|By Business Wire||
|April 16, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
As the country recognizes National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, Sprint (NYSE:S) is reminding wireless consumers to focus on driving while behind the wheel, to not text or email while driving, and to encourage others to promote driver safety in their local communities.
According to a 2013 study on traffic safety culture by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, nearly all drivers view texting or emailing while driving as a very serious threat to their own personal safety and consider it completely unacceptable.i
Given this growing consumer awareness, Sprint is continuing its education efforts on the dangers of texting while driving by sponsoring the Do Something Thumb Wars campaign for a fourth year. Starting in May 2014, Sprint’s partnership with Do Something, will include a celebrity public service announcement, the distribution of 80,000 pairs of thumb socks to teen students who can win a $10,000 college scholarship, and spreading information about distracted driving awareness nationwide to teens and adults.
Sprint is also partnering with the Kansas City Royals on Friday, April 18 at Kauffman Stadium for a Focus on Driving Night. Game attendees will have the opportunity to sign the Sprint distracted driving consumer pledge and will receive a Sprint Focus on Driving mobile phone cover as a reminder of their commitment.
In addition to these efforts, Sprint provides a number of tools for wireless customers and the business community to utilize for driver safety and distracted driving prevention, including:
- Sprint Drive First: A free wireless application that helps drivers stay focused on the road by locking their smartphone when motion is detected. Sprint Drive First automatically detects movement above 10 miles per hour and locks the mobile phone. Incoming calls are directed to voicemail and incoming texts receive a standardized response. Sprint Drive First is available on Sprint CDMA Android™-powered smartphones for free in Google Play.
- Sprint Connected Solutions for Fleet Management: Sprint offers businesses with fleets a choice of industry-leading fleet-management solutions that help fleet managers to identify and reduce risky driving behaviors including harsh braking, starts, stops, speeding and swerving while enabling them to track and monitor vehicle locations, optimize driver dispatch and routing, and receive maintenance reminders and alerts. Some solutions help drivers self-coach by providing an in-vehicle alert when they violate a company driving policy (speeding, etc).
- Sprint Velocity: This solution helps automakers around the world develop and market totally customized connected services for their cars and passenger trucks. Connected car services enabled by Sprint Velocity can include infotainment features such as music, news, weather and sports, Wi-Fi connections for mobile devices, security, navigation, emergency services and engine diagnostics.
- DriveCam: Powered by Lytx Programs, DriveCam captures video and audio inside and outside of the vehicle when triggered by a risky driving event that could lead to a collision. The device provides real‐time feedback to the driver, and video events are uploaded via the wireless network enabled by Sprint to Lytx’s review center where they are analyzed, scored and posted to the company’s cloud-based platform for driver coaching and improvement.
- Sprint Solutions for Usage-Based Insurance (UBI): This service gives insurance carriers the ability to offer customers personalized discounts based on their driving habits. The vehicle is fitted with a small device that easily plugs into the diagnostic port. It captures vehicle information and driver behavior data which is transmitted over the Sprint wireless network. A cloud-based system analyzes the data with driver scoring software that enables insurance carriers to improve driver risk assessments and provide insurers and their policyholders with accurate and reliable data analytics.
More information on Sprint’s distracted driving efforts can be found at sprint.com/drive.
Sprint (NYSE: S) offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint served more than 55 million customers at the end of 2013 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint as the most improved company in customer satisfaction, across all 47 industries, during the last five years. Sprint has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) North America in 2011, 2012 and 2013. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
i AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 2013 Traffic Safety Culture Index Full Report. January 2014, from https://www.aaafoundation.org/2013-traffic-safety-culture-index.
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,316
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,825
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,470
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,775
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,047
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,550
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 27, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,703
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,896
Sep. 27, 2016 11:34 AM EDT Reads: 119
Sep. 27, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,969
Sep. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 952
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,593
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,630
I’m going to cry tonight, long and hard. I’ll do so as I remember and mourn Jeremy Geelan. I knew Jeremy for almost 20 years, from the time he showed up one day at Cloud Expo’s headquarters in Bergen County, New Jersey, and went to work. The show wasn’t called Cloud Expo then, of course – it was still known as Java Edge, a pioneering event that grabbed developers, architects, and enterprise IT users alike for twice-yearly confabs. Jeremy didn’t have a job there, or even a job offer. He was s...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,748
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,694