|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 10:30 AM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that Vietnam is currently one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical markets in Southeast Asia, recording a growth rate of nearly 17 percent and exceeding $3 billion in size in 2013. Increasing affluence, a rapidly aging population and the steady extension of public health insurance are among factors that are driving demand for prescription medicines. Vietnam has set an ambitious goal to achieve universal health coverage by 2015, since over 30 percent of the population is still not covered by any form of public health insurance, and private health expenditure remains high at 57 percent of the country's total health expenditure. Vietnamese patients also face a burden from relatively high drug prices, due to limited domestic drug production and a lack of cost-containment measures. Foreign drug manufactures must contend with a regionally fragmented market, as well as weak intellectual property protection policies and a protracted regulatory environment for drug approval and distribution when doing business in Vietnam.
Other key findings from the Vietnam Market Access Tracker:
- Drug prices in Vietnam are comparatively high; 12 times higher than international reference prices. The country's difficulty in containing drug prices is exacerbated by a fragmented healthcare system, a decentralized drug procurement process and heavy dependence on imported medicines.
- The population faces high out-of-pocket health expenditure, which continues to be a financial burden and a significant barrier to access to healthcare.
- Typical of most developing countries, Vietnam's intellectual property rights protection is weak. The lack of regulatory transparency, as well as high penetration of counterfeit drugs into the market has contributed to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America's request to keep the country on the Watch List in its Special 301 Report for 2014.
- Ongoing negotiations to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) have caused concerns among government officials and experts because agreeing to TPP proposals may constrain the country's ability to curb rising drug costs.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Jonathan Chan, MMedSc:
- "Vietnam's population reached 90 million by the end of 2013, making it the third most populous country in Southeast Asia and a sizable market for foreign drug manufacturers to consider for investment. An estimated market growth rate of 20 percent through 2017 should signal Vietnam's importance in any company's strategic planning when exploring opportunities in developing markets."
- "Signing off on the TPP agreement would require Vietnam to concede an additional period of data exclusivity on top of a 20-year patent term. This data exclusivity period, which denies drug regulators the use of clinical trial data from the originator to approve generic alternatives until the period expires, typically lasts at least five years, and may not begin until closer to the end of the 20-year patent term. This effectively delays generic competition and keeps drug prices high, outcomes that work against the interests of the country."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
Sep. 27, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,689
Sep. 27, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,880
Sep. 27, 2016 11:34 AM EDT
Sep. 27, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,960
Sep. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 951
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,626
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,748
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,688
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, discussed how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved efficienc...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,408
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,521
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,186
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,853
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Sep. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,154
Sep. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,302