|By PR Newswire||
|April 17, 2014 02:57 PM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, April 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With continued growing interest in its Jewish Heritage excursions, Crystal Cruises is expanding its spiritual offerings ashore for 2014 luxury European cruises. In Istanbul, a brand new Crystal Adventure ashore—offered with Crystal Serenity's May 7 and June 22 voyages—explores the city's storied Jewish history and some of the most enduring spiritual landmarks, including:
- Centuries-old Jewish heritage, visiting Ahrida Synagogue—Istanbul's oldest, dating back to the early 1400's—boasting a refreshed splendor since its 1992 refurbishment;
- Ashkenazi heritage, with visits to Eskenazi, the last remaining active synagogue of its kind in Istanbul; and the "Tailors Synagogue," founded by a group of Ashkenazi Austrian clothiers in 1900 and now serving their traditions as a fashion art gallery and research center;
- The city's Jewish quarters, then and now, exploring the Balat quarter, where the Jewish culture began to thrive during the Ottoman Empire, and the Galata district, where a modern bustling Jewish community has increased since the 1950s.
- The juxtaposition of Turkey's Jewish and Muslim cultures, with a visit to the Quincentennial Foundation Museum of Turkish Jews, celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Jewish odyssey from Spain to Turkey, along with exhibits of the country's corresponding Muslim history.
"We continue to respond to the increasing popularity of spiritually-based experiences ashore with new opportunities to gain insights into the impact that faith has had on the world in which we sail," says John Stoll, vice president of land programs. "Istanbul has been a religious mecca for centuries, as the home to sites and stories that are not only profound for our Jewish guests, but also historically relevant for non-practitioners."
In addition to the new excursion in Istanbul, five other thoughtfully crafted tours explore Jewish history in Europe, aboard several 2014 Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity sailings, such as:
- An intimate glimpse inside the lives and stories of a Jewish family in St. Petersburg;
- Otto Weidt's broom factory in Berlin, where many disabled Jews were employed and protected from deportation;
- The Amsterdam house where Anne Frank hid and penned her famous memoirs;
- Stockholm's memorial to 8,500 Swedish Holocaust victims; and
- One of the best preserved Jewish quarters in Europe, from Palamos, Spain.
Several excursions elsewhere in Europe also explore Christian heritage via exclusive experiences.
In 2014, 25 Crystal cruises of seven to 14 days will sail through the Mediterranean, Northern and Western Europe and the British Isles. Until April 30, all-inclusive "Book Now" cruise fares start at $2,640 per person.
Crystal's passion for creating exclusive, eye-opening luxury shore-side experiences are cornerstones of its Crystal Adventures program, earning the line top ratings for two decades.
For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel agent, call 888-799-4625, or visit www.crystalcruises.com.
CONTACT: Mimi Weisband or Susan Wichmann 310-203-4305, [email protected].
SOURCE Crystal Cruises
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,577
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,400
Sep. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,811
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,693
Sep. 25, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,486
Sep. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 918
Sep. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,601
Sep. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,238
Sep. 25, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,559
Sep. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,530
Sep. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,770
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
Sep. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,623
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,523