human rights."
About Volga Group
One of the largest investment groups in Russia, Volga Group has investments in 18 core companies, located mainly in Russia. The three core strategic investment areas are energy, logistics and infrastructure. Volga Group also has investments in the financial services and consumer goods sectors. The Group's largest holdings include Novatek (23%), Sibur (37.3%), Transoil (80%), STG Group (63%).
For media inquiries:
Mr. Anton Kurevin
Communications Director, Volga Advisors
Email: [email protected]
Tel.: +7-495-777-38-98 (extn. 711)
Mr. Stuart Leasor
Email: [email protected]
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 11, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 270
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 11, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 216
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 11, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 387
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:30 PM EST
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 177
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 11, 2016 04:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 11, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 409
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 11, 2016 03:00 PM EST
The Art of DevOps provides a fun overview to help teams understand DevOps. Written in the style of the famous 6th century Chinese manuscript “The Art of War,” this eBook describes DevOps in the form of a mission to continuously deliver assets to the operational battlegrounds safely, securely, and quickly. It’s a fun read with valuable insights.
Feb. 11, 2016 02:45 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 11, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 441
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 11, 2016 01:45 PM EST
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:45 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 439
WebSocket is effectively a persistent and fat pipe that is compatible with a standard web infrastructure; a "TCP for the Web." If you think of WebSocket in this light, there are other more hugely interesting applications of WebSocket than just simply sending data to a browser. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Frank Greco, Director of Technology for Kaazing Corporation, will compare other modern web connectivity methods such as HTTP/2, HTTP Streaming, Server-Sent Events and new W3C event APIs ...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:00 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 211