|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
BOSTON, April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today's college students and graduates are competing in an ever-expanding workforce on a global basis. Focusing on relevant skills that are not taught in many college curriculums is critical to success. For the thousands of liberal arts graduates, it can be a daunting and frustrating time.
While knowledge is certainly an important component of landing a job, graduates can increase their career success through the development of a targeted set of skills that will enable them to drive desired outcomes.
The best 10 skills to identify, learn and master when coming out of college are:
1) Effective Resume Writing: Resumes are intended to get you an interview, not a job. They need to be written with that in mind – concise, direct and content rich.
2) Interviewing: Understand that interviews are a two-way process. They are not limited to just answering questions. It is essential to offer succinct and direct answers rather than ramble. It is just as critical to ask questions of your own. Appearance matters. Preparation is key.
3) Negotiating a Salary: Ideally, you want the hiring manager to decide you are the best candidate for the job before discussing salary or pay. Your chances for maximum pay will improve if you discuss compensation after you are considered the best candidate. You have skills to offer, value them.
4) Positive Attitude: Positive people are viewed more positively in the workplace. It is easy to make excuses about why things won't work but use your energy to decide why things will work. Present yourself positively and improve the way you are viewed by potential employers.
5) Active Listening: Real listening is different than waiting to speak. Most people do not know how to focus on this skill, but there are ways to dramatically improve this skill. Real listening builds positive relationships with others.
6) Communication Skills: Effective communication skills follow a process that can produce more efficient and effective results. By learning to communicate efficiently, you will be able to handle more work in less time.
7) Business Writing: Having an outline for how to write in business is different than writing papers in school. You want to present conclusions and be prepared to defend your positions rather than reference all research in your memos. Respect the reader's time.
8) Develop a Personal Plan: Developing a set of personal goals and milestones will help guide you through the inevitable ups and downs of career progressions. With today's workers destined to have multiple career changes during their life, a personal plan will keep you focused on what will drive your success.
9) Managing Up to a Boss: Know how to read your new boss and how to help them be successful. Successful bosses tend to keep their key performers with them as they advance.
10) Rapid Learning: Information is readily available today and there is less need to know every detail. It is no longer about what you know; it is about how fast you can learn.
Expanding your competency in these skills will give you an edge in today's job market. To learn more about each of these skills and over 30 more read BA To Boardroom With No BS, Skills for Life. The book gives useful, usable advice that will improve your career success, as a person entering the workforce, a manager and a leader.
For information, visit www.batoboardroom.com.
Read more news from BA to Boardroom.
SOURCE BA to Boardroom
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,397
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, will discuss the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docke...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,192
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 614
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 552
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 21, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,775
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,449
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, will contrast how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He will show the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He will also have live demos of building immutable pipe...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,460
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, you'll learn about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how Docke...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,505
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 903
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 21, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 918
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,324
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 864
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cemware will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Use MATLAB functions by just visiting website mathfreeon.com. MATLAB compatible, freely usable, online platform services. As of October 2016, 80,000 users from 180 countries are enjoying our platform service.
Oct. 21, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 678
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,052