|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 04:48 PM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- San Rafael-based Alcohol Justice and Studio City-based Writers In Treatment are pleased to announce that there will be no shortage of brilliant short films during the first REEL Recovery Film Festival – San Francisco Bay Area Edition - April 24-27, 2014.
"Our recovery short films are potent little vignettes and powerful stories," said Leonard Buschel, founder of Writers In Treatment and the REEL Recovery Film Festival, "I love what Ingmar Bergman said, 'No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of our soul.' These films are as powerful as an O'Henry, Singer or Salinger short story."
Thursday April 24, 2014, 8 p.m.
- The Price of Life (2014) 2 min. You're not alone.
- Serenity Prayer (2014) 4 min. To save his relationship with his son, an alcoholic journeys from addiction to sobriety, inspired by the words of the Serenity Prayer. Dirs. Alex Miranda, Matthew Roth
- Preview/Compilation (2013) 9 min. A look back at REEL Recovery Films from 2013 by Writers In Treatment
Friday April 25, 2014, 4 p.m.
- Challenging Alcohol Marketing to Youth (3 min) - Alcohol is the #1 drug of choice for young people in the USA. Alcohol Justice CHALLENGES global alcohol corporations and their marketing aimed at young people.
- Alcohol Ads + Sports = Bad ROI for Public Health & Safety (13 min) TV sporting events are saturated with beer ads, sponsorship, and celebrity endorsements which are a proven factor in encouraging underage consumption and general misuse of alcohol.
- Free The Bowl® / Free Our Sports® (24 min) This short documentary looks at the creation of the Free The Bowl® and Free Our Sports® youth video contests by Alcohol Justice. Since 2009, over 150 counter beer ads have been produced and entered by young people from across the country. They are protesting the exploitation they feel as targets of alcohol producers who use sports to influence underage drinking.
- Lower Illegal BAC Limit to .05 (4 min) Impaired driving begins with drink #1. Alcohol Justice joined the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in calling for a reduction in the illegal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) per se limit from .08 to .05 or lower in the U.S. to save lives and prevent injuries.
Saturday April 26, 2014, 1:30 p.m.
- Brightwood (2012) 19 min. Drug addicts can just as easily be your "perfect" family next door. Directed by Gabriel Gonda.
- Conversation with Lucifer (2011) 20 min. Recovering addict Darby Quinn goes through the early stages of sobriety. Directed by Cody Boesen.
- Dear Daddy (2013) 8 min. Follow young Emma Walek and her dog through a journey of love, passion and heartache. Directed by Sandra Capra.
- Hiding Games (2012) 13 min. A girl learns to cope with her mother's meth addiction in rural Appalachia. Directed by Michael Wright.
- Sober (2013) 9 min. Marta McGonagle causes a drunk driving crash that paralyzes her sister. She hopes this film will prevent others from making her mistake. Directed by Marta McGonagle.
- Sober Since (2010) 5 min. An alcoholic father struggles to clean up his act after his 13 year-old daughter is molested by a family friend. Directed by Royce Issac.
- Within (2012) 20 min. A self-destructive writer, guided by a guardian angel, discovers the love and strength to survive. Directed by Alex Lane.
- Successful Alcoholics (2010) 26 min. Follows a couple whose "casual drinking" extends to all hours of the day. But unlike most problem drinkers, their professional and personal lives appear to not be harmed by boozing 24/7. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts.
Sunday April 27, 2014, 5:20 p.m.
Mad Dance - Mental Health Trilogy: (85 min) Three poetic and transformative shorts offer new maps for navigating madness with insight, healing and hope.
- Crooked Beauty (34 min) - Artist-activist Jack McNamara's transformative journey from childhood abuse to psych ward inpatient to pioneering mental health advocacy.
- For Shadows (26 min) - A contemplative, multi-layered memoir that unravels the tangled roots of self-harm while coming to terms with one's shadow.
- Light, In! (12 min) - A haunting, visual essay about the awkward and angry junctures where our culture struggles to manage its emotional distress.
Director Ken Paul Rosenthal present for Q & A.
"It's very exciting to shine the spotlight on these short films," stated Michael Scippa, Director of Public Affairs for Alcohol Justice. "There is nothing little about the way they portray extremely sensitive subjects with filmmaking that is truly enlightened."
The goal of the REEL Recovery Film Festival is to highlight the disease as well as the hope and opportunity for recovery. For more information about the festival, purchase tickets, and view a PSA featuring Michael Pritchard go to: FilmFestSFBay.org
"The ticket price for most of the sessions is just $5," added Scippa, "But if there are seats available we'll allow anyone admittance regardless of their ability to pay." Tickets are available exclusively through BrownPaperTickets.com
Sponsors of the REEL Recovery Film Festival San Francisco Bay Area edition currently include Wells Fargo Bank, Duffy's Napa Valley Rehab, Center Point Inc., Kaiser Permanente Marin/Sonoma Area, Reflections, Recovery Station TV Series, Salesforce.com Foundation, KRON-TV, The Michael Basso Foundation, Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services, The Newport Academy, ConocoPhillips, San Francisco Fire Fighters Local 798, County of Marin Division of Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Caron Treatment Centers, SF Weekly/Bay Guardian, The Pacific Sun and numerous individuals.
Contact: Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 415 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Sep. 2, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,563
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 201
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,555
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 190
Moving an existing on-premise infrastructure into the cloud can be a complex and daunting proposition. It is critical to understand the benefits as well as the challenges associated with either a full or hybrid approach. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Richard Weiss, Principal Consultant at Pythian, will present a roadmap that can be leveraged by any organization to plan, analyze, evaluate and execute on a cloud migration solution. He will review the five major cloud transformation phases a...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:21 PM EDT
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 408
Amazon and Google have built software-defined data centers (SDDCs) that deliver massively scalable services with great efficiency. Yet, building SDDCs has proven to be a near impossibility for ‘normal’ companies without hyper-scale resources. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, David Cauthron, founder and chief executive officer of Nimboxx, will discuss the evolution of virtualization (hardware, application, memory, storage) and how commodity / open source hyper converged infrastructure (HCI) so...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 121
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 813
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device acce...
Sep. 2, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 267
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,546
In 2014, the market witnessed a massive migration to the cloud as enterprises finally overcame their fears of the cloud’s viability, security, etc. Over the past 18 months, AWS, Google and Microsoft have waged an ongoing battle through a wave of price cuts and new features. For IT executives, sorting through all the noise to make the best cloud investment decisions has become daunting. Enterprises can and are moving away from a "one size fits all" cloud approach. The new competitive field has ...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 105
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing thes...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 616
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,627
Enterprises can achieve rigorous IT security as well as improved DevOps practices and Cloud economics by taking a new, cloud-native approach to application delivery. Because the attack surface for cloud applications is dramatically different than for highly controlled data centers, a disciplined and multi-layered approach that spans all of your processes, staff, vendors and technologies is required. This may sound expensive and time consuming to achieve as you plan how to move selected applicati...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT