|By Business Wire||
|April 15, 2014 03:00 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it is enabling customers to redraw the boundaries of IT with new enterprise solutions designed to dramatically speed application response times, strengthen the ties among data center technologies and simplify IT operations.
CIOs are being tasked to enable their businesses to move faster without infrastructure downtime. This includes accelerating application performance and response times and providing high availability to the business – all while often being budget constrained. The new and enhanced Dell solutions help customers make the most of their IT investments by cutting through the silos to improve application performance and make it easier to manage data center operations.
“IT leaders are facing the challenge of balancing costs with the need to provide bleeding-edge IT services to ensure businesses do not risk losing customers, revenue or productivity. The fact of the matter is handling an increased traffic of any kind puts strain on a data center – and many solutions currently in the market only address parts of the problem,” said Marius Haas, chief commercial officer and president, Enterprise Solutions, Dell. “By leveraging organic and inorganic intellectual property, Dell is accelerating the delivery of its enterprise vision and providing businesses with a unique workload acceleration solution that helps increase agility and be more responsive to their customers.”
Dell Accelerates Application Performance by Speeding Most Frequently Used Data
Dell Fluid Cache for SAN brings data closer to the server while improving application performance and reducing response times. Helping address performance issues that customers face with applications requiring fast access to data, such as online transaction processing (OLTP), data warehousing, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and cloud, this technology helps organizations speed up access to data by pooling and utilizing Dell PCI Express Flash drives for low-latency data caching inside traditional servers.
Dell Fluid Cache for SAN has achieved 5 million random read input/output per second (IOPS)(1) and can reduce cost per user by up to 71 percent(2). Dell lab tests also revealed improved database average response times capable of 99 percent(3) while allowing a more than six-fold increase in the number of concurrent users – increasing from just 2,200 to 14,000 users.
By providing a single infrastructure for data at both high and low ends of the performance spectrum, Dell Fluid Cache for SAN eliminates the tradeoffs between server performance and full-featured SAN benefits such as reliability, manageability and data protection. Intelligent data placement from the server to SAN can enable customers to significantly improve performance while reducing solution costs by enabling the right data to reside at the right place at the right time. A single management interface and fully integrated SAN capabilities, including automated tiering, cache-aware snapshots, replication and compression, also helps customers save time and resources with the advantages of excellent application performance and Dell’s advanced storage economics.
Bringing the most frequently accessed data closer to compute resources minimizes data travel from storage to the server and enables customers to:
- Improve performance: Deliver critical results faster, boost transactional performance and reduce response times by leveraging the end-to-end capabilities of Dell PowerEdge servers with Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell Networking 10/40GbE switches and Dell Compellent Data Progression intelligent tiering technology.
- Ensure data integrity: Maintain confidence that the cache pool data is highly available and safeguarded by write-back caching technology, with no single point of failure from server to SAN.
- Enhance flexibility: Enable database and virtualization performance scalability on demand with a SAN-based solution that allows for the addition of drives and nodes to be added to an active cache pool as needed, allowing business to grow as demand dictates.
- Maximize storage investment: Extend the power of Dell intelligent data placement from the SAN to the server, allowing data to be managed holistically and reside on optimal drive types based on actual performance needs to lower overall total storage costs.
New Dell Compellent Storage Center Software Release Offers Enhanced Performance, Security and Management
In addition to enabling Flash optimization and the intelligent placement of data between the onboard server cache and traditional storage arrays, new Dell Compellent Storage Center 6.5 array software extends the performance and tiering advancements of previous Storage Center releases while offering new enterprise features for customers.
The Dell Compellent Flash-optimized Solution with Storage Center continues to be the first storage solution in its class with intelligent data placement across multiple types of flash technologies or in combination with traditional disk drives. As Dell continues to redefine the economics of enterprise storage, this helps customers optimize performance across various drive types for a lower total storage environment cost. With Dell’s Data Progression technology, customers also can achieve all flash performance for the price of 15K drive technology while reducing their storage footprint(4).
