|By PR Newswire||
|April 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- It's no secret that information technology is one of the hottest sectors for employment in Britain. But, just where are those jobs growing the fastest? CareerBuilder and Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. (EMSI) released a new list of ten industries that are leading in IT job creation post-recession.
"Technology is an integral component to any business as companies look to innovate and expand and engage broader audiences," said Scott Helmes, Managing Director, CareerBuilder UK. "IT employment has been on an upward trajectory for the last few years and is expected to continue to grow across a variety of industries and geographies in Britain."
1. Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance activities
This division includes the provision of services involved in or closely related to financial service activities, but not themselves providing financial services. The primary breakdown of this division is according to the type of financial transaction or funding served.*
a. Industry employed 30,486 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 3,831 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 14 per cent increase
2. Publishing Activities – includes the publishing of books, brochures, leaflets, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, atlases, maps and charts; publishing of newspapers, journals and periodicals; directory and mailing list and other publishing, as well as software publishing.
a. Industry employed 21,407 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,767 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
3. Legal and Accounting Activities - includes legal representation of one party's interest against another party, whether or not before courts or other judicial bodies by, or under supervision of, persons who are members of the bar, such as advice and representation in civil cases, criminal actions, and labour disputes. It also includes preparation of legal documents accounting and bookkeeping services.
a. Industry employed 15,459 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,639 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 21 per cent increase
4. Services to Buildings and Landscape Activities - includes the interior and exterior cleaning of buildings of all types, cleaning of industrial machinery, cleaning of trains, buses, planes, etc., snow and ice removal, provision of landscape care and maintenance services and provision of these services along with the design of landscape plans and/or the construction.
a. Industry employed 9,488 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,278 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 32 per cent increase
5. Advertising and Market Research - includes the creation of advertising campaigns and placement of such advertising in periodicals, newspapers, radio and television, or other media as well as the design of display structures and sites.
a. Industry employed 13,729 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,068 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 18 per cent increase
6. Office Administrative, Office Support and Other Business Support Activities - includes the provision of a range of day to day office administrative services, as well as ongoing routine business support functions for others, on a contract or fee basis.
a. Industry employed 23,713 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,703 IT workers from 2010 to 2013, a 8 per cent increase
7. Real Estate Activities – includes acting as lessors, agents and/or brokers in one or more of the following: selling or buying real estate, renting real estate, providing other real estate services such as appraising real estate or acting as real estate escrow agents.
Also included is the building of structures, combined with maintaining ownership or leasing of such structures.
a. Industry employed 7,193 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,425 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 25 per cent increase
8. Programming and Broadcasting Activities – includes the activities of creating content or acquiring the right to distribute content and subsequently broadcasting that content, such as radio, television and data programmes of entertainment, news, talk, and the like. Also included is data broadcasting, typically integrated with radio or TV broadcasting.
a. Industry employed 3,415 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,323 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 63 per cent increase
9. Warehousing and Support Activities for Transportation - includes warehousing and support activities for transportation, such as operating of transport infrastructure (e.g. airports, harbours, tunnels, bridges, etc.), the activities of transport agencies and cargo handling.
a. Industry employed 7,761 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,126 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 17 per cent increase
10. Employment Activities - includes activities of listing employment vacancies and referring or placing applicants for employment, where the individuals referred or placed are not employees of the employment agencies, supplying workers to clients' businesses for limited periods of time to supplement the workforce of the client, and the activities of providing other human resources.
a. Industry employed 11,107 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 939 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 9 per cent increase
11. Architectural and engineering activities; technical testing and analysis - includes the provision of architectural services, engineering services, drafting services, building inspection services and surveying and mapping services. It also includes the performance of physical, chemical, and other analytical testing services.
a. Industry employed 29,883 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 846 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 3 per cent increase
12. Motion Picture, Video and Television Programme Production, Sound Recording and Music Publishing Activities - includes production of theatrical and non-theatrical motion pictures whether on film, video tape or disc for direct projection in theatres or for broadcasting on television; supporting activities such as film editing, cutting, dubbing etc.; distribution of motion pictures and other film productions to other industries; as well as motion picture or other film productions projection.
a. Industry employed 3,851 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 511 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
"Our list shows the diversity of opportunities for those with IT skills," said Dr. Sanja Licina, Sr. Director, Workforce Analytics at CareerBuilder. "However, it is no secret that there is a skills shortage of tech workers, making it critical that the government, employers and academia all work together to help the future workforce prepare themselves for opportunities that will be available to them."
*This study features truncated versions of industry definitions provided by the Office for National Statistics. For complete definitions, visit http://www.statistics.gov.uk.
Economic Modeling Specialists Intl., a CareerBuilder company, turns labor market data into useful information that helps organizations understand the connection between economies, people, and work. Using sound economic principles and good data, EMSI builds user-friendly services that help educational institutions, workforce planners, and regional developers build a better workforce and improve the economic conditions in their regions. For more information, visit www.economicmodeling.com.
CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract great talent. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com®, is the largest in the United States with more than 24 million unique visitors and 1 million jobs. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing everything from labor market intelligence to talent management software and other recruitment solutions. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Tribune Company and The McClatchy Company (NYSE:MNI), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, South America, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:49 PM EDT
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,771
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 554
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,218
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,130
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,115
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,787
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,045
Choosing the right cloud for your workloads is a balancing act that can cost your organization time, money and aggravation - unless you get it right the first time. Economics, speed, performance, accessibility, administrative needs and security all play a vital role in dictating your approach to the cloud. Without knowing the right questions to ask, you could wind up paying for capacity you'll never need or underestimating the resources required to run your applications.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 566
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,268
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:41 AM EDT Reads: 261
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 795
StackIQ has announced the release of Stacki 3.2. Stacki is an easy-to-use Linux server provisioning tool. Stacki 3.2 delivers new capabilities that simplify the automation and integration of site-specific requirements. StackIQ is the commercial entity behind this open source bare metal provisioning tool. Since the release of Stacki in June of 2015, the Stacki core team has been focused on making the Community Edition meet the needs of members of the community, adding features and value, while ...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 506
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 274
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 28, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,404