|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 04:48 PM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- San Rafael-based Alcohol Justice and Studio City-based Writers In Treatment are pleased to announce that there will be no shortage of brilliant short films during the first REEL Recovery Film Festival – San Francisco Bay Area Edition - April 24-27, 2014.
"Our recovery short films are potent little vignettes and powerful stories," said Leonard Buschel, founder of Writers In Treatment and the REEL Recovery Film Festival, "I love what Ingmar Bergman said, 'No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of our soul.' These films are as powerful as an O'Henry, Singer or Salinger short story."
Thursday April 24, 2014, 8 p.m.
- The Price of Life (2014) 2 min. You're not alone.
- Serenity Prayer (2014) 4 min. To save his relationship with his son, an alcoholic journeys from addiction to sobriety, inspired by the words of the Serenity Prayer. Dirs. Alex Miranda, Matthew Roth
- Preview/Compilation (2013) 9 min. A look back at REEL Recovery Films from 2013 by Writers In Treatment
Friday April 25, 2014, 4 p.m.
- Challenging Alcohol Marketing to Youth (3 min) - Alcohol is the #1 drug of choice for young people in the USA. Alcohol Justice CHALLENGES global alcohol corporations and their marketing aimed at young people.
- Alcohol Ads + Sports = Bad ROI for Public Health & Safety (13 min) TV sporting events are saturated with beer ads, sponsorship, and celebrity endorsements which are a proven factor in encouraging underage consumption and general misuse of alcohol.
- Free The Bowl® / Free Our Sports® (24 min) This short documentary looks at the creation of the Free The Bowl® and Free Our Sports® youth video contests by Alcohol Justice. Since 2009, over 150 counter beer ads have been produced and entered by young people from across the country. They are protesting the exploitation they feel as targets of alcohol producers who use sports to influence underage drinking.
- Lower Illegal BAC Limit to .05 (4 min) Impaired driving begins with drink #1. Alcohol Justice joined the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in calling for a reduction in the illegal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) per se limit from .08 to .05 or lower in the U.S. to save lives and prevent injuries.
Saturday April 26, 2014, 1:30 p.m.
- Brightwood (2012) 19 min. Drug addicts can just as easily be your "perfect" family next door. Directed by Gabriel Gonda.
- Conversation with Lucifer (2011) 20 min. Recovering addict Darby Quinn goes through the early stages of sobriety. Directed by Cody Boesen.
- Dear Daddy (2013) 8 min. Follow young Emma Walek and her dog through a journey of love, passion and heartache. Directed by Sandra Capra.
- Hiding Games (2012) 13 min. A girl learns to cope with her mother's meth addiction in rural Appalachia. Directed by Michael Wright.
- Sober (2013) 9 min. Marta McGonagle causes a drunk driving crash that paralyzes her sister. She hopes this film will prevent others from making her mistake. Directed by Marta McGonagle.
- Sober Since (2010) 5 min. An alcoholic father struggles to clean up his act after his 13 year-old daughter is molested by a family friend. Directed by Royce Issac.
- Within (2012) 20 min. A self-destructive writer, guided by a guardian angel, discovers the love and strength to survive. Directed by Alex Lane.
- Successful Alcoholics (2010) 26 min. Follows a couple whose "casual drinking" extends to all hours of the day. But unlike most problem drinkers, their professional and personal lives appear to not be harmed by boozing 24/7. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts.
Sunday April 27, 2014, 5:20 p.m.
Mad Dance - Mental Health Trilogy: (85 min) Three poetic and transformative shorts offer new maps for navigating madness with insight, healing and hope.
- Crooked Beauty (34 min) - Artist-activist Jack McNamara's transformative journey from childhood abuse to psych ward inpatient to pioneering mental health advocacy.
- For Shadows (26 min) - A contemplative, multi-layered memoir that unravels the tangled roots of self-harm while coming to terms with one's shadow.
- Light, In! (12 min) - A haunting, visual essay about the awkward and angry junctures where our culture struggles to manage its emotional distress.
Director Ken Paul Rosenthal present for Q & A.
"It's very exciting to shine the spotlight on these short films," stated Michael Scippa, Director of Public Affairs for Alcohol Justice. "There is nothing little about the way they portray extremely sensitive subjects with filmmaking that is truly enlightened."
The goal of the REEL Recovery Film Festival is to highlight the disease as well as the hope and opportunity for recovery. For more information about the festival, purchase tickets, and view a PSA featuring Michael Pritchard go to: FilmFestSFBay.org
"The ticket price for most of the sessions is just $5," added Scippa, "But if there are seats available we'll allow anyone admittance regardless of their ability to pay." Tickets are available exclusively through BrownPaperTickets.com
Sponsors of the REEL Recovery Film Festival San Francisco Bay Area edition currently include Wells Fargo Bank, Duffy's Napa Valley Rehab, Center Point Inc., Kaiser Permanente Marin/Sonoma Area, Reflections, Recovery Station TV Series, Salesforce.com Foundation, KRON-TV, The Michael Basso Foundation, Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services, The Newport Academy, ConocoPhillips, San Francisco Fire Fighters Local 798, County of Marin Division of Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Caron Treatment Centers, SF Weekly/Bay Guardian, The Pacific Sun and numerous individuals.
Contact: Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 415 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 327
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 432
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,711
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 323
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,626
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,150
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,109
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 285
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,773
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 247
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 248
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,724
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,814
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,879
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,499