|By PR Newswire||
|April 12, 2014 05:00 AM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Gennady Timchenko, the founder and beneficial shareholder of Volga Group, has given an exclusive interview to Sergey Brilev on the Russian TV programme "News on Saturday" ("Vesti v subbotu"). During the interview Mr Timchenko commented in detail on a number of topics.
Partnership with China
- "Russia's turn towards China is partially due to Europe pushing us away in recent years. By working with Chinese partners, we can also demonstrate to the Europeans that we have new opportunities and promising markets in the Asia-Pacific region."
- "China is an area where we need to be present. Lots of companies want to supply their products to China. Australia and other countries are building LNG production facilities. We need to keep pace and not hold back on cooperation with China."
- "We have been working with the Chinese for several years on serious projects including Yamal LNG. This is a highly complex project in economic terms. It is a mark of our success that we have been able to reach agreement with our Chinese partners quickly and bring them on board as shareholders in Yamal LNG. It is important that we keep up the pace and achieve all of the plans we have set out by the start of 2017. Then we will be able to start supplies of LNG to China in 2Q 2017."
- "Building big businesses such as this one creates large numbers of new jobs in Russia. Businesses also create new tax revenues, which in future will be used to pay public-sector workers and address social issues."
- "I also have good relationships with European businessmen. It is likely that I will stay on as co-chairman of the Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. I have also received an offer to head a similar Russian-Chinese advisory body, which in all probability I will readily accept."
US sanctions list
- "I found out that I had been included on the list from the news. I had assumed that this was a possibility, but still to have it confirmed was slightly unexpected, although something of a badge of honour for me. I think that this is a judgement on my investments in Russia - in the energy and petrochemicals sector, in infrastructure construction and the foodstuffs industry."
- "Europe has not announced any sanctions against me. However, there have been some complications as a result of the American sanctions, as some banks have started creating difficulties for business. In effect, the American authorities are making life difficult for European banks."
- "We assumed that this could happen, and took care of our funds held with European banks ahead of time. All of these funds are now in Russia and are being securely held by our Russian banks."
- "My stake in Gunvor was less than 50%. Essentially I was not obliged to sell the shares, but I did so in order not to create problems for the company, which is growing fast and today is one of the top three energy traders worldwide."
On calls to use the ruble as the settlement currency for Russian exports
- "We have examined these proposals and are already in talks with our counterparties, many of whom are prepared to consider the idea. To start with we are talking about switching to settlement in euros, but given that European sanctions remain a possibility we may also use the ruble for settlement, as well as the renminbi for doing business with China. We are ready for this, and it seems that our Chinese partners are also prepared to give the idea serious consideration."
Relations with Europe
- "European leaders today have a poor understanding of the global situation and the consequences of meddling in these or those processes. Western media present events in Russia in a thoroughly negative light. Yes, we have problems, and these need to be covered. But the fact remains that there is a propaganda campaign being waged against Russia. And this is disturbing."
- "I have never concealed my dual citizenship. People involved in state business should probably declare their dual citizenship if they have it. I do not see this as an infringement of any human rights."
About Volga Group
One of the largest investment groups in Russia, Volga Group has investments in 18 core companies, located mainly in Russia. The three core strategic investment areas are energy, logistics and infrastructure. Volga Group also has investments in the financial services and consumer goods sectors. The Group's largest holdings include Novatek (23%), Sibur (37.3%), Transoil (80%), STG Group (63%).
For media inquiries:
Mr. Anton Kurevin
Communications Director, Volga Advisors
Email: [email protected]
Tel.: +7-495-777-38-98 (extn. 711)
Mr. Stuart Leasor
Email: [email protected]
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 24, 2017 05:15 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 24, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,681
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 24, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 123
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 164
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,818
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 24, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,811
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 24, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 860
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 24, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 813
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 24, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,697
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 24, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,225
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at Dell EMC, introduced a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organization...
Apr. 24, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,336
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 24, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,056
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 23, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,997
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 23, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,608