|By PR Newswire||
|April 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- It's no secret that information technology is one of the hottest sectors for employment in Britain. But, just where are those jobs growing the fastest? CareerBuilder and Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. (EMSI) released a new list of ten industries that are leading in IT job creation post-recession.
"Technology is an integral component to any business as companies look to innovate and expand and engage broader audiences," said Scott Helmes, Managing Director, CareerBuilder UK. "IT employment has been on an upward trajectory for the last few years and is expected to continue to grow across a variety of industries and geographies in Britain."
1. Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance activities
This division includes the provision of services involved in or closely related to financial service activities, but not themselves providing financial services. The primary breakdown of this division is according to the type of financial transaction or funding served.*
a. Industry employed 30,486 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 3,831 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 14 per cent increase
2. Publishing Activities – includes the publishing of books, brochures, leaflets, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, atlases, maps and charts; publishing of newspapers, journals and periodicals; directory and mailing list and other publishing, as well as software publishing.
a. Industry employed 21,407 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,767 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
3. Legal and Accounting Activities - includes legal representation of one party's interest against another party, whether or not before courts or other judicial bodies by, or under supervision of, persons who are members of the bar, such as advice and representation in civil cases, criminal actions, and labour disputes. It also includes preparation of legal documents accounting and bookkeeping services.
a. Industry employed 15,459 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,639 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 21 per cent increase
4. Services to Buildings and Landscape Activities - includes the interior and exterior cleaning of buildings of all types, cleaning of industrial machinery, cleaning of trains, buses, planes, etc., snow and ice removal, provision of landscape care and maintenance services and provision of these services along with the design of landscape plans and/or the construction.
a. Industry employed 9,488 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,278 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 32 per cent increase
5. Advertising and Market Research - includes the creation of advertising campaigns and placement of such advertising in periodicals, newspapers, radio and television, or other media as well as the design of display structures and sites.
a. Industry employed 13,729 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,068 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 18 per cent increase
6. Office Administrative, Office Support and Other Business Support Activities - includes the provision of a range of day to day office administrative services, as well as ongoing routine business support functions for others, on a contract or fee basis.
a. Industry employed 23,713 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,703 IT workers from 2010 to 2013, a 8 per cent increase
7. Real Estate Activities – includes acting as lessors, agents and/or brokers in one or more of the following: selling or buying real estate, renting real estate, providing other real estate services such as appraising real estate or acting as real estate escrow agents.
Also included is the building of structures, combined with maintaining ownership or leasing of such structures.
a. Industry employed 7,193 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,425 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 25 per cent increase
8. Programming and Broadcasting Activities – includes the activities of creating content or acquiring the right to distribute content and subsequently broadcasting that content, such as radio, television and data programmes of entertainment, news, talk, and the like. Also included is data broadcasting, typically integrated with radio or TV broadcasting.
a. Industry employed 3,415 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,323 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 63 per cent increase
9. Warehousing and Support Activities for Transportation - includes warehousing and support activities for transportation, such as operating of transport infrastructure (e.g. airports, harbours, tunnels, bridges, etc.), the activities of transport agencies and cargo handling.
a. Industry employed 7,761 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,126 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 17 per cent increase
10. Employment Activities - includes activities of listing employment vacancies and referring or placing applicants for employment, where the individuals referred or placed are not employees of the employment agencies, supplying workers to clients' businesses for limited periods of time to supplement the workforce of the client, and the activities of providing other human resources.
a. Industry employed 11,107 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 939 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 9 per cent increase
11. Architectural and engineering activities; technical testing and analysis - includes the provision of architectural services, engineering services, drafting services, building inspection services and surveying and mapping services. It also includes the performance of physical, chemical, and other analytical testing services.
a. Industry employed 29,883 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 846 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 3 per cent increase
12. Motion Picture, Video and Television Programme Production, Sound Recording and Music Publishing Activities - includes production of theatrical and non-theatrical motion pictures whether on film, video tape or disc for direct projection in theatres or for broadcasting on television; supporting activities such as film editing, cutting, dubbing etc.; distribution of motion pictures and other film productions to other industries; as well as motion picture or other film productions projection.
a. Industry employed 3,851 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 511 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
"Our list shows the diversity of opportunities for those with IT skills," said Dr. Sanja Licina, Sr. Director, Workforce Analytics at CareerBuilder. "However, it is no secret that there is a skills shortage of tech workers, making it critical that the government, employers and academia all work together to help the future workforce prepare themselves for opportunities that will be available to them."
*This study features truncated versions of industry definitions provided by the Office for National Statistics. For complete definitions, visit http://www.statistics.gov.uk.
Economic Modeling Specialists Intl., a CareerBuilder company, turns labor market data into useful information that helps organizations understand the connection between economies, people, and work. Using sound economic principles and good data, EMSI builds user-friendly services that help educational institutions, workforce planners, and regional developers build a better workforce and improve the economic conditions in their regions. For more information, visit www.economicmodeling.com.
CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract great talent. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com®, is the largest in the United States with more than 24 million unique visitors and 1 million jobs. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing everything from labor market intelligence to talent management software and other recruitment solutions. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Tribune Company and The McClatchy Company (NYSE:MNI), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, South America, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 21, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,586
910Telecom exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and exchanges.
Feb. 21, 2017 02:45 AM EST Reads: 1,310
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Feb. 21, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 4,559
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and micro services. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your contain...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 3,251
The modern software development landscape consists of best practices and tools that allow teams to deliver software in a near-continuous manner. By adopting a culture of automation, measurement and sharing, the time to ship code has been greatly reduced, allowing for shorter release cycles and quicker feedback from customers and users. Still, with all of these tools and methods, how can teams stay on top of what is taking place across their infrastructure and codebase? Hopping between services a...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 6,259
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 21, 2017 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,030
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Feb. 21, 2017 12:30 AM EST Reads: 704
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 6,193
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 3,323
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 5,906
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 4,503
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 905
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,337
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,505
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 20, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 8,235