Relieving customers from the historical tradeoff between low cost capacity and high performance, Storage Center 6.5 supports the ability to achieve, in one SAN, both impressive flash performance and super dense, low cost capacity storage that is enhanced with new block level compression. Additional new Storage Center 6.5 benefits and enterprise features include:
- Increased efficiency – with the introduction of block level compression technology for allowing SAN customers to store more data with fewer disk drives with a compression ratio of up to 77 percent(5).
- Enhanced security – with the introduction of self-encrypting drives (SEDs), which offer a highly secure solution for organizations pursuing data privacy or maintaining regulatory compliance requirements, such as those in finance, legal and healthcare industries.
- Enhanced business continuity – with new synchronous Live Volume capability, customers can restore data non-disruptively, keeping applications running during unplanned outages without the need to remap server configurations.
- Improved cloud environment support – with multi-VLAN tagging support that lets service providers offer multiple service levels to customers on different secure virtual domains on the same Storage Center.
Systems Management Becomes Simpler
Dell has enhanced its systems management portfolio with new features that automate IT operations and improve efficiency, availability and reliability. The latest release of the Dell OpenManage portfolio includes:
- Dell OpenManage Essentials 1.3: Designed for monitoring enterprise-class hardware, this systems management console now adds data center protection through integration with Dell AppAssure for scheduled system backups of server data, operating systems, applications, files and databases, as well as discovery and monitoring of Dell SonicWALL security appliances.
- Dell OpenManage Mobile: Integrated with OpenManage Essentials 1.3, and available to customers as a free software download, this is the industry’s first mobile handheld solution to provide IT administrators one-to-many access to anywhere, anytime data center monitoring of servers, storage, networking and firewall systems.
- iDRAC with Lifecycle Controller: With new automatic deployment and configuration functionality, administrators can reduce the number of steps required to deploy hardware configurations by up to 97 percent, as compared to capturing and deploying the configurations manually(5).
Dell also has enhanced its full suite of Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools software that enables efficient data protection and simplifies management of Dell EqualLogic storage arrays through tight integration with VMware, Microsoft and Linux server virtualization platforms and applications. The new generation of EqualLogic software, available for the new EqualLogic PS6210 Series and other PS Series arrays, offers improved and simplified SAN performance, streamlined management, and improved administrator efficiency to provide customers with a storage environment finely tuned for virtual computing environments.
Making the Network Connection: Advancing Data Center Fabrics and Control for SDN, NFV and Cloud Solutions
Dell also showcased new networking solutions to help customers deliver faster results, maximize efficiency and modernize and transform operations in scale-out and cloud-based environments. New products introduced include:
- Dell Networking Z9500 Ethernet fabric switch – the densest, highest performing fixed-form factor switch for scale-out data center and cloud workload designs.
- Dell Active Fabric Controller – purpose-built software for zero-touch provisioning and orchestration of virtualized networking functions and services.
- Dell NFV efforts – takes leadership role in industry consortium and joins with industry partners to accelerate NFV adoption.
“Dell Fluid Cache for SAN is an ideal solution for customers that have high IOPS and high performance needs,” said Peter Lonis, solution consultant, LeaseWeb. “The time needed for tasks like running database queries and deploying virtual machines is dramatically lower in this environment, which would allow our customers to work faster and grow their infrastructures more quickly.”
“Our team’s model is that of a service provider. Our primary goal is to offer the best level of service possible to all our customers across the various University of North Texas System campuses and organizations – and the Dell Fluid Cache for SAN is another tool in our toolbox that helps us do that,” said Monty Slayton, IT manager, University of North Texas System. “To be able to offer this level of performance at such a reasonable cost is a huge advantage for us. Any organization or institution that has transactional types of data can benefit from the Dell Fluid Cache for SAN solution.”
