|By PR Newswire||
|April 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- It's no secret that information technology is one of the hottest sectors for employment in Britain. But, just where are those jobs growing the fastest? CareerBuilder and Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. (EMSI) released a new list of ten industries that are leading in IT job creation post-recession.
"Technology is an integral component to any business as companies look to innovate and expand and engage broader audiences," said Scott Helmes, Managing Director, CareerBuilder UK. "IT employment has been on an upward trajectory for the last few years and is expected to continue to grow across a variety of industries and geographies in Britain."
1. Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance activities
This division includes the provision of services involved in or closely related to financial service activities, but not themselves providing financial services. The primary breakdown of this division is according to the type of financial transaction or funding served.*
a. Industry employed 30,486 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 3,831 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 14 per cent increase
2. Publishing Activities – includes the publishing of books, brochures, leaflets, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, atlases, maps and charts; publishing of newspapers, journals and periodicals; directory and mailing list and other publishing, as well as software publishing.
a. Industry employed 21,407 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,767 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
3. Legal and Accounting Activities - includes legal representation of one party's interest against another party, whether or not before courts or other judicial bodies by, or under supervision of, persons who are members of the bar, such as advice and representation in civil cases, criminal actions, and labour disputes. It also includes preparation of legal documents accounting and bookkeeping services.
a. Industry employed 15,459 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,639 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 21 per cent increase
4. Services to Buildings and Landscape Activities - includes the interior and exterior cleaning of buildings of all types, cleaning of industrial machinery, cleaning of trains, buses, planes, etc., snow and ice removal, provision of landscape care and maintenance services and provision of these services along with the design of landscape plans and/or the construction.
a. Industry employed 9,488 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,278 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 32 per cent increase
5. Advertising and Market Research - includes the creation of advertising campaigns and placement of such advertising in periodicals, newspapers, radio and television, or other media as well as the design of display structures and sites.
a. Industry employed 13,729 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,068 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 18 per cent increase
6. Office Administrative, Office Support and Other Business Support Activities - includes the provision of a range of day to day office administrative services, as well as ongoing routine business support functions for others, on a contract or fee basis.
a. Industry employed 23,713 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,703 IT workers from 2010 to 2013, a 8 per cent increase
7. Real Estate Activities – includes acting as lessors, agents and/or brokers in one or more of the following: selling or buying real estate, renting real estate, providing other real estate services such as appraising real estate or acting as real estate escrow agents.
Also included is the building of structures, combined with maintaining ownership or leasing of such structures.
a. Industry employed 7,193 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,425 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 25 per cent increase
8. Programming and Broadcasting Activities – includes the activities of creating content or acquiring the right to distribute content and subsequently broadcasting that content, such as radio, television and data programmes of entertainment, news, talk, and the like. Also included is data broadcasting, typically integrated with radio or TV broadcasting.
a. Industry employed 3,415 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,323 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 63 per cent increase
9. Warehousing and Support Activities for Transportation - includes warehousing and support activities for transportation, such as operating of transport infrastructure (e.g. airports, harbours, tunnels, bridges, etc.), the activities of transport agencies and cargo handling.
a. Industry employed 7,761 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,126 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 17 per cent increase
10. Employment Activities - includes activities of listing employment vacancies and referring or placing applicants for employment, where the individuals referred or placed are not employees of the employment agencies, supplying workers to clients' businesses for limited periods of time to supplement the workforce of the client, and the activities of providing other human resources.
a. Industry employed 11,107 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 939 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 9 per cent increase
11. Architectural and engineering activities; technical testing and analysis - includes the provision of architectural services, engineering services, drafting services, building inspection services and surveying and mapping services. It also includes the performance of physical, chemical, and other analytical testing services.
a. Industry employed 29,883 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 846 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 3 per cent increase
12. Motion Picture, Video and Television Programme Production, Sound Recording and Music Publishing Activities - includes production of theatrical and non-theatrical motion pictures whether on film, video tape or disc for direct projection in theatres or for broadcasting on television; supporting activities such as film editing, cutting, dubbing etc.; distribution of motion pictures and other film productions to other industries; as well as motion picture or other film productions projection.
a. Industry employed 3,851 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 511 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
"Our list shows the diversity of opportunities for those with IT skills," said Dr. Sanja Licina, Sr. Director, Workforce Analytics at CareerBuilder. "However, it is no secret that there is a skills shortage of tech workers, making it critical that the government, employers and academia all work together to help the future workforce prepare themselves for opportunities that will be available to them."
*This study features truncated versions of industry definitions provided by the Office for National Statistics. For complete definitions, visit http://www.statistics.gov.uk.
Economic Modeling Specialists Intl., a CareerBuilder company, turns labor market data into useful information that helps organizations understand the connection between economies, people, and work. Using sound economic principles and good data, EMSI builds user-friendly services that help educational institutions, workforce planners, and regional developers build a better workforce and improve the economic conditions in their regions. For more information, visit www.economicmodeling.com.
CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract great talent. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com®, is the largest in the United States with more than 24 million unique visitors and 1 million jobs. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing everything from labor market intelligence to talent management software and other recruitment solutions. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Tribune Company and The McClatchy Company (NYSE:MNI), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, South America, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,307
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,573
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,632
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,050
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,961
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,449
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 623
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 728
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,438
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,285
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,538
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,040