|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 11:44 AM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that, according to surveyed U.S. and EU5 gastroenterologists, effect on mucosal healing and improvement in the maintenance of remission are two of the attributes that most strongly influence their prescribing decisions in moderate to severe ulcerative colitis. Emerging therapies that offer improved effect in these attributes over current therapies would be well received and poised for strong uptake. Based on thought leaders' opinions and clinical trial data, Takeda's vedolizumab (Entyvio) has great potential owing to its improved efficacy in the maintenance of remission and long-term mucosal healing.
Other key findings from the DecisionBase report entitled: Ulcerative Colitis (moderate to severe): Amid significant unmet need, what attributes do gastroenterologists and payers expect of a therapy with a mechanism of action different from the currently available TNF-alpha inhibitors?:
- Surveyed U.S. and EU5 gastroenterologists place great importance in their prescribing decision on therapies that improve efficacy, followed by therapies that offer improvement in safety and/or delivery. Yet, surveyed gastroenterologists also note a high unmet need for therapies that offer a lower risk of serious/opportunistic infections and a more convenient dosage formulation.
- Surveyed U.S. managed care organization pharmacy directors agree that improvements in efficacy is the driving force behind their decision on granting an agent favorable formulary status. Delivery improvements may strengthen a therapy's reimbursement prospects, though such advances will likely need to be accompanied by other clinically meaningful therapeutic gains.
- The Emerging therapy Entyvio has the potential to fulfill gastroenterologists' and payers' unmet needs based on its strong maintenance of remission. Pfizer's oral Xeljanz has the advantage of being a safe therapy for ulcerative colitis, with a low burden of delivery.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Adi Reske, Ph.D.:
- "Gastroenterologists consistently express the need for new therapies with improved efficacy, lower risk of adverse events and better delivery. Emerging therapies for ulcerative colitis offer to fulfill some of these unmet needs; however, given physicians' established long-term experience with the anti-TNF-alpha inhibitors, new therapies in the moderate to severe ulcerative colitis market will likely be reserved for the TNF-refractory subpopulation."
- "Price is a determining factor in decision making for both gastroenterologists and payers. However, therapies for moderate to severe ulcerative colitis that offer improvement on induction and maintenance of remission over current therapies would be eligible for substantial price premiums."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
Sep. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,620
Sep. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,145
Sep. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,095
Sep. 28, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 266
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,767
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 231
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 230
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,719
Sep. 28, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 367
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,806
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,433
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,868
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,491
Sep. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,310