|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 04:48 PM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- San Rafael-based Alcohol Justice and Studio City-based Writers In Treatment are pleased to announce that there will be no shortage of brilliant short films during the first REEL Recovery Film Festival – San Francisco Bay Area Edition - April 24-27, 2014.
"Our recovery short films are potent little vignettes and powerful stories," said Leonard Buschel, founder of Writers In Treatment and the REEL Recovery Film Festival, "I love what Ingmar Bergman said, 'No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of our soul.' These films are as powerful as an O'Henry, Singer or Salinger short story."
Thursday April 24, 2014, 8 p.m.
- The Price of Life (2014) 2 min. You're not alone.
- Serenity Prayer (2014) 4 min. To save his relationship with his son, an alcoholic journeys from addiction to sobriety, inspired by the words of the Serenity Prayer. Dirs. Alex Miranda, Matthew Roth
- Preview/Compilation (2013) 9 min. A look back at REEL Recovery Films from 2013 by Writers In Treatment
Friday April 25, 2014, 4 p.m.
- Challenging Alcohol Marketing to Youth (3 min) - Alcohol is the #1 drug of choice for young people in the USA. Alcohol Justice CHALLENGES global alcohol corporations and their marketing aimed at young people.
- Alcohol Ads + Sports = Bad ROI for Public Health & Safety (13 min) TV sporting events are saturated with beer ads, sponsorship, and celebrity endorsements which are a proven factor in encouraging underage consumption and general misuse of alcohol.
- Free The Bowl® / Free Our Sports® (24 min) This short documentary looks at the creation of the Free The Bowl® and Free Our Sports® youth video contests by Alcohol Justice. Since 2009, over 150 counter beer ads have been produced and entered by young people from across the country. They are protesting the exploitation they feel as targets of alcohol producers who use sports to influence underage drinking.
- Lower Illegal BAC Limit to .05 (4 min) Impaired driving begins with drink #1. Alcohol Justice joined the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in calling for a reduction in the illegal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) per se limit from .08 to .05 or lower in the U.S. to save lives and prevent injuries.
Saturday April 26, 2014, 1:30 p.m.
- Brightwood (2012) 19 min. Drug addicts can just as easily be your "perfect" family next door. Directed by Gabriel Gonda.
- Conversation with Lucifer (2011) 20 min. Recovering addict Darby Quinn goes through the early stages of sobriety. Directed by Cody Boesen.
- Dear Daddy (2013) 8 min. Follow young Emma Walek and her dog through a journey of love, passion and heartache. Directed by Sandra Capra.
- Hiding Games (2012) 13 min. A girl learns to cope with her mother's meth addiction in rural Appalachia. Directed by Michael Wright.
- Sober (2013) 9 min. Marta McGonagle causes a drunk driving crash that paralyzes her sister. She hopes this film will prevent others from making her mistake. Directed by Marta McGonagle.
- Sober Since (2010) 5 min. An alcoholic father struggles to clean up his act after his 13 year-old daughter is molested by a family friend. Directed by Royce Issac.
- Within (2012) 20 min. A self-destructive writer, guided by a guardian angel, discovers the love and strength to survive. Directed by Alex Lane.
- Successful Alcoholics (2010) 26 min. Follows a couple whose "casual drinking" extends to all hours of the day. But unlike most problem drinkers, their professional and personal lives appear to not be harmed by boozing 24/7. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts.
Sunday April 27, 2014, 5:20 p.m.
Mad Dance - Mental Health Trilogy: (85 min) Three poetic and transformative shorts offer new maps for navigating madness with insight, healing and hope.
- Crooked Beauty (34 min) - Artist-activist Jack McNamara's transformative journey from childhood abuse to psych ward inpatient to pioneering mental health advocacy.
- For Shadows (26 min) - A contemplative, multi-layered memoir that unravels the tangled roots of self-harm while coming to terms with one's shadow.
- Light, In! (12 min) - A haunting, visual essay about the awkward and angry junctures where our culture struggles to manage its emotional distress.
Director Ken Paul Rosenthal present for Q & A.
"It's very exciting to shine the spotlight on these short films," stated Michael Scippa, Director of Public Affairs for Alcohol Justice. "There is nothing little about the way they portray extremely sensitive subjects with filmmaking that is truly enlightened."