“Because of our Dell OpenManage solution, we can complete tasks from wherever we happen to be working,” said Olivier Payet, network and systems manager, Saint Jean Industries. “It saves us time and has increased our productivity by around 50 percent.”
“We recently consolidated our server infrastructure and moved to a new backup and recovery strategy built on Dell PowerEdge servers and EqualLogic storage, allowing our customers to receive uninterrupted service and our internal team to deliver new services in hours rather than weeks,” said Brian Collins, IT Manager, H+H UK. “With help from Dell partner Upgrade Options, we found that Dell EqualLogic storage was the best option for our virtualized environment, offering rapid deployment, solid performance, and tight integration with VMware environments for simplified management without any additional costs since all EqualLogic software is included with the initial purchase price.”
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell Fluid Cache for SAN and Dell Compellent Storage Center 6.5 will be available worldwide in second quarter of 2014.
- Dell’s enhanced OpenManage portfolio is available worldwide now.
- Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools (HIT)/VMware 4.0 and HIT/Linux 1.3 are available worldwide now. HIT/Microsoft 4.7 will be available later this month.
- Dell Networking Z9500 Fabric Switch is available in North America in April and worldwide in June; Dell Active Fabric Controller is available worldwide in the second quarter of 2014; the co-engineered Dell-Red Hat OpenStack-based NFV and SDN solutions are expected to be available in 2014.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that gives them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
About Dell Enterprise Forum
Dell Enterprise Forum is the premier technical learning event for Dell enterprise customers and channel partners. The conference, held annually in the US and Europe, offers an intensive, interactive learning experience across the data center—from servers and storage to networking and converged solutions.
Dell, Dell Fluid Cache for SAN, Dell Compellent Storage Center, Dell OpenManage and Dell EqualLogic are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
(1) A 2013 Dell lab test of Dell Fluid Cache for SAN achieved over 5 Million IOPS using a random read workload with a 4 KB sized block with a hardware stack consisting of: eight Dell PowerEdge R720 servers each containing two Dell Express Flash 350 GB PCIe SSDs, one Mellanox ConnectX-3 40GE RoCE card, and Fluid Cache software; all connected to Dell Networking and Dell Compellent Storage solutions. Actual performance will vary based on configuration, usage and manufacturing variability.
(2) Based on Dell Lab testing of a 3 node OLTP cluster on an Oracle® database with Dell Fluid Cache for SAN vs. the same configuration without Dell Fluid Cache for SAN, where the configuration with Dell Fluid Cache for SAN resulted in 1900 concurrent users at one second and costs $360,191 USD, or $189.57 USD per user, at the one second measurement, and the configuration without Dell Fluid Cache for SAN resulted in 500 concurrent users at one second and costs $331,696 USD, or $663.39 USD per user, at the one second measurement. List prices dated March 2014.
(3) On a Dell Lab test configuration using an 8 node cluster of OLTP running on an Oracle database workload simulation, the Average Response Time (ART) was reduced 99% compared to the same Dell hardware stack without Dell Fluid Cache for SAN.
(4) Based on internal Dell analysis in July 2013 based on Dell Compellent flash-optimized and spinning disk Dell US list pricing.
(5) Based on March 2014 Dell Internal testing at Dell Labs.
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,795
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,427
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interface Masters Technologies, a leader in Network Visibility and Uptime Solutions, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Interface Masters Technologies is a leading vendor in the network monitoring and high speed networking markets. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Interface Masters' expertise lies in Gigabit, 10 Gigabit and 40 Gigabit Eth...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,347
We are reaching the end of the beginning with WebRTC, and real systems using this technology have begun to appear. One challenge that faces every WebRTC deployment (in some form or another) is identity management. For example, if you have an existing service – possibly built on a variety of different PaaS/SaaS offerings – and you want to add real-time communications you are faced with a challenge relating to user management, authentication, authorization, and validation. Service providers will w...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,368
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and microservices. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your conta...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,993
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,085
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 25, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,702
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,008
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 948
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,738
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 962
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,124
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 918
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,306