|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 02:53 PM EDT||
ARLINGTON, Va., April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, as part of National Distracted Driving Month, American Trucking Associations is urging motorists to put their cell phones away and focus on safe driving while behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.
In 2012, more than 3,300 people were killed and another 421,000 were injured in distraction-related crashes. In order to reverse this trend, elite drivers are educating the motoring public on how to save lives while driving on our nations' roads.
America's Road Team Captains, professional truck drivers selected for their impressive driving records and commitment to safety, are educating motorists on the dangers of distracted driving. Distracted driving comes in many forms. It can include electronic distractions, like navigation systems and cell phones, or more conventional distractions, like interacting with passengers and eating.
Did you know?
- Writing or reading a text message takes your eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds. At 55 MPH, that's like driving the length of a football field – blindfolded.
- If you text while you're behind the wheel, you're 20 times more likely to be involved in a crash than a non-distracted driver.
- Talking on a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity devoted to driving by 37%.
- 41 states, the District of Columbia and Guam ban text messaging for all drivers.
- 12 states and the District of Columbia prohibit hand-held cell phone use by all drivers.
- Young people are especially at risk: In 2011, 11% of all drivers under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.
- Stay Focused – Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road at all times. One small distraction can cause an accident.
- Put Electronics Away – Put your cell phone away, as well as all electronics, while behind the wheel. Nothing is more important than getting to your destination safely.
- Plan Your Trip – Plan your route ahead of time so you aren't distracted looking at a map or navigation system. Pay attention to highway signs and traffic.
- Be Aware of Blindspots – Trucks have large blindspots in front, back and either side. Try to avoid lingering in this space and do not cut in front of a truck.
- Be a Good Passenger - Speak up if the driver in your car is distracted.
"Motorists need to take responsibility for safety as they navigate our roadways and keep their eyes on the road," said America's Road Team Captain Eddie Weeks, a professional driver with AAA Cooper Transportation. "Putting cell phones away, planning your trip and keeping your eyes on the road will save lives."
The America's Road Team would like to remind the motoring public that from driveway to highway, safety requires patience and dedication.
The America's Road Team, sponsored by Volvo Trucks, is a national public outreach program led by a small group of professional truck drivers who share superior driving skills, remarkable safety records and a strong desire to spread the word about safety on the highway. www.americasroadteam.com
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or on Facebook. Trucking Moves America Forward.
SOURCE American Trucking Associations
Aug. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 536
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 721
Aug. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,439
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,335
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,610
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 629
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 636
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 488
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,352
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,966
Aug. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,961
Aug. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,894
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 769
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 614
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 796