The goal of the REEL Recovery Film Festival is to highlight the disease as well as the hope and opportunity for recovery. For more information about the festival, purchase tickets, and view a PSA featuring Michael Pritchard go to: FilmFestSFBay.org
"The ticket price for most of the sessions is just $5," added Scippa, "But if there are seats available we'll allow anyone admittance regardless of their ability to pay." Tickets are available exclusively through BrownPaperTickets.com
Sponsors of the REEL Recovery Film Festival San Francisco Bay Area edition currently include Wells Fargo Bank, Duffy's Napa Valley Rehab, Center Point Inc., Kaiser Permanente Marin/Sonoma Area, Reflections, Recovery Station TV Series, Salesforce.com Foundation, KRON-TV, The Michael Basso Foundation, Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services, The Newport Academy, ConocoPhillips, San Francisco Fire Fighters Local 798, County of Marin Division of Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Caron Treatment Centers, SF Weekly/Bay Guardian, The Pacific Sun and numerous individuals.
Contact: Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 415 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
This week, the team assembled in NYC for @Cloud Expo 2015 and @ThingsExpo 2015. For the past four years, this has been a must-attend event for MetraTech. We were happy to once again join industry visionaries, colleagues, customers and even competitors to share and explore the ways in which the Internet of Things (IoT) will impact our industry. Over the course of the show, we discussed the types of challenges we will collectively need to solve to capitalize on the opportunity IoT presents.
Oct. 13, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 116
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Oct. 13, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 122
Containers are all the rage among developers and web companies, but they also represent two very substantial benefits to larger organizations. First, they have the potential to dramatically accelerate the application lifecycle from software builds and testing to deployment and upgrades. Second they represent the first truly hybrid-approach to consuming infrastructure, allowing organizations to run the same workloads on any cloud, virtual machine or physical server. Together, they represent a ver...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 254
As operational failure becomes more acceptable to discuss within the software industry, the necessity for holding constructive, actionable postmortems increases. But most of what we know about postmortems from "pop culture" isn't actually relevant for the software systems we work on and within. In his session at DevOps Summit, J. Paul Reed will look at postmortem pitfalls, techniques, and tools you'll be able to take back to your own environment so they will be able to lay the foundations for h...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 226
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 203
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet condit...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 729
SYS-CON Events announced today that Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, will keynote at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 257
Saviynt Inc. has announced the availability of the next release of Saviynt for AWS. The comprehensive security and compliance solution provides a Command-and-Control center to gain visibility into risks in AWS, enforce real-time protection of critical workloads as well as data and automate access life-cycle governance. The solution enables AWS customers to meet their compliance mandates such as ITAR, SOX, PCI, etc. by including an extensive risk and controls library to detect known threats and b...
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 328
DevOps Summit, taking place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and Javits Center in New York City, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 199
Overgrown applications have given way to modular applications, driven by the need to break larger problems into smaller problems. Similarly large monolithic development processes have been forced to be broken into smaller agile development cycles. Looking at trends in software development, microservices architectures meet the same demands. Additional benefits of microservices architectures are compartmentalization and a limited impact of service failure versus a complete software malfunction....
Oct. 13, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 358
The last decade was about virtual machines, but the next one is about containers. Containers enable a service to run on any host at any time. Traditional tools are starting to show cracks because they were not designed for this level of application portability. Now is the time to look at new ways to deploy and manage applications at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Brian “Redbeard” Harrington, a principal architect at CoreOS, will examine how CoreOS helps teams run in production. Attende...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,343
DevOps and Continuous Delivery software provider XebiaLabs has announced it has been selected to join the Amazon Web Services (AWS) DevOps Competency partner program. The program is designed to highlight software vendors like XebiaLabs who have demonstrated technical expertise and proven customer success in DevOps and specialized solution areas like Continuous Delivery. DevOps Competency Partners provide solutions to, or have deep experience working with AWS users and other businesses to help t...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 297
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server, storage technology and green computing, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data ...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 229
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 343
DevOps has often been described in terms of CAMS: Culture, Automation, Measuring, Sharing. While we’ve seen a lot of focus on the “A” and even on the “M”, there are very few examples of why the “C" is equally important in the DevOps equation. In her session at @DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, of F5 Networks, will explore HTTP/1 and HTTP/2 along with Microservices to illustrate why a collaborative culture between Dev, Ops, and the Network is critical to ensuring success.
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 260