|By PR Newswire||
|April 17, 2014 12:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, April 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- It's no secret that information technology is one of the hottest sectors for employment in Britain. But, just where are those jobs growing the fastest? CareerBuilder and Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. (EMSI) released a new list of ten industries that are leading in IT job creation post-recession.
"Technology is an integral component to any business as companies look to innovate and expand and engage broader audiences," said Scott Helmes, Managing Director, CareerBuilder UK. "IT employment has been on an upward trajectory for the last few years and is expected to continue to grow across a variety of industries and geographies in Britain."
1. Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance activities
This division includes the provision of services involved in or closely related to financial service activities, but not themselves providing financial services. The primary breakdown of this division is according to the type of financial transaction or funding served.*
a. Industry employed 30,486 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 3,831 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 14 per cent increase
2. Publishing Activities – includes the publishing of books, brochures, leaflets, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, atlases, maps and charts; publishing of newspapers, journals and periodicals; directory and mailing list and other publishing, as well as software publishing.
a. Industry employed 21,407 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,767 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
3. Legal and Accounting Activities - includes legal representation of one party's interest against another party, whether or not before courts or other judicial bodies by, or under supervision of, persons who are members of the bar, such as advice and representation in civil cases, criminal actions, and labour disputes. It also includes preparation of legal documents accounting and bookkeeping services.
a. Industry employed 15,459 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,639 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 21 per cent increase
4. Services to Buildings and Landscape Activities - includes the interior and exterior cleaning of buildings of all types, cleaning of industrial machinery, cleaning of trains, buses, planes, etc., snow and ice removal, provision of landscape care and maintenance services and provision of these services along with the design of landscape plans and/or the construction.
a. Industry employed 9,488 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,278 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 32 per cent increase
5. Advertising and Market Research - includes the creation of advertising campaigns and placement of such advertising in periodicals, newspapers, radio and television, or other media as well as the design of display structures and sites.
a. Industry employed 13,729 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 2,068 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 18 per cent increase
6. Office Administrative, Office Support and Other Business Support Activities - includes the provision of a range of day to day office administrative services, as well as ongoing routine business support functions for others, on a contract or fee basis.
a. Industry employed 23,713 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,703 IT workers from 2010 to 2013, a 8 per cent increase
7. Real Estate Activities – includes acting as lessors, agents and/or brokers in one or more of the following: selling or buying real estate, renting real estate, providing other real estate services such as appraising real estate or acting as real estate escrow agents.
Also included is the building of structures, combined with maintaining ownership or leasing of such structures.
a. Industry employed 7,193 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,425 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 25 per cent increase
8. Programming and Broadcasting Activities – includes the activities of creating content or acquiring the right to distribute content and subsequently broadcasting that content, such as radio, television and data programmes of entertainment, news, talk, and the like. Also included is data broadcasting, typically integrated with radio or TV broadcasting.
a. Industry employed 3,415 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,323 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 63 per cent increase
9. Warehousing and Support Activities for Transportation - includes warehousing and support activities for transportation, such as operating of transport infrastructure (e.g. airports, harbours, tunnels, bridges, etc.), the activities of transport agencies and cargo handling.
a. Industry employed 7,761 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 1,126 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 17 per cent increase
10. Employment Activities - includes activities of listing employment vacancies and referring or placing applicants for employment, where the individuals referred or placed are not employees of the employment agencies, supplying workers to clients' businesses for limited periods of time to supplement the workforce of the client, and the activities of providing other human resources.
a. Industry employed 11,107 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 939 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 9 per cent increase
11. Architectural and engineering activities; technical testing and analysis - includes the provision of architectural services, engineering services, drafting services, building inspection services and surveying and mapping services. It also includes the performance of physical, chemical, and other analytical testing services.
a. Industry employed 29,883 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 846 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 3 per cent increase
12. Motion Picture, Video and Television Programme Production, Sound Recording and Music Publishing Activities - includes production of theatrical and non-theatrical motion pictures whether on film, video tape or disc for direct projection in theatres or for broadcasting on television; supporting activities such as film editing, cutting, dubbing etc.; distribution of motion pictures and other film productions to other industries; as well as motion picture or other film productions projection.
a. Industry employed 3,851 IT workers in 2013
b. Industry added 511 IT jobs from 2010 to 2013, a 15 per cent increase
"Our list shows the diversity of opportunities for those with IT skills," said Dr. Sanja Licina, Sr. Director, Workforce Analytics at CareerBuilder. "However, it is no secret that there is a skills shortage of tech workers, making it critical that the government, employers and academia all work together to help the future workforce prepare themselves for opportunities that will be available to them."
*This study features truncated versions of industry definitions provided by the Office for National Statistics. For complete definitions, visit http://www.statistics.gov.uk.
Economic Modeling Specialists Intl., a CareerBuilder company, turns labor market data into useful information that helps organizations understand the connection between economies, people, and work. Using sound economic principles and good data, EMSI builds user-friendly services that help educational institutions, workforce planners, and regional developers build a better workforce and improve the economic conditions in their regions. For more information, visit www.economicmodeling.com.
CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract great talent. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com®, is the largest in the United States with more than 24 million unique visitors and 1 million jobs. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing everything from labor market intelligence to talent management software and other recruitment solutions. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Tribune Company and The McClatchy Company (NYSE:MNI), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, South America, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Sep. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 507
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 439
In 2014, the market witnessed a massive migration to the cloud as enterprises finally overcame their fears of the cloud’s viability, security, etc. Over the past 18 months, AWS, Google and Microsoft have waged an ongoing battle through a wave of price cuts and new features. For IT executives, sorting through all the noise to make the best cloud investment decisions has become daunting. Enterprises can and are moving away from a "one size fits all" cloud approach. The new competitive field has ...
Sep. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EDT
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 135
Everyone talks about continuous integration and continuous delivery but those are just two ends of the pipeline. In the middle of DevOps is continuous testing (CT), and many organizations are struggling to implement continuous testing effectively. After all, without continuous testing there is no delivery. And Lab-As-A-Service (LaaS) enhances the CT with dynamic on-demand self-serve test topologies. CT together with LAAS make a powerful combination that perfectly serves complex software developm...
Sep. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 210
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EDT
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 474
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 1, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 909
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Sep. 1, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 256
Enterprises can achieve rigorous IT security as well as improved DevOps practices and Cloud economics by taking a new, cloud-native approach to application delivery. Because the attack surface for cloud applications is dramatically different than for highly controlled data centers, a disciplined and multi-layered approach that spans all of your processes, staff, vendors and technologies is required. This may sound expensive and time consuming to achieve as you plan how to move selected applicati...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:30 PM EDT
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 249
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 237
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Sep. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 491
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes ab...
Sep. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 673
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Sep. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 320